Lanark County, Ontario Livingston Pioneer Settlers

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

In response to the economic depression which occurred following the Napoleonic Wars during the years 1815-1820 affecting the residents of Southern Scotland, efforts were made to relieve the misery of these families affected by settling them in Upper Canada. In 1820 groups of prospective settlers in lowland Scotland got together and formed a number of Emigration Societies with the objective of petitioning the government regarding settlement in Upper Canada and receiving land grants there. With the assistance of Lord Archibald Hamilton and others those who petitioned the colonial office in these Emigration Societies got a grant of land. The expense of the passage to the port of Quebec in Lower Canada was to be covered by the Societies at a cost of about 4 pounds per person. Each family was to receive one hundred acres with Government covering the cost of travelling from Quebec to the settlement point.

The ship 380 ton "David of London" sailed on May 19 1821 with 364 passengers from the the Counties of Lanark, Dunbarton, Stirling, Perthshire, Clackmanan and Linlithgo. On May 19, 1821 a letter of appreciation was written on behalf of the Emigration societies aboard the ship to Robert Lamond, Secretary of the Commitee of Emigration and signed by Emigration Society representatives, Samuel Stevenson, John Blair, David Young, Archibald Patterson and George Bremner. George Bremner Sr.was the representative of the Deanston by Doune Emigration Society located in the Scottish County of Perth and he arrived at Quebec on June 25th aboard the "David" with his family including his daughter Isabella Bremner and her husband William Livingston (1799-1888) a native of Port of Monteith, Perthshire but likely descended from a family of Highland Argyllshire Livingston origin. Deanston by Doune in the District of Stirling but actually in the County of Perthshire was what is described a planned village created in 1785 for the workers of the Adelphi cotton mill in the area which employed the majority of the residents.

Upon reaching Quebec the final destination of George Bremner Sr. and his son in law William Livingston was to be Upper Canada and the newly created Lanark Settlement in Lanark County, Upper Canada which contained three townships, Lanark, Dalhousie and Ramsay. It was aptly named because so many of the settlers to this area were from Lanark County in Scotland. William Livingston received a land grant of 100 acres at Concession 8 Lot 9 East in Lanark Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada in 1821.

Interestingly he was actually one of several Scottish Livingstons who settled in Upper Canada during the period between 1818 and 1821 in the Perth or Lanark Military Settlements in Upper Canada.

Donald Livingston and his wife Janet McAra arrived at QUebec in 1818 from Dull Parish also in Perthshire, Scotland, aboard the Brig "Curlew" and ended up in Beckwith Township, in nearby Carlton County. A John Livingston located on Con. 6 Lot 13 w. Beckwith Township also apparently arrived in 1818 probably with Donald Livingston.

Also around 1821 three Livingston brothers said by kin to be sons of Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Mull,Argyllshire are known to have settled in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada (Ontario, Canada). They were Duncan Livingston b.1791,John Livingston b. 1792 and Alexander Livingston 1797-1840. Alexander Livingston I discovered is buried in the Highland Line Cemetery in Dalhousie Township, Lanark Township, Ontario and his now broken tombstone states that he is was a native of Mull. Given the sorry state of this pioneer Livingston tombstone of Lanark Settlement in Dalhousie Township one would hope that a descendant someday soon makes some effort to protect the stone from further damage.

