Canadian Livingstones

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Canadian Livingstones

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Robin,
Well I have found one census record from 1841 which clearly is that of John Levingston and his wife Isabella. That is John Livingston and his wife Isabella Forbes. I am totally certain that these are the parents of the Charles Livingston (Charles Forbes Livingston) born 1818 who lived in St. Nicholas District City of Aberdeen with his wife Elizabeth Baxter and family. At the time of Charles Forbes Livingston's birth in 1818, John and Isabella were apparently residing in Inverarie about 16 miles from the City of Aberdeen. The 1841 census info on the family indicates that sometime before the year 1841 the family settled in Aberdeen itself and in St. Clements District. Between 1818 and 1841 it looks like the family may have been actually residing in a number of locations in Aberdeenshire.

This family group with John and Isabella in the 1841 Census St.Clements District, Aberdeen includes the siblings or many of them of the Charles Forbes Livingston born in 1818 who lived in St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen in the 1850's and 1860's. Charles for whatever reason is not living with them in 1841 but some of his younger brothers and sisters are still living at home so now we have their names as I cant as yet find their birth records. Most interestingly it looks like Charles FOrbes Livingston did have a younger brother named WIlliam born abt. 1836 or 1835. IF he was William Juniors father he would be only about 19 or 20 when he was born. Anyways I think this is definitely the parents John Livingston and Isabella Forbes with their other children.

1841 Census Aberdeen St. Clements Aberdeenshire
Peter Levingston age 35 brewer
Isabel Levingston age 25
James Livingston age 10

John Levingston age 40 Wood Sawyer
Isabella Levingston age 40 (Isabella Forbes I am quite certain)
Nathaniel Levingston age 14 Salmon Fisher
Catharine Levingston age 9
John Levingston age 7
William Levingston age 5
Horbes Levingston age 3 (must be Forbes)[*]
Elizabeth Baxter age 35
Alexander Baxter age 14
James Baxter age 5
Anne Baxter age 2

[*]Note that Forbes Levingston age 23 appears in the 1861 Census in St. Nicholas, City of Aberdeen with his older brother Charles Forbes Levingston or Livington

1861 Census St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Charles Livingston or Levingston b. 1818 Inverness, Aberdeenshire occupation Ship
Elizabeth Livingston age 40 (Elizabeth Baxter)
John Livingston age 12
Isabella Livinsgton age 9
Charles Livingston age 2
Mary Livingston age 2 months
Forbes Livingston age 23 b. Kintore, Aberdeenshire occupation ship

No sign of William Junior's father WIlliam Livingston the boiler maker but clearly this is his kin one way or another and they it looks like were in St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen at the right time and they kin to a Forbes. I am going to take another look and see if I can find John and Isabella's son WIlliam after the 1841 Census information now that I know he was born apparently as late as about 1836 or 1835. Of course I am not 100 percent certain he is William Junior's father, Charlotte's grandfather but at least I think John Levingston and Isabella Forbes must be Charlotte's Livingston great grandparents. Of that I am reasonably certain with the info i have found and what you have provided me regarding Charlotte's family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,

I found out that another brother of Charles Forbes Livingston was living for a time in St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen. I did not notice him in the 1851 Census in the CIty of Aberdeen but a death entry records that Nathaniel Livingston son of John Livingston and Isabella Forbes died APril 8, 1856 29 yrs in St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen. (See Nathaniel Livingston in the 1841 Census information for family of John Livingston and Isabella Forbes I included in a previous post. That census info gives an age of 14 for Nathaniel which would place his birth year about 1827 or 1826 if his birthday was later than April 8th when he died.

Here is Charles Forbes Livingston's full birth and baptism entry from parish records of Inverurie or Inverury, Aberdeen This is the only birth/baptism record I could find unfortunately for the children of John Livingston and Isabella Forbes, but has proven of some use in connecting your Douglas F. Livingston and his mother Charlotte to these County of Aberdeen Livingstons.

