Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by jmlivingstone »

Some more assistance required on family members of Angus & Margaret Livingstone;

1. Mary, b. Glasgow, Lanarkshire - 31 Oct. 1802.
2. Jane, b. Shiaba - 18 Jan. 1829.
3. Unknown, b. Shiaba - 29 Sept. 1816, birth appears on OPR as a female child (Donald & myself have had a suspicion that this could actually be the elusive James, who appears in the 1841 census at Uragaig, Colonsay).

Again, www.scotsfamily.com have researched the above with no success, hopefully, someone will come up with an answer, or at least a clue, to what happened to the above ladies,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

The Angus Livingston and Margaret Hall family is a challenging one but it is clear that there roots were at Ross of Mull and subsequently before 1840 at nearby Isle of Colonsay as the 1841 census indicates at least for the parents ANgus and Margaret. Regarding the son Hugh Livingston and his wife Jean that you mentioned appear last in the 1861 Census in Glasgow I noticed their youngest son was Duncan Livingston born abt. 1858. Could that be Duncan Livingston born Oct. 5, 1857 Bridgeton, Glasgow son of Hugh Livingston and Jane Shannon. Jean is also Jane in terms of scottish names and I thought perhaps there would not be two Hugh and Jean or Jane Livingstons residing in Glasgow in 1857. More recently I see references to the Community of Calton and Bridgeton, Glasgow on the internet so this there does seem possibly your relatives that lived at Calton, Glasgow.

If Hugh, Jean and family went to Canada after 1861 they might show up in the 1871 or 1881 Census but so far I have not seen them as a family group in Canada or the U.S. We will however continue to look. Presumingly whereever they went they went together as the family Hugh and Jean/Jane? with Robert and young Duncan born abt 1857/1858. I agree with you they certainly seem to disappear as a group from Great Britain strongly suggesting they emigrated to North America or Australia. I am hoping in time that we link up with our Australian and New Zealand Livingston folks to keep up with the Livingston genealogical research there. The likelihood that Hugh, Jean and family disappeared into thin air is zero. There is no doubt information out there or some descendant who knows something of what happened to Hugh and Jean or the youngest family members of this family Robert b. abt. 1849 born in Renfrewshire, and younger brother Duncan born abt. 1857/1858 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire. If they maintained good health they may have lived well after 1900 and so that later census records and other famiy information for Robert and Duncan may yet exist somewhere in North America or Australia/New Zealand. Given that if they emigrated a s they may have at a later point 1860s? from Scotland certainly Australia or New Zealand would be a possible destination, but alas I just dont have any leads at this point. Do you have a clues regarding Robert and Duncan?

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I just had a look at Duncan, that is definitely the correct family, the James St. address is where they lived for most of their time in Glasgow. At least that birth cert. is easy to read, the name Shannon was almost illegible on their marriage cert. I've also got some info. on others of Hughs family members, somewhere, I had forgotten until you mentioned Duncans birth date.

I'm not 100% sure that they emigrated to Canada, I read an article in the Corncrake on the subject, then contacted the person who had written it, I got further info. from her, & in many ways it looked good, names & dates more or less tallied, I was just never totally convinced, I'll have to dig it out & have another look.

The unknown female, is another strange one, the registrar has left a space for her name on the OPR, it got me wondering if she possibly died very shortly after birth, I don't see a baby being baptised without a christian name, again, I can find no proof one way or the other.

I'll need to check Islay marriages, see if I can find anything on Jane/Jean or Anns marriages.

I think, basically, I am clutching at straws at present, I'm going to send more or less what I posted the other day, to as many sites as possible, hopefully someone may come up with something.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

As far as the 1881 Canadian Census is concerned there is only one Hugh Livingston that comes close your ancestor and that is Hugh Livingston b. abt. in Scotland in 1821 and married to Margaret also born abt. 1821 and residing in Grey County, Ontario but not the same family I am quite sure. I think I am familiar also with the ancestral line of this family though but they are not descended from Angus and Margaret though they may be from Ross of Mull through Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell. I think I have notes on the Grey County Livingstons somewhere and was in touch with a decendant interestingly enough. Have to check my notes again on that. Head a bit rusty today. My search continues.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Definitely Jean Shannon married your Hugh Livingstone 19th November 1842 and in the 1857 birth record of their son Duncan Jean Shannon is referred to as Jane Shannon. Definitely Jane/Jean Shannon.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Just added a few members to the family of James Angus Livingstone & his wife Flora McDougall,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Sorry which family were they connected to again and how.?

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Original posting was on 20 July 2011, ref family of James Angus Livingstone & Flora McDougall, James Angus is a son of Angus & Margaret, it appears James & his wife Flora had a rather bad time, having about three or four kids dying very young.

I have added some info on these family members, whom I found recently on Ted Larsons records of Islay deaths,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

See below, this couple had at least 4 kids died under 5 years old, my first post the other night on this subject, missed a few facts, possibly something to do with sampling a couple of glasses of Isle of Jura 16 year old malt before posting.

Twin sons born 18th.Jan. 1855 at Kilmeny, one appears to have
died at birth, Andrew survived. (I now know one son definitely died at birth).
Lachlan, b. 18 Sept. 1861, Kilmeny.
Lachlan, d. 01 Nov. 1863, Keill, Kilmeny at two years old. (294761 is shown in Ted Larsons records).
Unknown, born abt. 1858.
Daughter Agnes, born abt. 1860.
Son Hugh born abt. 1864.
Duncan, d. 07 March 1869, Kilmeny at 4 months old. (384146 is shown in Ted Larsons records).
Mary, d. 22 Nov. 1871, 5 years old, at Torabuss, Kilmeny. (224619 is shown in Ted Larsons records).
Daughter Isabella born abt. 1872.
Son James born abt. 1874.

John,
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Ive heard the malt whiskey from the Isle of Jura is legendary. I have no doubt that a Livingstone scot like yourself knows his highland whiskey. Cheers to you. It was the Chief's birthday a week or so ago. Lets toast to him.

I was thinking of the James Livingston that resided on Colonsay and in the 1840's came to Canada with his wife Margaret McMillan whom he married just before in Colonsay might have been Angus Livingston's son but of course that is not proven with 100 percent certainty. It does seem like he was the James Livingston who appears in the Census of 1840 with Angus and Margaret Livingston of Arasaig, Colonsay. I have been working on a couple of other Livingston related genealogy and family history projects so have not been as active with the forum as usual. Sorry about that.

regards,

Donald