Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Sorry forgot to mention.
Nice work on finding Mrs John McGilvray as another family member of the Neil Livingston and Christian Boyd family originally of Shiaba, Ross of Mull. Mary McGilvray's death record was further proof that Neil Livingstons wife was Christian Boyd. Great to have more information on the family of Neil Livingston of Shiaba, Ross of Mull other than the 1779 Argyll Census. Slowy but surely we have taken your Livingston family back well into the 1700's at Ross of Mull.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

While we dont know precisely what became of Angus Livingston and his wife Margaret who were circa 1841 Census residing at Uragaig in Colonsay near Jura, but we do know that on neighbouring Ross of Mull by 1841, the 7th Duke of Argyll faced with a large number of tenants farming small plots with low rents and tenants often in arrears began contemplating removing such tenants and considered more effiencent use of his tenant holdings. By 1846 there was the potato famine which would greatly affected Ross of Mull and left the Duke's tenants who depended on the Potato in a famine situation. In 1847 the Marquis of Lorne became the 8th Duke of Argyll and he began encouraging his tenants to emigrate and began clearing them from Shiaba and other locations in Southern Ross of Mull. There are apparently lists circa 1847 of those Ross of Mull tenants who wished to settle in Canada a petition which apparently includes the names of 963 who were interested in emigrating. During the famine years from 1846 to 1856 large numbers from Ross of Mull chose to settle in Canada or Australia. ANgus Livingston's brother Donald's sons left Southern Ross of Mull in the early 1850's I think it was for Ontario, Canada. The 8th Duke of Argyll is known to
have evicted tenants from Shiaba in 1847.

The Ross of Mull Historical Centre has researched the evictions of the tenants from Southern Ross of Mull and are quite familiar with the history of Shiaba. THere are number of Walking tour books you can send away for through them one of which is walking guide for Asapol and nearby Shiaba ruins. I would like to know how we can a get a copy of these tenant lists of the Ross of Mull from 1847 or later with those wishing to emigrate or those who infact are emigrating. There may be similiar lists which includes tenants that resided on nearby Colonsay for this time period. Anyways might be worthwhile contacting this the Ross of Mull HIstorical Centre who are probably familiar with what tenant lists of the 8th Duke of Argyll and his factor survived for the 1840's and 1850's.

Based upon the Kilfinichen Parish records for Ross of Mull we have some idea where ANgus and his brother Donald resided in the early 1800's and when. Angus was apparently residing at Kilpatrick from around 1805 to 1807 and subsequently by 1809 he was back at Shiaba where he and his father had resided in 1779 according the Arygll information. His last child was born in 1829 also at Shiaba. HIs brother Donald was at nearby Asapol from 1805 and then by 1807 he is at Kilpatrick til about 1812 where his brother ANgus had been for a time. Then for some reason Donald and family return to Asapol during the 1814 and 1824 period. While brother Angus left Shiaba, Ross of Mull sometime after 1829 and before 1841 for nearby island of Colonsay, his brother Donald and his wife Christie Campbell remained in Southern Ross of Mull despite the many evictions taking place, apparently impoverished and later recorded as paupers at Ardtun where Donald recorded as a pauper died at the age of 84 on Sept. 27 1866. Despite all the hardship Donald and his wife Christie Campbell must of have endured during those famine years and later years as elderly paupers, the landlord seems to have failed to get them out of Ross of Mull and it is there where they died.

Interestingly at the same time as Angus and Donald there was a third Livingston named Duncan Livingston born abt. 1786 and his wife Margaret McCormick who resided at Creich in the early 1800`s After their marriage from about 1812 to 1816 they appear from the parish records to be located at Ardchivaig and then from 1819 to 1825 back at Creich. Following that the records indicate the family moved to Kintra on Ross of Mull which is in close proximity to the isle of Iona apparently. i thought that Kintra was in Iona based on the the famiies later census records but I think Kintra is actually nearby on the Ross of Mull. I dont know whether or not this Duncan is related to ANgus and Donald but I was wondering if he was sibling born after 1779.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

The link below has photos of Kintra, which is around 9-10 miles from Shiaba & around 6-7 miles from Bunnessan,

John

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kintra ... 37&bih=519
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

What a splendid collection of photos, John. We were on Mull in mid-end May during the very hot spell and visited Kintra.