Interestingly their father Duncan Livingston was suggested to be an Uncle of Dr. David Livingstone but I am not certain of this. There is however curioiusly some information indicating that Dr. Livingstone's older brother JOhn Livingstone 1811-1899 who lived in Lanark Township, Lanark County for several years in the 1840's probably knew Duncan, John and Alexander of Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada and considered them to be his cousins, though he does not mention the actual family connection regretably. Whether they were sons of an Uncle of Dr. Livingstone and his brother John or not John seems to have believed these highland Livingston brothers apparently of Lettermore, Mull origin as were his eldest Uncle John and his Aunt Mary (Mrs. John Lawrie) were of some family connection. Perhaps Duncan, John and Alexander Livingston were residing in the Blantyre or neighhbouring Glasgow, Lanarkshire area as a number of Highland Argyllshire Livingston were around 1820/1821 and decided to migrate from Lanarkshire, Scotland to the Lanark Settlement in Upper Canada. It is known that members of a Glasgow, Lanarkshire, based Emigration Society were among the group that first settled Dalhousie Township. It would be interesting to see if any passenger lists or original records exist for the Lanark Settlement with info on those from Lanarkshire or Western Scotland who were among those granted land around 1821 in Dalhousie Township. At some point I will try and track an original list from 1821 or thereabouts for Scottish settlers settling Dalhousie and any other details I might be able to gather on them.

More to follow later...
livingstoneancestry

Re: Lanark County, Ontario Livingston Pioneer Settlers

Post by livingstoneancestry »

thank you so much for the information. I'm directly related to William Livingstone and Isabella Bremner from Lanark County, Ontario. I want to get up there one of these days to see the Admaston Twp Cemetery, where several of them are buried. I have pictures of some of their tombstones from a Canadian tombstone cemetery listing. There's suppose to be a couple of small books regarding the "founding families" of that area

Suzanne

ps, just as a side note, William and Isabella brought Isabella's son from a prior marriage with them, his name was Hugh Livingston (same name but not blood related of course). I'd have to check my family tree or link I have regarding his last name
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Suzanne,

It is clear that the Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario Livingstons who were born in Mull were not the only Argyllshire Livingtons to settle in Lanark County. Though a few of the Livingstons including your ancestor William Livingston originated from Perthshire at the time of his coming to Lanark County the DNA results clearly support the notion that his ancestors were a generation or more earlier were highland Livingstons who likely migrated to Perthshire to find work as many did beginning in the 1700`s. Perthshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire had cotton mills that employed weavers and others of highland origin who had to come to the lowlands looking for employment. I strongly suspect that William`s father or grandfather was of highland Argyllshire origin and came to Perthshire sometime in the 1700`s. Do you know where William Livingston is buried. Is it in Refrew County, Ontario

I am trying to get more imigration and settlement info on the highland Livingston family that settled in Dalhousie Township. This was three sons Alexander, Duncan, John and a sister Catharine (Mrs Duncan Stewart. I am fortunate to have some old research material on them that was donated to me and am working with that however I am now going to go into the original Canadian land petitions from the 1820`s and see if any more info can be determined. I think I already have pretty much all there is on ALexander, Catharine, Duncan and John Livingston who were said to have the children of Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Kilninian Parish, Mull, Argyllshire but Id like to make certain of that by looking at the original Ontario records. I looked at land documents that were at Volume 420 pertaining to Livingston loyalist from the States who came up to Canada before 1800. I know realize that the Dalhousie Township Livingston info for at least two of the brothers is apparently located on the subsequent Volume 421. A stupid mistake and a waste of time of my part, but these things happen. I will check sometime soon for Lanark County Livingston on Volume 421. i dont expect there to be any information that I dont already on have on the Lanark County Ontario Livingstons that settled in the early 1820`s in Lanark County, Ontario but I like to be certain. WHile we know quite a bit about your ancestor WIlliam Livingston and his arrival in Lanark County ontario with WIlliam Bremner in a Perthshire emigration society, there is much that I do not know about the Dalhousie Livingstons who arrived about 1820 or 1821. I know from Alexanders tombstone and family information that they indeed were born in Mull, Argyllshire but dont know whether or not they living in Glasgow at the time and came over with a Glasgow emigration group or not or directly from Western Argyllshire. I am hoping to get more details some of which may be in the Archives in Scotland or England and not in Canada.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
livingstoneancestry

Post by livingstoneancestry »

Hi Donald

As far as I know William Livingston(e) is buried in Renfrew County Ontario. Odd part is when I do a search on one of a couple of cemetery sites, that includes photos of the tombstones, his isnt shown, but Isabella's is. According to my family tree info William died in Scotch Brush, Renfrew Co, Ontario. I'm hoping one of these days to take a trip up to the Renfrew Ontario area. Also according to the family tree, William's father, Neil, possibly died in Ayreshire Scotland, although not positive and no known year. I know according to the DNA testing we're closed connected to a family that was from the Ft William area.

