Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Yes on one of the East Kilbride birth records I also noticed that Peter Livingston married to Helen Young was oddly enough referred to as Patrick Livingston and I believe it is the same person. Certainly the age range and birth year of the children and the timing of the marriage would support that oppinion. I would guess that this Peter or Patrick Livingston was born sometime between 1770 and 1780 either in Lanarkshire or an highland Argyllshire migrant worker who came to work in the mills of Lanarkshire in the 1790's. I am reasonably certain that at that time late 1700's beginning of the 1800's there was just Peter/Patrick Livingston in Kirkton Village, East Kilbride so it makes things a little easier to deduce.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,

I had a little bit of luck. Found Peter Livingston's father's death record also verifying the name of the deceased Peter Livingston's father and mother. So to my amazement we have established through checking the records that you have at least four Peter Livingstons in your Livingston family line. Thats really interesting. Dont see that too often though we have had a couple of people who had four or five generations of Donald Livingstons in their family contact the forum.

Peter Livingston (b. December of 1805 at Kirkton, East Kilbride parish, Lanarkshire) according to his death record died January 5th 1858 in Kirkton, East Kilbride Parish, Lanarkshire age 52 years. Parent are recorded in his death records as being the same as his birth/baptismal entry: Peter Livingston and Helen Young. It is also noted that the father of the deceased also deceased was also a Handloom Weaver who we know also lived at Kirkton Village in East Kilbride. This record then verifies that the Patrick Livingston that married Helen Young in 1798 in East Kilbride Parish was infact actually Peter Livingston who in other reccords we have come across was married to Helen Young. So your Documented Livingston family line so far as we know it:
(Work In Progress)
1. Peter (Patrick) Livingston married Helen Young Feb. 18,1798 in East Kilbride Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland
2. Peter Livingston b. December 29 1805 baptised January 1806 died Jan. 5 1858 East Kilbride married Barbara Bright August 28, 1827 Kirkton, East Kilbride, Lanarkshire
3.Peter Livingston b. May 24,1830 Kirkton, East Kilbride d. March 5, 1909 Baden, Wilmott Twp. Waterloo County Ontario married Janet Riddel Nov. 12,1853 Kirkton, East Kilbride, Lanarkshire (left for Canada 1854 or 1855)
4. William Livingston b. March 31,1866 in Ontario, Canada m. (First WIfe) Maggie Fisher Dec. 17, 1891 in Huron County,Ontario
5. Peter Riddel Livingston b.Nov. 18 1894 d. 1896 m Alva Hazel Kindry 1895-1940

Your ancestor Peter Livingston 1830-1909 and his wife Janet Riddel as well as his brother James Livingston M.P. 1838-1920 and his wife Louise Sophia Lierch are all buried in the Fairmount Cemetery in Baden, Wilmott Township, Waterloo County, Ontario. Their parents were Peter Livingston 1805-1858 Hand Loom Weaver and Barbara Bright of Kirkton, East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Kyle

Here is a photogallery for Castle Kilbride...not sure that you found it.

http://www.castlekilbride.ca/what-gallery.shtml

Barry
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Beautiful!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,

Although I cant trace your Livingston family line any further than Peter Livingston Kirkton, East Kilbride weaver and his Helen Young at the beginning of the nineteenth century and dont know precisely where he was born, it is my sense that he may be related to curious number of Peter Livingstons and their Livingston kin that resided in the City of Glasgow, Lanarkshire in the 1700's. These were the closest Peter Livingstons lving near East Kilbride in the 1700's and the apparent fixation with the name Peter Livingston among these 18th century Glasgow city Livingstons seem to mirror that of your later Livingstons in East Kilbride. Peter Livingston perhaps was the name of an important ancestor that the Livingstons in the Glasgow and East Kilbride area shared, but that is just speculation on my part. There was a Peter Livingston residing in the Glasgow City as far back as the early 1700's so who knows there could be a connection to your family in East Kilbride, but no one really knows? Where your Livingston resided before 1798 is really anyones guess but there is no evidence that they are of highland Argyllshire Livingston origin so far. Lanarkshire is as far as the documented evidence trail leads us. The information tells us that your ancestor Peter Livington's father and grandfather were both Peter Livingstons as well and both had been Hand Loom Weavers residing in Kirkton, East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland in the first part of the 1800's. East Kilbride is about 12 miles south of Glasgow.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,

1879 Perth County, Ontario Farmers Atlas

Peter Livingston Millbank, Mornington Township, Perth County, Ontario Flax Manufacturer
Arrived in Canada 1855

Also in Mornington Township at the time of the 1881 Census. So he must left Perth County for Baden, Wilmott township, Waterloo County sometime between 1891 and 1901 when the census that year records him as a resident of Wilmott Township.

