Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Greg Livingston

Re: Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Post by Greg Livingston »

Also reminds me of Fred Clatworthy. He was a photographer in Estes Park, Colorado in the late 1800's/early 1900's. He also used glass plates. When his old studio was being cleaned out they threw all of the glass plates in a dumpster. A friend rescued many of them and wished she could have saved more but just didn't have the room. She contacted his decendents and got permission to hand color new prints and sell them. Beautiful work.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Greg,
Many of these old 19th century family photos oddly do manage to survive but in an dusty shelve of some antique store, nameless photos long forgotten and discarded. I remember one situation where I sat down looking through an old 19th century photo album that had been in possession of a 100 yr old lady who had a died a short time earlier, but sadly there were no names included and she had no children or next of kin. I have managed to discover through inquiries with relatives located pictures of my fathers and mothers great-great grandfathers which was just luck and know where my great-great grandfathers and great-great-great grandfathers or at least most of them are buried. I dont have a photo of my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston who left Scotland in 1812, but I do have a photo of his daughter Nancy b. 1813 and her younger brother Daniel born around 1820. Its always worth while checking with relatives to see whether or not their family kept any old family photos. I was also fortunate that my Dad and Mom's family kept a good number of late 19th century family photos and they either had names on them or some relative knew who they were. Nice to know what the oldtimers looked like.

regards

Donald
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

Donald

I don't have pictures of my grandmother but I do have them of her father and mother, and both her brothers. This gives me a good idea how she looked. The picture of her father is a drawing but it still is a very good one. From talking to these distant cousins I know they were all very short. The one brother was a giant at 5'6". The cousin also posted a picture of an Aunt I never met when she was about 10. I am hoping still to get more information out of another cousin as soon as life slows down for them. One of my distant cousin's worked for the Latter Day Saints doing family research till she suffered from brain cancer. She sure saved me a lot of time on research too. I would love to met her one of these days soon. I know that her brain injury is very bad now as she couldn't remember when boxing day was.
I did met a great great Uncle of mine but now I have to figure out where he actually is in the family. Never thought of taking a picture of him at the time. I met most of my great great Aunts on my mother's side but their husbands were either dead or they had divorced them. I met my great grandmother several times but never thought that someone should ask her about her first husband till it was too late.
I have contacted Castle Kilbride and they were nice enough to forward my email address to the Livingston's still living in the area. If I get pictures of the family that would be great. Looks like my sister is interested in traveling there and to Winnipeg. I could get pictures of grave stones if nothing else.
We really need to get this family tree done for our later generations. So much of my family history is lost. I can't even find where or when my great grandmother came over the Canadian border from the states. I found her whole family and her future husband but not her or my grandfather. Just too many John Williams and I'm not even sure from what I did find that they used their real first names. Sounds like he was a horse thief. Oh well unlike my Uncle I have not given up, somebody somewhere knows something. I know that my step great grandfather's family had no idea of what happened to him. He died in Alberta but his family thought he still had to be somewhere in California.

Edith.
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Donald,

I have pictures of all four of my grandparents, 4 or 6 of my great grandparents and 4 of my great great grandparents. I do feel VERY lucky to have or at least have access to that many. Through my Great Grandma Livingston my 1st cousin 7 times removed is Merriweather Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame. One of my cousins has researched Mom's side of the family and traced it back to the 1700's. One of which was one of the Green Mountain Boys during both the French & Indian Wars and the War of Independence.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Greg,
I think if many people went far enough back they would be surprised to find ancestral connections to famous people. Somewhat distant, but I am direct descendant of Roger Williams,17th century theologian, author and founder of the Colony of Rhode Island. He actually was my eighth great grandfather or something like that. One of my more interesting genealogical projects. He was a significant historical figure in early colonial America and he was said to have been a major influence on Thomas Jefferson.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,
No doubt you will be interested that Castle Kilbride in Baden, Ontario Canada that you mentioned, originally a home of one your ancestor Peter Livingston's brother is hosting a exbit focusing on David Livingstone who was connected to the "other" Listowel Livingstone family of John Livingstone 1811-1899. I imagine there having been been two Lanarkshire Livingston families in Listowel over the years it has led to some confusion. Anyways the exibit is intitled "Dr. Livingstone I Presume". I hope to visit there sometime soon. It runs from March 2-August 31st. The easiest way to distinquish between the two Listowel Livington families is that one spelled the name Livingston and the other Livingstone and one came from Kilbride Lanarkshire and the other Blantyre Lanarkshire. THe family associated with the home at Castle Kilbride, Baden Ontario and Listowel were quite successful in flax business and Dr. Livingtone's brother John Livingstone of the "other" Livingstones connected to Listowel, ONtario was a successful merchant running a general store in that town. I know that your familiar with Castle Kilbride and are probably already aware of this David Livingstone exibit taking place there.
With the 200th aniversary of Dr. Livingstone's birthday rapidly approaching there are a number of events planned in honor of the good doctor's birthday which occurred on March 19, 1813 in Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

I would plan to go but we are paying for a wedding this fall. Life is just really busy right now.

My great great Grandfather Peter Livingston is buried on the Brother's castle estate. I believe even Peter's wife is buried there. Even though Peter was very well to do too, he and his wife moved in with his brother's family in his old age. Peter held land grants all the way to Saskatchewan and some with his son William my great Grandfather. A lot of Jame's and John lines of the family lives in the area. They were known as the flax kings and my granfather even played on a baseball team named the flax kings. Most of Peter's children headed west from the few records I found. A lot of the family still had Peter's wife's maiden name Riddel as their middle name just like my Grandfather so they were easy to find. They had a sister too Rebecca in Toronto I believe and it looks like Peter and Jennetta had another girl staying with them which I suspect was a relative.
Jennetta Kesso

View relationship to me
Birth1875inOntario
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,
That is interesting that your ancestor Peter Livingston and Janet Riddell were buried on the Castle Kilbride property. I think I knew they were buried in the Baden, Ontario area, but thats about it. You may of have told me that earlier and I forgot about it. So you really have an additional connection to Kilbride Castle and the Livingstons that lived there.
regards,
Donald
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

No additional contact with the Livingstons in that region but I did try. I contacted the castle admin and they said they would let them know I was looking for family information. Nobody has gotten back to me so wondering if they forgot to do it or ??. I figure I will get there one day and really take a look at the faces in my family. With 2 generations of mothers dying in our family nothing has been saved. My dad was offered a silver tea set when my grandfather died and he refused to go get it. My Uncle put the "e" on his last name, saying it was there before but he sure was wrong. I have contacted one of his grandchildren that informed me that he was an only child. An only child of 7 I guess??
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

Okay he found me a cousin from the other side of the blanket, my great grandfather William had 2 twins out of wedlock. I have also found another cousin from Rebecca Livingston's side so things are moving. The cousin from Rebecca's side has a family tree her parents took the time to draw out. I think I have enough info for a while and suffering info overload right now. My grandfather's 1/2 brother Frank used the (e) on the end of his name and became a doctor.