Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by jmlivingstone »

And some more research into the family of Angus & Margaret,

John

Attached is the result of initial research in the original Scottish records on John Livingstone, who you know married Agnes Edmiston on 27th October 1827 in Livingston parish in West Lothian (then known as the county of Livingston).
At the 1851 Census , we find John and Agnes living at Esknish on Islay, in the Kilmeny parish of Argyll. John is given as a 55-year handloom weaver , and Agnes is 54. There are two children present at this time, namely 16 year Gavine , who is apprenticed to his father, and 9-year Neil , who it is said has been confined to bed for several years. From the birthplaces of these children we can see that the family had spent time in West Lothian at Blackburn , by Livingston, then on the island of Colonsay, before moving to Islay.
John Livingstone, woollen and cotton weaver, died in Kilmeny parish , Islay , on 6th July 1858. Informant for his death was son James Livingstone. He gave his father’s age as 52 years, and his grandparents as Angus Livingstone, Chelsea Pensioner, and Margaret McPhail. John Livingstone was buried in the burial ground of Kilmeny .
John’s place of death on Kilmeny was Tirvagan, and this is the place where we located widow 64-year Agnes some three years later on the 1861 Census. Living with her was son John 28-year John Livingstone, wool and linen weaver (born on Colonsay), and a 6-year grandson Andrew Livingstone.
It appears that the age of John Livingstone given by his son James on his death certificate was more accurate than that offered by John himself on the 1851 Census. The Argyll Parish Register for Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon parish in the south of Mull, has an entry for the baptism of John Livingstone there on 7th February 1805, to parents Angus Livingston in Kilpatrick, and Margaret Hall.
A difference in female surnames (Hall – McPhail) is often found in Highland records, as a result of the mother’s maiden surname being used rather than the expected paternal surname.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Attached is the result of forward research on the siblings of John Livingstone born 1805.
We previously found that Cirsty Livingston was born on Iona , Argyll, in Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon parish , and baptized there on 29 October 1809 . Parents Angus Livingstone, and Margaret Hall, were then resident at Siaba in the parish.
The Parish register for Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon has an entry for the marriage of Cirsty Livingston and Peter McArthur on 18 December, 1827. They were both resident within the Parish - Cirsty at Creich, and Peter at Caildrean.
Christie and Peter had two children. Ann McArthur was baptised on 17 October, 1829 and John McArthur was baptized on 18 September, 1831 . Father Peter McArthur was the crofter at Creich by this time. On the 1829 record his first name is recorded as Patrick, the old name for Peter.
Mother Cirsty died at some time between 1831 to 1833 . The Iona Parish register then shows that Peter McArthur, crofter at Creich, married again, to a Flora McDonald on 12 March, 1833. Peter and his second wife Flora had three children , namely Dugald, Niel and Flory. Then the mother Flora McDonald died, about 1840.
At the 1841 Census , we find Peter McArthur , 30 year crofter at Cregachait , now twice widowed . With him are the two children from his first marriage to Cirsty, namely 12 year Ann, 10 year John, and three children from his marriage to Flora , namely 6-year Dugald, 4-year Niel, and 6-month infant Flory.
The year following this census, on 30 January 1842 , Peter McArthur, crofter at Creich (possible abbreviation for Cregachait) married for the third time –to Isabella MacLean. Their marriage was recorded in the Iona Parish register.
At the 1851 census, we see Peter and Isobel living at Creagachait, Iona, with nine children , from 20- year John, now working as an agricultural labourer , to 2-year James. The four youngest children from this marriage of Peter and Isobel are 9-year Donald, 6-year Mary, 4-year Eliza and 2-year James. Also present is a 13 year Christian McArthur, daughter of Flora who was not recorded on the 1841 census. Peter’s eldest child Ann McArthur (born 1829) is no longer living with the family.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

I enjoyed reading your research information on John Livingston. Interesting that you mentioned Creich when speaking of Cirsty Livingston and her husband. It is interesting when I looked some time ago at the locations given in the old parish records of the birth places of ANgus and his brother Donald Children they seemed to move from one croft community to another apparently frequently. At one point in the early 1800's I noticed they both were at Kirkpatrick at the time of some of their childrens baptism. Shiaba is also a location where some of Angus Livingstons children were baptised or born which as we have discussed in the past ties in nicely with our notion that Neil Livingston (and Christina Boyd) of Shiaba were the parents of Angus and Donald. I was going though some of our old posts from way back when and I thought this one kinda interesting regarding the locations of ANgus and Donald in the early 1800's at the time of their children baptisms/births. Also in the process I found that there was another Livingston Duncan Liivngston born in the late 1700's who was at the Creich you mentioned and later at Iona. I wondered at the time if he could have a been an unknown brother of your ANgus and Donald Livingston.
Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi John,

While we dont know precisely what became of Angus Livingston and his wife Margaret who were circa 1841 Census residing at Uragaig in Colonsay near Jura, but we do know that on neighbouring Ross of Mull by 1841, the 7th Duke of Argyll faced with a large number of tenants farming small plots with low rents and tenants often in arrears began contemplating removing such tenants and considered more effiencent use of his tenant holdings. By 1846 there was the potato famine which would greatly affected Ross of Mull and left the Duke's tenants who depended on the Potato in a famine situation. In 1847 the Marquis of Lorne became the 8th Duke of Argyll and he began encouraging his tenants to emigrate and began clearing them from Shiaba and other locations in Southern Ross of Mull. There are apparently lists circa 1847 of those Ross of Mull tenants who wished to settle in Canada a petition which apparently includes the names of 963 who were interested in emigrating. During the famine years from 1846 to 1856 large numbers from Ross of Mull chose to settle in Canada or Australia. ANgus Livingston's brother Donald's sons left Southern Ross of Mull in the early 1850's I think it was for Ontario, Canada. The 8th Duke of Argyll is known to
have evicted tenants from Shiaba in 1847.

