Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

I became interested in the Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons as an old Ontario,Canada newspaper article mentioned that John Livingstone (1811-1899) of Listowel,Perth County, Ontario, Canada older brother of Dr. Livingstone had stated in the 1870's to a journalist that he had a cousin named John Livingston whom lived at the highland line of Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario. As Dr. Livingstone's brother John Livingstone had lived in Lanark Township, Lanark County,Ontario from 1840 to 1860 with his wife Mary Mackenzie and family when they first arrived in Canada I had always wondered if he had any family connections to the other Livingston families that settled in Lanark County earlier as pioneers in the 1820's.

In fact some interesting information has emerged regarding the Dalhousie Township Livingstons which seems to possibly link them to Dr. Livingstone and his brother John's family. It is known that three Scottish settlers Alexander, John and Duncan Livingston settled in Dalhousie Township by about 1820/1821 and received land grants from the Government of Upper Canada as they opened up settlement in what was then the Lanark Military settlement in Upper Canada. All three Livingston were assigned land grants in close proximity to one another. Alexander was first located at Concession 11 Lot 5 East in 1820, then John was located at Concession 10 Lot 6 East August 30th 1821 and Duncan Livingston at Concession 9 Lot 7 a few days later on September 1st 1821. After the War of 1812, this part of Upper Canada was opened up to settlement and British settlers, and military veterans were offered 100 acre land grants. In 1820/1821 Scottish weavers and others from Lanarkshire were encouraged to settle in what became Lanark County, Upper Canada and number of them were known to have settled in Dalhousie Township. Many of these Scots who may resided in Lanarkshire or Perthshire Scotland in the lowlands were actually of highland Scot origin in Argyllshire as was the case we have found of all the Livingstons who settled in Lanark County, Upper Canada at this time. We dont precisely where the three Livingstons that settled in Dalhousie Township in 1820/1821 resided at the time they received their 100 acre land grants and it could have been in a lowland county where they were working. We do however have information linking them to highland Livingston family origins.

Based upon what is known of these Dalhousie Township Livingstons by their descendants and Argyllshire Scotland parish records, it would seem most likely that John, Alexander, Duncan and Hugh who settled in Dalhousie Township circa 1820/1821 were the sons of Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Kilninian parish, Mull. Given that Dr. Livingstone's brother John referred to John Livingston of highland line, Dalhousie Township as his cousin it is especially interesting that these Livingstons apparently have a Lettermore, Mull connection. It is clear from the Kilninian Parish, Mull baptism records that Dr. Livingtone's grandfather Neil Livingstone and his wife Mary Morrison lived at Lettermore for a few years in the 1770's before moving on the nearby southern shore of the Island of Ulva.

While there has been some speculation in the past regarding the possibility that this Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton were Dr. Livingstone's and brother John's Uncle and Aunt, this notion seems at odds with notion that Dr. Livingstone's Uncle Duncan was born abt. 1781 put forward by the late Dr. David Livingstone Wilson, Dr. Livingstone's great grandson in his family research. Now the Duncan Livingston who resided at Lettermore in the late 1700's seems to have actually been born much later that this in the 1760's probably. This however does not diminish the possibility that Duncan Livingston and family of Lettermore, Mull are kin to Dr. Livingstone and his brother John who lived in Canada. But if so then how? The parish records are no help as they dont even indicate that Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingson and his wife Mary Morrisson even had a son named Duncan though Dr. Livingstone's brother John Livingstone mentions him.If not a brother of Dr. Livingstone's father could he a younger brother of Dr. Livingstone's Grandfather. THe problem with that scenario is that if you accept Dr. Livingstone's account of his great grandfather, he was killed in 1746 at Culloden then Dr. Livingstone's grandfather could have no younger brother born after 1746. So I am left with a bit a mystery regarding the true nature of the family connection that Dr. Livingstone's brother alluded to in the 1870's, but it seems clear enough that Alexander, John and Duncan are in any event sons of Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Mull and this in itself is a significant bit of information.

The Kilninian Parish records back in Mull, Argyllshire Scotland indicate that Duncan was the eldest of the sons of Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton born abt. 1791. John was born abt. 1792 a date which seems to be confirmed in the 1851 Dalhousie Township census which records him as age 49. He was married to Catharine. Alexander was born abt. 1797 and does not appear in the Kilninian parish records but is almost certain he is a son of Duncan and Christian Beaton. He died in 1840 in Dalhousie Township and was married to Mary Currie. Alexander is buried in the Highland Line Cemetery in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario and is almost certainly the Alexander Livingston that Dr. Livingstone's brother believed was a "cousin". There is or was a cemetery stone in the old Highland Line Cemetery in Dalhousie Township which stated Alexander Livingston died April 11, 1840 Native of Isle of Mull.

