Misc.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Misc.

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle and John,

It is great that we will be able to utilize that Mull genealogy resource that has info pertaining to some Mull Livingstones/Livingstons families. Thats great John.

While we are on this subject, I want to mention that we need to look at encouraging some brief biographical updates for the Maclea Livingstone dna site as I think there are about 5 Livingstons in the Parker Livingston Group which havent submitted bios including the most recent Livingston participant. I would encourage their bios to be as in the case of the other project bios to be one short paragraph and mentioning the name of their ancestor, when they left Scotland, their Western Argyll origins i.e.. Mull etc. if they know about that. John if you have not submitted a brief bio of your ancestor and Livingston origins to Andrew and Kyle of the DnA project with your dna project number it would be great if you could as it be included with my cousins Livingston family info and other participants of our group the Parker Livingstone group. At last check there are 17 Livingstons and a Parker connected to a Livingston family in this group. It would be great Kyle if we could encourage everyone to submit a brief, summarized account of their Livingston ancestral origins to you and Andrew for the Livingston dna information site. I also noticed one that is listed does not mention their Mull family origin which stated in a 1900 family obituary of the pioneer Livingstone's son. If any of these families has a Mull or highland Argyllshire connection of any sorts from family info I would encourage them to include it as I have done with the bio with my own Livingston family. Almost all the Livingstons have either proven or suspected connections to Western Argyllshire and in the case of two who origins are with Livingston ancestor in 18th or 19th century Perthshire, the dna results linking them with the rest in the project with Argyllshire Livingston origins makes me almost certain that their Perthshire Livngston ancestors were likely connected to an old Argyllshire maclea Livingston family like the others in this Parker Livingston group. I would further state that many that match up with this Parker Livingstone group over the last 7 years or so and those in the future will in many cases have a Mull or Morvern Argyllshire origin. There is no reason however why there ancestors could not have lived elsewhere in Western Argyllshire however as Maclea Livingstones dispersed to different locations over the centuries. It is worth noting that these Mull and Morvern Livingston families whose descendants left Mull and Morvern in the 19th century likely lived somewhere else a few centuries earlier I suspect as Mull and Morvern is not the ancestral area of the ancestors of those became the Maclea Livingstones.

Donald Livingstone of Savary's kin in the 19th century for example, indicated that their Morvern Livingstone ancestors arrived there from Benderloch around the year 1600, and were of the Achnacree Macleas. Who knows for certain if that is correct or just family mythology but it is interesting that the Achnacree Macleas were in conflict with some of the Campbells in the latter part of the 1500's and at one point were nearly wiped out by them, so certainly the motivation to resettle may have been there among the remaining Macleas in this area to try and resettle in the Morvern area. Some the Campbells clearly held at least the Bachuil Macleas with some respect in the 16th century as indicated in the Bond that was established between them which acknowledged the Bachuil Macleas ancient title through St. Molaug, but that respect may not have extended to all branches and groups of Macleas in Western Argyll in the 16th century or with all branches of the Campbell family in Western Argyll. As in the case of other clans in the highlands, the Campbells had become the most powerful clan in Argyllshire as the McDougalls, McDonalds and Stewarts of Appin lost their power in the highlands and with that the Campbells preyed upon the weaker clans, laying claim to their lands, becoming their landlords and certainly in some cases pushing them out of their centuries old territory and homeland. Whatever bond may have been forged between the Bachuil Macleas and the Campbells as with other clans at the time, in the earlier part of the 16th century did not prevent them from helping themselves to Bachuil ancestral lands in the Appin area and Lismore and elsewhere in Western Argyll.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

jmlivingstone wrote: I had this info stored on Skydrive, I've tried sending a few other links, & this appears to be the format Skydrive uses to send links, or maybe it's just me, if you right click on the link logo, then click open, it should operate.
Could just be my Mac has difficulty with those kind of files. I'll poke around.

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:would be great Kyle if we could encourage everyone to submit a brief, summarized account of their Livingston ancestral origins to you and Andrew for the Livingston dna information site.
Can you send me an email reminder, Donald, and I'll do that?

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I've got a brief write up attached, but it is way out of date, in fact, the start of it is actually no where near to the facts now known, so yes, it most definitely requires updating asap. My number on FTDNA is 127272.

I have already started to update my bio on Wikispaces, unfortunately, there does not appear to be much interest from other members, so far at least, in making use of this site, which is a pity. Having said that, I've not done anything on it since Feb., hopefully now I'm home, I'll get more time to get things sorted out,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Actually the ones that have been done for the Maclea Livingstone dna project are brief like in a 3 or 4 sentence summary at the most because there are 17 Livingstons and one Parker alone in our group along with other dna groups connected to Clan maclea Livingstone. It just to include the very basic ancestral details such as in your case that your ancestor Angus Livingstone b. abt. 1775 probably at Shiaba, Ross of Mull, Chelsea Pensioner, husband of Margaret McPhail. Later resided at nearby Uragaig? Colonsay circa 1841. Something along those lines just so people can get a quick sense of your argyll Livingstone origins and the name of the ancestor.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I think you misunderstood what I meant, I've got a short version on the DNA project, which requires updating, as the location for Angus & Margaret is wrong. I think it says Kinlochspelvie area, this came from family members, but was later proven not to be their place of origin.
Possibly in more recent times, some of the family lived near Kinlochspelvie, but not in the early 1800's, & not Angus & Margaret.

I'm also working on putting a longer more detailed version on the Wikispaces site, but what with getting ready to come home etc., I have not made a lot of progress as yet, still, I only started around February,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
I'm sorry about that. Yours was likely there and I missed it. I noticed I think 12 Livingstons and a Parker with short bits on their ancestral origins in Scotland, but I think there should be ideally 5 more Livingstons. I am hoping that we can eventually identify our Celtic DNA subgroup within R1b P-312. I thought it had been identified but Kyle tells me no. I notice that there are claims by some out there that Pict dna can be identified but others are of the view that with dna testing it is imposible to distinquish between ancient Scottish celts and Picts. I have an old book on the Picts in which author is of the view that the Picts adopted the language of the older Bronze age inhabitants of Scotland after they arrived on the scene. There is alot of speculation about the Picts because they left behind little evidence of a written language, though some locations in Scotland appeared to have names of Pict origin. One ancient account includes the kingdom of Picts in Argyl and there is reason to believe that were at one point in the South west of Scotland and later pushed out by the Dalriada from Ireland who also converted them to Christianity. But there is very little evidence in terms of Pict stone carvings that they were in Argyll. I am hoping we can reach the next step and identify you and the rest of the Parker Livingston group with a sub group characteristic of Celt, Pict or norse origins. I noticed that some of the Fergusons in their project were also working on identifying a specific sub group of those Ferguson which closely match our Parker Livingststone group in the DNA Project. I was going to check with Kyle regarding the Ferguson dna group discussion of the Ferguson and Parker Livingstone group I saw recently. ALot of this dna stuff is quite complex to me.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

The Scottish newspapers are reporting today that Mull has had to import at least 50,000 gallons of water from the mainland, due to high usage by a large influx of tourists in the past two weeks,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Sorry I did not see your message in Misc. Thats a lot of thirsty tourists. I wonder if they drank up all the whiskey supply as well. Imagine Mull would be a popular tourist destination. Lot of crofters from Mull settled in Canada, United States and Australia and some of their descendants no doubt make the effort to locate where their highland ancestors resided in Mull.

regards,

Donald