Livingstones Living In Eaglesham in 1800s

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Angnz

Livingstones Living In Eaglesham in 1800s

Post by Angnz »

Hi
I have been researching my family history and have ended up here at this website. My GGGG grand father was James Livingstone he was born around 1814-20 but not in Eaglesham according to the 1941 census, he married a Betty Baird born 16 Jan 1805 in Eaglesham. They married on 23rd April 1841 and had 2 children James and Andrew. I can go back on Betty Bairds side to 1745 but no nothing about James other than in 1841 Census in Eaglesham living in Cheapside Street but not 1851 Census with Betty and Children living in Montgomery Square, Eaglesham. It was said in family history that James often played with his cousin David, presumably the famous David Livingstone the Explorer but I can not find anything to lead me to that conclusion. I would love to hear from anyone with any information about this branch of Livingstone's as I have hit a brick wall. Does anyone no the names of David Livingstone's Uncles and weather they had family that could tie to my James.

Angela Mitchell
New Zealand
jmlivingstone

Re: Livingstones Living In Eaglesham in 1800s

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Angela,

Welcome to the forum.

I've not got much to contribute at present, but I came across the following in the 1861 census;

Mrs. James Livingstone, 55 yrs., muslin weaver.
James Hamilton, 22 yrs., joiner.
James Livingstone, 19, muslin weaver.
resident at 7, Gilmour St., Eaglesham.

Not sure if this is the same family, but the ages tie in pretty close, so it may be worth having a closer look at.

Strangely, James Hamilton is listed as son of James Livingstone in this census.

As far as tracing Livingstones before the mid 1700's, if they are of highland descent, it is extremely difficult, I've got back to around 1779, then came to a dead end.

On the subject of Dr. Livingstone, most branches of the Livingstone family have much the same type of stories, others on this site, like Donald, will be able to supply detailed information on the doctors family.

Just as a matter of interest, Blantyre, where Dr. Livingstone lived, & Eaglesham are around 12 miles apart, so, in the days when everyone worked a six day week, it would probably have been fairly difficult to get between the two towns on a regular basis.

Sorry not to have come up with anything more useful to you,

John.
Angnz

Post by Angnz »

Hi John

Yes this is my family in the census you have listed. I have got all the info going back to 1841 Census as well as marriage dates for Betty and James and birth dates for Betty Baird, but I can not find anything on James Livingstone other than on the 1941 Census it states he was born outside of census county and aged 20 years old. Apparently on the Marriage Data it states they are both from Renfrewshire County. On searching Family Search web site I did find a Hugh Livingstone who married an Ann Lyons in Eaglesham in the same year as James and Betty 1841, and wondered if they were related, but couldn't find anything more of Hugh other than the marriage.

In your answer to the two boys playing when they were young, as James didn't come from Eaglesham I was wondering he came from Blantyre and that's why I was keen to know weather David had other relatives in Blantyre, bit of a long shot I know.

In the census info you have attached the head of the family is actual Betty is says Mrs James Livingstone and James Hamilton is actual her son from a previous marriage. It appears that James either died or left the family, in a later census Betty states that she is a widow, so I believe he died sometime between 1843 and 1851 but I can not find any records for this.

Angela
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Angela,

I still have not found anything on James senior, possibly he did not die at Eaglesham, & unfortunately, James was a very popular name at the time, so virtually impossible to track down, short of an expensive dig through Scotlands Peoples records, with no guarantee of success.

I have found a death certificate for his son James, who died at Eaglesham on 16 Feb. 1881 at age 39 years. The death certificate was signed (X mark) by his widow Jean Livingstone, Elizabeth has previous names of Johnson (not 100% certain of this, it's very difficult to read), & Hamilton.
James senior was deceased by the time of James death.