There was also a sister Catharine Livingston born abt. 1800 to Duncan and Christian Livingston at Lettermore according to the kilninian parish, Mull records who was married to a Duncan Stewart and in 1800's lived near to Alexander and John Livingston in Dalhousie Township. She appears as Catharine Stewart age 50 in the 1851 Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario residing with husband Duncan and appearing to be neighbours to Alexander Livingston's widow Mary and her son Duncan Livingston Farmer. Presumingly the younger Duncan was named after his grandfather back in Lettermore, Mull.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Re: Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

www.mullfamilies.co.uk has the following info on a Duncan & Christine (Beaton);

1. Jane b. abt. 26.11.1788 at Kilninian & Kilmore.
2. Catherine b. abt. 10-09-1800 at Kilninian & Kilmore),

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Yes the Catharine Livingston you mentioned is the one that settled in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County Upper Canada (Ontario) and was married to a Duncan Stewart. I have genealogy information on this Catharine Livingston and her husband Duncan Stewart recently submitted to me by a local historian along with some other Dalhousie Township Livingston info which I found quite interesting.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

1.Alexander Livingston b. abt. 1797 Mull died April 11,1840 buried Highland Line Cemetery, Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario. His cemetery stone inscription refers to him as a "Native of Mull". Married to Mary Currie.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

This looks like the same family;

Duncan Livingstone, b., abt. 1832, f. Alexander / m. Mary Currie.

Duncan married Euphenia (sp.?) McLean, 09 Aug. 1859 at Lanark, Ontario.

Brides parents, Alexander McLean & Christina Gillies,

John.
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

I think this is the family too.

Comes from the mullgeneology.co.uk page.

Duncan Livingston
Wife: Christian BEATON
Children:
Jean [Janet] (bap) 26 Nov 1788 -
Duncan (bap) 15 Apr 1791 -
John (bap) 22 Aug 1792 -
Catherine (bap) 10 Sep 1800 -
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

I came across the following info in Ancestry;

1. Christian Beatons parents, f. Hugh Beaton b. abt. 1750 & m. Catherine McDonald b. abt. 1755.

2. Mary Currie b. abt. 1795 at Bailibeg, Strachur, Argyllshire, f. Hugh Currie & m. Barbara Manson 1755 - 1799.

d. 16 May 1879 at Hibbert Twp., Perth County, Ontario.

It is thought that the name was originally McCurrie.

3. Alexander & Marys family,

Barbara m. James Purdon.

Christina m. Neil McKeller.

Hugh unmarried.

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Some more info,

1. Alexander Livingstone arrived Quebec with wife summer of 1821. Located at Lot 5FE, Con. 11, Dalhousie Twp., Lanark County, Ontario.
Probably on ship David of London.

2. Duncan & John Livingstone, both departed Greenock, Scotland on board the ship David of London, 19 May 1821, for Dalhousie Twp.
Duncan was accompanied by his wife & 6 children, John by his wife.

3. Catherine Livingstone from Isle of Mull to Lanark County 1850, moved to Perth County 1852, & married Duncan Stewart, I'm not sure if she is a relative of the above three brothers or not.

I believe this info was extracted from Canadian/Ontario records,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Absolutely. Catharine and her husband Duncan Stewart were neighbours of her brother Alexander Livingston and his wife Mary Currie in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada. After Alexander Livingston died in 1840, his son Duncan took over the farm with his mother Mary. Alexander and Catharine;s brother JOhn and his wife Catharine are also living on a farm not far from them. Alexander, John and Catharine also had a brother Duncan who settled with them in 1820 or 1821 in Dalhousie Township but I dont know what became of him. He is not in 18511852 census only his nephew Duncan Livingston son of late Alexander According a descendant of Duncan and Catherine Stewart, Alexander, John, DUncan Livingston and Mrs Duncan Stewart were all children of Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Kilninian Parish, Mull. From the information I have looked at I believe she is correct.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Morning all,

Possible family of Duncan Livingstone & Christian Beaton.

I've come across another probable daughter, Jean b. abt. 1788, who married Neil McNeil, b. abt 1786 at Kilninian & Kilmore, Mull, no marriage date available at present.

They had four or five children born at Kilninian & Kilmore, the last child listed, Hugh was baptised on 19 March 1823, religion Presbyterian at Perth, Lanark, Ontario.

I've not had time yet to check if they also emigrated on the David of London in 1821, nor am I 100% certain the information is correct, it's probably worth a further look at,

John