Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone of ArdmurchanArgyll and Australia

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone of ArdmurchanArgyll and Australia

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Terry,
Hope you see this message in the near future.
I was looking at your ancestral line today and your forum postings from 2011 and 2009 and I later today saw some Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone of Australia info on line during a search which I hadnt seen before and wanted to make sure you had seen it also.

I noticed today that the State Library of New South Wales, Australia has a website which includes a manuscript, oral history and picture collection that included a letter and an excellent late 19th century photograph from a Janet Thorpe sent to the Public Library in New South Wales way back in 1947 pertaining to your ancestor Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone. She knew all the family in the picture and I think she said she was in it. This lady was a relative of your ancestor Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone born 1854 in Swordley Chorrack, Ardnamurchan, Argyllshire who settled in AUstralia in 1879 and related to his wife's Sanderson family I think. She submitted an old photo of Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone taken around 1893 in front of his general store with family at Mullumbimby, Australia. She also included information in her accompanying letter indentifying who everyone was in the photo. Hugh is standing beside a horse drawn cart. Also includes some family history info as wel in the included letter. You may have seen this before, but I thought I should make certain you had. Something like this should prove to be of great value to anyone researching Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone. All and all a great old photo of an Australian family that Mrs Thorpe in 1947 wisely thought should be preserved for future generations.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone ArdnamurchanArgyll and Austra

Hi Terry,

I was looking at the 1871, 1881, 1891 Scottish census info for your ancestor Hugh Livingstone who was Hugh Diarmid Livingstone's father. Youve probably looked at this all before, but I thought I would check out what the basic info on Hugh Sr. was in these later census records.

The 1871 Census records Hugh Levingston as residing at Port of Monteith, Perthshire Milling cottage born abt. 1811 in Ardnamurchan, Argyll occupation Shepherd. With his wife Catharine and other family members is Hugh Jr. who is listed as age 16 born Ardnamurchan which places his birth date at about 1855 or 1854 which just about right for Hugh Diarmid Livingstone.

The 1881 Census records Hugh Livingstone as residing at Port of Menteith, Perthshire Milling cottage born abt. 1817 at Glenmore, Argllshire occupation shepherd. Interestingly it also lists a daughter Anne age 30 as being born at Glenmore which is in Ardnamurchan. It is certainly helpful to your research that the 1881 Census is more specific as to where precisely in Ardnamurchan Hugh Livingstone Sr. was born and that of his daughter Anne who was born apparently in the 1850's. It confirms that the Livingstons resided at Glenmore in the 1850's and prior to that. I realize have done extensive research on the Glenmore family connection, but it was interesting to see the clue in the 1881 Census. Now I know that your info was that Hugh Jr. was in Australia by 1879, but interestingly I have located in the 1881 Census a Hugh Livingstone born abt. 1855 or 1854 in Ardnamurchan a single man residing in Comrie Parish , Perthshire . There would not likely be too many Hugh Livingstones in Perthshire born around 1855 or 1854 in Ardnamurchan, Argyllshire probably. I suspect he does not appear in the subsequent 1891 Census and I am wondering if it is possible this is your ancestor who may have left for Australia around 1881 rather than 1879?

The 1891 Census is most interesting and very helpful to your research. Hugh Livingstone born abt. 1816 Ardnamurchan unemployed is residing at the Port of Menteith, Perthshire Milling Cottage with his wife Catharine interestingly recorded as Catharine Mc Diarmid. You dont often find the wife recorded with her maiden name in a census record so that is quite helpful. So there is little doubt that the Hugh Livingstone Shepherd and his wife Catharine resding at the Milling Cottage, Port of Menteith, Perthshire and recorded in the 1871,1881 and 1891 census in this location are infact the parents of your ancestor Hugh McDiarmid LIvingstone. In the 1891 Census Hugh and Catharine Livingston are residing with a Graham and her children. I suspect a daughter who married a Graham lived with them at this time.

Finally last night I looked at a death record from the year 1900 recorded in the Port of Menteith. I noticed however some descrepancies in the information that your researchers may have found puzzling as well. We know that Hugh Sr. was alive and well and living in Port of Menteith in 1891 from the census of that year. Looking beyond that year in the death records I found that there was entry in 1900 for a Hugh Livingstone shepherd age 93 who died October 23, 1900 in Port of Menteith. The age is clearly at odds with the census info for your Hugh Livingstone and the wife is recorded as Catharine Menzies. Parents for Hugh are listed as Angus Livingstone and Margaret McDonald. Interestingly the witness was a son in law Peter Graham. Given that there was a Graham family residing with your Hugh and Catharine at the Milling Cottage in Port of Menteith I am wondering if this is your ancestors death entry and someone got some of the family info wrong. It is possible that there were two elderly retired shepherds in Port of Menteith named Hugh Livingstone who had wife named Catharine and had family with name Graham but it would be a coincidence if so and dont see this other elderly Hugh Livingstone in the census records for the Port of Menteith which makes fairly certain this is your ancestors death read which may have some errors in information recorded at the time of his death in 1900. Clearly Hugh's wife was Catharine Mc Diarmid and not Catharine Menzies. The name of Hugh's parents may also be wrong, though you mention that you had determined that the name of the Hugh Senior's father was Angus Livingston. The son in law apparently gave the information so he could have been misinformed about the details.

