Clan Maclea/Livingstone and O'Neill connection?

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Clan Maclea/Livingstone and O'Neill connection?

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Steven,
Yes definitely he was born in October of 1871 not 1872 according to the info that Roberta found.
The information that Jewel had was from the 1900 and 1920 Census and I think the 1910 Census also indicates that Katharine was his wife and marion his daughter. Looks like this is next thing we need to sort out though it does look like the census info that Jewel located is likely correct. ANyways we may be able to sort it all out tommorow.

To be honest we receive alot inquiries about a family connection to Dr. Livingstone. I think you will find that alot of Livingstone families are convinced they are related and have old family stories that there Scottish ancestors back in the old country were related to Dr. Livingstone. We really tried but I am just not seeing any likely connection especially given the probable origins of your specific Livingston group apparently connected to old Aberdour Parish, Fifeshire Livingstones.

regards,

Donald
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

This relates to my first post, would these Lowland Livingstons also be descended from Mac Duinnshleibhe? More specifically Dunshleibe Ua Eochadha?
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Steven,

It is great that you have the documents provideing your family information. If you could give us your great grandmother Katherine's documented birth date and place of birth this might be helpful for us to better help the confusion in regards to James Livingsstone.
Any dates you have documentation for would be very helpful.
Steven Meyer wrote:There was one thing that I wonder about though, The James Livingstone you found was born in 1871 and was married to a Katherine, yet he was really married to Marion Stewart, I have photos and documents proving that he was married to Marion and not Katherine. My great grandmother was named Katherine but not her mother.

Jewel
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Well, there is some question as to what the connection of the lowland Livingstons to the highland MacLeas (before the name change) was... The 1743 document posits that indeed there is a connection, but we have no other evidence of it.

As Donald has stated, we have little evidence to suggest they are in the same Y-chromosomal DNA line (meaning they are descended directly, in the male line, from the same man). However, they could be related in a female line, by adoption, or in some other way. None of these can be tested with Y-DNA. Perhaps some day, autosomal DNA testing will prove useful for making guesses about that. We can only hope!

But if your family descends from a family with McLea connections, then I would presume that the Dunsleve in question is an ancestor or relative.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

As mentioned the 1910 Census verifies I think the info that you located in the 1900 and 1920 U.S Census that Katherine was the wife of Steven's great-great grandfather James Livingston b. 1871 and that Marion is the daughter. Cant be a mistake surely if the family info is essentially the same regarding Jame and Katharine in three census records you would think.

1910 U.S Census Lake Geneva Ward 1 Walworth, Wisconsin

James Livingston age 38 immigrated 1895
Katharine age 35
Marion age 13
Margaret age 12
Katharine age 7
Elizabeth age 5
James age 11 months
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Donald,

After going over the census information again I agree with you that this is Stevens family I found in the U.S. census which states that James and family immigrated from Scotland and lived in Massachusettes, Illinois and then Wisconsin. It matches with the information given by Steven in regards to the information quoted below. With the census also stateing that James Livingstone was a gardner.

Jewel
Steven Meyer wrote:
From what I've looked up so far there is an article in the Wisconsin Horticulture dated November, 1935 explaining that James Livingstone came to America in 1895, working on an estate in Massachusetts for five years. From there he came to Evanston, Illinois where he had charge of the estate of an orchid fancier. In 1907 he came to Lake Geneva where he managed the H.H. Porter gardens. In 1910 he came to Milwaukee to take charge of the private garden of Fred Vogel, Jr. In 1925 he accepted his present position that of superintendent of the Holton & Hunkel Nurseries at Brown Deer. he has been a member of the Wisconsin Horticultural Society ever since he came to Wisconsin, in 1907, and has been its president and vice-president. He was treasurer of the Milwaukee Florists' Club for fifteen years and secretary of the Lake Geneva Gardeners and Foremens Association for several years. He also served as president and vice-president of the Milwaukee St. Andrews Society.
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

No Katherine Livingstone was born in 1903, and James was married to Marion Stewart, Katherine was their daughter, I have spoken with many members of my family including Katherine's daughter my grandmother who all agree that the information you have found is incorrect.
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

I have discovered that you are indeed correct on James Livingstone, he was married to Katherine and also had a daughter named Katherine. As to my families connection to David Livingstone I am still certain there is one. In the scrapbook made by May Livingstone it states that David Livingstone is her father's (James Livingstone) grandfather's cousin, not my great-great-great uncle but something else. I really don't believe that my family would be mistaken on our connection with David Livingston, my grandmother believed it, my great grandmother believed it, my great-great grandfather James Livingstone believed it. I just don't see how we could be wrong about this, perhaps we are of lowland Livingstons but my family and I are certain that we are indeed related to David Livingstone
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Steven,

I appreciate what your saying and I would absolutely encourage you to continue in your research efforts regarding your family connection to Dr. Livingstone. We have utilized the old census and parish records and have successfully traced the locations of your Livingstone family in the U.S after 1895 and prior to that in Scotland and as a means to help identify a possible link to Dr. Livingstone's family. I myself did not see one, but you have obviously put alot of effort into discovering the truth r and I think it important that you take your time and resolve this mystery ultimately to your own satisfaction.

regards,

Donald Livingstone Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

I thank you for all the hard work you and your team put in! I am very proud of my ancestry even more so now that my family descends from the Lowland Livingstons, from what I've researched on them they seem to have aristocratic roots which is very interesting because I never knew that and shall look into it further. My whole reason to researching my family ancestry is because I plan to get a tattoo of the family crest that hangs on my wall and i wanted to be sure of it's origins, I hope to one day travel to Scotland to visit my families places of origin. Thank you for putting up with all my questions because I'm sure I have asked a lot! I will be sure to keep in touch and visit this site when I can. I do have three final questions to ask...

1) Is there a way to find out who James Livingstone's grandfather's cousins where? Perhaps there lies the answer, also on a curious note how far back can you trace my ancestry? Perhaps like a family tree so I can better understand this lowland Livingstone family.

2) I read something on this site that the possible origin of the Lowland Livingston name might have some connection to the O'Neills, this would be quite funny because a connection to the O'Neills was the first question I asked on this site.

3) Or a connection to the Kingdom of Ulaid - old Ulster? I was hoping these Lowland Livingstons might have a connection to old Irish or Scottish Royalty

Once again thank you for everything!

Regards,

Steven