Harry (Henry) Ernest Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Harry (Henry) Ernest Livingston

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald/McAlpin,

Ancestry keep names & e-mail addresses private, some of the people researching your family are Wells/Sullivan/Rye/Case-Reckan/Williamson, thats all the info available, there are probably another 5 or 6 who do not publish any part of their names.

Richard Edward Livingstone 1814-1895 in Plymouth married to
Mary Perryman 1824-1903 married 1842, both died in Plymouth.

1851 census at Charles the Martyr, Plymouth & 1861/71/81 at St.Andrews, Plymouth.

Children;

Caroline 1846
Richard 1848
Robert 1850
John 1853
William 1855
Samuel 1857
Andrew 1859
Mary 1861
James 1863
Henry 1865
Charles 1867-1914 died Devon.

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald/McAlpin,

I'm repeating some of what Donald has already posted, with a little bit more info.

Henry Livingstone b. 1865 Plymouth married Rose Maynard b. abt. 1862 St.George, London, marriage date unknown.

Family;

Emily L. b. 1868 at Benthall, Shropshire.
Harry E. b. 1890-1970.
Albert Maynard 1892-1979 born Horley, d. London ?, married Edith Priscilla Andrews 1913 in London
Evan McGregor b. 1895 Plymouth, there are more records on war service etc available.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Those are the children listed in the 1851,1861 and 1871 Census records. That must be all of the family of Richard and Mary Livingston of Plymouth, Devon. There does not seem to be a lot of Livingstons in Plymouth in early 1800's beside Richard.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald/McAlpin,

I had a look at birth records for all of the UK, I can only find one Richard Livingstone, b. 1793 at Kirk Andrews Upon Esk, Cumberland, England, his parents were George Livingstone & Jane Little, I am not saying this is the correct Richard, but given the family names of other Livingstone relations of this Richard, many Edwards etc, it could be worth investigating further.

In answer to McAlpins question, Livingstones originate from Scotland, if you search this site, you will find a mass of info on the origin of the name Livingstone, DNA testing has also proved effective in tracking our origins, I will not even attempt to elaborate on how this works, others on the site are the experts on DNA & who should test.

There is one Richard Livingstone resident in Plymouth at present, & a total of four in the phone directories for the area, I think, given as Donald stated, there was probably only one Livingstone family in the area for many years, since the 1700's, it's possible there is still only one family, so it might be worth a phone call to this Richard, you may be lucky & find he is a relation,

John
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

McAlpin,

Other than a few Leibensteins (German) who became Livingstons/Livingstones in the US, and a few Irish Livingstons that we cannot trace back to Scotland (but who probably originate there), I'm not aware of any families that don't ultimately have a Scottish derivation.

If you do have male Livingston/Livingstone relatives, we could definitely have them tested as part of the DNA Project to see what areas in Scotland your Livingston/e family may originate from!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John and Kyle,

I suspect it cant be traced beyond Richard's birth at Plymouth, Devonshire around 1812-1814 period. And even that we only know from the English census records as I cant find a birth or baptismal record. We may never know who his parents were as unfortunately not only is there likely no baptismal or birth record from Plymouth, England but his 1895 Plymouth death records probably does not list the name of his parents unlike the Scotish records which do. Something that was just pointed out to me. So no real point locating a copy of the death record. Richard's family presumingly lived briefly in Plymouth around the time of his birth and I would assume then that they may have attended either one of two Presbyterian churches in the Plymouth area or possibly a Church of England church. I would encourage the family researcher in the future to check to be sure that Richard's baptism or birth is not recorded in the records of one of these local congregations in the early 1800's but I havent seen it in the LDS records. The records tend to indicate that he was born around 1812-1814 and several census records state Plymouth as his birth place so I assume that information came from Richard himself or his wife and passed on to the census taker. It is unfortunate that the English death records does not likely mention Richards parents but that appears to be probably the case. Presumingly Richards parents were in the Plymouth area in the early 1800's when he was born but they dont appear to be in the area by the time of the 1841 Census which is unfortunate.

I think it possible that Richard is connected to a Livingston family with earlier connections to Yorkshire,England and Cheshire but that is just speculation on my part. Connecting them to a Scottish Livingston family is nearly impossible I suspect with the lack of records.

regards,

Donald
McAlpin

Post by McAlpin »

Thanks again everyone.
I've just learned that one of our cousins may have linked this Richard E. (b.1814) from another Richard Livingston (b.1793 approx.) and possibly from Cumberland, England. I don't know how much info is available from that area of Northern England but perhaps we are closer to that Scottish link ? (geographically anyway).
Take care.

McAlpin
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

McAlpin,

The Richard below also appears in other records as being born 1793, & at some point living in Carlisle, which is very close to the Scots border,

John

1851 England Census
Name: Richard Livingston
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1791
Relation: Father
Where born: Kirkandrews Esk, Cumberland, England
Civil parish: Holbeck
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street Address:
Condition as to marriage:
Disability:
Registration district: Hunslet
Sub-registration district: Holbeck
ED, institution, or vessel: 3x
Neighbors:

Household schedule number: 60
Piece: 2317
Folio: 516
Page Number: 15
Household Members:
Name Age
John Livingston 32
Mary Livingston 30
Mary Livingston 5
Ann Livingston 1
Richard Livingston 60
Hannah Kitchen 19
Thomas Vasey 18
William Nixon 17
livvie

Post by livvie »

McAlpin wrote:Hello fellow Livingstone descendants.
Would appreciate any input/info info on my G-Grandfather Henry Ernest Livingstone (b.1890 approx., where?)
Any insights/help with respect to his parents or siblings would be duly appreciated.
According to my grandmother had always claimed relations to famous Dr. Livingstone.
Married: Gladys Parker in Chelsea, Eng on April 6, 1914
Emigrated to Canada in 1917 and settled on Vancouver island (Ladysmith).
Had two daughters Gladys and Jennifer (Jean)
Kind regards,

McAlpin
Hi he was my grandfathers brother