Most of the info I have is from various sites online, like Ancestry, and the LDS Family Search and Rootsweb. I keep trying to connect with distant family members who may have any additional information

Suzanne
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Suzanne,
It may be that old William is buried with Isabella. Some of these pioneer Livingstone stones are not in the best shape and many no doubt are missing. The stone of ALexander Livingston who died in 1840 buried in the old Highland Line Cemetery, Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Ontario case in point. This one is also online.There is a stone still legible which states that he was a native of Mull, Argyllshire which verifies what a descendant of Dalhousie Livingstons indicated years ago. Unfortunately it is by this time lying flat on the ground which happens to most old neglected gravestones with time. It has been in that position no doubt for some time and it is surprising given its age and situation that it is still as legible as it is. It is however now in pieces and apparently there are no longer any direct descendants of Alexander Livingston in the area maintaining the gravesite of their pioneer ancestor. I did not see any info on the gravestone for his wife Mary Currie, but she is listed in the 1851/1852 Census living on their farm with son Duncan Livingston, so she must have some years after her husband and i would presume she would have been buried with her husband in that cemetery.

You may rest assured the results of the DNA tests link you with a group of several Livingstones of highland Western Argyllshire origin whose ancestors resided in parishes in Mull and adjacent areas of Western Argyll in the 18th century though you may not neccesarily be closely related. Certainly the indicators are there that you share an ancestor connection and that your Livingston ancestors were definite of the highland Livingston variety like those of Western Argyllshire though your earliest info traces them to Perthshire.
I should point out that Fort William in neighbouring Inverness was a departure point for settlers who resided in Inverness and some from Western Argyll. It should be noted that while a few Livingstons did reside and work at Fort William prior to 1800 I am quite certain that most of those few were of neighbouring Western Argyllshire family origin which was our clan's ancestral homeland. A number of highlanders left Scotland via the port at Fort William in INverness or Tobermory in Mull Argyllshire for the port of Quebec in Lower Canada and Pictou in Nova Scotia in the early 1800's. I think for some if not all the Livingstons claiming an origin from FOrt William, Inverness whose ancestors settled in Canada it would have been perhaps the port where their ancestors embarked from Scotland and not their ancestral origin point. A great many Scots from the highlands made their way to Canada via Fort William but most did not live at Fort William. Judging from list of ships I was looking at it was great a busy port. Of course your ancestor William Livingston and wife Isabella left on the David of London via the Port of Greenock. (See the account of a passenger of the David of London from the May of 1821 voyage that forum participant John Livingstone (JmLivingstone) recently posted on our forum at the Dalhousie Livington posting. It is very interesting.)

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Wanda,
You might find this of interest as it pertains to William Livingston and Isabella Bremner.
Canadian Livingstone wrote:Lanark County, Ontario Livingston Pioneer Settlers

In response to the economic depression which occurred following the Napoleonic Wars during the years 1815-1820 affecting the residents of Southern Scotland, efforts were made to relieve the misery of these families affected by settling them in Upper Canada. In 1820 groups of prospective settlers in lowland Scotland got together and formed a number of Emigration Societies with the objective of petitioning the government regarding settlement in Upper Canada and receiving land grants there. With the assistance of Lord Archibald Hamilton and others those who petitioned the colonial office in these Emigration Societies got a grant of land. The expense of the passage to the port of Quebec in Lower Canada was to be covered by the Societies at a cost of about 4 pounds per person. Each family was to receive one hundred acres with Government covering the cost of travelling from Quebec to the settlement point.