The Ross of Mull Historical Centre has researched the evictions of the tenants from Southern Ross of Mull and are quite familiar with the history of Shiaba. THere are number of Walking tour books you can send away for through them one of which is walking guide for Asapol and nearby Shiaba ruins. I would like to know how we can a get a copy of these tenant lists of the Ross of Mull from 1847 or later with those wishing to emigrate or those who infact are emigrating. There may be similiar lists which includes tenants that resided on nearby Colonsay for this time period. Anyways might be worthwhile contacting this the Ross of Mull HIstorical Centre who are probably familiar with what tenant lists of the 8th Duke of Argyll and his factor survived for the 1840's and 1850's.

Based upon the Kilfinichen Parish records for Ross of Mull we have some idea where ANgus and his brother Donald resided in the early 1800's and when. Angus was apparently residing at Kilpatrick from around 1805 to 1807 and subsequently by 1809 he was back at Shiaba where he and his father had resided in 1779 according the Arygll information. His last child was born in 1829 also at Shiaba. HIs brother Donald was at nearby Asapol from 1805 and then by 1807 he is at Kilpatrick til about 1812 where his brother ANgus had been for a time. Then for some reason Donald and family return to Asapol during the 1814 and 1824 period. While brother Angus left Shiaba, Ross of Mull sometime after 1829 and before 1841 for nearby island of Colonsay, his brother Donald and his wife Christie Campbell remained in Southern Ross of Mull despite the many evictions taking place, apparently impoverished and later recorded as paupers at Ardtun where Donald recorded as a pauper died at the age of 84 on Sept. 27 1866. Despite all the hardship Donald and his wife Christie Campbell must of have endured during those famine years and later years as elderly paupers, the landlord seems to have failed to get them out of Ross of Mull and it is there where they died.

Interestingly at the same time as Angus and Donald there was a third Livingston named Duncan Livingston born abt. 1786 and his wife Margaret McCormick who resided at Creich in the early 1800`s After their marriage from about 1812 to 1816 they appear from the parish records to be located at Ardchivaig and then from 1819 to 1825 back at Creich. Following that the records indicate the family moved to Kintra on Ross of Mull which is in close proximity to the isle of Iona apparently. i thought that Kintra was in Iona based on the the famiies later census records but I think Kintra is actually nearby on the Ross of Mull. I dont know whether or not this Duncan is related to ANgus and Donald but I was wondering if he was sibling born after 1779.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Ref. Duncan Livingstone, Dawn Livingstone has him as the grandson of Neil Livingstone & Christian Boyd, & son of Donald Livingstone & Cirsty Campbell, the only difference being, she has him as married to an Ann McPhail, on 14 March 1848 at Iona.

Cirsty Campbells parents are listed as Neil Campbell & Catherine McKinnon.

Duncan died 1870 Grey County, Ontario.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Dawn sent me some of her notes a while back and some of that is already on the internet somewhere I think. I passed on the info on Angus to her. She agreed that Neil Livingston of Shiaba, Ross of Mull is likely the father of both Angus an Donald as I recall. I think Donald's family info we may have included in earlier postings in the past here. It has been a while since I looked at it so I am bit rusty on it all.

Donald's son Duncan Livingston I think was actually born about 1817 and was one of sons that ended in Ontario Canada in the 1840's or 1850's. As earlier located in our earlier research Duncan's wife Ann McPhail's gravestone and that of Duncan's brother John Livingston 1814-1883 is located at or near Priceville village, Artemesia Township, Grey County, Ontario. This Duncan Livingston a carpenter which I was refering to was born abt. 1786 according to the 1841 census and by that time residing at Kentra in Iona Parish and resided there with his wife Margaret.The earlier baptismal records of their children indicate that in the earlier part of the 1800's they were originally located in southern Mull and at one time at Creich. I was hoping at the time I first located the early baptismal records of Duncan Livingston and his wife Margaret that i could located Duncan in the census records after 1851 and find him in a detailed death record after 1855 which would likely have revealed the names of his parents however that did not happen because the 1851 Census reveals that Donald's wife Margaret Livingston was a widow at Kentra, Iona by 1851. So I guess I cant prove a family connection to Donald and Angus. It is however quite likely that Neil had a son born after the 1779 census which Duncan born abt. 1786 apparently in Ross of Mull could have been. It could be that Donald named one of his son's Duncan after a brother Duncan who lived at Criech in the early 1800's.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

The info below is the most up to date I have on my side of the Livingstone family, the info is, to the best of my knowledge accurate, but, there are duplications etc. which I will sort out asap.

So, to anyone using the below info, it is still a work in progress, and will probably change over the next few months,

John

Descendants of Alexander Steele ?
Generation 1 1.

ALEXANDER STEELE1 ? was born in 1663 in Eaglesham, Renfrewshire, Scotland. He married MARGARET AKIN/ AIKEN. She was born on 05 Apr 1663 in Eaglesham, Renfrewshire, Scotland. Alexander Steele ? and Margaret Akin/ Aiken had the following children: .
i. DANIEL STEELE was born on 05 Apr 1696 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland. He married MARGARET SAMUEL. She was born on 11 Jun 1699 in Kirkliston, West Lothian, Scotland.
ii. ALEXANDER STEELE was born on 08 May 1692 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
iii. MARGARET STEELE was born on 01 Oct 1693 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
iv. JOHN STEELE was born on 26 Jan 1690 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Generation 2 2.