Hugh Livingstone & Ann Lyon were married 27 Aug. 1841, Hugh is shown as a resident of Galloway, but still no indication if he is related to James,

John
Joanlilias

Post by Joanlilias »

Are we related? I am Joan lilias Harrison nee mitchell. I had uncle Wallace and my grandma was lilias Wallace livingstone and grandad was Charles Macbeth Mitchell we have tried to trace the long stone line but get stuck at the same place as you.my uncle was Wallace,wife June,children roger and christopher.love to hear what the family connection is
Joanlilias

Post by Joanlilias »

Hi Angela.
My grandmother was also Lilias Wallace Livingstone married to Charles Macbeth Mitchell. I am very interested in your search for James Livingstone and possible connections with David Livingstone as I was told throughout my childhood that we were related.
Joan Lilias Harrison nee Mitchell
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Angela,
There were a significant number of highland Argyllshire Livingstons/Livingstone tenant crofters who left Argyllshire in the late 1700's/early 1800's for a better life and work in the mills of lowland Lanarkshire. In fact by the 1800's Lanarkshire had the largest population of Livingstons/Livingstones living there next to their Argyllshire homeland. Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingston and his wife Mary Morrison left Argyllshire in 1792 for Lanarkshire where there was work in the Blantyre mill of the Monteith family for Neil Sr.Later Neil Livingston Seniors sons including NEil Livingston JR. father of Dr. David Livingstone worked for the Monteith's in Blantyre. Another son Charles was also employed by the Monteith family but ended up in the British Navy during the Napoleonic War and died during that War. Not much is known about about Neil Senior and Mary MOrrison's other sons and was some believe that some or all of them were killed during the Napoleonic Wars.

There is no evidence that they or their families remained in the Blantyre area in the early 1800's although there were "other" Livingstons working for the Monteith's at their mill in Blantyre and other Livingston families to be sure located in other towns and village not far from Blantyre. I have not however found any concrete evidence that these "other" Lanarkshire Livingstons were related to Dr. Livingstone's family for certain, though it may be that some of them were. Dr. Livingstone, who with his older brother John Livingstone 1811-1899 and his younger brother Rev Charles Livingstone 1823-1873 worked for the Monteiths at the Blantyre Mill in their youth does not mention any connection to other Livingstone families in Lanarkshire and it is not clear from any of the family research I have seen over the years that if any of the other Livingston/Livingstone families that resided in Lanarkshire the same time as Dr. Livingstone's grandfather and father were related to them.
Dr. Livingstone's father Neil Livingston Jr. who eventually left the mill in Blantyre and became a tea dealer and his wife Agnes Hunter left their one room mill workers residence at the Blantyre mill sometime before 1840 and moved to nearby Hamilton, Lanarkshire where they are buried. Dr. Livingstone' brother John settled in Canada in the 1840's and the other brother Rev. Charles Livingstone also left Scotland in the 1840's where he became a minister in America and later joined Dr. Livingstone on his Zambezi Expedition of the 1860's and died in 1873.

I regret to say that I have no info that your ancestor James Livingston of Eaglesham and his family is connected to Dr. Livingstone's family that lived in Blantyre, Lanarkshire in the early 1800's. I have done some work as have others in trying to establish exactly the origins of the other Livingston's who resided in the Blantyre and nearby areas in Lanarkshire in the early 1800's, but there is no definite evidence of a family connection in my opinion. Most of these families were almost certainly originally from parishes in Western Argyllshire in highland Scotland which is the ancestral homeland of our clan, but apart from that I really dont know much about the origins of these Lanarkshire Livingstons/Livingstones, except of course Dr. Livingstone's family.

regards,
Donald
Angnz

Post by Angnz »

Hi Joan

Yes we are related my grandfather was Wallace and my father was Roger I would love to share the information I have with you and I think you probably know a lot more than me about our family. Sorry I haven't posted a reply sooner but I have been having a rest from my family research and have only just read it.
I look forward to hearing you soon.

Angela
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

hello Angela,
I'm researching David Livingstone as I have been brought up with the story that I am related to him.
My mother is Joan Lilias Mitchell and she like you has Livingstone connections.
My mum is very excited about the links with you and would like to know more. Unfortunately she has not been able to access your private message from her account. Hope to hear from you soon.

Elizabeth Harrison