Janet livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Misty

Janet livingstone

Post by Misty »

Hello I am just new the form I have been research my family tree for a few years and got back to 1798 Morven Argyll, Scotland GGG grandmother Janet Livingstone father Donald Livingstone mother Catherine McInnes .
Janet
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Janet livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Misty,
Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Forum.
I am unfortunately not familiar with the Janet Livingstone born abt. 1789 or 1798 you mentioned, I do however have information regarding a Donald Livingstone and Catharine McInnes that resided in Morvern Parish in the late 1700's. The family info I have on their children is as follows:

1. Catharine Livingston born abt. 1788 died Feb. 6,1868 Lochaline, Morvern married Myles McInnes born abt. 1779 Savary, Morvern died March 20, 1865 Lochaline, Morvern

2. Mary Livingston born abt. 1790 died July 4, 1874 Lochaline, Morvern married Ferqruhard McInnis

3. Donald Livingston born 1794 or 1796 died April 6, 1872 at Keil, Morvern near Lochaline, Morvern married to Sarah Livingston born abt. 1813 Savary, Morvern died March 17, 1891 Lochaline, Morvern (Sarah Livingston daughter of Adam Livingston miller of Savary Mill, Savary Morvern, said to be a son of Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern, legendary veteran of the Battle of Culloden 1746 who served as teenager with the Appin Regiment commanded the Appin Stewarts supporters of Bonnie Prince Charlie in the 1745 Rebellion.

Unfortunately I dont have any info that this particular Donald Livingstone and his wife Catharine McInnes had a daughter Janet, though that could be the case. One is additionally challenged in researching this family by the fact that the original birth and baptismal information kept by the parish presbyterian minister does not survive before the early 1800's making it difficult to locate info on the other family of Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes.

There were Livingstons and McInnes residing around Savary in Morvern Parish and nearby in the 1700's and early 1800's and they seem to have often married each other over the years.

Perhaps if you could provide more info on Janet Livingstone in particular the name of her husband she married in the early 1800's presumingly in MOrvern and where they resided in Movern in the 1800's I could get a better sense of her Morvern Livingston family connection. Do you have a death date for Janet Livingston and know if she died in Scotland? If she died in Scotland and you have the year of death I may be able to retrieve some helpful info from her Scottish death record. I am wondering if Janet is from this particular Morvern family.

regards,

Donald
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hello,

Thank you for welcoming me as a member! I have a JANET LIVINGSTONE in my family tree. Here is what I have found:

JANET LIVINGSTONE (daughter of Malcom Livingstone and Kate MacPhee) was born in 1785 in Scotland.

Janet married John Campbell and they had 4 children: John Campbell, Christina Campbell, Anne Campbell and JANET CAMPBELL, all born in Nova Scotia.

JANET CAMPBELL married Neil Johnston and they had 1 child: CHRISTINA JOHNSTON. Christina Johnston is my great-grandmother.

Christina married Michael E. Wells and they had 7 children: William P. Wells, Elizabeth A. Wells, Cora I Wells, Anna B. Wells, EDWARD MICHAEL WELLS, Walter I. Wells and Johanna Wells. Edward Michael Wells is my grandfather.

My grandfather (Edward Michael) and my great-grandmother (Christina) seem to link together two family trees:

1) The Descendants of John Campbell and Janet Livingstone of the Cape George and Antigonish area of Nova Scotia; and,
2) The Wells Family Tree located at http://www.djbc.net/wells.

According to the John Campbell tree, Janet Livingstone was born in 1785 in Scotland. She was married in Pictou Co., Pictou Nova Scotia. The marriage minister was Rev. Dr. MacGregor (Presbyterian Minister). Janet died in 1885 at the age of 100. Janet's husband, John, was born in 1785 in Philadelphia PA and died in 1849 in St. Andrew's, Antigonish, Nova Scotia at the age of 64.

Could this be the Janet Livingstone you are looking for?
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

Thank-you for sharing your Malcolm Livingstone of Pictou, Nova Scotia related family info with the CLan Maclea Livingstone Society. I see how your Johnson family connects to Malcolm Livingston's daughter Janet. Excellent research on your part and much appreciated. As far I I know you are the first descendant of 18th century Nova Scotia Pioneer Malcolm Livingstone to contribute family information to our society forum. As Malcolm Livingstone was the earliest "highland" Argyllshire Livingstone to settle in Nova Scotia it is always of interest to learn something new about his family and to be contacted by one of his present day descendants.

Perhaps this info from an earlier posting of mine on Malcolm Livingston of Pictou, Nova Scotia the father of your ancestor Janet Livingston might be of some interest to you. Some of this info you no doubt are already familiar with through your own research but I thought I should pass this info on to you just in case something here of interest or helpful to your Livingston family research. As your ancestor Malcolm Livingston was possibly the earliest "highland" Livingstone of Western Argyllshire to settle in Nova Scotia in the late 1700's any information regarding Malcolm is of great interest to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society. This was my earlier attempt some time ago to piece together the info that I had seen regarding your ancestor and probable family:

Malcolm Livingstone stands out as the earliest known "highland Livingstone" to settle in Nova Scotia directly from Argyllshire, Scotland though there seems to have been one or two individuals named Livingston as early as the 1760's prior to the American Revolution and a few American Loyalists named Livingston who arrived in the 1780's. Regretably there are but bits and pieces of information regarding Malcolm and his family but perhaps one can make some sense of it all by piecing together what we do know.

