McLeas from Bute

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

McLeas from Bute

Post by jmlivingstone »

Kyle,

You are probably already aware of this, there appear to be quite a few Mcleas in the Greenock area, who moved from Bute, it might be worth having a look at the Watt Library/Museum site for further info,

John
Kyle MacLea

Re: McLeas from Bute

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks, John!

Interestingly, I did find a family of MacLeas from Greenock that do not match my family on the DNA level.

However, there may be quite a few others, and I have not explored the Greenock McLeas in any detail. I'll put it on my list--thanks for the idea!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: McLeas from Bute

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

We need to get more Macleays from this Ross and Cromarty group tested. You should also know that these Contin, Ross and Cromarty Macleays mentioned in literature on the Macleays likely are connected to a few Macleays that lived in neighbouring parts of Inverness County. I am now pretty certain these Inverness-shire Macleays that Sir Thomas Livingston is alluding to in the 1840's were actually Ross and Cromarty Macleays of the Contin variety some of whom resided in Inverness-shire with perhaps a family or two in the Fort William area known to Sir Thomas at that time. ANd even though he mentions a red and green tartan worn by our Maclea Livingstones I am pretty certain it is a group of Macleays he talking about and not the Western Argyllshire Macleas of Baron Coll Livingstone or his son whom became Baron in the mid 1840's after Colls death. I think he meant Inverness-shire in a generall sense and probably Ross and Cromarty which he did not mention and not Fort William in particular because there were very few macleays or highland Maclea Livington at Fort William itself residing there though some worked there from time to time probably. I am fairly familiar with that neck of the woods. That still begs the question why the Ross and Cromarty Macleays or some of them called Sir Thomas Livingston their Chief. I may be that it was the highland Macleays of Ross and Cromarty that had an alliance and family connection to the Linlithgo Livingston and fought with the Linlithgo Livingstons in 1715. THe author of the 1740 indicated that the Linlithgo Livingstons felt there was some connection or alliance with highlands Macleas but it could have been as Sir Thomas Livingston mentioned Macleays. Ross and Cromarty and Inverness is also considered to be in the Highlands so they would be also known as highland macleays by lowland Livingstons. Our alliances seem to have been highland based and isolated to local more powerful clans involved in the Jacobite movement such as McDougalls and Stuarts of APpin and subsequently as the McDougalls did not go out in 1745 with the Stuarts of Appin. More than likely our volunteers and conscripts in 1715 rebellion were led by Appin Stuarts leadership as in 1745.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Re: McLeays from Ross & Cromarty

Post by Kyle MacLea »

We have tested one or two, but we desperately need more, I fully agree!

Any Macleays, McLeays, Maclays, etc., from the North out there? Let us know, I can provide you with more information about the DNA project and why you might want to be tested!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com