Canadian Livingstones

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Isobel Carroll

Canadian Livingstones

Post by Isobel Carroll »

Wrote JLivingstone that Canadian Livingstones not mine. WRONG!! Glasgow Researcher indicates Duncan Livingstone b. 1816 is, FOR CERTAIN, my Grandfather. Found his death cert. d. 1890, Tain, Aberdeen area. Now trying to learn his father, another Dugald? Duncan?

Very happy to belong. Resurrected Margaret's picture from drawer and smile to see her.
Hope I hear from whomever it was I turned down. Regrets.
isobel livingston carroll
melbourne florida
jmlivingstone

Re: Canadian Livingstones

Post by jmlivingstone »

Isobel,

Not sure if you are referring to my post on 01 May 2013, under the heading Canadian Livingstone Kin, if so, I would suggest you have a closer look at the contents, I took the info straight from Family Search, but made no comment on the accuracy of the attached info.
Para 2 of the Family Search info, appears to be very similar to your family, eg. Duncan born 1816.

John
Isobel Carroll

Post by Isobel Carroll »

Dear John,
As I may have mentioned previously, have Frank McLeod's copy of OPR's and discounted it due to Canadian indication, but several times Glasgow comes back that this Duncan 1816 is mine and only Margaret and 2 daughters left for Canada.
Duncan appears in marriage lines, etc. for my G.Granfather Dugald b. 1843 (1840 some records) in Killin.
Too many matches to ignore I feel.
Hope you agree.
Did share your May info with researcher. Their results seem firm....
I like it.
God Bless
isobel
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Isobel,

If you use Ancestry, there is an account with the name paulascott190, who appears to be researching the same family as yourself,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Isobel,

I came across some info in Family Search, that you may want to have a look at;

1. Duncan Livingstone, christened 18 Nov.1816 at Lismore, parents Dugald Livingstone & Margaret McCallum.

2. Dugald Livingstone, christened 22 Dec. 1777 at Lismore, parents Duncan Livingstone & Mary Black.

3. Dugald Livingstone, 1841 census, age 55 years, resident Lismore.

4. Family of Dugald Livingstone & Margaret McCallum;

Mary, c. 16 Sept. 1812. Lismore.
John, c. 17 Sept. 1814, Lismore.
Duncan, c. 18 Nov. 1816, Lismore.
Jean, c. 29 Nov. 1818, Lismore.
Euphemia, c. 12 Apr. 1821, Lismore.

I know you said your Livingstones' came from Shian, but, as North & South Shian are a very short distance from Lismore, & there does not appear to be another couple with the correct names, it may be worth further research into the above folk.

John
Isobel Carroll

Post by Isobel Carroll »

Am convinced the two you mentioned Duncan 1816 and Dugald 1777 are mine. So are Glasgow and Ancestry - good enough for me.

In sydney some 13 years ago found Isobel Livingston in phone book. Had to write. Wrong family. Rather left it there, but now am more than determined....and several researchers agree as well as letter from mine to your family from Garngad Rd. telling of Donald's passing.

Will check on the site you mentioned on Ancestry.
Thanks much
Isobel Carroll

Post by Isobel Carroll »

John,
Poked around Ancestry but didn't locate the Paulascotti site you mentioned. More hints?
You mentioned distances in your Post. Duncan was 'from' Argyll, west coast, married on east coast. Might have been in Glasgow at the time, but am trying to figure transport one coast to another in 1838....interesting, no? My total admiration to Margaret leaving 'hame' and going to Canada. Brave lady.
Thank you
isobel
P.S. Had DNA done, found Mother's kin, one remote Livingston I haven't contacted..
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Isobel,

If you go to search, then public members trees, then type in Dugald & Margarets names, you should get quite a few sites on them.

Distances in Scotland, Shian to Glasgow around 139 miles down the west coast, & Shian to Inverness around 110 miles, I have no idea how long it would have taken in the 1800`s, I suppose at least 3 to 4 days minimum, possibly longer,

John.
Isobel Carroll

Post by Isobel Carroll »

Dear John,
Am happy with search so far. Question to you re: your question was...how to read the Paulascotti site you mentioned. Did not have successful look there.
Did mention now have Duncan's death certif. Know he's mine.
Love it.
God Bless
isobel
Druske

Post by Druske »

Charlotte Livingstone

Good evening. Thank you so much for adding me to your site. I am very excited to start poking around the site, I hope to find something on my GGrandmother Charlotte Livingstone. Charlotte is the brick wall in my family as I have heard the following hints with no luck on putting them all together despite memberships to Ancestry, etc.

*dob June 10, 1895
*parents William and Jane Livingstone (as found on Charlotte's marriage cert)
*from Aberdeen Scotland (family rumour mill)
*last name at birth may have been Doige (not sure of spelling)
*may have been raised in other families due to a fire at the family farm
*brother Thomas in Blackwatch (another family rumour) - I found WW1 records for a Thomas Livingstone that matches this description but with no real leads as to parentage
*may also have had a sister named Margaret
*found Charlotte in 1919 trying to cross the Ontario border into the USA with her illegitimate son Douglas Livingstone (1)
They were debarred (this was super exciting as it is the first crumb I found aside from her marriage certificate)
*Charlotte married George Patrick Allen in 1919 in Ontario, Canada
*Charlotte passed away in Ontario in 1978

I'd LOVE to find evidence of Charlotte's birth, her coming to Canada, and in that her parentage.

If this sounds familiar to anyone I'd love to learn more. Thank you so much for your time.

Robin Drew