DANIEL STEELE (Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 05 Apr 1696 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland. He married MARGARET SAMUEL. She was born on 11 Jun 1699 in Kirkliston, West Lothian, Scotland. Daniel Steele and Margaret Samuel had the following children: 3.
i. MARION STEEL was born on 02 Mar 1737 in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland. She married JOHN EDMISTON. He was born in 1740 in Bathgate, Midlothian, Scotland.
ii. JOHN STEEL was born on 23 Dec 1733 in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland.
iii. DANIEL STEEL was born on 29 May 1731 in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland.
iv. JANET STEEL was born on 15 Jun 1740 in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland.
v. ELSPETH STEELE was born on 02 Aug 1725 in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland.
vi. JAMES STEEL was born on 01 Feb 1727 in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland.
Generation 3 3.

MARION STEEL (Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 02 Mar 1737 in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland. She married JOHN EDMISTON. He was born in 1740 in Bathgate, Midlothian, Scotland. John Edmiston and Marion Steel had the following child: 4.
i. JOHN EDMISTON was born on 06 Apr 1769 in Bathgate, Midlothian, Scotland. He married CATHERINE MITCHELL.

Generation 4 4.

JOHN EDMISTON (Marion Steel, Daniel Steele, Alexander Steele ?) was born on 06 Apr 1769 in Bathgate, Midlothian, Scotland. He married CATHERINE MITCHELL. John Edmiston and Catherine Mitchell had the following child: .
i. AGNES5 EDMISTON was born on 28 Dec 1797 in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland (OPR Birth 662/00 0020 0096). She died on 22 Nov 1868 in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland, United Kingdom (Stat. Death 490/00 0343. Died at 33, Queen St., Stirling, home of her son Andrew Mitchell Livingstone.). She married John Livingstone, son of Angus Livingstone and Margaret Hall on 27 Oct 1827 in
v. NEIL LIVINGSTONE was born on 10 Jun 1842 in Uragaig, Isle of Colonsay,
Generation 4 (con't)
John Livingstone, son of Angus Livingstone and Margaret Hall on 27 Oct 1827 in Livingstone, West Lothian, Scotland. He was born on 07 Feb 1805 in Kilpatrick?, Isle of Mull. He died on 06 Jul 1858 in Tirvagan, Argyll, Scotland (Islay. Woollen & Cotton Weaver. at 3am. Cause of death "Disease of the Brain". Buried Kilmeny. Informant James Livingston, son.).
Generation 5 5.

