John Livingstone,Chief Officer of Coastguards

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: John Livingstone,Chief Officer of Coastguards

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
True enough. I have made an ungoing effort over the years to determine if there is any common historical origins amongst our dna group such as a shared connection to Mull or neighbouring Movern and for a good number in our group that has been proven to be the case looking at the family history info. Without being an expert on the science of dna the fact that the most distant Livingstone connected to my livingstone cousin is a surprising genetic distance of six tells me the branch of the macleas of western Argyll of which we stem from was predominate in the area and is at least several centuries old. FTDNA while not able to give me a precise timeline definitely suggests that the distance between two Livingstones one with 67 markers distance of 6 is several generations or more. Thus the shared ancestor between my Livingstone cousin and that of those Livingstones with 67 markers distance of 6 must of been at least several centuries ago I would suspect. There are of course other Livingstons who are significantly closer indicating a more recent shared Maclea Livingstone ancestors in Argyllshire.

That is interesting that you live so close to the home of John Livingstone.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
The 1901 Scottish census I think I should note also confirms that John Livingston was born in 1825. He is recorded in that census as being 75 years of age in 1901 and born at Greenock, Renfrewshire. It is likely that he was 75 going on 76 at the time of the census. Close enough to the 1825 date from the original Greenock birth record. This is definitely the John Livingston who died in 1906 and son of Christian Black and Hugh Livingston I believe rather John Livingston Sr. THere is no record of a John Livingston and Christian Black in the 1820's parish records but several of a Hugh Livingston and Christian Black with a son John born in 1825. Just to be certain I checked the original ledger page and it is clearly inscribed with the year 1825 clearly written so there can be doubt of that. I cant explain the contrary 1828 information but the man in the 1901 Census, the one who died in 1906 and the one born in 1825 at Greenock according to well documented info to a Hugh Livingston and Christian Black I believe is one and the same. This certainly has been a difficult one and somewhat confusing to be sure. I saw that information regarding his apparent service during the 1850's Crimean War. Interesting that the "other Angus Livingston who settled in Cape Breton in 1816 or 1819 a naval veteran served aboard another vessel called The ROyal George" during the Napoleonic War. The Royal George which this Angus Livingston served on was involved was one of ships of the Channel fleet involved in the defence of the Channel against attacks by Napoleon's war ships. Following the end of the Napoleonic wars, this Angus petitioned the Crown for land on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. I found out there were several vessels in the 1700's and 1800's bestowed with the name "Royal George".

regards,

Donald

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I forgot to say where I got the additional material on the family of John, it was from the following source;

www.inverclyde.gov.uk., Then type in deaths in keywords,it used to have the heading BMD Index, for some reason it has been renamed Intimations,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Thanks I will check that out.
regards,
Donald