Daniel & Mary Livingstone, Michigan

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Daniel & Mary Livingstone, Michigan

Post by jmlivingstone »

The 1870 US census has the following;

Daniel Livingstone, age 44, occ. engineer, b. abt 1824 Scotland.

Mary Livingstone, age 42, b. abt. 1828 Scotland.

Jane, age 17, b. abt. 1853 Scotland, possibly married someone called Thompson.

Kate, age15, b. abt. 1855 Scotland.

Junetta & Lizzie, age 12, b. abt. 1858 Scotland.

Daniel, age 10, b. abt. 1860 Scotland.

Thomas, age 6, b. abt. 1864 Michigan.

David McKay, age 25, b. abt. 1845 Ireland.

The 1880 census has a g/daughter named as Annie Aldrich.

John
jmlivingstone

Re: Daniel & Mary Livingstone, Michigan

Post by jmlivingstone »

From Alisa.

Thank you John, Junetta as it says on the census is not the right spelling. Her name is Jennie. She later became Mrs. George W King. I have one more document that might be of some help. Not a good image but here is an article about John and Lizzie Brownlee's wedding from the Saginaw News 1/7/1884. Though I have looked I have not been able to find the Laramie City paper it was taken from. FYI I have one more old photograph of John Brownlee, Lizzie Brownlee and my Great Grandma Ruby when she was a small child. It was taken at a portrait studio in Salt Lake City. If anyone would like to see it, I will do my best to get an image.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Alisa,
Its great that you were able to make the connection between the family of Daniel Livingston the Scottish engineer of East Saginaw, Michigan recorded in the 1870 U.S. Census and Lizzie (Livingston) Brownlee daughter of Daniel Livingston located in that 1880's newspaper clipping from Laramie, Wyoming. This definitely is a challenging Livingston family to research.

There may perhaps be another explanation regarding the Blantyre connection to your Daniel Livingston that we probably should consider. Last night I took another look at Daniel's possible family origins and I realize that I may have overlooked another credible possibility that your Daniel as well as a Daniel Livingston and his wife Mary Ridell of Blantyre Works who had a Neil born abt. 1819 in Blantyre parish according to old parish records might be connected an old Glasgow City/Gorbals Livingston family that predates Dr. Livingstones grandfather Neil Livingston and his family that did not arrive in Lanarkshire before the year 1792. A search of the parish records from 1750 to 1854 shows a huge and unusual number of children named Daniel Livingston born in Glasgow City and neighbouring Gorbals during those years. Apparently in such cases the name Daniel must have been of some significance to 18th century Livingstons of Glasgow. Also of interest is that Thomas Livingtons show up in early records there together with Daniel Livingstons. I could not help but notice that Daniel named his first son Daniel and second son Thomas both associated with 18th century naming patterns of the old Glasgow City Livingstons.

I dont know that Daniel Livingston and Janet of Blantyre Works are Daniel parents but I would wager that they are related. I assume this other Daniel was born in the 1790's in the Glasgow area. I am presenting this as just one theory and not as fact but I dont really know for certain whom Daniel's parents were but this is one other possible origin of your Daniel. THere were at least 6 Livingston families based upon the Blantyre Parish birth records that probably resided in Blantyre from 1810 to 1828 including Dr. Livingstone's parents Neil Livingston Jr. and his wife Agnes Hunter. I dont for certain the origins of the other 5 Livingston families by I assume that his older Daniel Livingston and wife Mary Riddell of Blantyre Works who had a son Neil born abt. 1819 likely found that there was work at Blantyre perhaps at the Monteith family mill but were connected to the old Glasgow family. Your Daniel's connection to this older Daniel residing at Blantyre in the early 1800;s whether a son or nephew seems probable given that your Daniel Livingston of Carstairs Lanarkshire occupation Engineer states in the 1851 Scottish census that he was born at "Blantire" presumingly around 1826 or1827. As mentioned this Daniel livingston was apparently recently married to a woman named Catharine and they had a daughter named
Mary I suspect remarried sometime before leaving for America to woman named Mary which is the name of his Scottish wife in America.

