Alexander Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmwilligan

Alexander Livingston

Post by jmwilligan »

I am looking for information on Alexander Livingston, born 4 April 1872 in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. His parents are Duncan Livingston and Kate Morrison. He married Ellen (or Helen) Jane MacKenzie on the 8 May 1901 in Butte, Montana. His children are Anna born in 1902 in Butte, Montana, Stanley born on the 26 April 1904/1905 in Portland, Maine, John Livingston born about 1907 in the U.S., Richard born about 1909 in Prince Edward Island, Ella born about 1911 in Prince Edward Island, Margaret born about 1913 in Rhode Island and Muriel born about 1915 in Rhode Island.

Alexander became an American citizen on the 18 November 1904 in Portland, Maine. He came to the U.S. in 1888 arriving at Bangor, Maine. He was living in Montana sometime before 1900. He was also living in Prince Edward Island by 1909 as I found him in the census 1911 under the name of Levingston in Rose Valley, Queens County, Prince Edward Island.

I found your forum on the internet and was hoping that someone could tell me more about Alexander and his family in Nova Scotia.

Thanks,
Jo-Ann Willigan
Jewel

Re: Alexander Livingston

Post by Jewel »

Hi Jo Ann,
I took a quick look and found a few things, Alexander was back in the States , there was a 1925 & 1935 state census where he is listed with family in rhode Island.

Also saw him in the 1881 census for whycocomagh Nova Scotia with parents Duncan & Catherine, alexander 9, Donald 7, John 5, M.John 2 and ann 11 months.

Saw the marriage for Duncan Livingston and Catherine Morrison in Inverness on Feb. 1871, Duncan's parents were Alexander & ann Livingston.

Jewel
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi There Jo-Ann,

Our families are likely related and my ancestors came from Whycocomagh too. If you go through the "Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research" thread this family was discussed at length. My grandfather was named John Duncan Livingstone, so I'm pretty sure I have a Duncan in my family history. We know very little about the Whycocomagh Livingstone's and any input into the families here is appreciated. My Great Great Grandfather was Colin Livingstone. He was born in 1818 and as far as we can gather he was the brother of Alexander of Whycocomagh, and John of Mull River. Alexander and John's wives were sisters from Prince Edward Island. We are pretty sure we know who Alexander, John and Colin's father was, but we cannot find proof.

Barry
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Again

I had found this other Livingston in Montana quite awhile ago. He and his wife were both born in Nova Scotia. John Livingston, born in 1875, his wife Katie B. born in 1875, and Duncan Call, one month old at time of 1900 census. I suspect this may be a brother of Alexander. This family was living in Madison, Montana. Anyone care to speculate on this one?

Barry
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Barry,

Saw the 1900 censs for Montana. The John Livingston and wife Kate you mentioned were also in the 1910 & 1920 Montana census. The 1910 census states he was born in November, 1875. I took a look at the Nova Scotia genealogy and they had a John Livingston born Nov. 23, 1875 in Whycocomagh to parents Duncan & Catherine Livingston.

Jewel
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Interesting connection--two more families out there connected? It all comes back to Canada, with so many families, it seems!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmwilligan

Post by jmwilligan »

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for answering my post on Alexander Livingston. How I got started on the Livingston family history is thru my sister's children. She married a Livingston and she has three boys who are interested in their family history. Since I am the family researcher in the family, they turned to me for help in their quest for information on the Livingston family tree. My nephews' grandfather was Stanley Duncan Livingston. His father was Alexander Livingston and his father was Duncan Livingston. And now I know that his father was Alexander Livingston. Do you know where the Livingston family originally came from?

I also have been trying to get in touch with a Livingston family memeber who might have more information on the family in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. My sister thought she heard from her husband's father that there was a brother of Alexander living in Massachusetts by the name of Daniel Livingston. I found a Daniel Livingston living in the 1910 and 1920 Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts censuses. Daniel became an American citizen on 1 October 1919 stating he was born on the 27 November 1873 in Whycocomagh, Nova Scotia.

Thanks for the information,
Jo-Ann
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jo-Ann;

The Daniel Livingston referenced in the U.S. census was born Donald Livingston December 27, 1873, at Whycocomagh, Cape Breton; son of Duncan Livingson and Kate Morrison who were married February 7, 1871 at Whycocomagh.
It was, at one time: due to the Scottish naming tradition, that guys who were named after an ancestor - eg. Donald - called themselves Daniel. As my great grandfather Donald David Livingstone called himself Daniel and DD.
Duncan b. November 20, 1846, Cape Breton, d. age 91, May 22, 1938; was the son of Alexander and Ann Livingston. Some of this information has been, previously, stated.

