Daniel & Mary Livingstone, Michigan

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Bede Livingston

Re: Daniel & Mary Livingstone, Michigan

Post by Bede Livingston »

Archibald Livingston of Michigan

In searching the ‘Saginaw Daily News’ archives, I came upon an Archibald Livingston who referred to Daniel Livingston’s Daughter Mrs. Mary Patterson as his “niece.” While it is probable he is family, I have my doubts that he is Daniel’s sibling.

I searched OPR Births and Baptisms, and found no Daniel Livingstone born around 1826, and Archibald Livingstone born around 1835 to have any parents in common. The 2 Lanarkshire possibilities are Archibald, June 17, 1835 to Archibald Livingstone and Janet Sherreff, Cambusnethan; and, Archibald, December 4, 1830 to John Livingstone, and Mary Fraser, Glasgow.

Along with the absence of matching parents, there is one more thing that does not add up for me. From reading the newspapers, the Family that starts this thread appears to be close knit, and of means. Archibald Livingston spent most of his life in Michigan residing in boarding houses. He was staying with Jennie Livingston King and her husband George at the time of his death in 1895. He is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery with no grave marker. This does not make sense for a brother of Daniel’s in the family dynamic as I’ve researched it.
Bede Livingston

Hi Donald, John, and Kyle

Thanks again for all of your help. You have breathed new life into my research. Through trial, error and the process of elimination I am convinced that the Archibald Livingston who was with Daniel and Family in Saginaw is the Archibald Livingstone born June 17, 1835 to “Archibald Livingstone and Janet Sherriff”

Rev. Archibald Livingstone was the Minister of Cambusnethan. He was accused of a theft committed by 2 of his employees, and later vindicated by the High Court.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y3kDAA ... an&f=false

There is record of 5 children in the family: Janet Walker Livingston b 1827, Mary Hamilton Campbell Livingston b 1829, Jane Jemima Steuart Livingston b 1831, Archibald Livingston b 1835, and John Alexander Sherriff Livingston b 1837.

http://histfam.familysearch.org/getpers ... tree=Fasti

I followed Archibald’s life via Scottish Censuses. In 1841 he is 5 years old living with Rev. Archibald 50, Janet Livingston 30, Mary 12, Jane 9, John 3, and Janet Thomson 19. The 1851 census shows an Archibald Livingston 15 years old born Cambusnethan Lanarkshire as, shop apprentice as a border in Midlothian County at the home of James Allan 41, Margaret Allan 32, Barbara Allan 6, and Robert Allan 2. There is not an 1861 record for him. A person matching his description appears on the 1870, and 1880 US Federal Censuses in Saginaw, MI.

What I don’t know is how/if this family line can be connected to the family line of my Ggg grandfather Daniel. Anything you know of to support or rule out the possibility will be very much appreciated.
Alisa
Bede Livingston

Hi Donald, John, and Kyle. Thank you again for the help you have given me in locating information on these, my family. In my continuing research, I encountered this newspaper article. Again, we know not if it is fact or lore; however, it must certainly have been believed. http://pluto.wyo.gov/awweb/main.jsp?fla ... =1&awdid=3 Hope all is well with you and yours.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Alisa,

Sorry I wasn't able to access that info. I really can't say for certain that there is a connection or isn't. Many Livingston families including those of my family had and old family story linking their Livingston ancestors to Dr. Livingstone. My father was convinced his Livingston kin was somehow related to the famous doctor and told me that many a time as did his cousin.

I forget if had located Daniel's marriage record to his first wife Catherine Anderson. His children in Scotland if I recall correctly were all born to Catharine Anderson.

Daniel Livingstone in the Parish of Carstairs and Catherine Anderson in the Parish of Bothwell were married February 11, 1849 in Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire. From this information I assume that Daniel livingston was residing in Carstairs Parish at the time of his marriage.

As previously mentioned
1851 Census Carstairs, Carstairs Parish
Daniel Livingston age 25 born abt. 1826 Blantire" (Blantyre) , Lanarkshire engine driver
Catharine Livingston age 23
Mary age 1

This I believe is your Daniel Livingston circa 1841
1841 Census Bothwell Parish Lanarkshire Crossgate

Archibald Livingston age 70 b.1771
Janet Livingston age 70 b. 1771
Janet Livingston age 25
Daniel Livingston age 15 born abt.1826

This Archibald and Janet Livingston are bit old to be Daniel's parent's in 1841. They were born in the 1770's. Perhaps they are grandparents. Some family connection with Janet and Daniel listed. Perhaps the parents are no longer living. I think this is probably your Daniel Livingston. Clearly he was in Bothwell and Carstairs Parish in the early years but the 1851 census does indicate his birth place as "Blantire". THe family could have moved to Bothwell or Daniel and Janet moved to Bothwell. See if I can make any sense of this new info.

