Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Peter Livingston & Jenneta Riddel

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Edith,
Glad to hear youve been able to locate some Livingston relatives and gather some more information for your research.

Some people went with Livingston and others Livingstone. For most I guess it was just their ancestor's preference and once established it was carried on. My highland Livingstones spelt it Livingston but in the early records it was often recorded as Livingstone. So like many of the old Livingstones there name was spelt both ways. Some families preferred one spelling to the other and that is clear in the records but many families after the mid 19th century that had spelt it Livingston found themselves adding the e spelling it as Dr. Livingstone did. Interestingly, Dr. Livingstone in his correspondence prior to 1855 spelt it Livingston. In any event after his first return to England from Africa in 1856 he always spells it with the e on the end like that of the Bachuil, Lismore Livingstones, the clan chief's family.
regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,
I am going tomorrow to Kilbride Castle in Baden, Ontario tomorrow for the official opening of the Dr. David Livingstone Exhibition there and will pass on there if I can the genealogy we have established here at the forum regarding Peter Livingston and his kin. No doubt they are familiar with the brother James Livingston of Kilbride Castle and will probably be interested in some or all that we discussed here. I know they are interested in my research regarding Dr. Livingstone's kin in Canada, but I will also mention your great-great grandfather Peter Livingston Jr. connected to the other Listowel, ONtario Livingston family not related to Dr. Livingstone and his family connection to brother James Livingston of East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland who prospered in Canada in Flax business and had a stately manor built for him in the Baden Ontario area called Castle Kilbride.

regards,

Donald
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

I did find out that my grandfather William Livingston was sued for breach of promise. Rachel Dougherty, Doherty had twins out of wedlock. Ellen May and James Milton (Moffat/Moffet) they took their step father's last name. Her brother was married to William's sister so that probably caused a lot of problems. Someone mentioned that William's brother Robert went off to join the circus and was not heard from again. There is a family vacation photo of him vacationing later with the family in the states though.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith,

Nice to hear from you again. How is your Livingston family research coming along since you last visited the Forum? One does come across in the records some interesting and complicated family situations in course of doing family research some times. I have gone though quite a few Livingston birth records over the years and the every once and while in the 19th century Church of Scotland parish records I come across the parish minister noting a birth and the parents and stating that the child was "illegitimate".

Bonnie Prince Charlie had no heir with his wife but there was a daughter Charlotte Stuart with his english mistress Clementina Walkinshaw but he became estranged with Clementina and her daughter. It was only years later prior to Bonnie Prince Charlies death that he reconciled with her, legitimized her, recognizing her as Charlotte Stuart Duchess of Albany. Charlotte unfortunately lived only a few years more than her father. The story however does not end there as Charlotte herself apparently had a few illegitimate children so it may be there are descendants of Bonnie Prince Charlie living today somewhere. There have been a few people over the years claiming to be descendants of exiled Stuart family through Bonnie Prince Charlie and Clementina Walkinshaw's daughter Charlotte.

I had a nice time visiting the Kilbride Livingstone family museum at Kilbride, Ontario in 2013 and meeting with kin of Dr. David Livingstone in Canada including a great-great granddaughter who has been living in Canada for a number of years now whom I met that day and and chatting with a great-nephew of Dr. Livingstone whom I know quite well. Her mother and the great nephew had earlier attended the official ceremony in Westminster Abbey in England honouring Dr. Livingstone on the 200th Anniversary of his birth in 1813 in Blantyre, Scotland. There is no doubt a lot of confusion between the Kilbride Livingstone family and Dr. Livingstone's brother's family as they both originated from Lanarkshire, Scotland and lived in Ontario, Canada in the 19th century, but there in no known family connection.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

It turns out that Barbara Bright BIRTH ABT 1811 • Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland DEATH 29 AUGUST 1875 • Listowel, Perth, Ontario, Canada came to Canada after the death of her husband Peter Livingston. Her husband Peter Livingston DEC 29 1805 • East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland DEATH JAN. 5 1858 • Kirkton, East Kilbride Parish, Lanarkshire was a weaver and wove linen. All their children came to Canada except the oldest that I can only find a baptismal date for. I found my great grandfather William Livingston's wife's family. The 4 girls in her mother's family were sent out to work as servants as young as 12. The last name of her mother was Wiffler. I know her father was Joseph Fisher but not who his parents were. I know that Joseph was part of the Fishers from Fisherville. Now I found out the information for William Livingston's (1866) wife is all wrong on the Waterloo generation site. The site has a lot of great information on my family Livingston just not William's wife. The birth, middle name and death belongs to a different Maggie Livingston. After getting my dna done I found out I still have relatives in Scotland. Looking at my dna I do believe that my family Livingston might've crossed over from Ireland many generations ago.

Weird things you learn. James Livingston (1838) after hearing Henry Ford speak in Waterloo tried manufacturing cars. He made 4 of them before deciding the automobile industry was not for him.
http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/index.php. Just do not use the information for William's wife Maggie.

