Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jim,
I did not realize that you had that poor law info where Jean stated her parents were ANgus Livingston and Margaret McPhail. Well I think that is compelling evidence suggesting that the info on her death record a year later in 1862 is an error. You have indeed located the "lost" youngest daughter of old Angus Livingston and Margaret McPhail who originally in the early 1800's resided at Ross of Mull at Shiaba and other areas nearby before eventually ending up at nearby Uragaig,Colonsay sometime before 1841 at one the crofts there. Apparently from Colonsay you can see Ross of Mull. I am in touch with a Canadian descendant of Angus Livingston's brother Donald who also resided at Shiaba in his youth according to the 1779 Arygll Census with their father Neil Livingston. I have no idea if there are still some ruins of the crofts at Shiaba but John probably has checked it out. Anyways that is a far back as John and I have traced back the origins of this Livingston family group to this Shiaba at Ross of Mull.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Jim/Donald,

If I rember correctly, there is a photo of the ruins of an old cottage at Shiaba somewhere on the site, not saying it is the exact house that Angus & Margaret lived in, but it's certainly a close neighbours.

I had a look in Scotlands People last night, before I read that Jim had a copy of the Poor Law info, stating that Angus & Margaret were Janes parents.
Scotlands People only list six Jane Livingstones born between about 1824 & 1829 in Argyllshire, only one was born 1829, so Jim as Donald says, congratulations, I've been trying to find Jane for about probably eight years, with no luck.

Only three to find now of Angus & Margarets family, Duncan, who may have emigrated to Canada, Mary, first born, & a virtually impossible one, as the registrar did not list a christian name, only that it was a female child. (20 May 2017, Given info received, it now appears Duncan probably went to Australia)
Donald & myself have for quite a time suspected it could have been a male child named James, at present that is pure speculation.

You don't by any chance have any info on where Angus & Margaret died, after being resident at Uragaig they disappear, your info on Jane has tied down the period they died in, but we still need to find out where. As their son John & family moved from Colonsay to Islay, I tend to assume they probably also headed for Islay, unfortunately, we have no proof.

There is also a very good chance that Angus fathers name was Neil from Kilpatrick, we know Angus was born & lived at Kilpatrick, Mull, in the late 1700's, this is another one where all the available information, more or less ties in, but not quite enough to say 100%, probably about 99.5%.

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Jim/Donald,

Just had a look, there are two photos of what remains of Shiaba, in the gallery, under Rest of Argyll,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John and Jim,
Great to have those photos of old Shiaba,Ross of Mull at our gallery. One can imagine old Angus and family walked by here years ago many a time. There are a few people out there who have contacted the forum now regarding a connection to old Angus Livingston and his wife Margaret McPhail who were at Shiaba and other tenant settlements on Ross of Mull in the early 1800's. In addition I am contact with a family historian in Canada who is connected to Angus Livingston's brother Donald and one of his sons who left Ross of Mull in the 1840's or 1850's for Ontario, Canada. While John and I have not been able to determine what became of old ANgus and Margaret after they appear in the 1841 census at Uragaig, Colonsay, it is known that his brother Donald and his wife Christy lived their final years at Ross of Mull as paupers while their sons had earlier by the 1850's left for Ontario, Canada.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Around 14th.-15th. May we were talking about Neil L.& his wife Christian Boyd, who are almost certainly parents of Angus, I've just came across the death cert. for their daughter Mary, who was married to a McGilvray. I already knew the information on her death, but had not actually seen the cert. before, nor was I 100% certain about Boyd being her name.

Mary died abt. May 1860, & was buried at Kilpatrick, she was 90 years old & a pauper, her death was registered by her son Lachlan.

John
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi folks

re Angus & Margaret died - I have no info re this.
Poor Law only started in Scotland 1845.
It will be a while before I get back to the Mitchell in Glasgow (holidays keep getting in the way !!).
Prior to 1845 it was Parochial Registers.
They can be a hit and a miss but in places like Mull & Islay there might be a better chance.

Jim Russell
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi again

re Duncan Livingston

I was looking at my 1851 UK Census for Glasgow Barony and found a Duncan Livingston of interest
viz
107 Douglas Street
Archibald Dougall HEAD M 35 Labourer born Argyll Campbelton
Catherine McDougall Wife M 34 born Argyll Mull
John McDougall Son U 10 scholar born Dunbartonshire Bonhill
Archibald McDougall Son U 5 scholar born Dunbartonshire Bonhill
Duncan McDougall Son U 3 born Dunbartonshire Alexandria
Duncan Livingston Visitor M 35 born Argyll Mull
Donald McCalman Visitor U 18 Joiner born Argyll Mull
Alexander McClane Visitor M 30 Hair Dresser born Argyll Mull
(Note the Head is Dougall and his family are McDougall - probably an error)

Duncans age and birthplace are correct and the M stands for married.
The wife of the house Catherine McDougall is born Mull as are the other 2 visitors.

Are any of these names significant to us ?

Also
Their near neighbours at 110 Douglas Street all born Mull
viz
John McInnes Head M 65 Porter
Margaret Mcinnes W M 64
Jessie McInnes D U 28 at home
Mary McInnes D U 22 Warehouse Girl

Also
Other Livingstons I found which might be of interest
viz
49 Dale Street
Mary Livingston HEAD M 28 Washing Woman born Argyll Morven
Frederic Falone Son U 1 scholar at home born LKS Glasgow
and
56 Dale Street
Ann Livingstone HEAD Widow 66 Household Service born Arygll Mull
John Livingstone Son U 24 Mariner born Arygll Mull

Needless to say, there are more born in other parts of Argyll.
(I commented earlier about Glasgow being full of Teuchters !!!)

Jim Russell
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi again

A slight amendment to the last post.
I ommitted Duncan's occupation.
It should read
viz
Duncan Livingston Visitor M 35 Labourer born Argyll Mull

JIm Russell
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

This has turned out to be quite a productive week, I've just found another few members of the Livingstone clan;

1. Andrew Livingstone married Maggie McQueen (It appears Maggie is actually her name, not Margaret, Margaret was deleted, & replaced by Maggie), marriage was on 1st. May 1883 at Scanlistle, Kilmeny.

Andrews parents; James Angus Livingstone & Flora McDougall, James is son of John Livingstone & Agnes Edmiston.

Margarets parents; Donald McQueen & Janet McIntyre

2. Family of Andrew & Maggie;

Agnes Livingstone b. 13 Oct. 1886 at Caol Ila.

Peter Livingstone b. 3rd. March 1889 at Freeport, Kilmeny.

Hugh Livingstone b. 13 Feb. 1896 at 54, Grace St., Glasgow,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Accidentally deleted this post,

John.
Last edited by jmlivingstone on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.