The ship 380 ton "David of London" sailed on May 19 1821 with 364 passengers from the the Counties of Lanark, Dunbarton, Stirling, Perthshire, Clackmanan and Linlithgo. On May 19, 1821 a letter of appreciation was written on behalf of the Emigration societies aboard the ship to Robert Lamond, Secretary of the Commitee of Emigration and signed by Emigration Society representatives, Samuel Stevenson, John Blair, David Young, Archibald Patterson and George Bremner. George Bremner Sr.was the representative of the Deanston by Doune Emigration Society located in the Scottish County of Perth and he arrived at Quebec on June 25th aboard the "David" with his family including his daughter Isabella Bremner and her husband William Livingston (1799-1888) a native of Port of Monteith, Perthshire but likely descended from a family of Highland Argyllshire Livingston origin. Deanston by Doune in the District of Stirling but actually in the County of Perthshire was what is described a planned village created in 1785 for the workers of the Adelphi cotton mill in the area which employed the majority of the residents.

Upon reaching Quebec the final destination of George Bremner Sr. and his son in law William Livingston was to be Upper Canada and the newly created Lanark Settlement in Lanark County, Upper Canada which contained three townships, Lanark, Dalhousie and Ramsay. It was aptly named because so many of the settlers to this area were from Lanark County in Scotland. William Livingston received a land grant of 100 acres at Concession 8 Lot 9 East in Lanark Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada in 1821.

Interestingly he was actually one of several Scottish Livingstons who settled in Upper Canada during the period between 1818 and 1821 in the Perth or Lanark Military Settlements in Upper Canada.

Donald Livingston and his wife Janet McAra arrived at QUebec in 1818 from Dull Parish also in Perthshire, Scotland, aboard the Brig "Curlew" and ended up in Beckwith Township, Lanark County. A John Livingston located on Con. 6 Lot 13 w. Beckwith Township also apparently arrived in 1818 probably with Donald Livingston.

Also around 1821 three Livingston brothers said by kin to be sons of Donald Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Mull,Argyllshire are known to have settled in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada (Ontario, Canada). They were Duncan Livingston b.1791,John Livingston b. 1792 and Alexander Livingston 1797-1840. Alexander Livingston I discovered is buried in the Highland Line Cemetery in Dalhousie Township, Lanark Township, Ontario and his now broken tombstone states that he is was a native of Mull. Given the sorry state of this pioneer Livingston tombstone of Lanark Settlement in Dalhousie Township one would hope that a descendant someday soon makes some effort to protect the stone from further damage.

Interestingly their father Donald Livingston was suggested to be an Uncle of Dr. David Livingstone but I am not certain of this. There is however curioiusly some information indicating that Dr. Livingstone's older brother JOhn Livingstone 1811-1899 who lived in Lanark Township, Lanark County for several years in the 1840's probably knew Duncan, John and Alexander of Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada and considered them to be his cousins, though he does not mention the actual family connection regretably. Whether they were sons of an Uncle of Dr. Livingstone and his brother John or not John seems to have believed these highland Livingston brothers apparently of Lettermore, Mull origin as were his eldest Uncle John and his Aunt Mary (Mrs. John Lawrie) were of some family connection. Perhaps Duncan, John and Alexander Livingston were residing in the Blantyre or neighhbouring Glasgow, Lanarkshire area as a number of Highland Argyllshire Livingston were around 1820/1821 and decided to migrate from Lanarkshire, Scotland to the Lanark Settlement in Upper Canada. It is known that members of a Glasgow, Lanarkshire, based Emigration Society were among the group that first settled Dalhousie Township. It would be interesting to see if any passenger lists or original records exist for the Lanark Settlement with info on those from Lanarkshire or Western Scotland who were among those granted land around 1821 in Dalhousie Township. At some point I will try and track an original list from 1821 or thereabouts for Scottish settlers settling Dalhousie and any other details I might be able to gather on them.

More to follow later...