New to Forum

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: New to Forum

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle and John,
I dont think there is a connection to Dr. Livingstone's family in Blantyre, Lanarkshire or earlier in highland Argyllshire, Mull or Appin, but isn't David Peter Livingston and Lily Melrose who ended up in NSW Australia mentioned here kin to our DNA Project Coordinator, Andrew Lancaster also from Australia if I am not mistaken?

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

One of the links Kyle posted is for Andrews info on this family, if I remember correctly, there is also some research on the old forum, going back a few years, done by yourself & others, into this family.

John

PS. I just checked again, one of Kyles links is to info from 2011 that we got on this family.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Some of Andrew Lancaster's early postings from 2005 discuss his Livingston family connection as well.

regards,
Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

Hi everyone!

Well I think you have all worked out that indeed Louisa Jane De Mestre Livingstone was indeed a member of the same Livingstone family I connect to. She appears mentioned on this webpage: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Adam%2 ... orace.html which also gives information about newspaper articles concerning her sad death.

I was also bought up with the same story about a connection to Dr Livingstone. Whatever connections might exist, the one proposed in our family is impossible. To give two very basic reasons:

1. Dr Livingstone's brother John moved to Canada, and his descendants are from there. He never lived in Dundee or Australia.

2. My genealogy website, which listed everything we could work out, finally attracted an English correspondent who had old 19th century information showing that their Livingstons knew our Livingstones, for example even the names of the children born in Australia. And this same information gave confirmation of our family's real ancestry.

When we put it all together, we can trace the line back to about 1700 in Glamis. Our ancestors were on the wrong side in the rebellions of 1715 and 1745. In parish registers their name is often given as Livage, Livatch and so on.

Perhaps if our new correspondent would like to swap notes, my private e-mail could be handy: andrew.lancaster@skynet.be

Cheers
Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew,
It is always a wonderful moment at the forum when someone who shares an ancestral connection with a Clan member contacts us. I was myself just contacted at the forum by a person whose ancestor came to Canada in 1812 on the same boat as my ancestor Miles Livingston b.1775 and settled with him and his kinsmen Donald Livingston a boatbuilder at Lord Selkirk's Red River Colony. Although not a Livingston, the Red River Colony information regarding the Livingstons that I mentioned from postings long ago at the Forum here were apparently helpful in locating info on their own ancestor. After contacting the forum recently, they were able to locate hard to find baptismal information on their ancestor that originated from LOrd Selkirk's Red RIver Colony in Western Canada in the early 1800's. Anyways we are equally excited about your ancestral connection to one of our latest participants at the forum. We have as you know accumulated alot of Livingstone related ancestral info in our postings from both the old and new forum collection and hopefully sooner or later, Livingston family researchers will see some information that pertains to their family. That does seem to be happening from time to time which is great.

Our family was also told for years that we were somehow related to Dr. Livingstone but that turned out not to be the case. My father was very disappointed by that news.

regards,
Donald
ron bruce

Post by ron bruce »

I am the grandson of David Orange Whitehall Livingstone, known to the family as David Oliver.
My great grandmother was Louisa Jane DeMestre Whitehall who married Robert Gardiner Whitehall. Louisa was born at Dural, N.S.W. and died on the 12th August 1879. Her father was David Living and her mother was Lally Melrose, She committed suicide by hanging and portion of the inquest was printed in the Shoalhaven Telegraph on the 14th August 1879. Louisa is buried in the cemetery at Nowra, N.S.W. in unconsecrated ground. I have visited her grave on numerous occasions. When Louisa died, David Orange Whitehall was three years of age. He was taken in by his uncle, Louisa's brother, William John Livingstone who lived in the Southern Highlands. There were six others in the family; Robert Gardiner, Louisa Jane, John Thomas, Lillian Gardiner, Thomas Morton & Oliver Cromwell.
The name Whitehall first appears in our family tree by a person named Samuel Whitehall who arrived in Australia on the Admiral Gambier as a convict to serve seven years penal servitude. He married Joanna Vickery (a convict) on the 23rd June 1817. They had two children, the first born in 1820 and died the same year. The second child, Thomas Samuel Whitehall, was born in 1821. Their father Samuel died the same year and Thomas was given to the Gardiner family to raise. The name Gardiner is also spelt Gardener and Gardner and was used by the Whitehall family.
My grandfather, David Orange married Elsie Maud York on the 28-8-1899, they had seven children the third born being my mother, Iris York Whitehall Livingstone, born 6-4-03. They first lived in Mort St. Balmain, then moved to Henley, a place I knew well and a place where all the family gathered for birthdays, Christmas etc.
David Orange died in 1946, I was allowed to attend the funeral being the eldest grandson. There were no ladies present. When my grandmother died there were no more reunions held and sadly the family drifted apart.
I hope this information will be of some help to you and if you wish to contact me please email me on texaracer@yahoo.com.au
Looking forward to hearing from you when time permits.
Ron Bruce.