David Livingstone, Gympie Queensland Australia

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Pobriensydney

David Livingstone, Gympie Queensland Australia

Post by Pobriensydney »

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to assist with information on my great grandfather David Livingstone's family in Australia.

My great-grandfather David Livingstone was born around 1891 at Gympie in Queensland Australia. David was the son ofWilliam Livingstone and Cecelia Robinson.

The only bit of info I have of William Livingstone was that he was born in Scotland and his profession in Australia was shopkeeper.

David went on to serve Australia in WW1 e. He went on to marry Florence Hansen in Sydney, and they had 2 children; Gladys and David.

Gladys Livingstone is my grandmother (deceased) and I recall stories that she told linking her family with that of Dr David Livingstone the explorer.

I am a family researcher myself and have already published a book on my father's O'Brien family, now hoping to put together some research on my Livingstone side.

It is possible that others in this forum may be able to assist me with information, which would be most helpful.

Thanking everybody in advance.

Regards
Phillip O'Brien
jmlivingstone

Re: David Livingstone, Gympie Queensland Australia

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Phillip,

The information below is the closest I can find, it differs in as far as the spelling of Cecilias surname goes, but may be worth further research'

William Livingstone - m - Cecilia Robertson on 24 March 1882 at Pittencrieff St., Dunfermline.

William, age 26, occ. engineer, address Dale St., Liverpool.

f. James Livingstone, farmer.

m. Janet Couper.

Cecilia, age 24, occ. weaver in Damask factory, address Pittencrieff St., Dunfermline.

f. Henry Robertson, power loom tenter.

m. Christina Beveridge, deceased.

Witnesses, Andrew Nisbet & Elizabeth Scotland,

Scotlands People do not appear to have any other Cecilia & William recorded as marrying in this period, hopefully this is of assistance,

John
Pobriensydney

Post by Pobriensydney »

Hello John

Many thanks for your reply. Your information has been very helpful as the information you have matches other leads I have found.

Should there be any relatives to the same family, particularly in Australia, I'd be much obliged.

Kind regards

Phillip
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Phillip,

I have no idea if the James below is your family or not, but it could be worth further research;

James Livingstone, age 23, & family, departed UK for Australia, 1882 on board ship, Samuel Plimsoll, a total of 9 Livingstones were onboard this vessel.

The passenger list does not say if they are all part of one family, nor give port of departure from UK, you may be able to get more info from the site below, or Australian Gov. passenger arrival lists,

http://www.anglo-scots.mlfhs.org.uk/R.pdf,

John.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Phillip,

The info below I came across on the internet, I believe it may have also been posted on Ancestry, by a T. Fearns, I'm almost certain I saw it there some time ago.
Some of the names & marriage dates appear to tie in with your family,

John

Samuel Livingstone was born in 1862 in Muiralehouse or Bannockburn in Stirlingshire. His parents were James Livingstone and his wife Janet Cooper.

His, mother, Jane, died at the early age of 36 in 1870 and records show that the eight-year-old lad was placed in Dunfermline, e.g. the 1871 Census.

Ten years later, (in 1881) Samuel was living with his sisters Jane, aged 24 and Maggie, aged 20. In 1882 he married Jane Reid, a Damask Factory worker, the daughter of David Reid, a coal miner and his wife, Margaret McGreechan.

Samuel's brother, William Livingstone, born in 1859, married in Dunfermline the same year as Samuel was married, i.e. 1882.

Samuel's other brother, James, married in Elgin two years later, in 1884. On James' Marriage Certificate, his father, James Snr. was not shown as 'deceased'. He was shown as a Master Blacksmith (Ref. 150, Entry 7)

Samuel's father appears to have 'disappeared' from the scene after the death of his wife in 1870 and very little is known of his whereabouts.
Further, not knowing where he died, and not having a copy of his Birth Certificate, the details of his parents are unknown and so the task of tracing the family line comes to an abrupt halt.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
I am struggling with determining the earlier Dumfermline Parish, FIfeshire family connection with this family as there as there were more than one James Livingston born in the 1820's in Dumfermline Parish. Anyways here is what I found so far and am more certain about for starters. Also James Livingston blacksmith of Bannockburn, St. Ninians Parish, Stirlingshire seems to disappear as mentioned by that researcher whom info you found, following the 1870 death in Bannockburn of his wife Janet (Cooper) Livingstone. This is indeed something of a mystery and a significant stumbling block.

I think this is the William Livingstone originally of Bannockburn, Stirlingshire and son of James Livingston and Janet Cooper you mentioned.
I found a young single man William Livingstone an engine driver by occupation in the 1881 Scottish Census close in age to Cecilia Robertson that may be the son of James Livingstone and Janet Cooper of Bannockburn, Scotland you mentioned.
Dunfernline Register District Inverkeithing, Fife 6 Cottage Row
William Livingstone age 22 born Bannockburn, Stirlingshire abt. 1859 or 1858 engine driver and a lodger He is not listed in the 1891 Census, so presumingly left the Country sometime between 1882 and 1891 for Australia.

In the same 1881 Census Cecilia Robertson presumingly before her 1882 Marriage
1881 Scottish Census info.
Dunfernline Parish, town of Dunfernline or Dunfermline, Fifeshire 128 Pittencrief St.
Henry Robertston age 53
Mrs Robertson (Christine) age 53
John age 24
Cecilia age 22
Archibald age 20
Janet age 18
Christina age 16
William age 14
Thomas age 12
Alexander age 9

Included in the 1871 Census are the two other elder brothers of Cecilia, James and Henry Robertson Jr.
Some of the ages vary in the census info unfortunately but I am thinking that this info is for the same family group. See what you think.
The 1861 Census info
James Livingston, his wife Janet are in the 1861 Census residing at "Muiralehouse" you mentioned in St. Ninians Parish, Stirlingshire which seems to be in the Bannockburn vicinity and associated with it. Interestingly James Livingston was born in Dunfernline, Fifeshire around 1828 while his wife Janet was born abt. 1833 in Bannockburn, Stirlingshire.
James Livingstone age 33 born Dunfernline,Fifeshire blacksmith journey
Janet Livngstone age 28 born Bannockburn, Stirlingshire
Mary Livingstone age 9 born St. Ninians Parish
James age 6 born St. Ninians Parish
Janet age 4 born St. Ninians Parish
William age 2 born abt. 1859 St. Ninians which is in the Bannockburn vicinity
Margaret age 11 months born St. Ninians Parish

James Livingston and Janet Cooper married North Church, Dunfermline Parish, Fifeshire 15/05/1851
Janet Livingstone age 36 wife of James Livingstone Blacksmith died August 14, 1870 at Bannockburn in St. Ninians Parish Her father is listed as having been Samuel Cooper. Cant read the maiden name of Samuels' wife.

The stumbling block for me is that I cant locate Janet's husband James Livingston in the subsequent 1871 Scottish census. I am not sure at this point what happened to him following his wife Janet's death. Did he leave St. Ninians Parish and Bannockburn following her death? If so where did he go?

regards,

Donald