regards,

Donald
Bede Livingston

You did locate the marriage record for Daniel Livingstone and Catherine Anderson. All children but Thomas were born in Scotland to Catherine. Thomas was born in Michigan to 2nd wife Mary. There is no male line. Daniel Jr. had 2 daughters Kitty and Minnie. Thomas had no children that I can find and I have looked. The Newspaper link I sent is from a section of the Laramie 'Daily Boomerang' July 29, 1887 page 4 under a heading called 'City Chat.' It reads ''The grandfather of the late Daniel Livingston who was buried today and the grandfather of Dr. Livingston, the African explorer were brothers.'' That is all it says. At least I now know what the connection is thought to be. I was not even sure of that before. As I've said before, all I really want is to know as much about my Family as I can. You all have helped so much with that.
Alisa
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alisa,

I suspect that Daniel's grandparents may have been the Archibald and Janet Livingston age 70 born abt. 1771 recorded in the 1841 Scottish census at Bothwell Parish where in 1849 Daniel and his first wife was married. Unfortunately there are no parents or birth/baptismal records for this Daniel b. abt. 1826 or the Janet abt. 1816 that I could find. I am more and more leaning to the notion that Daniel's family is of highland Arygllshire origin his grandparents in particular but I don't see a connection to Dr. Livingstone. Dr. Livingstone's grandfather was Neil Livingston and the grandmother was Mary Morrison. THere are only guesstimates as to the year of his birth (before 1745? because his father was said to have killed at the Battle of Culloden 1746 and only speculation and folklore as to who he was related to.

In my opinion the best lead for the moment is that your Daniel is living in Bothwell Parish 8 years before his marriage to Catharine Anderson there with an elderly couple Archibald livingston age 70 and Janet Livingston age 70 and a Janet Livingston age 25 who may be an older sister. HIs parents may or may not be living. Perhaps Daniel has left the home of his parents and found work in Bothwell Parish. The details just aren't known however. No marriage record for the Archibald and Janet Livingston I was looking for nor was there a birth record for Archibald Livingston born abt. 1770 or 1771.

See my earlier posting above for the interesting Bothwell and Carstairs information which I think pinpoints his location between 1841 and 1851.
The Archibald Livingston and Janet Sherriff info was and interesting possibility possibly the best but as you probably mentioned Daniel and the janet born abt. 1816 dont seem to fit. It is interesting that Daniel is living with non other than a Archibald and Janet Livingston but just think the Archibald and Janet at Bothwell in the 1841 census are too old to be Daniel's parents. If they were born abt. 1771 as the census indicates they would be in their mid 50's when Daniel was born. More likely grandparents or an AUnt or Uncle. Anyways sorry this lead really does not take us very much further. One is limited to what records survive. With what there is I cant even prove that Daniel's family is of highland Argyllshire origin though there is good possibility given that most Livingstons in 19th century Lanarkshire settled in Lanarkshire in the late 1700's and early 1800's in search of work. By the 19th century, Lanarkshire had the second largest percentage of Livingston families in Scotland next to highland Argyllshire the ancestral homeland of the highland Clan maclea Livingstones.
regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alisha,

Bingo. I found something. A clue regarding the family in Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire before Daniel and Catharine went to America.
Heres what the collection gathered most recently looks like together:

Daniel Livingston born August 9, 1860 Belllshill Bothwell District, Lanarkshire
Parents: Daniel Livingston engine driver and Catharine Anderson
Informant: Robert Livingston "Uncle"

Here is the only Robert Livingston residing in Bothwell Parish recorded in the 1861 Census at Muirmadkin
Robert Livingston age 58 born abt 1803 Glasgow, Lanarkshire engine cleaner rail
Jean Livingston age 60 born abt. 1801 Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire
Janet Allan age 35 daughter born Bothwell Parish Lanarkshire
Muirmadkin, Bothwell Parish Lanarkshire

1851 Census Bothwell Parish Lanarkshire Muirmadkin
Robert Livingstone age 62 abt. 1799 born Glasgow, Lanarkshire hand loom weaver
Jean Livingstone age 66 abt. 1795 born Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire
Jean Livingstone age 15 abt. 1836 born Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire
thomas Baird age 65 abt. 1796 born Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire railway labourer
James Baird age 22 Born Bothwell Parish Lanarkshire stocker railway

1851 Census Carstairs Parish Lanarkshire
Daniel Livingston age 25 born abt. 1826 Blantire (BLantyre) Lanarkshire
Catharine Livingston age 23 born bat. 1828 Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire
Mary Livingston age 1 Carstairs Parish, Lanarkshire

