Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

We dont know precisely when Angus and Margaret ended on Colonsay and left Ross of Mull but from the 1861 Census there is information that Angus Livingstons grandson John Livingston born abt. 1833 or 1832 son of John Livingston and Agnes Edmiston was born on Colonsay and not Ross of Mull. In the 1861 Census Angus Livingston's grandson John born abt. 1833 or 1832 is residing in Kilmeny Parish with his mother Agnes Livingston recorded as age 66 and born in Livingstone,Linlithgowshire and with is his son Andrew age 6 born at Kilmeny Parish

regards,

Donadl
b9russell

Post by b9russell »

Hi John

Thanks for that re Janet & Andrew.

I have a 1927 extract of Janets birth certificate.
I viewed the original on fiche in 2001 and I recall it being poor.
On my extract it has the witness "Janet Lillie her X mark Aunt present".
She is in fact Janet Little (even the registrar who did the extract in 1927 had problems with the writing).
Edward Logan's 2nd wife Agnes O'Neil was Janet's daughter per Poor Law report dated 15Feb1893.

Re Andrew - Poor Law report dated 20Dec1861 states he was born at 139 Gt Eastern Rd (Camlachie).
The Crew List item could be him.
The 1901 census is probably him - East John Street (Camlachie) was renamed Bluevale Street.

Thanks again.
Jim Russell
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Jim,

If you want copies of what I have on Jane, & anything else on the Livingstone family, contact me & I'll forward what I have,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Odd thing about Andrew Livingston born in 1855 at Kilmeny Parish and recorded in the 1861 Census residing in Kilmeny with widow Agnes Livingston and her son John (wool and linen weaver) is that though the 1861 census states that Andrew is the son of John and grandson of Agnes the birth information from Kilmeny Parish for 1855 indicates that Andrew is actually the son of James Livingston age 25 weaver born in Livingston and his Flora MCDougall 26 of Kilmeny Parish. Could he be an older brother of your ancestor John? The birth record also indicates that James and Flora married in Kilmeny Parish,Islay in 1852.

Then her death record from November 22,1868 records Agnes Livingston age 72 widow of John Livingston weaver dying in Parish of Stirling, Stirlingshire her son Andrew is a witness. So the age is about right so I assumed this is the same Agnes Livingston who is in the 1861 Census at Kilmeny Parish, Islay and who lost her husband John Livingston born abt. 1805 also a weaver in 1858 in Kilmeny Parish, Islay. Definitely a few dots to connect but I see how your kin moved around alot over the years.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I had a look at the census, John is listed as unmarried on it, it's definitely his brother James Angus, who is Andrews father.

You have the right Agnes, she died Nov. 1868, at 33, Queen St., Stirling, at the house of her son Andrew Mitchell Livingstone.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Regarding Andrew Livingston born 1855 in Kilmeny Parish, Island of Islay, Argyllshire
Thanks for that clarification regarding who Andrew's father was. My Scottish census source is secondary and copied by someone so there is always a chance of a transcription error such as that occurring. Or someone just assumed that John son of Agnes was the father of Andrew. In any event the check of the Kilmeny Parish records for 1855 confirms that James is the father and not his brother John. This James Livingston born abt. 1829 and his wife Flora McDougall of Kilmeny Parish, Islay then would have been your great-great Uncle and Aunt or something like that?

Thanks again,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

There also appears to be poor rolls for Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull from the year 1845 and 1846 which may include Donald Livingston brother of old Angus. It may be however that Donald and his wife Christie did not end up as Paupers in Ross of Mull until after 1850. I just noticed that in their later years they were recorded as paupers. Most of their children had long since settled in Canada. Some of them settled in Grey County, Ontario in the 1850's.Occasionally one comes across old cemetery stones of highland pioneer Livingston settlers in the pioneer cemteries of Ontario. Only a few of them survive today. The tombstone of Donald and Christie's son John born abt. 1825 or 1824 in Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull can be found in Priceville Old Pioneer Cemetery in Artemesia Township, Grey County, Ontario

In memory of John Livingstone died May 1, 1883 age 68 yrs a native of the Island of Mull, Argyllshire

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Don't we have a photo of that gravestone somewhere, I've certainly got one on some site, I'll have a look at the weekend.

Just checked, http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org has a photo of this stone,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Now that you mention it I did a photo of the cemetery stone on a cemetery site somewhere. Thanks for refreshing the old memory.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I've got a foto of the gravestone, if there are no copyright problems, I'll post it on the site, need advice before I do,

John