Jill
Jill Richmond
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald/Jim,

While looking for a death cert for Jane/Jean, I found Jane/Jeans death, & I accidently came across her sister-in-law Jeans death, she was Hughs wife;

Jean Shannon, 5, Union St.,Calton, Glasgow, on 11 May 1863, wife of Hugh Livingstone, master wood turner.

Jeans father was Robert Shannon, flesher & her mother Mary Cameron.

I had traced Hugh through Glasgow Post Office Directories over a few years, their last residence being Union St., they had previously resided at 26, James St., for a few years.

I think James St., was later named Bryce St., & Union St named Moncur St.,

I'll have to try harder to find Hugh now, anyway, we're slowly getting there, I doubt if I would ever have found this one if Jim hadn't posted info on Jane/Jean, so thanks Jim,

John
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi John

From the Glasgow & West Of Scotland FHS publication on Glasgow addresses I confirm that
James St. was renamed Bryce St. & Union St was renamed Moncur St.
Can't give you a year however I would guess 1846.
It was in 1846 that Calton (+Anderston, Gorbals & much of Barony) was brought into the
city of Glasgow.

Re Jane Livingston d. 02Jan1862 at 139 Gt Eastern Road.
From the same publication re Gt Eastern Road.
It is first named as such on a map 1857-58 starting in Camlachie.
The section of road between the end of Gallowgate and the start of Gt Eastern Road was simply
called the "Road To Edinburgh".
Abt 1865 the "Road To Edinburgh" disappeared when Gallowgate was extended east to the
Camlachie burn and Gt Eastern Road followed eastwards from there.
In 1925-26 Gt Eastern Road disappeared when Gallowgate was extended east to Parkhead Cross.

For your info.

Jim Russell
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Hugh Livingstone born abt. 1819/1820/ 1821 in Ross of Mull who was residing with parents Angus and Margaret Livingston in 1841 at their tenant farm at Uragaig, Colonsay and who resides in 1861 in Glasgow Calton on 23 James Street with wife Jean, and children Margaret, Robert and Duncan is your great-great grandfather or great-great-great grandfather?

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

It's actually Hughs brother John I'm descended from, I suppose Hughs something like a g/g/grand uncle.

Hugh also had a son called Hugh, b. 1846 Glasgow, d. 13 Sept. 1859.

I've been trying to find where Hugh died, it's rather difficult, I think there was around fourteen Hughs with roughly the correct birth date in Glasgow,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Yes Hugh's brother John Livingstone woolen and cotton weaver who died age 52 July sixth 1858 at Tirvagan, Kilmeny Parish, Islay. Parents: Angus Livingstone Chelsea Pensioner and Margaret McPhail deceased. He was buried in the Kilmeny Burial Ground according to his death record. His son James was the witness. An Ordinance Survey Map shows Tiervaagain as being nearby and a short distance south west of the old Kilmeny Church cemetery on the Island of Islay in the old parish of Kilmeny. Perhaps that is the cemetery where John is buried.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Jim,

I was looking through census records & found an Andrew who could just possibly be a son of Edward & Jane, might be stretching the imagination a bit, but birth date & place are close, so may be worth some further research.

I also found birth certs. for Janet, abt. 13 March 1857 (difficult to read), & Andrew 05 Dec. 1859 at Camlachie, no sign of Margaret or James so far,

John.

1.1901 Scotland Census
Name: Andrew Logan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Where born: Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Registration number: 644/2
Registration district: Camlachie
Civil parish: Glasgow Camlachie
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 88 East John St

2.Dorset, England, Crew Lists,
Name: Andrew Logan