The 1841 Census records record an ANgus Livingston b. abt. 1771 and his wife Ann residing at Glenmore, Ardnamurchan as you mentioned so I agree they certainly are in the right place at the right time in the Ardnamurchan parish records and seem to be probably Hugh Livingston Senior's parents. If that 1900 death record is infact that of your ancestor Hugh Livingston sr and since this record has the maiden name of Hugh's wife wrong as I mentioned, then it stands to reason that the same person could of had the name of Hugh's father's wife wrong on Hugh Senior's death in 1900. I mean he also got his age at the time of his death wrong as well.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone of Australia

Hi All,

Interestingly, we have at least two Livingstones with the Parker Livingstone dna group who have an ancestral connection to two different Livingston families that lived in the 19th century in Port of Monteith or Menteith Perthshire and have an apparent connection to highland Livingstones from Western Argyll. In some cases information in the census records such as in the case of Hugh Livingston shows that he was born in Argyll for others however the census and parish records in Perthshire did not show a connection to Argyllshire. Never the less it should be noted that Argyll residents went to Perthshire in the 1700's as they did in Lanarkshire looking for better employment opportunities. I noticed in a history of Perthshire I stumbled across a few years ago this migration was mentioned. In the case of Hugh Livingston we can see that his family is good example of a Argyll family who apparently ended up a mill cottage in the Port of Monteith Perthshire and possibly the other lIvingston family our clan the ended up in Port of Monteith for the same reasons. In any event it is interesting that we have at least two Livingston families that we know of that resided in 19th century Port of Monteith in Perthshire. In the case of Hugh Livingston b. 1811 and his wife Catharine McDiarmid were married in 1842 in Glenmore, Ardnamurchan, Argyll and sometime between 1861 and 1871 ended up in Port of Monteith, Perthshire where Hugh was a shepherd but apparently lived with his family in a mill cottage for mill workers? I noticed in the 1861 Census Hugh Sr. and family were still residing in Ardnamurchan, Argyll. THeir son Hugh Livingston jr. born in Swordley Chorrack Ardnamurchan, Argyll left Scotland in the 1870's for Australia. See earlier postings.

The other Livingston family that of WIlliam Livingston resided in Port of Monteith and Pertshire apparently prior to 1800 though it quite likely that William's father or grandfather probably came from Argyllshire in the 1700's to Perthshire. William Livingston and the family of his wife Elizabeth Bremner left Perthshire and came to Upper Canada in the 1820's

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,
I have noticed a few people over the years who are researching and are related to Hugh McDiarmid Livingston Jr. 1854-1937 including a Terry Livingstone and Graham David Livingstone. I believe most of them reside in Australia.
Hugh Livingston and Catharine's McDiarmid's son Hugh McDiarmid Livingston born abt. 1854 in Ardnamurchan, Argyll settled in Australia in the 1879. THe Archives of New South Wales in Australia has it's collection of some items related to Hugh McDiarmid Livingston including a rare photo of him and his family outside his store in Australia.

Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone Farmer died May 18, 1937 in Queensland New South Wales.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

Given a recent visitation from another descendant of an Ardnamurchan Livingston I thought I should take a look at an earlier posting of mine related to earlier Ardnamurchan Livingstons that have contacted the forum in years past.

Donald
Cameron Livingstone

Re: Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone of ArdmurchanArgyll and Austr

Post by Cameron Livingstone »

Hi Donald

I'm guessing you are referring to me and I do find this thread interesting as my John Livingstone who married Katherine McIntyre was it appears from Glenmore. I'm currently working on his family and will be seeking your support again!! However a question for you arising from this thread and my current work. Is there anyway of obtaining from Scotland's people or Ancestry a list of all the people living in a parish on a particular census ? I. E I would like to know the names of all people in 1841 living in say Glenmore or Orsaimbeg for example? Can this be done without extortionate payments to Scotland People ?

In addition do you know the name of a place in Ardnamurchan in the early 1800's that ends ' o phallain' ?

Malcolm
Canadian Livingstone

Note: Update
Sorry Malcolm I did not see that birth record of Duncan Livingston which stated he was born in Glenmore as you alluded to in your previous post. I am familiar with that birth record now. So I think it clear that the earliest record of your Livingstons in Ardnamurchan Parish connects your Livingstons to Glenmore. So we are on the same page now on that fact.

regards,

Donald

Hi Malcolm,
No and I am sorry to say not too familiar with Ardnamurchman settlements beyond Glenmore, Ormsaigmore, Kilchoan and Corevullin, Glenbeg and Kilmory and Ocle Point in the part of Ardnamurchan. I run into an number old settlements every now and then in Western Argyllshire with old scottish gaelic names and sometimes I can locate them or find alternative spellings but often their location completely escapes me.

