Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Jim/Donald,

Jim if you can get this information for Donald, that would be great, as it will be 5-6 weeks before I get a chance to get through to Edinburgh.
The link below has transcripts of the field diaries Donald was talking about, although, a librarian I spoke to, is of the opinion this may be all that is presently available.

John.

http://www.carmichaelwatson.lib.ed.ac.u ... en/results
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi John & Donald
I trawled the Carmichael Watson site a few days ago.

You can actually bring up the folio pages.
Enter CW126f/68 into the search and you see the original docs.
The original handwriting is terrible - thank goodness there's a translation.
Clicking on 'diplomatic' improves the text. I've tidied up a little of the puncuation.
viz
"John Livingstone son of L. (Livinstone) Ach na crei went to Morvern
His son Donald fot at Culloden aged 18. Nine Donald were shot down carrying the Bratach
of the Prince when Don Livingstone took it up and swathed round his body.
He was shot down and was thought to be dead but he got up with nine bullet wounds – fresh
wounds which were seen in his body when he died aged 79 or 80 years old.
Never had trews on.
He was drover to George being commissariat to the garrison at F. William to the last.
Died at Morvern.
He had six sons – two of whom were drowned on Cuan na h-Eirinn having a vesel of their own
with which they traded to Ireland.
There were 2 dats. (daughters) died unmarried.
Donald Molach – "hairy Dond " He was called – in Savary.
His wife Jane Stewart of Ardslignish.
The mother of Donull Molach was Ann Macinnes native of Morvern"

"Don Molach brot two horses from Culloden one in each hand
He gave one of these to James a Ghlinne – Stewart of Glenure
He fought under the banner of the Stewarts and took up the flag
Saved the heir of Lochuie who fell in the linne mhuillinn at a dinner.
Don Mol jumped in and threw him up from the bottom.
Swam from Glen borrodal to Dorlinn for a wager put on his osain"

The heading for the doc is "Reference for the story of the Baron of Bachuil and his two daughters".
I'll do some more trawling but I'm now wondering if the above is all we're going to get.

Jim Russell
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi John - Donald

An update after a couple of hours trawling Carmichael Watson.
It convinces me that it needs research by someone very well versed in the Livingstones.
There are Dr Livingstone genealogical notes as well.

It also poses a question.
Do we know of a man named "An Gorm Mor" (known as Gorm Mor) ?
He appears to have been a MacLea or Livingstone Baron c. 1550.

His full title appears to have been Gorm Mor Mac An Leigh.
CW120/38 states
An Gorm Mor and Macanlea Mor are one and the same.

He lived at Castle Achnanduin (Lismore) - various spellings viz
Achnandoun, Acha Nan Duin, Achadhanduin, Ach Nan Aird, Ach Nan Air & Achananard

He was killed by a bull, brought to the cross and buried in the
plot of the Livingstones near the Barons of Bachuil.

CW120/17 states
fish found on the shore gave the plague to the people of Achadhanduin.

CW106/51 states
The Gorm Mors dat (daughter) went to church at Clach (Clachan) & in retg (returning)
home to Achananduin died at Laiguanach from a plaigh then ravgin (ravaging) Lis (Lismore).
She was bur.(buried) where she fell.

Re Donald Molach - I've viewed all the docs.
I'll contact the Uni. but expect them to say there's no more than whats online.
If so, we'll not get any more on his children.

To be continued.
Jim Russell
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi guys - 3rd post of the day

I've spent many hours on the Carmichael Watson site today.
I've been thro the complete CW120 (refs 001-344).
I haven't looked in any detail at the Dr Livingstone genealogical notes.

Of interest are

CW120/15
"Mac-an-lé-mor a Chaist (Chaisteil) was last who occ (occupier) of Ach-nan-Air (Aird) of Argyll."
and
CW120/20
"Daughter of the caistealan went to see her lover in Island & her father told her hewuld (would) shoot her.
He killed her as she was crossing the Doirlinn her body buried in Cladh a ghleannain
Another cladh at Pillebhudh on a beautful (beautiful) knoll."

So that the 2 unmarried daughters possibly accounted for !!!