His birth or baptismal record however does exist in the Blantyre Parish records but it may just have not been recorded for one reason or another. Given this older Daniel probably a relative of some sort was at Blantyre around the time your Daniel Livingston was born in Lanarkshire there is no reason not to believe that Daniel was actually a native of Blantyre as he states in the 1851 Scottish Census. What I am not so certain is whether or not he was 100 per cent certain he a cousin or distant cousin of Dr. Livingstone. Having been born in Blantyre years earlier it would be natural for Daniel or anyone connected to other Livingston families that resided in Blantyre parish or Blantyre Works to suspect a possible family connection to Dr. Livingstone who born in Blantyre in 1813.

These were the 6 Livingstone families based on the parish records of Blantyre that I assume resided in the Blantyre area in the early 1800's including Dr. Livingstone's parents. Given that fact that all these Livingston families are apparently residing in Blantyre parish or residing in Blantyre Works it has been suspected that there is a possible connection to Dr. Livingstone's family and there has been some research into but I am not 100 per cent certain of a connection of these families to Dr. Livingstone's family to state that as a fact.
Livingston families circa early 1800's who apparently resided in Blantyre Parish during that time.
1. Neil Livingston jr. native of the Isle of Ulva, Argyllshire in the Mull area and his wife Agnes Hunter (Dr. Livingstone's parents) Dr. Livingstone's Grandparents Neil Livingston Sr and Mary Morrison arrived with their children in the Blantyre Lanarkshire from their highland croft on Isle of Ulva, Argyllshire in 1792 where Neil sr. found work at the Blantyre Mill of the Monteith family.
2. Donald Livingston and Catharine Livingston arrived sometime before 1811
3. Donald Livingston and Margaret Millar arrived sometime before 1823
4. Duncan Livingston and Elizabeth Laurie arrived sometime before 1828
5. Donald Livingston and Janet Grant arrived sometime before 1826
6. Daniel Livingston b.1790s Glasgow area? and Mary Ridell arrived sometime before 1819

I hope this is of some help to your family research. I thought I should pass on to you this strong predominance of the name "Daniel" and to a lesser degree Thomas of the old Glasgow City Livingstons and some of those in neighbouring Gorbals Parish just so you could be informed of a possible alternative origin to your Daniel than the one you are considering. As I said the old Livingston Glasgow/Gorbals family connection is by no means proven.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ALisa,

To recap here was the Daniel Livingston from the Scottish Census of 1851 which I thought might possibly be your ancestor.
Carstairs, Carstairs Parish, Lanarkshire 1851 Scottish Census
Daniel Livingston age 25 born "Blantire" presumingly Blantyre, Lanarkshire occupation "engine driver" *
wife Catharine age 23 ( I wondering if this was your Daniel's first wife and he sometime after 1851 remarried)
daughter Mary age 1

Compare with Daniel Livingston 1870 U.S. Census info John Livingston found for Daniel Livingston your ancestor residing in East Saginaw, Saginaw County, Michigan
Daniel Livingston age 44 born Scotland occupation "engineer"
Mary Livingston age age 42 born Scotland
Jane age 17 born Scotland
Junetta age 12 born Scotland
Lizzie age 12 born Scotland (Lizzie Brownlea of Laramie, Wyoming daughter of Daniel Livingston you have indicated)
Daniel age 10 born Scotland
Thomas age 6 born Michigan
Safe to say the family arrived in the U.S sometime between 1860 and 1864 and I think? this the same Daniel I located in the 1851 Census. What are the odds that I would find a Daniel Livingston stating that he was born in the Dr. Livingstone hometown of "Blantire" and that he was sort of engineer around the same age as your Daniel Livingston from Saginaw Michigan. It must be him?

*Note:" Engine Driver" was a nickname commonly used in Britain for a 19th century Marine Engineer. With the advent of steam power replacing sails, engineers familiar with steam engines and boiler operation were required personal on marine vessels. Many of these men also had experience working with steam operated trains. Steam power was also utilized in operating saw mill equipment. My family used to own a saw mill in the 1890's and early 1800's and my great uncles had their steam papers qualifying them to operate a steam boiler for their father's mill. Saginaw, Michigan I understand had a major saw mill operation in the 1870's and 1880's. I am not certain precisely how your ancestor Daniel Livingston was employed as an "Engineer" as indicated in his 1870 Michigan census info in Saginaw, Michigan, but I suspect it would pertain to his expertise with steam power and boiler operation whatever he actually did. Perhaps he worked with a boat or train or some other use of steam power. This is a pretty good guess anyways.

