Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

That comes originally from DOnald Whyte's two volume set: A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada Before Confederation. It was a mammoth task I a ceratin collecting all this summarized info on thousands of Scots who settled in Canada. In such a situation however it is likely that some errors occurred. There is little doubt that they arrived in what is today Dalhousie Township Lanark County around 1820/1821 however from the origina records on Lanark COunty Ontario settlement Volume 421 in 62 and 63 it indicated what I have been suspecting from the passenger list of the David of London and other ships from 1821 that carried the Emigration society settlers from Lanarkshire and Perthshire etc that Duncan, ALexander and JOhn were not amongst any of these lowland settlement groups and the only Livingston family amongst them was that of Suzannes ancestor William Livingston. He came with his wife Isabella Bremner daughter of George Bremner Sr. President of the Deanstone by Doune Emigration Society aboard the David of London with nine or ten other lowland emigration societies.

Regarding your Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons, Section 62 and 63 of Volume 421 list settlers who are in the process of patent on their land grant after having done the required clearing of the land and residing on it for a while. The first collection is dated January 1, 1825 and tells us that Alex's brother John Levingston is located on Concession 10, Lot 6 east 100 acres and that Alex's brother Duncan Levingston is located Concession 9 Lot 7 West 100 acres and Alex's brother in law, Duncan Stewart Concession 11 Lot 5 W. in Dalhousie Township and in 63 dated December 27, 1824 we find listed ALexander Levingston at Concession 11 Lot 5 west 100 acres and an unknown Hugh Levingston Concession 9 Lot 6w 100 acres Dalhousie Township. (Hugh might be another brother or relative of Alex, Duncan and John but I was not aware of him.) So what this land info tells us is that they were all located a few years earlier in close proximity to one another in the Lanark Military Settlement. I also noticed at the end of 62 and 63 and with the lists of these particular settlers indicates that "the persons recorded on this list had not belonged to Societies of Emigration from Lanarkshire Scotland." So that saved me alot of trouble trying to locate them with a Glasgow or some other emigration society based in Lanarkshire. They also as I mentioned to not show on the many surviving lists of other Emigration societies that were included in the 1821 arrivals. So did come directly from Mull by boat with a Mull group of settlers and are on a surviving passenger list. That seems to be the case. As I have access to a copy of the original David of London Passenger list from the May 1821 voyage that William Livingston of Lanark Township, Ontario was on I am quite certain the Mull Livingstons were not aboard it with him. I think what has happened is that some one a long time ago researching Lanark County Livingsons just assumed as they all arrived around 1821 that they were together on the same boat. Certainly both Volume 421 and the other Scottish records collection that Donald Whyte referenced in his books does not state what ship they were passengers actually. Your point that one entry states only "probably on the David of London is correct.

In any event there may not be many descendants around the area today. Before 1824 we had Alexander on 11-5 W, Hugh on 9-6w, John on 10-6 e and Duncan on 9-7w in close proximity to each other. Studying the deed abstract for Dalhousie Township and the 1842 Dalhousie Township Census it is clear Duncan sold his lot in 1827 and Hugh's lot ended up in the hands of John Levington with Hugh disappearing from scene and is not listed in the 1842 Census in Dalhousie Township. So by the time of the 1842 Census only the brother John still living in the area and a son of Alexander is present with ALexander deceased and his wife Mary Currie living with Alexander's son Duncan. Alexander' son Duncan sells the farm in 1864 and that seems to be the end of that family in the area. And John Livingston and his wife Catharine sell their farm in Dalhousie Township at Concession 9 Lot 6 in 1873. It may well explain why I only found pioneer Alexander Livingston's 1840 gravestone in the old Highland Line Scottish pioneer cemetery in Dalhousie Township in a number of pieces but still quite legible for its age but none of his brothers.

regards,

Donald
jae47

Post by jae47 »

I'm a new forum member, and very interested in this thread on Alexander Livingston and family of Dalhousie. I am a descendent of his, and I've noticed a bit of my posted information from ancestry.com has made it into the thread.

Alexander's widow, Mary, and some of the next generation, relocated to Hibbert and Fullarton townships of Perth Co., Ontario. I have not thoroughly traced their movements through the census data yet, but have started working on it,

I have not yet confirmed a death date and place of his widow, Mary Currie Livingston. One comment in this thread is, I think, taken from information in my ancestry.com tree and I've recently found it to be incorrect. The death date of 16 May 1879 (as Mrs. Peter McDonald) and burial place in Cromarty Presbyterian Cemetery (with sister Isabella Currie McKellar) is incorrect. This Mary Currie (Mrs. Peter McDonald) is not the same person as the widow of Alexander Livingston. We believe one was the half-niece of the other, but they were only a few years apart in age. (Family letters, referenced below, make it clear that there were two Marys, not one widow that later remarried.)