1871 Ontario Census
Listowel, Perth COunty North
John Livingston age 35 born Scotland Flax manufacturer
Peter Livingston age 39 born Scotland Farmer

The only census info then that I dont have for Peter yet is 1861 and 1891 for Ontario Canada. 1851 he is still in East Kilbride,Scotland

regards,

Donald
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

There aren't a lot of heirs of this family. We seem to be the largest family related to the Livingstons. My Uncle Harry put an "e" on his name saying that is was lost along the way, was he wrong. I did find out more on James Livingston's side long ago using Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Livi ... olitician). I will forward the information of the 135th anniversary to my cousin that might want to attend. I would love to go but I'm getting a new grandchild in July and the baby comes before genealogy. Still I would love to see the castle that I have read so much about. There are lots of pictures online of it and I did see a documentary on the castle.
So much of the information I had was wrong and I wish my father was still here to share this new information. My other ancestors are not as easy to trace as the Livingston side so I'm thrilled with what information I have received from you. Now I just have to get all this information written down so that the rest of the family has it.
I would love to find a picture of my grandmother Hazel kendry but these are lost in the dysfunctional family of the Livingstons.
I should look up Rebecca but I think I have already found a family connection just have to confirm it.

Thanks for making this so easy
Edith
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,

Did any of family, Aunts, UNcles keep a photo of Peter Livingston 1830-1909 of Baden, Waterloo Ontario and his wife Janet Riddel? Looks like after James Livington's grandaughter of her family sold the castle property to developers all the original furniture and contents went up for auction. Often old family photos get dumped in the trash if no one express an interest in them. Likely James and family had photos of Peter Livingston and Janet I should think. I am betting there were lots of family photos of the old Baden Livingstons at one time or another, but in more recent times they may have disappeared. Maybe the curator of the Castle might know of any surviving family photos that might include your ancestor Peter Livingston and his wife.

regards,

Donald
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

Thanks Donald
You have been so helpful and there should be pictures in the museum in Baden. I could probably get lots even in Listowel of John. People always seem to take pictures of wealthy families. Wonder why Peter Livingston Sr. never built himself a mansion, he had the money. They did buy back and get donations of the old furniture to refurnish the Castle when turning it into an historical site.
I know all about family pictures getting dumped almost. My husband's grandfather was a photographer, one of the first in BC Canada. There are a lot of pictures of the family from the early 1900's. A lot of his glass plates sat in a suitcase under one of the children's beds for years they were donated to Presentation House. They developed a few of the photos and they have now toured the world. Surprising that most of the people in the pictures were identified by relatives. Still a few are nobodies but at least the majority have names now. Got to wonder how many of these glass negatives where not so lucky and when people moved they just threw them out. Too bad the family home was turned into a restaurant before the family decided to see if it could be made an historical home. They reviewed the house but said there had been too many changes done to it.
When I worked for a recycling centre in a small town there were often old pictures in the stuff that came thru. We just sorted them but one of the workers asked us to save them all for her. She loved the old pictures and collected lots of them. I hope when she gets tired of them she just doesn't throw them out. Thinking back now these pictures should've been kept and sent to the museum for future use.

Edith
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,

Preserving and discovering old family photos I think is an important part of one's family history research. A precious photo of your ancestors definitely enhances the story and its great to get a sense of what they looked like. Sadly more often than not these old family photos without any identification on the back as to who they are, or not taken care of over the decades or forgotten and eventually end up in the garbage. Talking about glass negatives, got me thinking of the famous Civil War photographer Mathew Brady's glass plate negatives,some of which ended up years later being used in a greenhouse if you can imagine. I think someone eventually recognised what they were and managed to rescue them. Fortunately many of Brady's negatives did survive and his sometimes horrific battlefield photos of the War between the North and the South in the 1860's captured the reality of war as it probably had never been before. There may have been photos done during the Crimean War of the 1850's. Not sure what the earliest war photos were, but Brady's civil war photos were among the earliest I suspect in terms of photo journalism.

regards,

Donald