Hugh Livingston b 1821 Lawrence Co, PA,USA parents from Scot

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Audrie

Hugh Livingston b 1821 Lawrence Co, PA,USA parents from Scot

Post by Audrie »

This is all I know of Hugh Livingston. I know nothing of his life in PA or of his parents. I am Audrie Anne Livingston Bethke, gggrand-daughter of Hugh Livingston. feel free to e me at oddrie at cox.net [replace the 'spaceatspace' with '@' ]if ou have any clues, theories or just for fun. Happy Trails I would be ever so grateful for any help. I have been looking for his family since 1982.

In History of Cass County published 1884 p 629
Hugh Livingston deceased) was born in Lawrence co, PA Oct 21 1821. he was reared to the occupation of farming, which he always followed. He was united in marriage, Feb 21 1843 with Mary ann Todd in the town of Mercer, Mercer Co PA. She is a daughter of John and Gettis (Elder) Todd, who settled in Lawrence county, when she was about twelve years of age. They died in that county. Mr and Mrs Livingston resided in PA till the fall of 1865, when they removed to Clinton Co (IA)?. They there engaged in farming, remaining in that county five years. In September, 1870, they became residents of Cass co, locating upon a farm of four hundred and twenty acres. lying in sections 3 and 4 of Cass township, and 33 and 34 of Washington township. They resided till 1882 upon section 3, Cass township then having sold their land in Cass, they moved to section 33 of Washington township, where he died December 1, 1883, much regretted by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr and Mrs Livingston have had eight children, six of whom are living - Elizabeth, wife of Richard Swearingen of Pottawattamie county; Hannah, widow of Samuel Hanke, living in Hall county, Nebraska; John C., a resident of Cass township; George in Buffalo county, Nebraska; Sarah M., wife of Charles Rossell of Pottawattamie county, and Clarence E., who resides with his mother at the homestead. Ella Mary died November 15 1883, aged twenty one years; Minerva J, wife of W P Cubage, died in Jackson county April 8 1866, aged twenty two years. Clarence E Livingston was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania March 26 1865, and was eight months old when his parents left the State. he now carries on the farm.

added later by me: Clarence Elmer (the baby in the wagon) died in 1955. Guy Melville Livingston in 1983 and my dad Melville Paul Livingston in 1984
JanetS

Re: Hugh Livingston b 1821 Lawrence Co, PA,USA parents from

Post by JanetS »

Audrie,
It may be that your Hugh Livingston was a son of Hugh Levingston who shows up in the 1820 census for Neshanock, Mercer Co, Pennsylvania, or maybe a son of William Levingston who is a few miles north in Lackawonnock, Mercer Co. Both are ages 26-45 in the census and have large families. Neshannock Township became part of Lawrence County in 1849 when it was created. Your Hugh Livingston and Mary Ann Todd are married in Mercer County in 1843, but most likely lived in the area that became Lawrence County, because they're in Wilmington, Lawrence Co in the 1850 census.

In this part of western Pennsylvania there are both Scottish and German Livingstons/Levingstons. Both spellings are common. I am most familiar with several families of German Levingstons who originally were Loewensteins and/or Liebensteins and lived in nearby Fayette, Somerset, and Bedford counties in PA. They were immigrants between 1727 to 1755 and lived in Lancaster county, then moved west.

Using YDNA we have been able to separate them easily as all of those were German ancestors have two unique markers that are found in the 13-25 marker tests. If you have a brother, uncle or male Livingston cousin, you really should get one to do a YDNA test for at least 25 markers, although most of our testees did 37 markers. We have used the FTDNA test and our results are in the chart that is on this forum.

Janet Seegmiller
Liebenstein/Livingston co-administrator
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Welcome, Audrie!

We may be able to help you more with some searching in records, but please do also consider joining the DNA project if there is a male Livingston relative you could test. We could immediately sort you into one of a dozen or so family groups we have among our 200+ men tested so far. Might really given you a vision for the origins of your family!

Feel free to email me at commissioner at clanlivingstone.com and I would be happy to discuss details if you are interested in hearing more. In the mean time, enjoy the Forum, and we'll see what other help we can find for you!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Audrie

Post by Audrie »

Hi. I will consider the DNA thing. I have 3 living brothers to ask.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Janet,

Just a note of appreciation for the fine work you and others have done in helping to better understand the origins of your Pennsylvania Livingstons. I have been involved in the last few years in a wide range of history and genealogy connected to Livingstones/Livingstons but am greatly impressed by the progress of your efforts to make sense of it all.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society