Clan Maclea/Livingstone and O'Neill connection?

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Steven Meyer

Re: Clan Maclea/Livingstone and O'Neill connection?

Post by Steven Meyer »

He was born in Coultness Castle, not to the Baron of the castle but to the gardener.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Steven;

James Livingston b. October 5, 1871, Cambusnethan, Lanark

father James
Mother Margaret Hastie

Roberta Ann
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Steven,

According to Scotland records, They have a James Livingstone born Oct. 5,1871 son of James Livingstone and Margaret Hastie. James is stated as being born Cambusnethan,Lanark, Scotland.

I'm a little confused , the James Livingston I found in the census for, Mass.,Illinois, and Milwaukee states that James was a gardner and married to a Katherine. You mentioned that James was married to a Marion Stewart.
Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

James and Margaret sounds right to me for the James parents. Probably the reason I could not find him in the 1872 birth records is that he may have actually been born in October of 1871. There was no James Livingstone or Livingstone born in October of 1872 that I could see. Good thinking. After going through the census records of all the James Livingstons and James Livingstone born in 1872 and who were living in 1891 in Scotland but not 1901 interestingly enough you do indeed end up with a James Livingston born abt. 1872 in Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire and yes Steven he has a brother Hugh as you mentioned. The only one actually of several said to be born around 1872 in Scotland in the census records with a brother Hugh.
1881 Census Residence 139 Kirk Road Wishaw, Cambusnethan Parish,Lanarkshire
James Livingstone age 46 b. Aberdown, Fifeshire
Margaret b. Cambusnethan Parish age 46
Hugh age 2o born Cambusnethan Parish all children born Cambusnethan Parish,Lanarkshire
Janet age 14
William age 11
James age 9
Robert age 6
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

Would that make Dr. David Livingstone my great-great-great uncle? Or something else
Canadian Livingstone

\Hi Steven,

No connection known between the Fifeshire Livingstons and Dr. Livingstones family. Your James Livingstones father James Llivingston born abt. 1834 or 1835 in Aberfour was worked at a Aberfour, FIfeshire Mill as a young man according to the 1851 Scottish Census. I think I also see him in Fifeshire where he should in the 1841 Census. Will check after supper. We will try and figure out who his parents were. I dont think that out ot this information we will find conclusive evidence of a connection to Dr. Livingstone unfortunately but we will establish who some of your great-great grandfathers ancestors were and where they lived as far back as the available Scottish records tell us. Thats probably the extent of it. The information is actually moving us away from Lanarkshire where Dr. Livingstone people lived in the 1800's and to Fifeshire.

regards,

Donald
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

James last name would be spelt Livingstone with the e.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Steven,
Preferred family spelling is Livingstone to be sure but sometimes spelt by a clerk as Livingston in the records.
As I said no strong leads in determining a Dr. Livingstone connection sorry to say. Certainly not with the Dr. Livingstone's brother's John Livingstone and Rev. Charles Livingstone. What we do have is your Livingstone ancestral line developing and we can see where that takes us in Scotland and that is probably the extent of it.

Tenative Ancestral line
1.James Livingstone born October 1871 in Cambusnethan Parish,Lanarkshire

2.James Livingston or Livingstone born abt. 1834 or 1835 in Aberdour,Fifeshire,Scotland m. Margaret Haistie July 10,1857
in Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire Margarets parents: William Haistie Ploughman and Catharine Patterson

3. Hugh Livingstone b.October 16,1804 and Cecilia Henderson abt. 1811
marriage record of James Livingstone and Margaret Hastie verifies Hugh and Cecilia as his parents of James
Hugh Livingstone and Cecilia Henderson married November 25,1825 in Aberdour Parish, Fife, Scotland

4. John Livingston born abt. 1766 ? and Agnes Black of Aberdour Parish. In the 1841 Scottish Census John Livingston a widower is residing in Westervillage South Side, Aberdour Parish with his son James b. 1810. John's son Hugh and his wife Cecilia living in Westervillage North Side at this time.

1841 Scottish Census (as far back as we can go with the Scottish census records for your ancestors)
Aberfour parish, Fifeshire, Scotland Westervillage North side
Hugh Livingstone age 35 b. abt. 1806 (parish record indicates 1804)
Cecilia Livingstone age 30 (Cecilia Henderson)
Elizabeth age 15
Agnes age 9
James age 7
Robert age 5
Cecilia age 4
David age 3
Jane age 1

According to the Aberdour parish records a Hugh Livingston son of John Livingston and Agnes Black was born October 16 1804. This in fact could be your ancestors actual birth date rather than born abt. 1806. The census information is often incorrect as to the exact age of those censused and off by a few years. I am reasonably certain that Hugh is a part of this this old Aberdour Parish, Fifeshire Livingstone group.

I believe that by John Livingston Sr. born abt. 1766 a linen weaver residing at Westervillage south side Aberdour Parish, Fife Scotlandin the 1841 Census is infact John Livingston husband and widower of Agnes Black. Also at his residence in 1841 is a James Livingston age 50 who is a son of JOhn and likely a brother of Hugh Livingstons. Also a Janet age 40
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Steven,
I am now quite certain that it is unlikely you are related to Dr. Livingstone. What is interesting though is that your Livingstone great-grandmother appears to be descended from an old Livingstone family that dates back in Aberdour Parish, Fifeshire in Lowland Scotland from at least the mid 1600's. I havent sorted out your family back to the 1600's but it seems certain these old Aberdour parish Livingstones are an old family group connected to this area at least as far back as the 1600's. I am trying to see if i can find Hugh Livingston's birth record the great grandfather of your ancestor that went to America in 1894. Where they lived before the 1600's that I cant say for certain only that it appears quite clear that your Livingstones resided in Aberdour Parish for quite some time before James Livingston born abt. 1834 in Aberdour Parish, FIfeshire to Hugh Livingstone and wife Cecilia, moved on to Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire where he and wife Margaret Hastie had a son James born in 1871. So there is no evidence that James or his son James born in 1871 that later went to the States in 1894 had any family connection to Dr. Livingstone's family who originated in Highland Western Argyllshire, Kilnian Parish, Mull and the Isle of Ulva and later in 1792 settled in Blantyre,Lanarkshire.

Almost all of us here have gone through the research and found out to our disappointment that we arent related to Dr. Livingstone. Many Livingstones have old stories in the family that they are related to Dr. Livingstone and we make it a priority and try and check them all out if we can.

regards

Donald
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

Thank you for your research! I will also continue researching on David Livingstone, my aunt is a genealogist so hopefully I'll discover some things from her. I too also hold a copy of George Seaver's book on David Livingstone.