AGNES5 EDMISTON (John, Marion Steel, Daniel Steele, Alexander Steele ?) was born on 28 Dec 1797 in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland (OPR Birth 662/00 0020 0096). She died on 22 Nov 1868 in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland, United Kingdom (Stat. Death 490/00 0343. Died at 33, Queen St., Stirling, home of her son Andrew Mitchell Livingstone.). She married John Livingstone, son of Angus Livingstone and Margaret Hall on 27 Oct 1827 in Livingstone, West Lothian, Scotland. He was born on 07 Feb 1805 in Kilpatrick?, Isle of Mull. He died on 06 Jul 1858 in Tirvagan, Argyll, Scotland (Islay. Woollen & Cotton Weaver. at 3am. Cause of death "Disease of the Brain". Buried Kilmeny. Informant James Livingston, son.).
Notes for Agnes Edmiston: Death, 33, Queen St., Stirling, home of her son Andrew Mitchell Livingstone
John Livingstone and Agnes Edmiston had the following children: .
i. ANDREW MITCHELL6 LIVINGSTONE was born on 30 Nov 1828 in Blackburn, Parish of Livingstone, West Lothian, Scotland (OPR Birth 669/00 0030 0035.). He married
(1) MARGARET YOUNG, daughter of John Young and Mary Russell in Feb 1860 in 14, Abbey Rd., Stirling. (Stat. Marriage 490/00 0008). She was born about 1824 in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. She died on 02 Aug 1877 in 11 Bow St, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. He married
(2) ISABELLA SMITH, daughter of John Smith and Janet Young on 10 Sep 1878 in County Buildings, Greenock, Renfrewshire (Stat. Marriage 564/03 0222. Married by warrant of Sheriff Substitute of Renfrew & Bute.). She was born about 1849 in Coatbridge, Old Monklands. She died in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
ii. JAMES ANGUS LIVINGSTONE was born on 05 May 1830 in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland. He died on 01 Sep 1921 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Argyll, Scotland. He married FLORA MCDOUGALL. She was born on 04 Aug 1817 in Kilmeny, Argyll, Scotland. She died on 15 May 1906 in Freeport, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay.
iii. JOHN LIVINGSTONE was born on 24 Jul 1832 in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland. He died on 27 Apr 1915 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom (Stat. Death 543/00 0002 Retired distillery fireman). He married Mary McKellar, daughter of Neil McKellar and Barbara Clark or McDonald on 27 Jan 1871 in Kilchoman, Scotland, United Kingdom. She was born about 1844. She died on 11 Apr 1931 in Caol Ila, Isle of Islay, Scotland (Stat.Death 543/00 0004).
iv. GAVIN LIVINGSTONE was born on 30 Dec.1834 ? in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland (OPR Birth 669/0030 0057). He died on 03 Mar 1905 in Northfield Villa, Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland (Stat. Death 510/01 0028. Cause of death, influenza & congestion of the lungs. Death cert. signed by his son, Neil Livingstone, 13 Union St., Edinburgh.). He married Catherine McLean, daughter of Neil McLean and Margaret Stewart on 30 Dec 1857 in Southend, Campbeltown, Scotland, United Kingdom (Stat. Marriage 507/00 0046). She was born on 09 Oct 1837 in Campbeltown, Scotland, United Kingdom. She died on 23 Jan 1907 in Myrtle Grove, Auchamore Rd., Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland.
vi. MARY LIVINGSTONE was born about 1865. She died on 22 Nov 1871 in Torabuss,
Generation 5 (con't)
v. NEIL LIVINGSTONE was born on 10 Jun 1842 in Uragaig, Isle of Colonsay, SCOTLAND.
Generation 6 6.
ANDREW MITCHELL LIVINGSTONE (Agnes Edmiston, John Edmiston, Marion Steel, Daniel Steele, Alexander Steele ?) was born on 30 Nov 1828 in Blackburn, Parish of Livingstone, West Lothian, Scotland (OPR Birth 669/00 0030 0035.). He married (1) MARGARET YOUNG, daughter of John Young and Mary Russell in Feb 1860 in 14, Abbey Rd., Stirling. (Stat. Marriage 490/00 0008). She was born about 1824 in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. She died on 02 Aug 1877 in 11 Bow St, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. He married (2) ISABELLA SMITH, daughter of John Smith and Janet Young on 10 Sep 1878 in County Buildings, Greenock, Renfrewshire (Stat. Marriage 564/03 0222. Married by warrant of Sheriff Substitute of Renfrew & Bute.). She was born about 1849 in Coatbridge, Old Monkleinss. She died in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. Notes for Andrew Mitchell Livingstone: Occ. Wine merchant Res. 11,Bow St., Stirling
Andrew Mitchell Livingstone and Margaret Young had the following children: i. JOHN7 LIVINGSTONE was born in Nov 1862 in 99, St. Mary Wynd, Stirling (Stat. Birth 490/00 0510).
ii. MARY LIVINGSTONE was born on 11 May 1864 in 99, St. Mary Wynd, Stirling (Stat. Birth 490/00 0221).
Andrew Mitchell Livingstone and Isabella Smith had the following child: iii. ANDREW MITCHELL LIVINGSTONE was born on 22 Nov 1881 in Corn Exchange Hotel, Stirling (Stat. Birth 490/00 0435).
7. JAMES ANGUS LIVINGSTONE (Agnes Edmiston, John Edmiston, Marion Steel, Daniel Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 05 May 1830 in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland. He died on 01 Sep 1921 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Argyll, Scotland. He married FLORA MCDOUGALL. She was born on 04 Aug 1817 in Kilmeny, Argyll, Scotland. She died on 15 May 1906 in Freeport, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay. James Angus Livingstone and Flora McDougall had the following children: 10. i. ANDREW7 LIVINGSTONE was born on 18 Jan 1855 in Kilmeny, Islay. He married Maggie McQueen, daughter of Donald McQueen and Janet McIntyre on 01 May 1883 in Scanlistle, Isle of Islay (Married in Established Church of Scotland). She was born on 1858-59 in Isle of Islay, Argyll, Scotland.
ii. ANN LIVINGSTONE was born about 1857. She died on 31 Jul 1922 in Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom (Sudden death.). She married ANGUS BUIE. He died on 09 Apr 1934 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Argyll, Scotland.
iii. AGNES LIVINGSTONE was born about 1860 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire.
iv. LACHLAN LIVINGSTONE was born on 18 Sep 1861 in Keill,Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire. He died on 01 Nov 1863 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire.
v. HUGH LIVINGSTONE was born about 1864 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire.