Rebecca Livingston
1827–

Peter Livingston
1830–1909

John Livingstone
1833–1896

Barbara Janet McBride Livingston
1835–1893

James E. Livingston
1838–1920

Robert Livingstone
1840–1850

Rebecca Livingston
1841–1910

Alexander LIVINGSTON
1845–1902

William Livingston
1847–1917

Helen Livingston
1851–1928

Charles Livingstone, Livingston
1856–1859
Canadian Livingstone

HI Edith,

Thanks for the update on that family info regarding Peter Livingston's family. I am curious what the ancestral origins of Peter Livingston's Livingston ancestors in Scotland were.
Our Clan Maclea Livingstone group and a good number of other Livingstons world wide have been participating in a Y chromosome test for a number of years offered by the familytreedna company. One of Dr. Livingstone's great-nephews for instance did this Y Chromosome DNA test several year ago which identifies markers of the male Y-Chromosome as has many other livingstons from a variety of other origins some originating in Scotland and some from Ulster, Ireland of earlier lowland Scotch origin. If there is a great-great-great Livingston grandson of your ancestor Peter Livingston, Livingston cousins etc. that you are touch with and interested in ultilizing DNA testing to confirm which of numerous old Livingston families he is matching the closest with when tested, I can provide information about that familytree Y chromosome DNA project if any of your Livingston kin might be interested in genealogical DNA testing to help identify their Livingston family origins in Scotland, highland or lowland or Northern Ireland.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

Very few direct male offspring from my great grandfather William Livingston. I did ask my nephew and he seemed interested. He has the funds to do it so it will happen when he is ready. I might mention it to him again. His brother doesn't seem interested in dna at all and busy with his young family. I'm not even sure where my cousin's boy is. both of his parents were killed in a house fire when he was young. My grandfather's half brother had 1 son but he is not interested. Not sure if there is a direct male offspring from my great grandfather's children born out of wedlock? I will look. Send me the information and I will talk to my older nephew again. It is very hard to get some people to do the tests and it is not cheap. I have asked but nothing lost if I ask again.

Thank you

Edith Livingston Reardon
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

You can send the info to edithreardon@yahoo.ca. That way I can send it to my other nephew too.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Edith,

I have sent you the familytreedna Y chromosome test info from their website this morning. I am refreshing my memory regarding the Peter Livingston East Kilbride Lanarkshire ancestra line from earlier posts with you back in 2012. We had much luck tracing the family of Peter Junior's father also Peter b.1805 who remained in Lanarkshire back to an earlier Peter Livingston his father and mother wife Helen Young which was easily verified by the son Peter Livingston's death record of 1858 in East kilbride, Lanarkshire. I will try to summarize all of these info into one page later today and post it so your nephews can have some basic info on their Scottish ancestry if they have an interest in the details of their Scottish Livingston ancestry. It was great that there was actually a good amount of genealogy info available in the Scottish records regarding your Livingston family before the Peter Livingston born in the 1830's in Scotland came to Canada. And given that one of the David Livingstone's great nephews has done this familytreedna test already, if one of your nephews is interested in the DNA test I mentioned it will most definitely prove whether or not those two Livingston families shared any Livingston ancestral connection. From the information available to us there is no known family connection except that a brother of Peter lived in Llstowel, Ontario by coincidence at the same time as Dr. LIvingstone's older brother but the DNA test can confirm whether or not they shared a more distant ancestral connection in Scotland and of course help to determine if they are matching with any other LIvingstons already tested in this familytreedna project.

This was one message from 2012 in which I confirmed that Peter Livingston born 1805 in Kirkton, East Kilbride was the son of Peter Livingston and Helen Young
Hi Edith,

I had a little bit of luck. Found Peter Livingston's father's death record also verifying the name of the deceased Peter Livingston's father and mother. So to my amazement we have established through checking the records that you have at least four Peter Livingstons in your Livingston family line. Thats really interesting. Dont see that too often though we have had a couple of people who had four or five generations of Donald Livingstons in their family contact the forum.

Peter Livingston (b. December of 1805 at Kirkton, East Kilbride parish, Lanarkshire) according to his death record died January 5th 1858 in Kirkton, East Kilbride Parish, Lanarkshire age 52 years. Parent are recorded in his death records as being the same as his birth/baptismal entry: Peter Livingston and Helen Young. It is also noted that the father of the deceased also deceased was also a Handloom Weaver who we know also lived at Kirkton Village in East Kilbride. This record then verifies that the Patrick Livingston that married Helen Young in 1798 in East Kilbride Parish was infact actually Peter Livingston who in other reccords we have come across was married to Helen Young. So your Documented Livingston family line so far as we know it:
(Work In Progress)
1. Peter (Patrick) Livingston married Helen Young Feb. 18,1798 in East Kilbride Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland
2. Peter Livingston b. December 29 1805 baptised January 1806 died Jan. 5 1858 East Kilbride married Barbara Bright August 28, 1827 Kirkton, East Kilbride, Lanarkshire
3.Peter Livingston b. May 24,1830 Kirkton, East Kilbride d. March 5, 1909 Baden, Wilmott Twp. Waterloo County Ontario married Janet Riddel Nov. 12,1853 Kirkton, East Kilbride, Lanarkshire (left for Canada 1854 or 1855)
4. William Livingston b. March 31,1866 in Ontario, Canada m. (First WIfe) Maggie Fisher Dec. 17, 1891 in Huron County,Ontario
5. Peter Riddel Livingston b.Nov. 18 1894 d. 1896 m Alva Hazel Kindry 1895-1940

Your ancestor Peter Livingston 1830-1909 and his wife Janet Riddel as well as his brother James Livingston M.P. 1838-1920 and his wife Louise Sophia Lierch are all buried in the Fairmount Cemetery in Baden, Wilmott Township, Waterloo County, Ontario. Their parents were Peter Livingston 1805-1858 Hand Loom Weaver and Barbara Bright of Kirkton, East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland

regards,

Donald
Edith Reardon

Post by Edith Reardon »

Maybe I will find William Livingston's wife buried there too. I know one relative in Scotland figured there was a family connection to Dr. Livingston but could not proof it. Would be nice if my nephew took the test to proof it.

Thank you for the information and I will be passing it on.