Charles Forbes Livingston born January 21, 1818 baptised Feb. 6, 1818 Parents: John Livingston laborer Burgh-muir of Inverury (Inverurie) in Aberdeenshire and Isabella Forbes The original spelling in the record was Inverury but apparently the actual spelling is Inverurie. I have no idea what happened to John Livingston and his wife Isabella Forbes after the 1841 Census at St. Clements District, City of Aberdeen. I seemed to have lost them after that for some reason. I wonder where John and Isabella Livingston went? Please note the town of Inverurie where Charles Forbes Livingston was born and baptised in 1818 is about 16 miles from City of Aberdeen.

THere was also a Peter Livingston born abt. 1805 or 1806 residing in St Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen in the 1850's and 1860's but his death record from 1869 indicates that he was a son of James Livingston and Jane Johnson. What has caught my attention is that Peter and his wife Elizabeth Baxter were married in Inverurie in 1829 when your ancestor John Livingston and isabel Forbes was sill in Inverurie. John and isabel were apprarently still residing in Inverurie till about 1837 0r 1838 and by the early 1840's were in Aberdeen City. What is is then interesting is that by about 1842 or 1843 Peter Livingston leaves Inverurie and settles in the same district of Aberdeeen. Is this coincidence or not that it is the questions.

Peter livingston was born in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire and I assume he is connected with other Fifeshire Livingstons I have come across in the last several years. The FIfeshire Livingstons are an old Livingston family group as far as I can tell not related to the highland Livingstons of Western Argyllshire. Though by the 1800's Fifeshire Livingstons were a small family group compared to the highland Livingstons, interestingly two or three people who have contacted the forum over the years seem to be connected this old lowland Livingston family. I spend alot of time researching the highland Livingstons but always find it interesting to make note of other groups of smaller Livingston families that show up in Lowland Scotland in the 19th century records.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,

Although the birth records are missing for most of the children of John Livingston and Isabella Forbes on the basis of the Census and the one birth record of their son Charles one can guesstimate and come up with an approximate birth year. Here then is what I think we have:
John Livingston and Isabel Forbes married 1816 in Old Machar District, Aberdeen
Known Children of John Livingston or Levingston and Isabella Forbes
1. Charles Forbes Livingston b. 1818 Inverurie,Aberdeenshire d.April 21, 1877 Renfrew Parish, Renfrew County, Scotland m. Elizabeth Baxter 1846 in Aberdeen.
2. Nathaniel Livingston b. abt. 1826 or 1827 d. 1856 in St. Nicholas District, Aberdeen
3. Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1831 or 1832 in Aberdeenshire d. unknown
4. John Livingston b. abt. 1833 or 1834 in Aberdeenshire d. unknown
5. William Livingston b. abt. 1835 or 1836 in Aberdeenshire d. Unknown
6. Forbes Livingston b. abt. 1837? in Kintore, Aberdeenshire d. April 1, 1892 in Aberdeen

There is an obvious gap of almost a decade between the oldest (Charles Forbes Livingston and the next oldest from the 1841 census which was Nathaniel Livingston so I am wondering if there were other older children like Charles who had left home before the 1841 Scottish census was taken. Seems likely there were 3 or 4 others.

Not sure what happened to John Livingston or Levingston after the 1841 Census where he is residing with family in St. Clements District, Aberdeen but his wife or widow Isabella Levingston shows up by herself in the 1851 Census residing in St. Clements Parish, City of Aberdeen with her son Fortes (Forbes) Levingston.I think she is a widow by this point and her death records 5 yrs later in 1856 indicates she was a widow. Interestingly the age given for Isabella Levingston is 57 with gives a birth date of abt. 1797. I think that is incorrect. The information from the 1841 census was that she about 40 and born abt. 1801 is obviously some census takers sloopy error. They born in the 1790's to be sure. Census record unfortunately are not always a reliable source for deducing accurate birth dates, all I really get them for the most part is an approximate. I was hoping that John Livingston or Levingston would leave behind a detailed death record but it looks to me like he may have died before the year 1855 when detailed death information began to be collected which listed the names of the parents of the deceased. I thought if I could find it then I could establish who the parents of John Levingston were. Since it looks like Isabella husband died before 1851 it is not looking like I will be able to go any farther beyond John Livingston and Isabella Forbes in your Livingston line. This I think is your Livingston ancestral line:

