Nancy Ann Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmvleasa

Nancy Ann Livingston

Post by jmvleasa »

I'm looking for any information on my great-great-great grandmother Nancy Ann Livingston. I know she was married to John Utter Clink. My Great Grandmother was her grand-daughter Lenora Clink from michigan.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Nancy Ann Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi JMV,
We are distant cousins.
Nancy Livingston was born 1813 at Lord Selkirks, Red River Colony in then British North America. Her parents were Miles Livingston b.1775 and his second wife Janette Livingston both natives of Morvern Parish in highland Argyllshire according to the June 20th 1812 marriage record located in the Kilarrow parish, Isle of Islay, Scotland Parish records. Miles, Janette, and Miles son from his first marriage Donald Livingston abt. 1796-1862 and another Donald Livingstone born abt. 1786 a boatbuilder like Miles travelled a group of Northern Mull McLeans and some Islay folk and others aboard the Schooner Staffa which took them to Sligo, Ireland. THere Lord Selkirk had the Hudson Bay Company Vessel Robert Taylor waiting them and on June 24th 1812 the ship sailed with highlanders and some Irish folks for a Hudson Bay port and after that lengthy journey of a few weeks they then had to journey several hundred miles by small boat to the fork of the Red River where an earlier party of Selkirk's employees and the settlement leader Miles McDonnell were to have made some prepartions for the arriving settlers who eventually arrived in October of 1812. Miles and Janette Livingston had two children while at the settlement, your ancestor Nancy Livingston born 1813 and Hugh Livingston born 1814. Do to the conflict between the settlement and a rival fur trading company of the Hudson Bay Company, the first Red River Settlement was destroyed in JUne of 1815 and a large group of the settlers including Miles livingston and his family taken by fur traders canoes to Upper Canada (ONtario,Canada). Here your ancestor Miles Livingston and family was first settled around 1815 in York County, Etobicoke Township where a record indicates he found work with his trade as boatbuilder. In 1818 a son John Livingston in born Etobicoke Township, Upper Canada. In 1819 Miles Livingston petitions the Crown for land and receives a land in Esquesing Township, Halton County, Upper Canada and begins to establish a family farm in what the area of Esquesing Township called the Scotch Block. His son Daniel Livingston is born abt 1820 in Esquesing Township presumingly on his farm in the Scotch Block. Later for some reason Miles sells his farm altogether and by the 1842 Esquesing Township census is apparently residing with his youngest son Daniel Livingston at the town of Acton in Esquesing Township where Daniel Livingston resided for many years before heading off to Michigan by abt. 1875. The 1842 census for Esquesing Township lists old Miles as barrelmaker one of his many wood working skills he learned back in Scotland no doubt where there was whiskey business on the Isle of Islay.

Nancy Livingston has no surviving marriage record but is believed she married her husband John Utter Clink son of Stephen Clink and Christianna Utter of Erin Township, Wellington County, ONtario around the year 1833 or 1834. We know that John and Nancy Utter's first son was born abt. 1834. He was David Livingston Clink. He left Ontario Canada in the 1850's for California. John and Nancy had a large family Your ancestor Hugh Livingston was in the middle I guess with Hugh being born abt. March of 1850 according to one census record. I am descended from one of the youngest sons George Ira Clink born abt. 1857. The family migrated from Esquesing Township, Halton County to Bosanquet Township, Lambton County, Ontario near Lake Huron and from there three or four sons of John and Nancy ended up in Michigan by abt. 1869/1870. My ancestor George Ira Clink b.1857 and his older brother Daniel Livingston Clink (b. abt. 1835) were briefly in Michigan but decided upon settling in Western Canada. Most of the other brothers and some sisters ended up in Michigan including some that settled in Lynn Township, St. Clair COunty Michigan which is close to Lake Huron on the American side and not that far from Lambton County, Ontario where some of our Clinks had lived prior to 1870. Off the top of my head in Lynn Township in the 1870's there was Hugh Livingston Clink your ancestor and his wife CatherinE Clink parents of your Lenora Clink, JOhn Utter Clink a lawyer if I am not mistaken and wife and family, a sister that married a Green, and before his death in 1887 their father by then a widower John Utter Clink. John Utter Clink and I think your ancestor Hugh Livingston Clink his son are both buried in Lynn Township cemetery, in Lynn Township, St. Clair County. I think I was in contact with one of the Green-Clink family descendants who lived near the cemetery a while ago now. John Utter Clink's stone must have been done sometime after his death because they put down the wrong birth date of 1815 I think. He was actually born in Albany County, New York State in 1810 the son of Stephen Clink and Christianna Utter.

It is not known precisely what happened to old John Utter Clink's wife Nancy Livingston 1813-1880? It was suggested that she died in 1880 back in Bosanquet Township Lambton County Ontario and buried in Arkona Cemtery there but there is no stone there just her brother John Livingstons. All that we really know is in the 1880 U.S Census in Lynn Township, St. Clair County Michigan, old John Utter Clink is residing in Lynn Township with his sons JOhn Livingston Clink and Hugh Livingston Clink. So to be entirely honest no one really knows if she died in Bosanquet Township, Lambton County or on the American side of Lake Huron in Lynn Township, St. Clair County. But if so then why is her husband John UTter Clink buried alone at least according to the Lynn Township Cemtery marker. So I will stick the assumption of earlier research that she died in Bosanquet Township, Lambton County around 1880.