Daniel Livingston in the parish of Carstairs and Catharine Anderson in the parish of Bothwell were married Feb. 11, 1849 in Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire
1841 Census Bothwell Parish, Bellshill
Robert Livingston age 35 born abt. 1806 Lanarkshire residence at Bellshill, BOthwell Parish
Jean Livingston age 40 born abt. 1801
Janet Livingston age 20 born abt. 1821
Jean Livingston age 5 born abt. 1836

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alisha,

Here is Robert Livingston born in Glasgow Glasgow city mentioned in my previous posting

Robert Livingston born March 21, 1803 Glasgow Glasgow City (this birth date seems be very close with the information in the 1861 Census for Robert Livingstone)
Parents: Archibald Livingston and Janet Mclean
This explains why a relative also with name Archibald livingston was stating he a relative of your Daniel Livingston.

Archibald Livingston and Janet Mclean married July 27, 1788 Glasgow, Glasgow City

This changes things a bit because the Glasgow City Livingstons or at least the original Glasgow City Livingstons predate the highland Livingstone families in Lanarkshire and infact if Robert's father is connected to the older Glasgow City Livingston which he likely is the records go back to the 1600's for these Glasgow City Livingstons. I cant go back farther than Archibald's marriage in 1788 with your Livingston family but there are numerous Glasgow City Livigingston families in Glasgow City throughout the 1700's some of them connected interestingly to one Archibald Livingston born March 2, 1718 to James Livingston and Isabel McClun. Most of the these Livingstons in the 1700's era records in Glasgow City seem to connect to an old lowland Livingston family that was residing in Glasgow City long before the highland Livingstons like Dr. Livingstones father Neil Livingston arrived in Blantyre and other towns in Lanarkshire in the late 1700's and early 1800's looking for work. There were a number of Livingston families working also in Blantyre in the early 1800's at the same time as Dr. Livingstone's grandfather and father and while some may have been related others seem to be connected to other Lanarkshire Livingston families we dont know anything about.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Can you take a look at the last couple of postings and see if this info makes sense to you? If RObert Livingston born 1803 in Glasgow City and residing in Bothwell Parish is Daniel's Uncle then Robert's family records are leading us to Glasgow City and an old Lowland Livingston family there. The records for old lowland family go back quite a ways, way before the influx of highland Livingstons into Lanarkshire in the late 1700's and beyond. And Robert Livingstons father Archibald may well connect and be a descedant of the the one older Archibald Livingston entry in the old Glasgow CIty parish records born in 1718. It is quite possible he was named after him. I have noticed with in many of the old Scottish parish records a tendency to stick with the first name of an important ancestor for a few generations. My sense is that Daniel's Uncle Robert Livingston witness to the birth of Daniel and Catharine's son Daniel born in 1860 and also a railroad worker who was born in Glasgow CIty according to all his records is connected to this old Lowland Glasgow CIty Livngstons.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alisa and John,

Ok just looked over the last 3 or 4 posts of mine. Of course I am right. Robert Livingston b. 1803 (note actually born in 1802 according his birth record) the "Uncle" mentioned in the birth of Daniel Livingstons son Daniel Livingston born 1860 is as the Glasgow City birth record states is tthe son of Archibald Livingston and Janet McLean of Glasgow city born in 1803 (1802 according to his birth record). He must be a brother of Daniel's unknown father. And in the 1841 Census you can see that your anceestor young Daniel Livngston age 15 is residing in Bothwell Parish with his grandfather and grandmother as you can see in this 1841 census record as none other than Archibald Livingston born abt. 1770 and his wife Janet Livingston born 1770. So here is the family then

This is what the records are telling me about your family. It is a bit vague but I am on to something I think. Definitely your family orignated in Glasgow City Lanarkshire prior to Carstairs and Bothwell, Lanarkshire.

Achibald Livingston born abt. 1770 in Glasgow City according to his birth record and his wife Janet Mclean according to their marriage record born abt. 1770 married July 7, 1788 in Glasgow City, Lanarkshire

Children of Archibald Livingston and Janet Mclean
1.Daniel's unknown father
2.Daniel's "Uncle" Robert Livingston born 1803 in Glasgow CIty, Lanarkshire
3 others?

THe mention of an "Uncle Robert Livingston" in the birth record from 1860 of Daniel Livingston and Catharine Andersons son Daniel was the clue I think we were looking for.

(Update: I have found what I think is the entire family of Archibald Livingston and his wife Janet MCLean all born in Glasgow City. See subsequents posts)

regards,

Donald