1. John Livingston or Levingston b. between 1790 and 1800 m. Isabel Forbes b. between 1790 and 1800 Isabel born in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire according to 1851 Scottish census. Isabel died in 1856 in Aberdeen. John Levingston or Livingston seems to disappear from the records and I cant locate him in 1851 Census. Probably died before 1851. Wife Isabel referred to as a "Widow" in her 1856 death record.
2. William Livingston b. abt. 1835 or 1836 in Inverurie? Aberdeenshire and Margaret Angus (later Mrs James McCaie/Cay St. Nicholas District CIty of Aberdeen Unknown when William Livingston boiler maker died or what happened to him.
3. William Livingston b. abt. 1855 St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen d. 1932 Aberdeen m. Jane Doig b. 1857 m. 1876 Dundee, ANgus d. 1943 New Deer, Aberdeenshire.
4. Charlotte Livingston b. 1894 m. George Patrick Allen 1919 in Toronto

This is pretty much all that I found on your Livingston family.

regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,
This is a bit of surprise to me as it may be to you but I think I have found a significant clue which strongly suggests who the father and mother of John Livingston who was married to Isabella Forbes was. It also appears that Peter Livingston born abt. 1805 in Fifeshire and who was the other Livingston who also resided in Inverurie,Aberdeenshire as John and his wife Isabella Forbes did in the early 1800's before coming to Aberdeen city in the 1840's and dying in 1869 in St. Nicholas District may be a brother of John Livingston was married to Isabella Forbes. Peter Livingston born abt. 1805 in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire was married to Isabella Davidson of Kintore in 1829 in Inverurie who was born in Kintore which where one of John and Isabella's son was born. Later in the 1840's Peter and his family ended up Aberdeen just as did John Livingston's widow Isabella Forbes and most of her sons. THere are just too many coincidences here for Peter not to be an Uncle of Charlotte's Livingston grandfather. Peter died in 1869 in St Nicholas District, CIty of Aberdeen at the age of 64 and was a gardener among other things in his lifetime. His Parents according to his death entry were James Livingston and Jane Johnson. They may be from Fifeshire and not Aberdeenshire as Peter Livingston indicated in his 1851 Census information he was born abt. 1805 or 1806 in Strathmiglo Fifeshire. (THey are from Strathmiglo Fifeshire.( Yet another lead to check out.

His brother? John Livingston who married Isabella Forbes is only recorded in the 1841 Census. He appears he died sometime between 1841 and 1851 and the 1841 Census does not give a detailed information of the birth location of those censused. But if there is a chance that Peter Livingston who was married to Isabella Davidson in Inverary, Aberdeen in 1829 and who died in 1869 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen is John's younger brother I will check it out and get back to you on what I find regarding Peter Llivingston's parents James Livingston and Jane Johnson, whether they had a son John abt. the same age as William's father JOhn and whehter they turn up in the records in Fifeshire. More to follow later.

Well one lucky break. James Livingston and Jane Johnson's marriage entry still exists and sure enough it is Fifeshire and not Aberdeenshire as I suspected. Peter's family roots are definitely in Fifeshire at least as far back as we can go. Is he John of Inveruarie's brother? Well lets take it one step at a time.
Heres what we know about Peter Livingston's parents:
James Livingston and Jane Johnson married Nov. 20, 1797 in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire
Peter Livingston died age 64 and his death record 1869 St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen records his parents as being James Livingston and Jane Johnson. In the 1850's and 1860's Peter's and his sister in law Isabella Forbes (Mrs John Livingston's) family were the only two Livingston families residing in St. Clements and St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen.

What do we know about their son Peter Livingston of Aberdeen. Arrived in the City of Aberdeen by the early 1840's with his wife Isabella Davidson and eldest son James from their home in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. It is my suspicion that JOhn's younger brother Peter Livingston arrived a short time after John and Isabella Forbes in the early 1840's. I am not certain when John Livingston and Isabella Forbes arrived in St Clement District, Aberdeen but it must have sometime before they were recorded in the 1841 and the birth of their eldest son Forbes born in the late 1830's back in Inverarie.
PEter Livingston married Isabella Davidson in October of 1829 in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. From the 1851 Scottish census we can get a sense from his children birthplace info where and when the family was located in Inverurie and approximately when they located in the city of Aberdeenshire. The 1851 Census perhaps most significantly indicates that Peter Livingston was born in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire and is "possibly" of a old Fifeshire Livingston family and his wife Isabella in Kintore.
THese are some of the relevant census records I found for your Livingston kin from St. Clements and St. Nicholas, City of Aberdeen where the family resided in the 1840's, 1850's and 1860's.
John Levingston age 7
William Levingston age 5
Elizabeth Baxter age 35
Alexander Baxter age 14
James Baxter age 5
Anne Baxter age 2
( Son Charles Forbes Livingston born 1818 not in this census record. In 1846 he married Elizabeth Baxter I assume related to these Baxters listed.)

