Scotland to Pictou,Nova Scotia to Chicago,Il.,Livingston's

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Scotland to Pictou,Nova Scotia to Chicago,Il.,Livingston's

Post by Jewel »

Hello everyone,

I started out looking into a post by Roberta which gave a James Livingston b.1776 Scotland living in chicago, Il. While looking at the 1860 census for James I also saw a Robert Livingston with his family living a few blocks from James Livingston. It stated Robert was born Germany, but his wife and 3 of his children were born Nova Scotia. Robert's children names matched up with Jame's children. I then went to the 1870 census for Chicago,Il and found Robert Livingston with his familly, but now it stated Roberts birth as Nova Scotia, and living on the same street as Robert & faMILY was Christina Livingston b. Sct. (wife of James) living with her son John Livingston b. Nova Scotia , Maggie (Margaret b. Sct., and Hannah(Harriet)b. Nova Scotia. I then continued to follow these 2 Livingston familys through the census for Chicago, Il.

Now I was curious where in Nova Scotia these 2 families lived. I found many of the obituaries for these 2 families. The first one I found was for James Livingston, Christina's husband, but it only stated his age,date and please copie to Nova Scotia papers. After finding a death notice for a Hannah C. Livingston who was a daughter of James & Christina Livingston I got lucky and it stated that Hannah was born Pictou,Nova Scotia. So now I knew where in Nova Scotia James & Christina must have lived at the time of Hannah's birth. That was great but I still had nothing to link James Livingston & Robert Livingston. Then thanks to Roberta for finding a marriage record for Robert Livingston and Anna Campbell , January 24, 1845 Blue Mountain, Pictou, Nova Scotia.
I don't know what the connection is between these 2 families, Robert is stated as being born 1820 Nova Scotia. At first I thought he might be a son of James & Christina Livingston, but in the 1860 Census it stated that James & Christina's first child listed is Margaret who was born 1822 Scotland. Which would make Roberta a few years older, but he was born Nova Scotia, so that seems unlikely.

I also can't say whether this James Livingston b. 1776, Scotland is the son of John Livingston and Catherine Finlay of Dundee.

I have more information in regards to these 2 Livingston families , census , year of immigration to the U.S. and death dates for the children . Which I could post later if there is any interest.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Scotland to Pictou,Nova Scotia to Chicago,Il.,Livingsto

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

Clever deductions working with the few clues available. Yes it is quite clear now that James and now this Robert who lived in close proximity to James in Chicago are of Pictou,Nova Scotia origin leading one to suspect a possible family connection. Most importantly you have located what part of Nova Scotia, James Livingston was living at the time of his daughter's birth and possibly his origin point in Nova Scotia. If James and his familly were living in the Pictou area in the 1840's I wonder if there is a census from the 1840's for the Pictou area that would give us some idea of the location of the Livingston families in that area of Nova Scotia. I think Pictou in general was an arrival port for a number of families arriving by ship in the early 1800's into Nova Scotia and Cape Breton but no doubt there were some Livingstons that lived in that area in t he early 1800's. Before 1901 there were Livingstons in the Thorburn and New Glasgow area of Pictou County, some in New Lairg and Westville. One Livingston Donald age 50 at Merigomish in 1901. In early times pioneer Malcolm Livingston was at Merigomish, Pictou County but subsequently in the early 1800's his widow and sons were settled in neighbouring Antigonish County.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello,

The only Livingston I could find in the census of 1838 was a Alexander Livingston of Pictou TWP.farmer. Zero males under 6 , zero females under 6, 1 male under 14, 2 females under 14, 2 males over 14, 1 female over 14.

Also in the yeR 1809 a request for land grant in Merigomish by a Allen Livingston single man of,18, 200 acres.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

Allen Livingston was one of pioneer Malcolm's sons. Later following Malcolm's death, the widow and sons were in neighbouring Antigonish County. There is early census information for these Livingstons in Antigonish County as well. I think there is a Livingstone Cove in Antigonish County connected to some of them. Seems likely that old James Livingston of Chicago was connected to one of the Pictou County families but which one I wonder? New Glasgow,New Lairg,Westville,West River, Middle River? I havent had a chance to look at Livingstons in the 1871 Census in Pictou County. Last time I looked at the 1871 Census for Nova Scotia the focus was Inverness County, Cape Breton primarily. I would imagine many of the Livingston families we see in the 1881 Census in Pictou are probably in the 1871 Census in any event. Just a matter of figuring out which of these families, James might perhaps be connected to. No easy task to be certain.
regards,

Donald