Generation 6 (con't)
vi. MARY LIVINGSTONE was born about 1865. She died on 22 Nov 1871 in Torabuss, KIlmeny, Isle of Islay.
vii. JAMES LIVINGSTONE was born on 26 Oct 1866 in Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire. He died on 22 Nov 1871 in Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire.
viii. DUNCAN LIVINGSTONE was born about Dec 1868 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire. He died on 07 Mar 1869 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire.
ix. ISABELLA LIVINGSTONE was born about 1872. She died on 15 Apr 1957 in Schoolhouse Cottage,Ballygrant, Isle of Islay. She married ALEXANDER MCLELLAN.
x. JAMES LIVINGSTONE was born about 1874. He died in 1921. He married CATHERINE BELL. She was born on abt 1877-78. She died on 31 May 1941 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom.
. JOHN LIVINGSTONE (Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 24 Jul 1832 in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland. He died on 27 Apr 1915 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom (Stat. Death 543/00 0002 Retired distillery fireman). He married Mary McKellar, daughter of Neil McKellar and Barbara Clark or McDonald on 27 Jan 1871 in Kilchoman, Scotland, United Kingdom. She was born about 1844. She died on 11 Apr 1931 in Caol Ila, Isle of Islay, Scotland (Stat.Death 543/00 0004). John Livingstone and Mary McKellar had the following children: 13. i. JOHN7 LIVINGSTONE was born on 23 Oct 1871 in Torabuss, Kilmeny, Argyllshire, (Stat. Birth 543/00 0014). He died on 16 Dec 1928 in 9, Antigua St., Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married (2) MARGARET MCGILVRAY, daughter of Donald McGilvray and Margaret Mitchell on 06 Mar 1896 in Port Askaig, Isle of Islay. She was born on 04 Jun 1868 in Kilmeny G, Argyleshire. She died on 05 Dec 1944 in 9, Antigua St.,Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom.
ii. CATHERINE LIVINGSTONE was born on 11 Apr 1873 in Torabuss, KIlmeny, Isle of Islay (Stat. Birth 543/00 0010). She married Malcolm McEachern, son of Donald McEachern and Flora Robertson on 16 Mar 1901 in Tranent,Haddington.
Notes for Catherine Livingstone: Occ. Domestic servant
iii. ANN LIVINGSTONE was born on 17 0ct. 1874 in Torabuss, KIlmeny, Isle of Islay (Stat. Birth 543/00 0022). She died on 26 Feb 1953 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Dugald McIndeor, son of Dugald McIndeor and Ann Taylor on 29 Nov 1904 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Argyll, Scotland.
iv. KATE LIVINGSTON was born on 11 Apr 1876 in Kilmeny, Argyleshire.
v. MARY LIVINGSTON was born on 26 Nov 1876 in Largin, Kilmeny, Argyleshire.
vi. AGNES LIVINGSTONE was born on 26 Nov 1876 in Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Dugald McIndeor, son of Dugald McIndeor and Ann Taylor in 1904 in Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom.
vii. NEIL LIVINGSTONE was born on 16 Mar 1879 in Torabuss,Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. He died on 05 Dec 1887 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom??.
Generation 6 (con't)
GAVIN LIVINGSTONE (Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 30 Dec.1834 ? in Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland (OPR Birth 669/0030 0057). He died on 03 Mar 1905 in Northfield Villa, Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland (Stat. Death 510/01 0028. Cause of death, influenza & congestion of the lungs. Death cert. signed by his son, Neil Livingstone, 13 Union St., Edinburgh.). He married Catherine McLean, daughter of Neil McLean and Margaret Stewart on 30 Dec 1857 in Southend, Campbeltown, Scotland, United Kingdom (Stat. Marriage 507/00 0046). She was born on 09 Oct 1837 in Campbeltown, Scotland, United Kingdom. She died on 23 Jan 1907 in Myrtle Grove, Auchamore Rd., Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland.
Notes for Gavin Livingstone: Occ. Farm servant Resident, Foachay, Southend, Campbeltown, Aegyllshire
Notes for Catherine McLean: Occ. Farm servant
Gavin Livingstone and Catherine McLean had the following children: 16. i. MARGARET7 LIVINGSTONE was born about 1858 in Peniver, Campbeltown. She died in 1937 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. She married (1) WILLIAM JOHNSTON on abt.1878-79 in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. He was born about 1856 in Stirling, Scotland ??. He died about 1920 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ??. She married WILLIAM MCKENDRICK.
ii. AGNES LIVINGSTONE was born in Oct 1860 in Campbeltown, Argyll. She died on 31 May 1863 in Peninver, nr Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland (Stat. Death 507/00 0077).
iii. NEIL MCLEAN LIVINGSTONE was born on 26 May 1864 in 102 Broomielaw, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. He died on 21 Nov 1906 in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (Stat. Death 685/00 0311). He married Elizabeth Cooper, daughter of James Cooper and Elizabeth Bell on 06 Sep 1886 in Baptist church,Glasgow. She was born in 1865. She died on 02 Dec 1928 in 15,Craw Rd., Paisley (Paisley Poorhouse ??Usual res. 9 West Campbell St,Paisley).
iv. ANDREW MITCHELL LIVINGSTONE was born on 17 Jul 1866 in Glasgow (Stat. Birth 490/00 0311). He died on 11 Dec 1903 in 18, New Street, Glasgow (Andrew died of a fractured skull.). He married Jeannie Ritchie Hendry, daughter of William Hendry and Jeannie Ritchie on 22 Dec 1894 in Camlachie, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
v. FLORA LIVINGSTONE was born about 1869 in Stirling, Stirlingshire.
vi. CATHERINE LIVINGSTONE was born on 06 May 1870 in 33 Queen St, Stirling..
vii. MARY STEWART LIVINGSTONE was born on 04 May 1872 in Wolf College, Bridge St, Stirling..
Generation 7
ANDREW LIVINGSTONE (James Angus6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 18 Jan 1855 in Kilmeny, Islay. He married Maggie McQueen, daughter of Donald McQueen and Janet McIntyre on 01 May 1883 in Scanlistle, Isle of Islay (Married in Established Church of Scotland). She was born on 1858-59 in Isle of Islay, Argyll, Scotland. Andrew Livingstone and Maggie McQueen had the following children: 19. i. AGNES8 LIVINGSTONE was born on 13 Oct 1886 in Caol Ila, Isle of Islay, Scotland.
iv. CATHERINE LIVINGSTONE was born on 10 Feb 1899 in Greenock, Scotland, United
Generation 7 (con't)