The earliest census info for Ardnamurchan in the 19th century is from 1841 but the parish records dating from the late 18th century indicate there were a significant number of Livingstons connected to Glenmore. If we find a Livingston cousin of yours interested in participating in the Clan Maclea Livingstone DNA project we should be easily able to confirm how closely related your Livingstons and those of Angus and his son Hugh Livingston Sr. connected to the Glenmore Livingstons. I am inclined to think it quite likely your Duncan Livingston who lived at Ormsaigmore was related to the Glenmore Livingstons but the familytreedna Y chromosome test of a Livingston cousin would either prove or disprove a connection. The familytreedna testing of several Livingstons descended from nearby Mull and neighbouring Morvern where my Livingstons came from and the one Livingston with roots to Glenmore, Ardnamurchan and later Swordlee Chorrack, Ardnamurchan indicates that most Mull, Morvern and possibly Ardnamurchan Livingstons descended from a one Maclea Livingstone ancestor a number of centuries ago in Western Argyllshire and I suspect of test of one of your Livingston cousins somewhere out there would indicate that your Ardnamurchan Livingstons are also a part of this predominate Western Argyll Livingston ancestral group. While I find interesting researching the many different Maclea-Livingston families from Mull, Morvern elsewhere in Western Argyll, learning about their Livingston families, I personally find it an even more exciting prospect that many Livingstons with family roots in Mull, Morvern neighbouring Ardnamurchan and other locations in Western Argyll may share a common ancestor a number of centuries ago. What I am helping to discover is what looks like one big Maclea Livingston family group.

I set up these posts here to inform the earlier Glenmore later Swordley Chorrack Ardnamurchan Livingstons that we had been contacted by someone else with Ardnamurchan Livingston ancestry according to the 1841 Census connected to Ormsaigmore. There is a good chance your Livingstons in Ormsaigmore were related to the Glenmore Livingstons but until we test a Livingston cousin of yours we cannot be certain of that.
These are the Livingstons in Ardnamurchan in the 1841 Census
There is one Livingston residence in Ormsegmore (Ormsaigmore) Ardnamurchan in the 1841 Scottish Census
1.Duncan Livingston age 30 Shepherd
Mary Livingston age 30
Allan Livingston age 12 (your ancestor)
Archibald Livingston age 10
Peggy Livingston age 8
Mary Livingston age 6
Anne Livingston age 4
Catharine Livingston age 2

There is a Livingston residing also in Ormsegmore with a McKenzie family
2.John McKenzie age 65
Mary Mckenzie age 35
Jessie McKenzie age 6
Mary Mckenzie age 1
Catharine McKenzie age 1
John Livingston age 40
City McPherson age 26

Glenmore Livingstons
1.Angus Livingston age 70 agricultural labourer (Father of Hugh Livingston Sr. husband of Catharine McDiarmid who were married Oct. 1842 Residence listed: Glenmore)
Ann Livingston age 60
Janet Livingston age 15

2.Maysay Livingston age 30
Mary Livingston age 25
Donald Livingson age 1

Correvulin Livingtons
1.Angus Livingston age 40 Agricultural labourer
Anne Livingston age 40
Donald Livingston age 13
Catharine Livingston age 10
Archibald Livingston age 8
Duncan Livingston age 7

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

Here is some specific info and photos, rare old maps that included Swordlee Chorrack showing that it near Kilmory on the north coast of Ardnamurchan. The Hugh Livingston family of Ardnamurchan origin that settled in Australia was connected to both Glenmore and Swordlee Chorrack.

http://kilchoan.blogspot.ca/p/a-history-of-swordle.html

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Malcolm,

This article has some excellent old OS maps detailing Ormsaigmore, Ardnamurchan.

http://kilchoan.blogspot.ca/p/ormsaigmore.html

O.S. Map 1872 with detailed map of Ormsaigmore, Ardnamurchan National Library of Scotland
According to the 1841 Scottish Census your ancestor Duncan Livingston a shepherd was located at Ormsaigmore with his family including his son your ancestor Allan Livingston

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74427306

Duncan Livingston residence in Ormsegmore (Ormsaigmore) Ardnamurchan in the 1841 Scottish Census
1.Duncan Livingston age 30 Shepherd
Mary Livingston age 30
Allan Livingston age 12 (your ancestor)
Archibald Livingston age 10
Peggy Livingston age 8
Mary Livingston age 6
Anne Livingston age 4
Catharine Livingston age 2

It looks however like Ormsaigmore is just one of a number of settlements in Ardnamurchan that Duncan and the family had lived at since the 1820's. The early baptism records of the children of Duncan in the 1820's suggest that Duncan was at Corevullin and a few other settlements in Ardnamurchan.
And sometime before the 1851 Census, Duncan and family moved out of Ormsaigmore, Ardnmurchan to a croft with 3 acres at Kilmallie Parish, Argyll. In 1861 DUncan and family still at Kilmallie Croft no. 6 Trislaig (Treslaig) near Fort William, Inverness-shire.

regards,

Donald