I do have a typescript copy of Alexander's 1839 will if anyone would like a copy. It sheds no light on his arrival date, or his Mull origins.

I also have encountered the claim that Alexander was a first cousin of David Livingston in at least one source dating to the early 1900s -- a story that was clearly closely held by his grandchildren. For years I and many others have been unable to confirm the story, and I'm very interested to read here about the news article quoting Dr. Livingston's brother regarding his Lanark Co. cousins!

Finally, I've recently been given copies of correspondence written by another Lanark Co. ancestor of mine, Donald McKellar, in which he makes brief reference to Alexander Livingston and wife Mary Currie, just after McKellar's arrival in the area in summer 1828. (Donald bought a cow from Alexander, and mentioned he was married to Mary -- a relation of Donald's wife.) I suspect Mary arrived in Lanark Co. in 1824, with most of her brothers and sisters. Her father and brother (both Hugh) arrived in 1821.
Canadian Livingstone

Welcome to the Forum,

I think I determined that circa 1851 Ontario Census in Dalhousie Township Lanark County that ALex and Mary's son Duncan was living on the family farm with his widowed mother Mary. I will have to dig up the census records to refresh my memory however. Are you descended from ALex and Mary's son Duncan?
Yes there has been some discussion here regarding the Lanark County, Upper Canada Livingstons and was particularly interested in the Mull Livingstons that settled in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County. Many of the Scots that settled in the 1820's in Lanark County were from Perth County, Scotland but these Dalhousie Livingstons were clearly of Mull and of highland Livingston origin without doubt. As the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Historian I was extremely fortunate to receive some old info that a Mull Livingstone family researcher had received from a decendant of ALexander's sister Catharine (Mrs Duncan Stewart) quite a few years ago now. This info indicated to me that ALexander, John and Duncan Livingston who settled in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County in the 1820's along with their sister Catharine were the children of a Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton who resided in Mull. Alexander's tombstone also indicates he was a native of Mull. John LIvingston 1811-1899 of Listowel Ontario older brother of Dr. Livingstone does not provide detailed info regarding the family connection but for some reason he himself believed and stated in a newspaper article fromt he 1870's that he was a cousin of Alex Livingston or his brother John of the Highland Line, Dalhousie Township, Lanark County Livingstons which would be your Livingston family one way or the other. I will have find that exact quote again. I think Dr. Livingstones brother mentioned Alex, but in any event it was Alex or John and I remember quite well his mentioning that this Livingston cousin resided on the Highland Line which is in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County. Also note that Dr. Livingtones brother JOhn and his family first settled in Lanark Township, Lanark County in the 1840's where they lived in the town of Lanark before John established himself as a merchant in the town of Listowel in Perth County, ONtario. I dont really know if they were first cousins and they may have actually have been second cousins. I do know that that Alexs parents resided in Lettermore, MUll in the late 1700's and that Dr. Livingstones grandparents Neil Livingston and Mary MOrrison were married in 1774 at Lettermore, Mull and some of the Dr. Livingstone's eldest Uncles and an Aunt were born at Lettermore. So I found from my research that these two Livingston families at leaast early on seemed to have resided in the Lettermore Mull area but how closely related they are I have no documented proof. Still the fact that Dr. Livingstones brother refered to ALex I think it was of the highland line as his cousin is ceratinly food for speculation. The Maclea Livingstone Society reccomends that if you really want to know if your branch of the Livingstons are related to Dr. Livingstone's family line a DNA test with the FAmily Tree DNA company is an easy way to determine this. A number of Livingstons/Livingstones associated with the Clan SOciety and others interested in establising their Livingston ancestral origins through DNA are currently participating in a Livingstone DNA project.

I will try and dig up some the old research material I was provided and see if there is any else of interest regarding the Dalhousie Township Livingstons. IN the mean time I hope the information we have provided and discussed here is some help in your own family research efforts.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Historian
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

James,

We would definitely love to have copies of the documents you reference. They can be attached to a message included on the Forum, or you can email them to me and I will be happy to post them, if you're okay with that? It would be great for others to have access to them too!

Donald is 100% on target about the DNA project as well. We know Dr. Livingstone's line with certainty in the DNA project and anyone else who tests will be able to prove relatedness in the direct male line (so this is usually men with the Livingstone surname--ask me if you have questions). If there's anyone in your line to test, we can prove whether this line is related to the Doctor's line with a simple cheek swab.

Welcome again to the Forum!