1851 Census St. Clements District, City of Aberdeen
Isabella Levingston age 57 b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire (Isabella Forbes) (Husband John Livingston is not listed so I assume he is no longer living)
Fortes (Forbes) Levingston age 15 b. Kentore, Aberdeenshire

Peter Livingston's story in Aberdeenshire records
Peter Livingston of Inverauie married Isabella Davidson of Kintore in 1829 in INverurie, Aberdeenshire INverurie is 16 miles from Aberdeen.

1841 Census St. Clements District, City of Aberdeen
Peter Levingston age 35
Isabel Levingston age 25
James Levingston age 10

1851 Census St. Clements District, City of Aberdeen,
Peter Livingston age 45 born Strathmiglo, Fifeshire
Isabella Livingston age 39 b. Kintore, Aberdeenshire
James Livingston age 10 b. Inverraray, Aberdeenshire (Inverurie actually)
Alexander Livingston age 8 Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
William Livingston age 2 Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire

John Levingston age 7
William Levingston age 5
Elizabeth Baxter age 35
Alexander Baxter age 14
James Baxter age 5
Anne Baxter age 2

Known Children of John Livingston or Levingston and Isabella Forbes
1. Charles Forbes Livingston b. 1818 Inverurie,Aberdeenshire d. April 21, 1877 Renfrew Parish, Refrew County, Scotlandk m. Elizabeth Baxter 1846
2. Nathaniel Livingston b. abt. 1826 or 1827 d. 1856 in St. Nicholas District, Aberdeen
3. Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1831 or 1832 in Aberdeenshire d. unknown
4. John Livingston b. abt. 1833 or 1834 in Aberdeenshire d. unknown
5.[*] William Livingston b. abt. 1835 or 1836 in Aberdeenshire d. Unknown (my best assumption is that this was Charlotte's mysterious grandfather)
6. Forbes Livingston b. abt. 1837 in Kintore, Aberdeenshire

And in 1861 Census in St. Nicholas District in Aberdeen we see Charles Forbes Livingston with his wife Elizabeth Baxter and family.
1861 Census St. Nicholas District, City of Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Charles Livingston or Levingston b. 1818 Inverness, Aberdeenshire occupation Ship
Elizabeth Livingston age 40 (Elizabeth Baxter)
John Livingston age 12
Isabella Livinsgton age 9
Charles Livingston age 2
Mary Livingston age 2 months
Forbes Livingston age 23 b. Kintore, Aberdeenshire occupation ship

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,

I have looked at the Strathmiglo Parish, Fife records and it is possible that John Livingston husband of Isabella Forbes and Peter Livingston who all lived in Aberdeen and before that Inveruarie, Aberdeenshire may be connected family wise and that John originated from Strathmiglo, Fife and both Peter and John could Possibly both be the sons of James Livingston and Jane Johnson of Strathmiglo, Fife and who were married there in 1797. I dont however have definite proof I should add that John Livingston is a brother of Peter Livingston who was the son of James Livingston and Jane Johnson of Strathmiglo Fifeshire. Just a theory based on circumstantial evidence. While there is unfortunately only no birth records for the children of James Livingston and Jane Johnson just the information of Peter's parents from his 1869 death at St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, all of the preceding information together suggests to me the likelihood this is all one family. THere were other Livingstons in the Strathmiglo parish records going back to around the beginning of the 1700's. A few families in the 1700's but not many making it look like they all descended likely from one family of Livingston in the early 1700's or late 1600's at Strathmiglo. There is no way of telling when this Livingston family, presumingly your Livingston family arrived in Strathmiglo just that the earliest Parish record I located was in 1702. Whether that is around when they first arrived or they were they were there in the 1600's and the information no longer exist I dont know for sure but what was clear from my search of the Strathmiglo Parish records was that there were a very small and almost certainly related group of Livingstons residing in Strathmiglo Parish from at least the early 1700's. Unfortunately I cant say how your Livingston family from Aberdeenshire are connected to them except probably through James Livingston and Jane Johnston. So here is what I believe is your ancestral line.

