John Hugh Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: John Hugh Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,
To be honest it is somewhat of a challenge to discern with a 100 percent degree of certainty what the first name is in that hard to read 1861 Census entry. The 1867 PEI obituary of your great-great grandfather Colin Livingston does however clearly state that had resided in Whycocomagh, Cape Breton sometime prior to liviing in PEI. That important piece of information could only have come from his Livingston next of kin at the time the obituary was being written. So we can ponder whether or not Collin was connected to the Whycocomagh Livingstons and/or the neighbouring MUll River Livingstons but it seems unlikely that there were three Livingston families that resided in the Mull River and Whycocomagh area of Inverness County before 1861. And it is clear from the family history of the Judique/ Port Hood Inverness county family of pioneers John Livingston and his wife Isabella McDonald that they arent directly connection to the Mull River and Whycocomagh Livingstons though the dna testing indicates that they may have shared some ancestors in highland Western Argyllshire. If we have the opportunity to test a known descendant of the Mull RIver Livingstons we will be a better position to understand if any of these Livingston families that are understood to have resided in the Mull River and Whycocomagh area including presumingly your great-great grandfather Colin Livingston are closely related. I think getting Mull RIver/Mabou area Livingstons interested in this project would certainly be of benefit.

Also of some interest in nearby Victoria County, Cape Breton there are the descendants of the ANgus livingston and the Boularderie Livingstons. Angus was a sailor during the Napoleonic War on a channel fleet vessel protecting the ENglish coast from French Navy attacks and possible invasion by Napoleon's forces. Following the end of the Napoleonic Wars he settled in Victoria County, Cape Breton in 1819 at Boularderie and there are descendants apparently in the area. Several of his Boularderie Livingston descendants fought in World War 1.No one from this family group is participating in the project as yet, but this Livingston family is apparently also of highland Western Argyllshire , Scottish origin like other Livingstons that made Cape Breton their home in the early 1800's. It is said that Angus was a skilled boatbuilder in his lifetime in Cape Breton.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

The bigger picture for the Nova Scotia and PEI Livingstones that have been tested so far is that all of them share similar dna characteristics and are therefore are a part of the Western Argyll Maclea Livingstone group known as the Parker-Livingstone Group or the Mull Group. While they may not be all closely related it is clear that they most have a ancestral connection to Western Argyll and to Mull Maclea Livingstones and that discovery in itself would not be known had it not been for dna testing. While every Livingston family in Nova Scotia in PEI has been tested it is clear that many of them originated from Mull and that the Parker-Livingstone group is so far the dominant group in maritime Canada. It would be interesting to see where the Mull River and Boularderie Livingstons of Cape Breton fit into this. That would be the next step.

regards,

Donald
sandylivingston

Post by sandylivingston »

Sorry for bothering everyone but I'm getting more confused all the time. After believing that John Livingston Jr was the son of John Livingston and Catherine Campbell with siblings Mary, Janet, Donald, Alexander, Catherine, Colin and Christina. In the photo gallery it shows a photo of pioneer John Sr's headstone with wife Mary Campbell. Also on the stone are John Jr and Old Kate. Makes sense so far because Mary and Catherine have both been named as the wife of John Sr. However it shows a son Duncan !! Where did he come from ? Could this Duncan have been born in Canada ? If not it eliminates the John and Catherine family mentioned above. Mull genealogy shows this family of John and Catherine with a Duncan baptized 14 Nov 1813 , but no John Jr. http://www.mullgenealogy.co.uk/MullSear ... v_no=31768 Could have John Jr been born in Canada ? The only thing I'm certain of now is that John Jr and Old Kate were my gg grandparents. headstone http://clanlivingstone.info/coppermine/ ... lls019.jpg Could it be as simple as Duncan being in the wrong column ? Should he be under John Jr and Old Kate? I know he died in Springhill but i haven't found a marker yet.
thanks,
Sandy Livingston
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sandy,

There are differing views regarding the children of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell who settled in Mull RIver. The author the the History of Inverness County which was published as early as the 1920's was given information that the sons of John Livingston Sr. who settled at Mull River in 1824 were John Livingston Jr who married old Kate, Neil and Allan. I dont agree with the Neil and Allan part but clearly regardless of whether my information or that of the author from the 1920's is correct, no one is disputing that JOhn Livingston Sr. of Mull River had a son John Livington Jr. who married old kate from PEI. So regardless your ancestral connection to John Livingston Jr. is not affected. It is therefore beyond dispute that you are connected ancestrally to that original family of Mull Scotland pioneers John Livingston and Catharine Campbell that settled in 1824.

That tombstone was erected long after the death of old John Livingston Sr. and his wife of Mull RIver and they obviously had little information on their death or age at time of death just two names. MARY IS WRONG. I think they had a daughter Mary who died at Mull River in 1848. Someone many years after old John Livingston Sr. and his wife Catharine Campbell died at Mull River erected a tombstone for them referring to them as John Livingston and Mary Campbell. That unfortunate error has created no end to confusion. I talked to the Mull River Livingston expert Dr. St. Clair and he did agree that John's wife name was more likely Catharine Campbell. The Duncan Livingston on the stone does not refer to a son John Liivngston and Mary Campbell I dont think but to John Livingston Jr. and old Kate who did have a son named Duncan. None of the family trees to my knowledge are stating that John Sr. of Mull River had a son named Duncan I dont think. It must refer then to a son of John Livingston Jr. or is simply an error on the part of the person who erected the stone. The tombstone correctly mentions John Livingston Jr. who died sometime before 1860 and his wife old Kate 1808-1912 and then lists Ann their youngest child a spinster who was born in 1855 and died in 1920. From That then we also know that old Kates husband John Jr. died sometime between 1855 and the census of 1861 that he is not listed in. Everyone seems to agree he died sometime between 1855 and 1860 in Mull River. The Duncan Livingston is not listed with a death date so it could be anyone but I would assume they meant John Livingston Jrs son Duncan you ancestor but he is not likely buried there. So it is a bit of mystery. In any event it appears the person who created that tombstone did not have all the info. Looks like is erected at the time of old kates death in 1912 or their youngest daughter ann in 1920 and not for anyone else listed on that stone. It a stone from the early 20th century and not the 19th century. The person clearly did not have all the information on the early Livingston family but were obviously making and effort to create a Livingstone monument for all their Livingston ancestors of the Mull River family with what they thought they knew.