regards,

Donald
Bede Livingston

Post by Bede Livingston »

Hi Donald,
Thank you for making some sense of the Scottish records for me. The naming pattern is interesting. I have read that in previous centuries, Scottish families named their children after family members who had gone before so that they would already have a saint to look after them. Whatever family my Daniel comes from I am proud to be his great great great granddaughter because of the life that August 4, 1887 issue of the Laramie Weekly Boomerang states he lived.
Alisa
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alisa,
I added a few more comments to my last post. THis one has been one a tough one indeed. It is difficult when there is so little to work with. You just have to try make sense of what you can find. Socrates once said " I know that I do not Know. I really am no expert on your Livingston family and I am not sure 100 per cent of alot of what I have located, but I think perhaps if anything I have unearthed a few clues to Daniel's origins, but I really cant say I know for certain. Your additional information and that of JOhn's helped me to better understand it all. I try and avoid telling any of our Livingstone family researchers I think something is a fact unless I have something fairly tangible to back it up. I think there are two possible origins for Daniel. One is that he is a cousin of some sort of Dr. Livingstone and another possibility that should be considered I think is that he and the other older Daniel that resided at Blantyre Works in the early 1800's were connected to the old Livingstone famillies who resided in the Glasgow and neigbhouring GOrbal Parish area many of whom for years were going with the name Daniel Livingston for some reason.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Donald and Alisa and John

Great work, all.

As for the two theories, I agree that they are both possible. If Alisa could ever track down someone from her line to test for DNA (a Livingstone male) we could know for sure. Given the generations, that seems unlikely. But that is one way to know if there is a Dr Livingstone relationship. Of course, it is possible that the Glasgow City Livingstones that Donald has unearthed are ALSO relatives of Dr Livingstone, so that can't be ruled out either!

Either way, I'd say Alisa knows more about her ancestors than many do! And whether the connection to Dr Livingstone is real, or just family lore, my guess is their common time spent in Blantyre created some relationship between the families regardless. We know Dr Livingstone's line thought themselves blood relatives of the Barons of Bachuil as well, and we know that is not true _in the male line_. Such a thing could be true here as well.

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Ref. train drivers etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_engineer.

Daniel Livingstone, train driver - m - Catherine (Illegible), possibly Anderson, son Daniel b. 09 Aug. 1860, the place of birth on his certificate is, Belshill, District of Bothwell, County of Lanark.

See link for further info on Bothwell/Bellshill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellshill.

FYI. Bellshill - Blantyre - abt. 3-4 miles.

Bellshill - Carstairs - abt. 20 - 25 miles,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Daniel's wife in those two birth records for Lizzie b. 1857 and Daniel Jr. 1860 is Catharine Anderson, the wife Catharine recorded in Carstairs, Carstairs Parish, Lanarkshire in the 1851 Scottish census where he is listed as engine driver. Makes sense that one of the birth records you have found lists his occupation as train driver as engine driver in those times were often those had experience with both steam operated trains as well as boats. Apparently he later in life operated to tug boats. No doubt his knowledge of steam power would come in handy with these boats. I thought one stated his occupation as hotel keeper but the writing was difficult to read. The 1851 birth record for Jean alias Jane Livingston does not give much detail other than she is the daughter of Daniel Livngston and Catharine Anderson and born in Carstairs Parish, Lanarkshire. Definitely the wife Catharine's last name was Anderson. I could make that out as well on the birth records you located. So Daniel Sr. and family were located in Bothwell Parish near Blantyre just prior to their departure for America and when Daniel Jr. was born. Interesting.

regards,

Donald
Bede Livingston

Post by Bede Livingston »

Hi John and Donald,
I just viewed the records John sent. They are interesting. I had not had a chance to see them as there are times when I am away from a desktop computer. The Bay City census is Daniel's daughter Jane. I have combed Michigan newspaper archives for any reference to the Family. One thing I want to tell you from those searches is that at least in 1917, Thomas Livingston lived in Herington Kansas. He visited Jennie in Saginaw that year and it made the paper. A confusion for me regarding the birth record for Lizzie is the absence of Jennie. They are twins according to census records. There is also a short post in the May 24, 1919 edition of the 'Saginaw News' that states "Mrs. Brownlee and Mrs. King are twin sisters." I very much appreciate all that I am learning from you about my Family.
Alisa