There are few thing we dont know but here is the best reconstruction based on what I did find out.

Your possible Livingston ancestral line based on all information so far gathered.
1. Livingston from Strathmiglo FIfeshire? likely lived in Strathmiglo in the early 1700s' b. around late 1600's or first decade of 1700's Name Unknown.
2 Livingston from Strathmiglo FIfeshire b. between 1730-1750? Don't know his name unfortunately.
3.James Livingston b.between 1770-1780? in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire ? m. Jane Johnson in Strathmiglo Parish in 1797 (believed to be parents of Peter and John? of Strathmiglo) (They are proven in the death records of Peter Livingston formerly St.clements and of St. Nicholas District, Aberdeen to be his parents) (Please not the Strathmiglo,Fifeshire connection of your Livingston is somewhat speculative in nature, but the information from John Livingston and Isabella Forbes and after that is reasonably sound.)

4.John Livingston born in the 1790's possibly in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire? or Aberdeenshire ? d. between 1841 and 1851 in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire married Isabella Forbes born abt. 1790 in Aberdeenshire d. August 18, 1856 in Aberdeen John Livingstone and Isabel Forbes were married April 13, 1816 in Old Machar District in City of Aberdeen.
5. William Livingston b. abt. 1835 probably in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire and Margaret Angus (Later Mrs James McCaie or McCay or Cay or Cail of St. Nicholas, City of Aberdeen ) (brother of Charles Forbes Livingston, Nathaniel and Forbes Livingston all who lived in Aberdeen in the 1840's and 1850's)
6. William Livingston b. abt. 1855 in St. Nicholas District, Aberdeen? d. 1932 in Aberdeen m. 1876 in Dundee, ANgus, Jane Doig b. 1857 in the year 1876 in Dundee, ANgus d. 1943 in New Deer, Aberdeenshire
7. Charlotte Livingston b.1894 in St.Nicholas District, Aberdeen married George Patrick Allen in 1919 in Toronto Ontario Canada

Hope this makes sense. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. There are obviously some things I could not find out but I think in many cases I was able work around them and still come up with your likely ancestral line as much as is possible. THere were other Livingston families in Fifeshire in the 1700's and before that so it is possible there is some connection between other Livingstons in other parishes in Fifeshire, but it would be difficult to link them precisely with your Fifeshire Livingstons. I have little doubt however that many of the old Fifeshire Livingston families could be related by back when. I think the forum has been contacted by Livingstons with Fifeshire roots two perhaps three times in the last ten years.I think I have found that some Livingstons whose origins are in FIfeshire may not even be aware of it. I spend most of my time focusing most of my research on the Western Argyll highland Livingston families and their origins but that is not to say the smaller less known groups like these old Fifeshire Livingston are any less interesting. More so I guess because I dont know very much of their lowland Livingston origins in Fifeshire and with other Livingstons in other lowland counties.

Ironically I find most of Williams brothers in Aberdeen in the 1851 and 1861 Census but no sign of William the brother the boiler maker and grandfather of your charlotte Livingston. Except for the 1841 Census where clearly Charles Forbes Livingston, Nathaniel and Forbes Livingston's brother William is listed as a boy of age 5 born abt. 1836 or perhaps 1835. Just an estimated age as census records arent always as accurate for ages as they ideally should be. Anyways we get a sense of how old he was compared to other brothers and sisters in the family. THe brother John listed in the 1841 census son of John Livingston and Isabel Forbes I have no idea what became of him after 1841. He is a mystery like his brother William who we have no census info after 1841. Did he die after or just before the birth of his son William or did he just decide he was too young to start a family and ended up in leaving Aberdeenshire and perhaps Scotland for the colonies. It is too easy to speculate but no one really knows what actually happened to Charlotte's grandfather. Could not find a death record or any further info beyond that in the 1841 Census in Aberdeen so it really remains one of those family history mysteries.