So while the names of the brothers of your ancestor may be in some dispute depending on whose research you are reading, all accounts I have seen including mine maintain that John Livingston Jr. who lived at Mull River Livingstone Mountain with old Kate Livingston of PEI was the son of John Livingston Sr. of Mull River from Mull Scotland who arrived at Mull River Cape Breton around 1824. One or way or another no one can dispute you being a direct descendant of the Mull River Livingston pioneers John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Kilninian PARISH, Mull.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Sandy/Donald,

I’m not too sure if this is going to help, or cause more confusion,I was looking at old research, from mainly Scotlands People/Mull Genealogy/Mull Families, I’ve found the following persons, all with parents named John Livingstone & Catherine Campbell;

Family 1. Grace b. Penalbanach, Mull, no b. date.
Mary b./bpt. 01 Aug. 1819 at Kingarar, Mull.
Duncan b. abt. 14 Nov. 1813 at Penalbanach, Mull.

Family 2. Donald b. abt. 08 Nov. 1812, Mull.
Alexander b/bpt. 30 June 1814 at Aird, Mull.
Catherine b. abt. 21 Aug. 1816 at Mull.
Colin b. abt. 01 Sept. 1818 at Penmore, Mull.
Christina b. abt. 26 Dec. 1820 at Mull.

Also listed for Family 1, is John/Neil/Allan, no further info available so far, there is also a Flora listed on one site, but her parents appear to be John Livingstone & Ann McDougall.

Family 2, have also got a Mary/John/Janet, again no further info available on them so far, but still looking.

There appears to be some discrepancies across the three sites, on who belongs to which family, Mull Genealogy appears to have a slightly different listing than the other two, who is right or wrong, I don't know, I've not had time to look closer at it as yet,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

The parish records for Kilninian Parish as you mentioned mention another John Livingston and Catharine Campbell which include Grace, Donald Duncan and Hugh They apparently resided at Penalbanach and Aird but this family does not seem to have either a Neil or an Allan or most importantly a John Livingston Jr. so they dont seem to be the family of John Livingston Jr. that settled at Mull River in 1824 according to the 1920's book The History of Inverness County (Cape BReton,Nova Scotia). I still think that the other John Livingston and Catharine Campbell who were married in 1805 at Penmore, Kilninian Parish Mull and had 8 children from 1806 to 1820 including the eldest son John and sons Donald, Alexander and Colin are the John Livingston and Catharine Campbell that according to the Mull Justice of Peace in 1821 left in 1821 for the port of Pictou, Nova Scotia with 7 children. (one presumingly died sometime earlier. And secondly the family of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell that settled at Mull River, Cape Breton Nova Scotia 3 years later in 1824 as mentioned in the 1920s History of Inverness County, Cape BReton. I am convinced that the Penmore Livingston family settled in Inverness County, Cape Breton but may not be able to prove it.

Regarding your ancestor Angus Livingston. John Macleod in his book on Reverend Norman Macleod(1783-1862) of St. Columba Church Glasgow the son of Rev. Norman Macleod of Morvern Parish (1745-1828) comments on how many Argyllshire men enlisted in the Argyll Fencibles in the late 1700's and early 1800's because of the threat of French Invasion. No doubt your ancestor Angus Livignston was one them.

regards,

Donald
sandylivingston

hi! I agree with Donald on the theory of the John Sr and Catherine Campbell of Mull River, although it is yet to be proven. As for my great grandfather Duncan, son of John Jr he and his wife Mary MacDonald died in Springhill Nova Scotia as did Alexander MacDonald ( bard), Mary's Father in 1904. I have a copy of the death announcement for Mary from the Antigonish Casket. In regards to John Hugh Livingston, my grandfather, son of Duncan, he died in 1956, age 83 at the home of his daughter Flora in Halifax Nova Scotia.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sandy,

When did your grandfather John Hugh Livingston pass away?

regards,

Donald
sandylivingston

Hi! John Hugh passed away in 1956, age 83. He is buried in Springhill N.S. in the North Street RC Cemetery. My father Alexander Duncan, my uncles Allan and David are buried in the same plot. The oldest son, also John ( Jack) Hugh is buried a few yards away. I have photos of the markers if anyone is interested. An interesting note is you can see where the " E " is ground off the marker. I can remember this being done after my father returned from a hunting trip to Cape Breton. He must have ran into some family there. He was hunting in the Port Hood, Marble Mountain area. I was quite young at the time but I'd guess it was around 1960.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for the info on your grandfather. As mentioned previously it was great to make contact with you and locate someone connected to the Mull River Cape Breton John Livingston Jr. son of John Livingston and Kate Livingston. For your reference the earliest published source of information regarding your ancestors in Nova Scotia is author J.L. MacDougall who published a book in 1922 "The History of Inverness County' which briefly mentions that "Mr Livingstone (John Livingstone Sr.) settled in Mull River in 1824. He was married to a sister of Allan Campbell minister. Their family were (1) John who married Kate Livingstone of PEI with issue: JOhn,Duncan',Hugh, Kate, Jane, Mary, Flora and Ann.........'"

regards,
Donald