Also of interest is
CW120/229
A song and accompanying story 'Neacainn an Duin'
"Macneacain an Duin lived in Dun-da-ramh near head of Loch fine.
Macneacain ran away with his wifes sister.
His wife composed this.
He never retd (returned) to his wife.
True story."
The singer & storyteller was
"Ann Livingstone (nee MacPherson) cottar aged near 80.
Widow of Wm (William) Livingstone Wm (William) Mor who died 13 years ago"
Her address appears to be Airds Bay, Taynuilt (as per heading).
Interview was 18Sep1884.
"She sang this sweetly and she says her mother sang it very well.
Anns moth (mother) a MacCallum from Laudal Morvern & a beaut (beautiful) singer"

That's enough for today.
Jim Russell
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jim,
Thats great. I suspected that the actual names of Donald's family except for his father John, mother Ann McInnes and wife Jean Stewart were not list but I to be certain. As luck would have a few years back I had some luck identifying a few of the sons and one of the two spinster daughters that Carmichael aludes to. From my research I have concluded that his daughter Ann and her brother Robert were the last of the children of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and his wife Jean (Jane) Stewart to live at the family home at Savary. I also verifed from their death records that Ann and Robert neither of which ever married were the children of Donald Livingston and Jean or Jane Stewart. I am fairly certain that both were likely buried at the old cemetery at Keil, Colmkil Cemeteryl or whatever it was called in MOrvern. One of their death records in fact states that they were buried there in the 1850's. Apart from the old ornate table tomb that old Donald had built for his parents around 1760, I have not seen the tombs of the other family members. I also have located in the records a couple other sons of Donald Livingston and Jane Stewart that lived and died in MOrvern parish and one or two that I suspect are his fact his sons. It is entirely possibly that there were more than six sons. The 1779 Argyll Census indicates he had 6 sons as of 1779 but I am thinking that there were one or two sons born after that.

I think that one of the Livingstons in the area told Carmichael that it was Donald's father John Livingstone that was from Achnacree and settled in MOrvern, but another account also from the late 1800's from a relative of Donald Livingstone residing in America, apparently based upon Nieces or nephews of Donald Livingstone came up with different version of the story stating that Donald Livingstone's ancestors from Achnacree in Argyll arrived around 1600 at Savary, Morvern or at least at Morvern. This may have been taken from a story told to the nieces by Donald Livinstone himself. One story that the Carmichael was not aware of that apparently the nieces were aware of was that Donald had a brother killed at Culloden while trying aid a wounded friend . Another brother lived for years at Savary with Donald. SOme of this. surviving brother's family ended up the USA by the 1840's. Both accounts agree that Donald was a hero at Culloden and that before Savary, Morvern DOnalds ancestors resided in Benderloch and are descended from Achnacree Macleas or Livingstons. But there is significant difference in the two accounts in terms of when Donald Mollach's family arrived in Morvern Parish, Argyllshire from Benderloch or Achnacree.

regards,

Donald
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi John & Donald

I've now searched Carmichael Watson CW106 001-132, CW120 001-344, CW122 001-201 & CW126 001-051.

The following appear of interest and sort of repeat some of the previous info
viz

CW106/28
An Gorm mor liv at Ach an duin. He made meetg with the evil one to
fight him f. 9r He took with him at Camus a ghuirm
at Eigneig. A bull made his ap & the other
ran off. When his frnds cam they fod the gorm
killed & took him. Leac-a-Ghuirm is on the Crois.

CW106/40
An Gorm Mor was the last who lived at
Castle Achnanduin. He took a boat
& crew & went to the Gaireleass.When
he landed he request the peop to leave.
When they went out out they saw
a raging black bull tearing down the glen
& he & the Gorm Morf. 13v meet 40 yrs from the shore
where they fot . When thy went back thy
fd the Gorm Mor dead & brot him
to the Crois where he is buried in the
plod of the Livingstones near
the Barons of Bachuil. He was the Gorm Mor Mac an Leigh.
This stone has not been touched for at least 200 yrs .

CW106/56
the MacanLeigh Mor lived in the isle f. 17r & his dat (daughter) came to
see her muime & oide who lived at Laguanach where Eown Car michael is
who were in the Plai (Plaigh).
Her fath- (father) came aft (after) her & stood at the dorlin & cal (called)
her back & told her he wold (would)shoot her
she died of the plai (plaigh) & was burd (buried) at a grey boulder
at Pillebhride.
MacCeallaich was the last bishop at Achnandun.
All the stones for the castle must have been hoisted

Only other thing of interest from the Index was in CW226 "Some Unrecorded Incidents of the '45".
This has a ref to Donald Livingstone but with no image or transcript available online.

