Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Edith,

There is not 19th century connection between the Listowel family related to Dr. Livingstone's older brother and your Livingston family and their 19th century family back in Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland and no family info in Scotland of any family connection in the late 1700's and early 1800's in Blantyre between your Lanarkshire livingston familiy and theirs and the records from that period at least I can confirm that they are correct on that. Before the 1770's in Scotland I cannot say for certain which Scottish Livingston familie might be related distantly or otherwise with Dr. Livingstone's Livingston kin prior to the 1770's in Scotland without a Y Chromosome test. A few Livingstons so far out of many in the familiytreedna project are proving to have an ancestral connection with Dr. Livingston's ancestral line perhaps in the 1600's, but only a small few of those tested. One way or another the test would at the very least rule out the possibility of the two Lanarkshire families being related and more importantly I should think identify the Y chromosome markers of your Livingston tested and which Livingstons if any are his closest matches. So if not related in some way to Dr. Livingstone's ancestral line then what other Livingston familiy group do they match with or is your Livingstone line a family line of which no one before has been tested with famiytreedna. You never quite now what the results will be or prove until the results are available. It is I think worthwhile finding out what other Livingston families out there in the world you are most closely related to which is one of the reasons why some folks do the Y chromosome DNA test with familytreedna.

regards,

Donald.
RLivingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

I originally thought these people were also my people but I'm doubting it now, not only because of the difference in name
spelling but their history doesn't sound right for my family. Just a hunch.

I currently have an FOIA application in place but it seems like its taking forever. Hope to find out more info on my great
grandfather William Livingstone, def with the "e". At this point, I'm not even sure where he was from, although I think he
immigrated from Scotland with his parents to Canada. Who knows. :(
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

RI Livingston

William Livingston sometimes with an "e" only had 2 children that were male. My grandfather Peter had 9 children. My grandmother died when she was 45. My grandfather lived his whole life in Manitoba. One of my grandfather's sons decided to always use the "e" My grandfather's 1/2 brother became a doctor and moved to Ontario. He always used an "e". The doctor had I believe 4 children. My Aunts and Uncles spread out everywhere.

Have you done a dna test?? What do you know about your Livingstone family? Do you know where they lived? You are lucky all Canadian Censuses are free online, with military records and other useful documents. A lot of them contain Occupations if you know what they did for a living. https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Edith