This is as I said off the top of my head. I will look up some of info I have from a detailed Livingston/Clink family tree later if it is of interest to you. The Clinks or Klincks as originally spelt came to Dutchess County, New York State in the 1750's and two Klinck kin Jacob Klinck his wife Margaretha Fichter and famliy and Johannes Georg Klinck b. abt. 1737 all of Plattenhardt, Wuerttemburg near present day Stuttgardt in southern Germany took up farming as tenants in a small German farming community near present day Poughkeepie and Rhinebeck, Dutchess County New York State. Later your ancestor Johannes Georg Klinck and his second wife Phoebe Thornton originally of Rhode Island and family settled in the 1780's in the Coeymans Township, Albany County, Ny where in 1786 John Utter Clink's father Stephen Clink 1786-1871 was born. Stephen Clink married Christianna Utter of Coeysmans in neighbouring Bethlehem Township, Albany County in 1809 and in 1810 on their across New York State to Canada John Utter Clink their eldest child was born. In 1811 Stephen Clink and his wife Christianna Utter settle in Stoney Creek, Saltfleet Township, Upper Canada (later Ontario Canada) where Christiannas father John Utter is living on farm land owned by his older brother Dr. David Palmer Utter both former residents of Coeymans Township, ALbany County, NY. In 1819, Stephen Clink petitions the crown for a land grant of his own and receives land firstly in Esquesing Township in Silver Creek area which is rejected as being rocky marshy and unsuitable for farming. He subsequently receives a replacement grant in nearby Erin Township, Wellington County, Upper Canada (Ontario, Canada)

Hope this answers some questions regarding your ancestors Nancy Livingston and her husband John Utter Clink.

regards,

Donald
jmvleasa

Post by jmvleasa »

Thanks alot for the information. Most of the Clinks are buried in the Lynn township cemetary. I have been there many times, one of my childhood memories is of going to the cemetary on Memorial Day with my Great Grandparents Ken and Lenora (Clink) Collins. It happens that both sides of my family are buried there The Clinks on one side of teh road and the Collins on the other side. I would like as much information as you are willing to share. It has always been a bit of a dead end as everyone had passed on when I became interested in the family history. Thanks again, Jay
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jay,

Did anyone save Lenora's old family photos from her father Hugh Livingston's Clink's family in the 1800s I wonder? He likely had a photo of Nancy Livingston and her husband John Utter Clink in his possession at the time of his death in the early 1900's. When did Lenora pass away? Are there no Clink descendants of Hugh Livingston Clink or his older brother lawyer John Livingston Clink in Lynn Township any more? Im not sure if John Livingston Clink's family stayed in Lynn Township. I think they might have left. Only Hugh Livington Clink and his father JOhn U. Clink and some of Hugh family are buried I think but I could be wrong on that. Note that the last census U.S Census 1880 Michigan St. Clair County Lynn Township which old John Utter Clink appears refers to him by mistake as John Hugh Clink but that is a mistake. I think he was residing with son Hugh or John at the time. All the family info indicates he was John Utter Clink named after his grandfather on his mother Christianna Utter's side of the family John Utter of Stoney Creek, Saltfleet Township, ONtario formerly of Coeymans Township, Albany County, New York State.

regards,

Donald
jmvleasa

Post by jmvleasa »

My cousin got the family bible when my great uncle (Lenoras son) passed away. I'll check and see if she has any of the old photos. If I am able to get some would you like some copies of them? I know Lenora died in June of 1988, I will have to double check on the exact date. I remember that because my wife was expecting our first child and the doctor would not let her travel back to Michigan for the funeral.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jay,

Actually I have a photo of Nancy Livingston and her husband John Clink which I will eventually post on Maclea Livingstone Society Gallery. I was hoping that you going through your the old photos that your kin has you might be able to find another so that could verify that the old copy of the photo I have is infact old Nancy Livingston and her husband John U. Clink. I was told by a family historian that is was but he passed away before I could get more details regarding the origin of the photo. I put it up on the Maclea Livingstone Society Gallery next week sometime and you can see if it rings any bells. It seems quite possible that someone in that family of Hugh Livingston Clink in Lynn Township may have inherited a photo of old John Utter Clink and his wife Nancy Livingston especially since old JOhn U Clink died in Lynn Township in 1887. He presumingly had a few family photos of his own to pass on to his son Hugh that may have if luck has it stayed in the family. What are odds of them still being around today? Sadly most of the old 19th century family photos get put in the trash or if they do manage to survive into the modern age no one to put a name on the back of the photo and they become lost forgotten relatives.

regards,

Donald
jmvleasa

Post by jmvleasa »

I found out that my cousin has some letters that were written to Nancy from her son Hugh and she is checking to see if she has any pictures of Nancy. She doesn't think that she does but she has some things that she hasn't gone through yet that she received after her father passed away.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jay,

Thats incredible that those letters still exist. Interesting to see the date and if there is any indication where Nancy was residing at the time of the letters.
regards,

Donald