It is stated in his 1792 Nova Scotia Land Petition that Malcolm Livingstone was a highland Livingstone origin according to one source having resided at Ardgour which is in the County of Argyllshire near both Morvern and Northern Ballachulish and reasonably close to Lochaber and Fort William in the neighbouring Inverness area. Early land records suggest his wife may have been named Mary. Another source however indicates that Malcolm and his wife Kate Macphee originated in the Lochaber region of Scotland in the Western Argyll/Inverness area where Fort William is situated. Interestingly both accounts seem to agree with the general locality in the highlands where Malcolm seems to have originated. Regretably the parish records for the Ardgour area do not commence until the 1830's and it is of course not certain that Malcolm was actually born in the Ardgour or Lochaber district of Western Argyllshire just that was likely living there at the time he left for Nova Scotia. The 1792 Petition of Malcolm Livington of Pictou County, Nova Scotia also importantly notes that Malcolm and nine members of his family arrived in Merogomish, Pictou County, Nova Scotia in September 1791. Most importantly it identifies 1791 as the year of his arrival in Pictou County and Nova Scotia. A subsequent 1794Tax record states that Malcolm Livingston Sr. is residing at Little Harbour, Pictou County which I understand is in the Merogomish vicinity.

One source states he was one of the Scottish colonists brought over in the year 1792 by Simon Fraser who was infact a son of one Lieutenant John Fraser of the 82nd British Regiment but it is clear from the petition Malcolm Livingston actually arrived in 1791 rather than 1792.Historian Colin MacDonald in 1932 suggested to the Nova Scotia Historical Society that two ships, one probably the "Dunkeld" in the Summer of 1791 brought a large number of highland settlers from the Hebrides to Pictou, Nova Scotia with many of them ending up in neighbouring ANtigonish County. Perhaps significantly No other ships are mentioned for Pictou area settlers for the year 1791. It seem probable that Malcolm Livingston and his family was one of these 1791 arrivals. Malcolm however may have settled however on John Fraser's land in the Merigomish area around this time or one his fellow soldiers who received land in the 1780's. This John Fraser in the year 1785 received 700 acres at Merigomish in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. The 82nd Regiment participated in the Revolutionary War in America and also ended up in Halifax, Nova Scotia where they were disbanded in 1783. Officers, Non Commissioned Officers and inlisted men received land grants in Pictou County and there grants became referred to in Nova Scotia as the 82nd Grants. Scattered settlements sprung up as scottish settlers ended up on original land grants of the 82nd regiment. There is no information to suggest that Malcolm Livingstone served with the 82nd and from what I can tell he was one probably as stated one of highland settlers encouraged to settle in Nova Scotia after the 82nd regiment had received their grants and began clearing the land for settlement.

Later 1810 Malcolm Livingston or Livingstone yeoman received a land grant in the Cape George, ANtigonish County area along with sons Allan and John. By 1814 Malcolm is apparently deceased and his widow Mary Livingston and sons Allan,John,Angus,Colin and Duncan together receive grants and are among the early settlers located on the south side of Cape George in Antigonish County. Livingstone Cove near Cape George is named after this Livingstone family. Nearby was David Ballantyne for whom Ballantyne Cove is named. In addition to his own 500 acre grant he acquired land from his neighbours including Malcolm's son Allen Livington and eventually possessed most of the south side of Cape George. A former soldier in the 82nd Regiment, Ballantyne also had first settled at Merigomish but later received land from the Crown along the shoreline of Cape George. The Livingstons, Campbells and Ballantynes resided in what became known as Arisaig Township. The early census records also seems to indicate another original Livingston family residing in Arisaig Township besides Malcolm's sons in the early 1800's. I actually noticed this a few years ago in a later census that included residents of Arisaig Township. I wondered then if there was not one other additional Livingstone family besides that of Malcolm's that settled in the area.