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi James,
Yes it we would be interested in seeing the will. I was not certain what happened to Alexanders family after they left Lanark County so we appreciate any of the later info as well. The tombstone of ALexander Livingston as I mentioned earlier in one of my messages can be found in old Highland Line cemetery in Dalhousie township, Lanark County, Ontario unfortunately with the descendants likely not residing in the area anymore there is no one likely to look after it or to repair/restore it. I recall seeing a photo of it online somewhere a while ago now. The gravestone of Alexander Livingston is legible but broken and lying half buried in the ground. In time the stone will become considerably more weathered and its condition will unfortunately worsen unless someone mounts the pieces onto a concrete slab and stands it upright.
If I have it correctly, Alex's son Duncan took over the farm after his father died, and according to the 1852 Canada West Census for Dalhousie Township, Lanark County resided on the family farm with his mother Mary and his younger brother Hugh born abt. 1833 or 1834 in Canada and subsequently Duncan in 1864 sold the farm in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County. The information you have is that the family of Alex moved on to Fullerton and Hibert Township, Perth County, Ontario. That is interesting. If you could give us some details of the family tree that indicates how you are connected to the family of Alex Livingston and Mary Currie.

Here is the earliest census info from the 1852 Canada West (Ontario) records, Dalhousie Township, Lanark Township
This is written as it was recorded on the original census page. I have the original census page somewhere on file.
Christina McKellar age 23 ( these must be from the McKellar family you mentioned)
Donald McKellar age 3
Duncan Livingston age 21 Farmer (son of Alexander Livingston)
Mary Livingston age 50 (widow of Alexander Livingston)
Hugh Livingston age 18 (son of Alexander Livingston)
Duncan Stewart age 56 Farmer
Catharine Stewart age 50 (Alex Livingston's sister)
Dugald Stewart age 23
Duncan Stewart age 21
Euphemia Stewart age 19
Angus Stewart age 14
Alex Stewart age 11
James Stewart age 8

I assume then you are descended from Alex's son Duncan or Hugh. (Forgot about Hugh)

regards,

Donald
jae47

Post by jae47 »

Thanks for the replies, and apologies for my sporadic monitoring of the forum!

After Christmas I will scan the will typescript mentioned.

I am descended through several generations of daughters, so I do not know if the DNA testing mentioned would be revealing.

Alexander Livington and Mary Currie's daughter Barbara Livingston (b. 1828, m. James Purdon) is my father's great-grandmother, on his mother's side. We have most of the information mentioned in previous postings (headstone transcription, census records, etc.), as well as word-of-mouth (and 100-year-old obituary) claims of close kinship to Dr Livingstone, so I am very interested in the 1870s news article quoting Dr. David's brother.

Many Lanark Co. settlers of the 1820s moved on to Perth County in the 1850s and 1860s, where the land was better. This is true of numerous Currie, McKellar, and Purdon ancestors of mine, and their relations. I have not been able to locate Mary Currie Livingston after the 1852 census (with son Duncan, in Lanark County, as mentioned above).

All are welcome to view my ancestry.com tree called Purdon-Gillespie-Livingston-McKellar. It's a "public" tree, but I don't know if you have to be a registered ancestry.com user for this link to work:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/19491056 ... =810119154

James Eason
jae47

Post by jae47 »

Regarding the 1852 census listing quoted above:

Christina McKellar (about 1829-1891) was a daughter of Alexander Livingston (therefore a sister of my gr-gr-grandmother Barbara). She married Neil McKellar in 1848. Neil was the son of another ancestor of mine, Donald McKellar, and Neil's mother (Isabelle Currie McKellar) is believed to have been a half-sister of Alexander Livingston's wife (Mary Currie). (This would make them half-first-cousins -- a bit close for comfort these days, but genetically similar to 2nd cousins...)

Christina and Neil's family, (Donald, Alexander, Christine, and Bella) were born between 1849 and 1858. By the 1861 census they were in Hibbert Township, Perth County, Ontario -- as were the family of Neil's brother Donald McKellar and many Currie cousins.
jae47

Post by jae47 »

Livingston-Alex_Will-1839-smaller.pdf
Attached is the copy of the Alexander Livingston will mentioned in earlier post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi James,
Thanks for that.If one is lucky enough to find a will like this it often contains info of great importance to ones research. Your the first descendant of Alexander Livingston of Dalhousie Township, Lanark County that has contacted the society but I have been sorting out and learning about the different Livingston families that settled in various townships of Lanark County over the last few years. Hopefully other descendants of ALexander and his brothers will see your postings on the forum in the future.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi James

I was curious who the John Livingston/e was. He was one of the executors of the will, doesn't sound like one of Alex's sons. Could he be a brother or other relation? Or not a relation at all?

I also noticed they liked to alternate Livingston and Livingstone in the document, which I wouldn't have expected.

Thanks for sending that--not a huge amount genealogically to work with, but an incredible resource for anyone researching this line!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com