Duncan Livingstone from Cuil Bay

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Duncan Livingstone from Cuil Bay

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kaye,

Not a problem. Glad to hear from our New Zealand Livingstones/Livingstons anytime. Have been busy myself lately working on a few other Livingstone related projects. You are indeed fortunate to have finally found yourself a copy. Yes I dont mean to sound like I am doing a comercial but Abes Books cant be beat for a quick and reliable source for used and rare history books. It has a nice cover design as well. Very appropriate for a book about Western Argyll folklore. I'm sure you will enjoy reading it. And as there are few books out there that even mention our Clan in any detail it is well worth grabbing a copy of it if one is fortunate to find one available. Amazingly a few months ago, I located a copy of the extremely rare "Lismore in Alba" but it was over 200 dollars U.S and I hesitated spending that much when most of the Livingston related info in the book is drawn largely from the work of Celtic folklore researcher Alexander Carmichael and can be found in the earlier articles of Alexander Carmichael and excerpts from "Lismore in Alba" found on our Clan Website.

Have you any idea when the first Livingstones/Livingstons began settling in New Zealand and when did the New Zealand Census records begin? When did your Livingstons first settle in New Zealand. Hopefully when you and Ginger make the big expedition to Ballachulish both of you will keep a journal and take plenty of photographs for a future article in the Clan Society Newsletter. I found more info on the Ballachulish slate quarries.

regards,

Donald
heatherbell

Post by heatherbell »

I am excited to read of some familiar names after years of researching and establishing a group the "Friends of Appin Society" in 1998 with the aim of tying together some of the threads of Appin history that I inherited as Heather Rose McCole, daughter of Ernest Duncan Stewart McCole, son of Archibald Appin Lorne Stewart McCole, son of Duncan George Campbell Stewart McColl , son of Duncan McColl (born in Glasdrum - 1791) and Mary Stewart. Duncan George Campbell Stewart McCole came to Australia, possibly around 1850 and married Annie McDonald and had a daughter Mary at Bushy Park in Gippsland in 1853. He settled in Sale (Victoria) and he and brother Archibald were on the first Sale Council. Two other brothers Paul and William emigrated and made their lives in Australia. Duncan and Mary with the children remaining at home are recorded in the 1841 census as "McCale"

Duncan's family included a sister Elizabeth McColl, who according to family records married Hugh Livingstone and had two sons, Malcolm (born in Glasgow in 1860) and Duncan Paul(born 1865). It appears that Duncan Paul Livingston married Bessie Anderson whose mother was Flora McColl/Anderson, Elizabeth McColl's sister. After decades of looking at these names in black and white lists. it is wonderful to put some "meat on the bones" of these individuals. I would love to know more about them.

My grandfather's younger brother was christened Colin Livingston McCole. He died while a baby, but I assume the Livingston middle name could be from perhaps Duncan's mother's side, but I have no proof of that. We have notes to say that Mary Stewart was from Kilmore and Kilbride, that she was supposed to marry someone else(banns) but that she changed her mind and married Duncan who was supposed to be a piper. It is written that her family then cut her off. I beleve that they were married at Inverluss on Jura.

Heather Butler
Tasmania
heatherbell

Post by heatherbell »

Am Beothach Mollach wrote:I gather that there are plenty of Canadian Livingstones out there... Does anybody have any information about a Duncan Livingstone who wrote to the Oban Times from Darnia? Sarnia? in Canada in 1880, saying that he had been born at Greenfield, Cuil, Duror? I'm assuming he's the Duncan who was born at Cuil around 1829 and was my great-grandfather Hugh's younger brother. Any descendants online? As a very new forum member I'd be delighted to find some cousins!
Hi cousin (many times removed). I am a descendant of the "McColl girl" (Elizabeth 1829-1904) who married Hugh and had two sons Malcolm (1861) and Duncan Paul(1865). She also had two McColl brothers named Duncan and Paul in addition to Archibald and William. She also had sisters Flora, Jane and Anne. Her parents were Dunacn McColl and Mary Stewart and the family lived in Glasdrum, Appin. They are recorded in the 1841 Census as "McCale". Elzabeth's sister Flora's daughter Bessie married Duncan Paul Livingston. The four McColl brothers emigrated to Australia.