ii. PETER LIVINGSTONE was born on 03 Mar 1889 in Freeport, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay. He married Elizabeth McKinlay, daughter of John McKinlay and Isabella McLeod on 14 Dec 1917 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
iii. HUGH LIVINGSTONE was born on 13 Feb 1896 in 54, Grace St., Glasgow.
iv. ANN LIVINGSTONE was born on 25 Jul 1900 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom.
ISABELLA LIVINGSTONE (James Angus6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born about 1872. She died on 15 Apr 1957 in Schoolhouse Cottage,Ballygrant, Isle of Islay. She married ALEXANDER MCLELLAN. Alexander McLellan and Isabella Livingstone had the following child: i. FLORA8 MCLELLAN.
12. JAMES7 LIVINGSTONE (James Angus6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born about 1874. He died in 1921. He married CATHERINE BELL. She was born on abt 1877-78. She died on 31 May 1941 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. James Livingstone and Catherine Bell had the following children: i. ANN8 LIVINGSTONE was born on 25 Jul 1900 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married WM. COWAN.
ii. FLORA LIVINGSTONE was born on 01 Feb 1902 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Alexander Crombie, son of Alexander Crombie and Mary Moore on 12 Oct 1933 in St.Columbas Church of Scotland,Glasgow.
iii. JAMES LIVINGSTONE was born on 12 Jan 1904 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married Mary Fletcher Kennedy, daughter of Alexander Kennedy and Sarah Cooper Smith on 24 Jan 1935 in Kilchoman, Islay, Argyleshire.
JOHN LIVINGSTONE (John6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 23 Oct 1871 in Torabuss, Kilmeny, Argyllshire, (Stat. Birth 543/00 0014). He died on 16 Dec 1928 in 9, Antigua St., Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married (2) MARGARET MCGILVRAY, daughter of Donald McGilvray and Margaret Mitchell on 06 Mar 1896 in Port Askaig, Isle of Islay. She was born on 04 Jun 1868 in Kilmeny G, Argyleshire. She died on 05 Dec 1944 in 9, Antigua St.,Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. John Livingstone had the following child: i. MAGGIE LIVINGSTON was born about 1897 in Greenock, Renfrewshire.
John Livingstone and Margaret McGilvray had the following children: ii. MARGARET (MAGGIE) LIVINGSTONE was born on 02 Mar 1886 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She died in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom.
iii. BARBARA LIVINGSTONE was born on 21 Nov 1897 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married CHARLES MCLEAN. He was born on 28 Jan 1899 in Acharonich,Ulva, Argyll Scotland. He died on 10 Apr 1965 in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Generation 7 (con't).
iv. CATHERINE LIVINGSTONE was born on 10 Feb 1899 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Archibald McGilp, son of Robert McGilp and Jane Syme on 10 Nov 1925 in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
v. JOHN LIVINGSTONE was born about 1901 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He died on 16 Jun 1945 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married ELLEN MCLAUGHLIN.
21. vi. DONALD LIVINGSTONE was born on 21 Nov 1902 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He died in 1974 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married Charlotte Hawkes Martin, daughter of Robert Martin and Elizabeth Jane Baker Devenish in 1945 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She was born on 04 Oct 1910 in Crawford St., Greenock, Renfrewshre. She died in 2001 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom.
vii. NEIL LIVINGSTONE was born in 1904 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He died on 27 Dec 1963 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England.
viii. DUNCAN LIVINGSTONE was born in 1907 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He died on 10 Jul 1908 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom.
ix. MARY LIVINGSTONE was born in 1910 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She died in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Joseph Smith, son of Joseph Smith and Agnes Brisbane on 10 Jun 1932 in Margaret St, Greenock (Church of Scotland).
ANN LIVINGSTONE (John6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 17 0ct. 1874 in Torabuss, KIlmeny, Isle of Islay (Stat. Birth 543/00 0022). She died on 26 Feb 1953 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Dugald McIndeor, son of Dugald McIndeor and Ann Taylor on 29 Nov 1904 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Argyll, Scotland. Dugald McIndeor and Ann Livingstone had the following children: i. ANN TAYLOR8 MCINDEOR was born on 20 Jul 1905 in Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire. She married DUNCAN SHAW BELL.
ii. MARY MCKELLER MCINDEOR was born on 08 Jul 1907 in Caol Illa,Kilmeny, Islay.
iii. CATHERINE LIVINGSTONE MCINDEOR.
iv. JOHN LIVINGSTONE MCINDEOR was born on 29 Nov 1902 in Caol Ila, Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom.
AGNES LIVINGSTONE (John6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 26 Nov 1876 in Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Dugald McIndeor, son of Dugald McIndeor and Ann Taylor in 1904 in Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Notes for Dugald McIndeor: Married at Kilmeny Church of Scotland, Rev. Archibald Anderson, witnessed John McArthur & Jessie McDougall
Dugald McIndeor and Agnes Livingstone had the following children: i. JOHN LIVINGSTONE8 MCINDEOR was born on 29 Nov 1902 in Caol Ila, Isle of Islay, Scotland.
xii. BEATRICE JOHNSTON was born in 1899 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. She died about
Generation 7 (con't)
ii. ANN TAYLOR MCINDEOR was born on 20 Jul 1905 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire. She married Duncan Shaw Bell in Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire. He was born in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire.
iii. MARY MCKELLER MCINDEOR was born on 11 Jul 1907 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire. She died in 1963 in Glasgow, Scotland.
iv. CATHERINE LIVINGSTONE MCINDEOR was born on 15 Jan 1909 in Kilmeny, Islay.
v. DUGALD MCINDEOR was born on 15 Oct 1911 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire. He died in 1981 in Isle of Islay, Scotland, United Kingdom.
vi. JAMES LIVINGSTONE MCINDEOR was born in 1919 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire. He died in 1962 in Kilmeny, Islay, Argyllshire.
16. MARGARET7 LIVINGSTONE (Gavin6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born about 1858 in Peniver, Campbeltown. She died in 1937 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. She married (1) WILLIAM JOHNSTON on abt.1878-79 in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. He was born about 1856 in Stirling, Scotland ??. He died about 1920 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ??. She married WILLIAM MCKENDRICK. William Johnston and Margaret Livingstone had the following children: i. ALBERT8 JOHNSTON was born in 1895 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland.
ii. GAVIN LIVINGSTONE JOHNSTON was born in 1880 in Stirling, Scotland ??.
iii. LIVINGSTONE JOHNSTON was born about 1893. He died on WW1.
iv. NEIL JOHNSTON was born in 1897 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland.
v. LILIAS JOHNSTON was born in 1889 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. She died about 1961. She married William McKendrick on 26 Jul 1912 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
vi. MARY ANN JOBSON JOHNSTON was born in 1881 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland.
vii. FLORENCE JOHNSTON was born in 1886 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. She died on 03 Dec 1918 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland ??. She married William Gordon on 18 Dec 1916 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He was born about 1886. He died on 03 Dec 1903.
viii. MARGARET MCLEAN JOHNSTON was born in 1881 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland.
ix. WILLIAM JOHNSTON was born in 1884 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. He died about 1935 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ??. He married ELIZABETH BARON. She died about 1958 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