Regards;

Roberta
jmwilligan

Post by jmwilligan »

Hi Barry,

I found this information on John Livingston and Katie in Massachusetts. On the 28 June 1899 John and Katie were married in Boston, Massachusetts. John's parents were listed as Duncan Livingston and Katie Morrison. Katie's parents were Allen McCall and Annie McArthur. Both were born in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The source comes from familysearch.org, Massachusetts Marriages 1841-1915, City of Boston, page 55, # 83.

I also found this information on Daniel Livingston and Sarah MacDonald in Massachusetts. On 7 November 1900 Daniel and Sarah were married in Boston, Massachusetts. Daniel's parents were listed as Duncan Livingston and Katie Morris (Morrison?). Daniel was born in Nova Scotia and Sarah was born in Port Hastings. The source is the same as above in the City of Boston, # 94. I also found Daniel's naturalization record where he stated he was born on 27 November 1873 in Whycocomagh, Nova Scotia.

It looks like Duncan had 3 sons (Alexander, Daniel and John) that went to American, settled here, raised famlies and became citizens. Daniel raised his family in Massachusetts and John raised his family in Montana. Alexander was first in Maine, then Montana, then back to Maine, went to Prince Edward Island (where his wife was born), came back to the United States and finally settled in Rhode Island. I don't know if Duncan had any other children that came to the United States and settled here.

Regards,
Jo-Ann
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Joanne,
As Roberta mentioned the Whycocomagh Livingston ancestry has been discussed at length in past postings a while back and has been of considerable interest to Barry and others with likely family connections to the Whycocomagh or neighbouring Mull River,Mabou, Inverness County, Cape Breton,NS Livingstons. Here is Canadian census info regarding this family line. A Dr. James St. Clair of Mabou,Inverness County, Cape Breton is related to your Whycocomagh and neighbourin Mull RIver, Inverness County Cape BReton, Nova Scotia Livingstons has spent a lifetime researching these families and quite knowledable regarding Duncan's father Alexander Livingston and family. We did not discuss however the later Massachussetts connection though our Cape Breton researchers Jewel Brown and Roberta Livingstone have studied a number of Massachusetts Livingstones and may have insight into Duncan's sons in Massachusetts.

In terms of the earllier Canadian census family info:
The 1881 Census for Whycocomagh,Inverness County, Cape Breton,Nova Scotia includes Duncan Levingston age 35, wife Catharine (Morrison) age 35
and sons Alexander age 9, Donald age 7 and John age 5.

The 1871 Census for Whycocomagh, Inverness County,Cape Breton,Nova Scotia records Duncan the year he married his wife Catharine Morrison residing with his parents Alexander Livingston born abt. 1814 or 1815 in( Mull, Argyllshire)Scotland and Ann (also Livingston) born abt. 1825 in Prince Edward Island,Canada and lists Duncan's brothers in 1871. The Children of Alexander and Ann Livingston as recorded in the 1871 Nova Scotia Census are: Duncan the eldest born abt. 1846 age 25 born NS (married Feb. 1871 to Catharine Morrison), Dougall age 20, James age 16 and Donald age 7.

Duncan Livingston born abt. 1846 was raised by his Parents Alexander and Ann Livingston at Skye Mountain, Whycocomagh, Cape Breton according to Cape Breton Livingston expert Dr.James St Clair of Mabou, Mull RIver near Whycocomagh. Alexander and his wife Ann may have lived at nearby Mull RIver prior to establishing themselves at Skye Mountain, Whycocomagh.

I noticed I had written in Dr. St. Clair's information he sent me regarding the Whycocomagh Livingstons that we had been told that Duncan's son JOhn Livingston born abt. 1876? had gone to Boston, Mass. This apparently according to one of John's descendants. I did not know details about the other brothers going to Massachusetts but that does not surprise me. Dr. St. Clair and I did not get into the later generations but I know that others probably have. At the time I was focused on trying to see if a connection between the early Whycocomagh Livingstons and their Mull River Liviingstons in 19th century Cape Breton, Nova Scotia could be proven. Your ancestor Alexander Livingston was born abt. 1814 or 1815 in Mull,Argyllshire, Scotland may be the son of John Livingston Sr. and Catharine Campbell who Mull records indicated left Mull in 1821 for Nova Scotia and had a son ALexander born around 1814. This may be the John Livingston that settled at Mull River near to a Campbell family at Mull River near Whycocomagh in INverness County, Cape Breton a couple of years later in 1824.

Our Atlantic Canada Livingston experts Roberta, Jewel and Barry may have further insight and comments on the later Massachusetts connection to this Whycocomagh family and the whereabouts Duncan's three sons Alexander born abt. 1872, Donald born 1873,John b. abt. 1876 Interesting that Donald is referred to as Daniel in later information in Massachusetts. I have however noticed from time to time Daniel referred to as Donald and Donald referred to Daniel and Roberta makes a good point regarding the reasons for this.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society