Family of Malcolm Livingstone who was b.1750's ? in Argyllshire Scotland died between 1810-1814 Cape George,Antigonish Cty. N.S.
Widow Mary Livingstone grantee Cape George South side 1814
John Livingstone 1777- April 16,1821 grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Angus Livingstone grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Allan Livingstone 1778- Aug.1,1863 grantee Cape George South Side 1814 (In 1809 received land at Merogomish,Pictou County)
(Allan states in 1809 record that he arrived in Nova Scotia 18 years earlier (1791)
Colin Livingstone grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Duncan Livingstone grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Janet Livingstone (1785-1885?) married John Campbell (1785-1849) a Cape George area landowner and son of Col. John Campbell who served in the British Army during the American Revolution. By the 1827 Antigonish County Census in Arisaig Township only the sons Allan and Duncan Livingston remain. John died in 1821. Not clear what happened to Angus and Colin.
Dougald Livingstone receives land grant from John Campbell in 1809 at Cape George, Antigonish County (May also be son of Malcolm)

The early land records in the years following Malcolm's death, An 1814 land records I think suggested that his widow's name was Mary rather than Catharine McPhee as you mentioned but perhaps this can be sorted out. I noticed that info on Malcolm Livingston and Catharine McPhee as well. Interesting.

In summary if I understand correctly then your pioneer Cape George, Antigonish County, NS Campbell-Livingstone ancestral connection is something like this:

1. Col John Campbell b. 1785 died 1849 St. Andrews Antigonish County, NS m. Janet Livingston b.1785 Argyllshire Scotland d. 1885 daughter of Malcolm Livingston and Catharine McPhee pioneer settlers of Cape George, Antigonish County, N.S.
2. Janet Campbell b. abt. 1835 m. Neil Johnston
3. Christina Johnston b. 1855 Mabou, Inverness County, Cape Breton, NS died 1920 Boston, Suffolk County Mass, USA married Michael Wells of Mabou, Inverness County, Cape Breton who died 1899 in Guysborough, Nova Scotia
4. Edward Michael Wells (your grandfather)

I cant find Janet Campbell b. abt. 1785 or anyone close in that age range in the 1881 Nova Scotia census in either Antigonish or Pictou Couny Nova Scotia which is disappointing.

regards,

Donald Livingstone Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald,

Wow - this is all so fascinating! What an honor it is to be an ancestor of one of the earliest highland settlers in Nova Scotia. I thought I was part of something big before all of this, but wow, this is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing it. Your summary of my ancestral connection is spot-on.

I recently came across some more information about Malcolm Livingstone and Janet Livingstone that I would like to share with you. Although it may connect more pieces of the puzzle, it may also create another mystery!

The two links below suggest that our Malcolm may have been married twice. According to these records, Malcolm’s first wife was Anne Hoatson, with whom he had one child: Janet Livingstone. Malcolm's second wife was Kate MacPhee, with whom he had six children: Allan, Duncan, John, Dougald, Jessie, and Mary (1779-1816).

If this information is accurate, is it possible that the “Mary” referenced as Malcolm’s widow could actually be his daughter?

http://records.ancestry.com/Malcolm_Liv ... =125140948
http://records.ancestry.com/Malcolm_Liv ... d=23969970

Susan
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

Indeed it is better for me not to assume anything without proof. I thought it stated in the 1814 land record that she was Mary Livingstone widow, but perhaps they could be meaning Malcolm's widowed daughter or another possibility the widow of one of his sons. I seem to recall that one of his sons may of died before 1814. I need to locate that 1814 land transaction info regarding Mary and Malcolm's sons at Cape George again and look it over. It has been a couple of years. I have not seen the original document but I don't think there will be an explanation on it as to who precisely the widow Mary was regrettably. That being said this is a mystery which needs to be unravelled. I dont have a precise death date for Malcolm Livingstone. He was originally residing in Merogomish, Pictou County from they year 1791 when he arrived with his family from Scotland and the last information of him being alive was in 1810 when he received land in ANtigonish County at settled at Cape George.

regards,

Donald
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hello again -

Here are some photos of my great-grandmother, CHRISTINA JOHNSTON. Christina Johnston is Janet (Livingstone) Campbell and John Campbell's granddaughter!

Enjoy,
Susan
Christina Johnston.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Susan/Donald,

After spending a bit of time searching, I found the following, which could be your Malcolm & family, this is all I could find at present on this family. Nor does there appear to be any other family who could fit the bill;

Malcolm Livingstone - m - Catherine (Katherine) McPhee.

Daughter Janet b. 18 Sept. 1788 at Kilmallie, which is close to Corpach & Fort William.

Son Angus b. 1780 at Kilmallie.

Son Dougald b. 1786 at Kilmallie,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
I think you may have something there .Malcolm Livingston and Catharine McPhee and some of the family born before 1792. Kilmallie Parish is in Ardgour as I recall and I would assume that their children were born in 1770's and 1780's in Scotland and none born in Scotland after 1788 which would make sense if they left in 1792 for Nova Scotia.

regards,

Donald
Misty

Post by Misty »

Hi Donald
Sorry It has taking me so long to reply I forgot that I posted a message on her and by chance I came across this forum again ...... That is so much info about the Livingstone I got the name of Janet Livingston of her death cert she Married in Morvern in 1824 to a Peter McPherson and had three children Donald, born Morvern 1826 < Ann born 1829 Ardchattan, and John born 1835 Morvern she died in 1867 at Portmore, Tobermory Argyll Scotland.
thank you for all the info about Donald Livingston and catherine McInnes Children
Janet