Finally this which I found by rechecking:
Marriage in Old Machar District City of Aberdeen
John Livingstone and Isabel Forbes both in this parish signified the purpose of marriage by Will Bathgate Elder and after being thrice proclaimed they were married April 13, 1816
So there you have at long last Charlotte's great-grandparent's marriage record.

I could not find Robert Forbe and Isabel Stewart said to be Isabella FOrbes parents in her 1856 death record but her 1851 census record states she born in Aberdeen (in the 1790's apparently). So John and Isabel Livingston married in the City of Aberdeen in 1816 and then ended up 16 miles away in Inverarie where their eldest child Charles Forbes Livingston was born in 1818. THe question is whether or not Peter Livingston's proximity in Inveruarie in the 1820's and then ending around the same time in St. Clements District where John Livingston's widow Isabel Forbes and her family resided in the 1840's was a coincidence. Seems unlikely they would live in two towns 16 miles apart at the same time and then settle in close proximity to one another in a district of Aberdeen just a few years apart. Anyways we know for certain that John Livingstone and Isabella Forbes are Charlotte's ancestors the rest is somewhat convincing but not as crystal clear as one would like. Still in theory it makes sense that John Livingston and Peter Livingston are brothers. In the end whatever the truth of the matter finding the info on John Livingston and Isabella Forbes and that family and connecting them to Charlotte certainly identified that family group pretty much.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,

This appears to be Isabel Forbes (Mrs john Livingston's) death record. I am not sure the correct age was given perhaps they did not know exactly. I knew there was a Stewart in her family because that name came up as middle name for one of the Livingstons.

Isabella Livingston in Aberdeen widow died August 18 1856 age 66 years born abt. 1790 parents Robert Forbes landed proprietor and Isabella Stewart By that I am assume he was land owner and not a tenant. I suspect his name was Charles Forbes and that is a mistake and just to confuse things a bit further there was apparently a Robert Forbes married to an Isabella Stewart in Perthshire, but it is pretty clear that Isabella Forbes family and Isabella was from Aberdeenshire or the Aberdeen area. I found from her census and other records establishing her true birth year challenging. The 1851 census has her born abt. 1794 and the 1841 Census about 1800. So bit of confusion there. I lean to the notion that she was born in 1790 and baptized in 1791 in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire not far from Inverurie and the city of Aberdeen. She may have actually been born in Aberdeen and then subsequently baptised in Strathdon where I suspect her Forbes family lived.

The 1856 death record stated Isabella's parents were Robert Forbes and Isabella Stewart but I think that may be an error. There was a Bell Forbes or Isabel Forbes baptized June 18, 1791 at Strathdon west of Inverurie which is north west of Aberdeen who the daughter of Charles Forbes of Achernach and Isabella Stewart. When I looked up "Achernach I found out it is the name of an estate in Strathdon Parish with lavish manor built in 1809. Also you might be interested in knowing that Strathdon Parish is the ancestral home of Clan Forbes. It is also interesting that in Isabella Forbes death record her father although referred to probably mistakenly as Robert Forbes her father was stated as having been a "landed proprietor". Bur Iam pretty certain Isabellas fathers name was actually Charles Forbes. The fact that Isabella's daughter Catharine Livngston who was a witness in the death record stated her mothers mother was Isabella Stewart which is correct and the fact that Isabella Livingstons first born was named Charles Forbes Livingston . I think also perhaps the person recording it got it wrong when he put down Isabellas father as Robert Forbes.

The 1791 baptism date would also best explain the death age of Isabella Livingston in Aberdeen at 66 yrs. That would explain her stated age in the 1856 death record of about 66 yrs and the fact that Isabella was married in Aberdeen, lived with husbnd John Livingston for a number of years after their 1816 marriage in Inverurie a little west of Strathdon. The River Don which is near to Stratdon flows into Aberdeen apparently. The other reason I think Charles Forbes and not RObert Forbes was Isabella's father was that Isabella and John Livingston's first child born in Inverurie close to Strathdon was Charles Forbes Livingston. And of course Charles Forbes Livingston born 1818 named one of his sons William Stewart Livingston the Stewart name coming from Charles Forbes of Strathdon's wife Isabella Stewart.

