livingstons of lot 30 pei

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
steven10

livingstons of lot 30 pei

Post by steven10 »

Hello everyone my name is steven, i am new to the forum. I have currently been reasearching my great grandmothers line. My great grandmother was Annie warburton Livingston born in1899 at lot 30 bonshaw rd. Queens county PEI. I have read the research of Mr. John Collins wich i found to be very helpful. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with any information on the livingstons of Lot 30 PEI from before 1806 when the family was still in the mull/morvern area of scotland? Thanks, Steven
Canadian Livingstone

Re: livingstons of lot 30 pei

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Steven,

I would have to say that Mr. John Collins is probably the foremost expert on your pioneer PEI Ancestor Donald Livingston born abt. 1750 at Morvern and his family that settled at Lot 65, Lot 31 and later neighbouring Lot 30 in Queens County, Prince Edward Island, Canada. John has extensively researched both Donald Livingston's family before and after their 1806 settlement in PEI. Based on his information it would appear that Donald Livingston and his sons originated from Morvern Parish, Argyllshire but prior to leaving for PEI they resided in neighbouring Mull. In 1806 Donald his wife Mary and family embarked from Tobermory, Mull and voyaged to PEI aboard the Rambler. The 1806 passenger list for the Rambler survived and lists Donald and his family and their age at the time of the voyage.

Your best bet would be to contact John through his Donald Livingston of Lot 65, Nine Mile Creek QUeens County, PEI related website. I have been contacted by one other descendant of this Donald Livingston, but John is the most knowledgable on this PEI Livingston family group.

regards,

Donald
steven10

Post by steven10 »

Donald, I am going to take your advice and try to contact Mr.Collins. Hopefully I will be able to get in contact with him so that i can get some info. Anyways, thanks for your help. Steven
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Steven

It's definitely going to be great to try Mr. Collins and we do recommend you do that. But I think we might have more info here as well...

Can anyone point to other documents about the Lot 30 PEI family on our Forum here? Or suggest other things to look into?

Can you tell us, Steven, a little more about your family?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
steven10

Post by steven10 »

Hey Kyle, Yes, I can tell you a little about my family. I have recently started researching my mothers side of the family. When I started doing research all that I knew was that my great grandmother Annie W. Livingston had come to the United States from PEI. So, as I was doing my research I had come across the work of Mr. Collins wich was great because it made my work alot easier. As you know Mr. Collins has done alot of reasearch on my family the Livingstons of Clyde River Nine Mile Creek lot 65. Wich would of been Donald Livingston who immigrated to PEI in 1806 Tobermory, mull. But it seems that the family was originally from the Morvern area before they moved to Mull.From what I understand Donald had a son Donald Livingston jr. Who at first resided at lot 65 but by 1807 was listed as a Lord Selkirk settler at the Dog (Clyde) River. Donald jr. married Flora Mcphail and they had 9 kids. One of the kids John Livingston who was born at Dog River lot 31 had eventually rented some land at the neighboring lot 30. It seems that John Livingston was married twice, first to Margret Mcdonald wich they had 3 kids. Then in his second marriage to Margret (Peggy) Mcdougall he had 4 kids. In the 1881 census it shows two of John Livingstons sons living at the Bonshaw rd. lot 30. One John Livingstons sons Ewen Livingston married Catherine Fisher. Ewen and Catherine had 9 children one of them Annie W. Livingston who is my great grandmother. So thats some history about my family according to the work of Mr.Collins wich I am forever grateful for. Now I can tell you what I know from what my family has told me. In 1901 Ewen, Catherine, and their children immigrated to Boston, Massachusetts. So my great grandmother Annie w. Livingston who was born at lot30 bonshaw rd. in 1899 came to massachusetts in 1901. Annie w. Livingston eventually married Leroy Campbell Smith. Annie and Leroy had 5 children 2 who are still with us and living in the area also they had many grandchildren and great grandchildren who also are mostly still in the area. Anyways, thats a little about my Livingston family. Thanks, Steven
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Steven

I live on PEI and my mom was a Livingstone. While her family is not documented as been related to your family, I suspect we are but have yet to find the flaming gun. I have done quite a bit of research at the provincial archives and are there any particular questions you have that I may be able to do some research for you the next time I am at the archives? Many of my families ancestors also went to Massachusetts in the 1800s and many of them are still there. My family is from the eastern end of PEI and my oldest PEI ancestor was Colin Livingstone, born in Mull, Scotland in 1818.

Barry
steven10

Post by steven10 »

Barry,

I have just started doing my research a couple of months ago. Any advice or anything that you think can help me or make my research easier would be great. Also, if there is any thing that I can do to help you please let me know. I live in Boston, MA and most of my family is also from the area. If you have any questions or anything I will do my best to be of assistance. Thank you for offering the help and good luck on finding the flaming gun. When you do find the flaming gun make sure you let me know about it. Thanks,

Steven
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

Here are interesting discussion from 2012 with a gentleman of Prince Edward Island ancestry whose Livingston moved to Boston in 1899 and who is descended from Donald Livingston Jr. son of the Donald Livingson b. 1750 who settled in Prince Edward island in 1806 and settled in QUeens County, PEI with his family originally from Mull and before that Morvern in Western Argyll. In 1807 Donald Livingston Jr. was located on Lot 31 and his father Donald Livingston Sr. was located on neighbouring LOt 65 Nine Mile Creek. Later the family of Donald Livingston Jr. also are residing at Lot 30 apparently. By 1840 Donald Livingston Sr. is deceased and two other Livingstons Allan Livingston b.1814 Scotland and Donald Cameron Livingston b. abt. 1810 or 1811 in Scotland take up residence in two locations in the NIne Mile Creek area. The mystery is that Allan Sr. and Donald Cameron Livingston seem to be two brothers born in Scotland after Donald Livingston Sr. and his family arrived in PEI and don't seem to be related to them. What seems to be is after Donald Livingston Sr. b.1750 died none of his sons who long before 1840 had established themselves in other locations in PEI did not occupy his land for reasons unknown and instead ALlan Livingston's american descendant and I have found that his ancestor and brother of his ancestor Donald Cameron Livingston seem to have occupied two lots on opposite sides of Nine Mile Creek by the 1840's. Whether or not one of these farms had formerly been in possession of other family of Donald Livingston Sr. b.1750 is not clear but that may not be case. For the past year I have working behind the scenes with this descendant of Allan Livingston of Nine Mile Creek, PEI trying to make some progress with this Livingston family mystery that his frustrated him for some time. We did establish that these two brother born in Scotland after the earlier Livingston family arrived in 1806 seems to have arrived perhaps a couple of decades later at Nine Mile Creek and settled there. They seem to arrived perhaps a little before 1840. That is not clear but they definitely were residing in the NIne Mile Creek by about 1841. What if any connection to the original Livingston family in Nine Mile Creek and pioneer Livingston settler of Nine Mile Creek Donald Livingston Sr. 1750 is as yet unknown and what seems to be the case is that the two Livingston families both of clearly highland Argyllshire LIvingston origin don't seem to be closely related. So a mystery remains a mystery. A big thanks also goes out to Barry for taking the time to doing an archival document search on this one. We would encourage any one reading this with Prince Edward Island Livingstone ancestors to contact the forum with your own Livingstone ancestral story as Steven did.

regards,

Donald