I've spoken with Guinevere Barlow at Carmichael Watson collection 0131 650 2880 (direct).
She is the lady who deals with it on a daily basis.
She is very knowledgable and also very helpful.

She has today examined the documents CW226 "Some Unrecorded Incidents of the '45".
Her email states -
CW226 – notes about Donald Livingstone
Folio 2
average in circumference of chest and limb
all indications of extraordinary [circled] strength
and endurance. In old age he was
wont to sit outside at his door and often in weather
that would have killed most men. He al-
ways wore the kilt and with[supra]a big broad(?) bonnet.
upon his head[scored out]. Dr ???added that Don-
ald Livingstone had been of much beloved
for his kind and honest disposition & he
had been admired for his marvellous
strength resource of resonance[supra] activity and courage.

Folio 3
In after life Donald Livingstone was wont to
say that the whale was the only thing that
ever frightened him. He was afraid that the
whale would swallow him up John(?) [scored out]
Johna(?)-like and how he was to get out of that
he did not know and who would give the news
that the Prince had [supra] was away! [scored out] –escaped!
Cha robhfiosfomhoirmhathahrain[supra] aigeciamar
aghiobhte [under] gheobhadh e a broinnnamuicemara
nanbhugsadhi e. He did not know
fromunder [supra] how to get out of the belly of the
sea-lord if [scored out] ??? [supra] she swallowed him!

She has also confirmed that what I have viewed online is as much as we will get.
Some other docs have not been transcribed or indexed but she expects that had they names in them then they would have been done by now.

For your info.
Jim Russell
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jim,
Carmichael used information from his notes in later articles which are included in our CLan Website, but your efforts to locate the original research notes pertaining to all things of an Argyll highland Livingstone is greatly appreciated and there are definitely a some information I had not seen before. I have been doing my own research and did an article on Donald Livingstone a few years ago for Clan Maclea Livingstone, but I have more detailed info in the past year on the family of Donald Livingstone that updates and corrects my earlier information. While the notes did not reveal or verify the names of the six or more sons and 2 daughters of Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern there are some further details definitely of interest regarding Donald that add to what we already know from Carmichael's article on the man. Well done Jim. I am going out today, but I will inform the Baron of Bachuil our Clan Chief of your efforts to locate and copy the original notes from the Alexander Carmichael Collection.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jim and John,
Carmichael used information from his notes in later articles which are included in our CLan Website, but your efforts to locate the original research notes pertaining to all things of an Argyll highland Livingstone is greatly appreciated and there are definitely a some information I had not seen before. I have been doing my own research and did an article on Donald Livingstone a few years ago for Clan Maclea Livingstone, but I have more detailed info in the past year on the family of Donald Livingstone that updates and corrects my earlier information. While the notes did not reveal or verify the names of the six or more sons and 2 daughters of Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern there are some further details definitely of interest regarding Donald that add to what we already know from Carmichael's article on the man. Well done Jim. I am going out today, but I will inform the Baron of Bachuil our Clan Chief of your efforts to locate and copy the original notes from the Alexander Carmichael Collection. He is quite familiar with Alexander Carmichael's articles which he has included for some years now on our CLan Website.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Another probable descendant of Angus & Margaret;

Chester Roy Livingstone, b. London 07 Oct. 1918, d. New Zealand 1988, f. James Cooper Livingstone, b. Edinburgh 1895, d. London 1961.

At present I am not 100% sure of this one, I am presently waiting on a copy of the death cert., so, I'll just have to wait & see what comes back from NZ.

I have searched all available records for James Cooper Livingstone in UK records, he appears to be the only one with this name anywhere close to the dates in available UK BDM records. Plus he was known as Jock, which pretty much makes it certain he had a Scottish accent,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Sorry I did not see your message earlier. I have been on holidays. Sounds like another encouraging lead to kin of your ancestor Angus Livingston and Margaret McPhail of Ross of Mull and later Colonsay.

regards,

Donald