23. x. STUART JOHNSTON was born on 28 Jan 1891 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. He died on 27 Nov 1927 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He married Agnes Young on 18 Mar 1918 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
xi. CATHERINE MCLEAN JOHNSTON was born in 1879 in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. She married Malcolm Tomlin, son of Thomas Tomlin and Jane McPherson in 1908 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He died in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ??.
Generation 7 (con't)xii. BEATRICE JOHNSTON was born in 1899 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. She died about 1960 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. She married William Davidson on 17 Mar 1917.
17. NEIL MCLEAN7 LIVINGSTONE (Gavin6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 26 May 1864 in 102 Broomielaw, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. He died on 21 Nov 1906 in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (Stat. Death 685/00 0311). He married Elizabeth Cooper, daughter of James Cooper and Elizabeth Bell on 06 Sep 1886 in Baptist church,Glasgow. She was born in 1865. She died on 02 Dec 1928 in 15,Craw Rd., Paisley (Paisley Poorhouse ??Usual res. 9 West Campbell St,Paisley).
Notes for Neil McLean Livingstone:
Occ. Assurance collector, 1881 census Occ. 1886, railway porter Occ. 1891 census, assurance agent, res. 278,Mathieson St.,Govan,Glasgow, also res. wife Elizabeth & daughtesr Catherine, 4 months old.& Elizabeth 2 years. Occ. Pianoforte dealer Res. at death 20, Rodney St, Edinburgh.
Notes for Elizabeth Cooper: Address when married 157, Holm St., Glasgow Resided at Helen St., Govan, possibly around 06 Sept. 1886 Usual res. 20, Rodney St., Edinburgh.
Neil McLean Livingstone and Elizabeth Cooper had the following children: i. ELIZABETH BELL8 LIVINGSTONE was born in 1889 in Haddington, Parish of Cockenzie. She died in 1940 in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. She married John McGibbon, son of Alexander McGibbon and Elizabeth Cox in Mar 1911 in United Free Church, Paisley.
Notes for Elizabeth Bell Livingstone: Occ. Threadmill worker Res. 15, West Campbell St., Paisley
ii. CATHERINE LIVINGSTONE was born on 24 Dec 1890 in Hope Park, Haddington.. She died on 28 Aug 1903 in 6, Cambridge St.,Edinburgh (Usual res. 13, Union St.,Edinburgh).
iii. JAMES COOPER LIVINGSTONE was born on 21 Apr 1895 in Braid Place, Edinburgh. He died in 1961 in London. England. He married AGNES KATE COLLEY (POSSIBLE WIFE).
iv. NEIL MCLEAN LIVINGSTONE was born on 16 Sep 1899 in 1, Lochrin ?? Terrace,St. George, Edinburgh,Scotland. He married Lillian Morgan Simpson, daughter of William Simpson and Emily Ethel Morgan on 21 Feb 1919 in 142,High St,Elgin. She was born on 1897-98 in Portgordon (Possibly).
ANDREW MITCHELL LIVINGSTONE (Gavin6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 17 Jul 1866 in Glasgow (Stat. Birth 490/00 0311). He died on 11 Dec 1903 in 18, New Street, Glasgow (Andrew died of a fractured skull.). He married Jeannie Ritchie Hendry, daughter of William Hendry and Jeannie Ritchie on 22 Dec 1894 in Camlachie, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
) Generation 7 (con't
Notes for Andrew Mitchell Livingstone: Occ. Lodging house superintendent
Andrew Mitchell Livingstone and Jeannie Ritchie Hendry had the following children: i. NEIL8 LIVINGSTONE was born on Abt. 1864-65 in Camlachie, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
25. ii. ANDREW LIVINGSTONE was born in Hanscroft Cottage ??, Camlachie, Lanarkshire. He married Jeannie Ritchie Hendry on 22 Dec 1895 in Hanscroft Cottage, Camlachie, Lanarkshire.
iii. GAVIN LIVINGSTONE ??? was born on 13 Mar 1896 in 66, Moncur St., Glasgow.
Generation 8 19. AGNES8 LIVINGSTONE (Andrew7, James Angus6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 13 Oct 1886 in Caol Ila, Isle of Islay, Scotland. Agnes Livingstone had the following child: i. AGNES9 LIVINGSTONE was born on 13 Oct 1886.
20. CATHERINE8 LIVINGSTONE (John7, John6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 10 Feb 1899 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Archibald McGilp, son of Robert McGilp and Jane Syme on 10 Nov 1925 in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland. Archibald McGilp and Catherine Livingstone had the following children: i. ARCHIBALD9 MCGILP. He died in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland.
ii. LIVING MCGILP.
iii. LIVING MCGILP.
iv. JOHN MCGILP.
21. DONALD8 LIVINGSTONE (John7, John6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 21 Nov 1902 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He died in 1974 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married Charlotte Hawkes Martin, daughter of Robert Martin and Elizabeth Jane Baker Devenish in 1945 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She was born on 04 Oct 1910 in Crawford St., Greenock, Renfrewshre. She died in 2001 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. Donald Livingstone and Charlotte Hawkes Martin had the following children: 26. i. JOHN MARTIN9 LIVINGSTONE was born on 14 May 1946 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married Sandra (Sarah) McAlees Jamieson, daughter of Thomas Jamieson and Margaret (Peggy) McAlees on 11 Oct 1969 in St.Columba Gaelic Church of Scotland, Greenock. She was born on 05 Feb 1946 in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
ii. LIVING LIVINGSTONE was born on 12 Jul 1948 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom.
22. MARY8 LIVINGSTONE (John7, John6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born in 1910 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She died in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. She married Joseph Smith, son of Joseph Smith and Agnes Brisbane on 10 Jun 1932 in Margaret St, Greenock (Church of Scotland).
Generation 8 (con't) Joseph Smith and Mary Livingstone had the following child: i. LIVING9 SMITH.
23. STUART8 JOHNSTON (Margaret7 Livingstone, Gavin6 Livingstone, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 28 Jan 1891 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. He died on 27 Nov 1927 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He married Agnes Young on 18 Mar 1918 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Stuart Johnston and Agnes Young had the following child: i. AMY9 JOHNSTON was born in 1928 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. She died in 1978 in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, England.
24. JAMES COOPER8 LIVINGSTONE (Neil McLean7, Gavin6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 21 Apr 1895 in Braid Place, Edinburgh. He died in 1961 in London. England. He married AGNES KATE COLLEY (POSSIBLE WIFE).
Notes for James Cooper Livingstone: Some trees have James as being born Paisley, Scotland, 1897, parents Thomas & Ellen Livingstone of 15, Glen St., Paisley, in my opinion this is wrong, he was almost certainly born at Braid St., Edinburgh, his parents being Neil McLean Livingstone & Elizabeth Cooper
James Cooper Livingstone and Agnes Kate Colley (Possible wife) had the following child: i. CHESTER ROY9 LIVINGSTONE.
25. ANDREW8 LIVINGSTONE (Andrew Mitchell7, Gavin6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born in Hanscroft Cottage ??, Camlachie, Lanarkshire. He married Jeannie Ritchie Hendry on 22 Dec 1895 in Hanscroft Cottage, Camlachie, Lanarkshire. Andrew Livingstone and Jeannie Ritchie Hendry had the following child: i. GAVIN9 LIVINGSTONE was born on 13 Mar 1896 in 66 Moncur St., Glasgow. He died date Unknown.
Generation 9 26.
JOHN MARTIN LIVINGSTONE (Donald8, John7, John6, Agnes5 Edmiston, John4 Edmiston, Marion3 Steel, Daniel2 Steele, Alexander Steele1 ?) was born on 14 May 1946 in Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom. He married Sandra (Sarah) McAlees Jamieson, daughter of Thomas Jamieson and Margaret (Peggy) McAlees on 11 Oct 1969 in St.Columba Gaelic Church of Scotland, Greenock.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Wow!!! No doubt that list is the product of many of hours of research over the last few years. It is great to have it all together like that. It is getting late, but tomorrow I am going to enjoy going through it.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