According to her 1856 death record Isabella was buried in the Spital Burying Ground, Aberdeen I think her son Nathaniel Livingston was buried in St. Peters Burial ground in Aberdeen. There are apparently cemetery records kept by the City of Aberdeen. They may be online. I was not sure. I found a site but I have not checked it out. You can apparently send away for copies of the original records if they have them. I dont know about that. If they were buried in a simple grave there may be no stone remaining. In any event the death entry mentioned their place of burial which was helpful. I am surprised they were not buried in the same cemetery in Aberdeen. I wonder why?

As an interesting footnote to this, Isabella's son Charles Forbes Livingston named his eldest child born in 1846 William Stewart Livingston and now we know where the Stewart came from it was the maiden name of Isabel Forbes mother who was Isabel Stewart before she married Robert Forbes.

I have updated some of the posts from time to time when updating was deemed necessary so you might want to re check them again for the important updates where they occurred. Obviously lots for you to look over in the future at your leisure. Much to consider and mull over. Some things are clear others not so crystal clear I think. All the best in your Livingston family research endeavours.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,

I noticed in the marriage record of Isabella's son Charles Forbes Livingston mention of a Stewart probably a relative.
Aberdeen City
Charles Forbes Livingston Wood sawyer of Fisherow married Elizabeth Baxter daughter of the Alexander Baxter Whitefisher in Aberdeen on October 17th 1846 Minister was Reverend John Robin of North Esk Church in Fisherow. Witnesses: Edward Tait and William Stewart both Sawyers in Fisherow.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,

The information on Charlotte's grandmother Mrs William Livingston (Jane Doig) looks pretty straightforward. As previously mentioned Jane Livingston widow of WIlliam Livingston Plasterer (abt. 1855 - 1932) she died February 26, 1943 in New Deer,Aberdeenshire. Parents listed in the death records were Thomas Doig and Elizabeth McKenzie. Recently I found her birth record in the 1850's. She was recorded as Jean Doig, Jane and Jean being one and the same as Scottish names go and Jean Doig was born April 22, 1857 in the Parish of Primnay in Aberdeenshire. Parents listed were Thomas Doig and Elzabeth McKenzie. Primnay Parish is about 29 miles north west of Aberdeen.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,
In the later years there is John Livingston and Isabella Forbe's youngest son Forbes Livingston residing in St. Nicholas District, Aberdeen. He died in 1892 in St. Nicholas District, Aberdeen.
He married May Fiddes in Dundee, ANgus on APril 27, 1870
1891 Census St. Nicholas District Aberdeen
Forbes Livingston age 53 born Inverurie, Aberdeenshire b. abt. 1837 or 1838 occupation Ship wright
May Livingston age 45 born Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Forbes Livingston age 21 born Dundee occupation Boiler maker
Catharine Livingston age 16 aberdeen
John Livingston age 14 boy in Boiler Shop
Elizabeth Livingston age 12
Isabella Livingston age 10
Williamina Livingston age 8
May Livingston age 9 months

What I find interesting about this census info is that both Forbes Jr. and his brother John work in an Aberdeen boiler shop. Interesting that Charlotte's father William Livingston stated in his 1876 marriage record that his father WIlliam Livingston had been a boiler maker.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,

If you are really motivated to do a search for your Livingston ancestors there is a lead from the Isabella Livingston's 1856 death record that she was buried in the Spital burying grounds in Aberdeen. Isabella Livingston died August 18, 1856 Perhaps her husband John Livingston who probably died sometime between 1841 and 1851 is buried there as well. Her son Nathaniel is buried in St. Peters Burying ground. SPital Burying ground is apparently the oldest section of St. Peter's Burial Ground.

The City of Aberdeen has a collection of the burial Records of the Spital Church yard and St. Peters Cemetery.

BR/SP/4-30 Fond number to request
Burial register 1769-1946

BR/SP/32 Fond Number to request
Index to BRSP/4-7 (1830-1860) Request this index or for someone to look into the index for you to find Isabella, husband John and possibly son William.
This index would be useful as Isabella died in 1856 and her husband who died sometime between 1841 and 1851 may have been buried in the Spital or St. Peters burial ground with Isabella. Also it is possible that their son William Livingston the boiler maker and grandfather of Charlotte Livingston that I cant find anywhere may be buried here during that time period.

regards,

Donald