WOW! What a work!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald/Kyle,

There is still lot of tidying up to be done, duplications to be removed, & quite a few additions to be made etc., but given that none of us are getting any younger, I thought I would post it as it stands at present, & update as & when required,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Once again I commend you on the detailed family tree you have provided the Society with and shared with participants of our forum. Your frequent input to this Forum is greatly appreciated and always of interest to myself and others who visit this forum.
I started doing my family genealogy back in the late 1990's and I am glad I did as I don't have the energy I once did and as i have aged my health is not the best. All of the difficult work in the days when a trip to an archives and long hours going though microfilm and old original documents is long done which is good. The Livingstons are pretty much the last family I have been researching and that has been greatly helped by internet research tools not available in the 1990's. I did of course start with my own Livingston family that of my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston around the time I first arrived at the Maclea Livingstone forum but since then I have learned about and researched the many other Livingston families some possibly distantly related by ancestor Miles Livingston and others that are not.

I think some might wonder what the point is to researching Livingstons you are not likely related to but I think that my interest at this point in time is to get a understanding of the origins of the the many Livingston families that lived in highland and lowland Scotland in the 19th century. Certainly one of the most significant things we have learned I think from the genealogy DNA results is that were a number of families in Scotland with the name Livingston/Livingstone some who shared the same ancestry but others that did not. Exploring the Livingston family history census records and the Livingston family trees of some of these families is very helpful in getting a better understanding of where these familiess lived in Scotland and perhaps where they originated in Scotland. All and all a worthwhile project.

regards,

Donald