John Livingston and Jane (Jeannie) Hood of Rutherglen Parish

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingston and Jane (Jeannie) Hood of Rutherglen Parish

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

This is the latest research attempting to discover 20th century descendants of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Morvern

Later Livingstons with an ancestral connection to DOnald Livingston 1728-181 6 of Savary, Morvern

John Livingstone b. 1862 a Tailor in Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire m. Jane (Jeannie Hood) John Livingstone died February 15, 1934 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire
John Livingstone and Jane Hood married November 28, 1888 in Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire
Parents Robert Livingston b. 1826 in Savary, MOrvern died 1906 Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire and Agnes Nicol
Robert Livingston b. 1825 was a son of Savary Miller Adam Livingston and his second wife Margaret McDonald . Adam Livingston was a son of Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern hero of the Battle of Culloden
Children of John Livingstone (1862-1934) and Jane Hood
1. Agnes Nicol Hood Livingstone b. July 25, 1895 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire
2. Robert Hood Livingstone b. July 7, 1897 RUtherglen Parish, Lanarkshire
3. John Hood Livingstone b. December 16,1899 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire

Agnes Nicel Hood Livingtone age 27 went to New York arriving at Ellis Island on 20th Oct. 1922 (not certain if immigrating or just visiting)

Robert Hood Livingstone age 28 tailor's cutter age 28 of Rutherglen Parish son of John Livingstone and Jeannie Hood married Christina Mary Nicol on August 14, 1925 Blythswood District, Glasgow
Robert Hood Livingston died March 24, 1958 Residence: 30 Rouken Glen Road Giffnock, Renfrewshire Confirmation of death: Christina Mary Nicol Livingstone (his wife)

John Hood Livingston age 31 clerk of 10 Parkhill Lane Rutherglen Parish married at Queens Park Baptist Church, Glasgow District of Cathcart, Lanarkshire Margaret Drummond Paul daughter of John Paul master tailor and Hannah Drummond on June 6,1931 John Hood Livingston died age 68 year 1968 Glasgow

There is information on Robert Hood Livingston and John Hood Livington serving during World War 1

Ancestral Line of Agnes Nicol Hood Livingstone, Robert Hood Livingstone and John Hood Livingstone born in Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire in late 1890's.

1. John Livingstone b.1700 d. 1757 m. Anna McInnis of Savary, Morvern (Buried Keil Cemetery, Morvern Large ornamental Table tombstone erected by son Donald Livingstone 1760)
2. Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Morvern m. Jane/Jean Stewart
3. Adam Livingstone of Savary, Morvern (Miller) and second wife Margaret McDonald
4. Robert Livingstone b.1825 Savary, Morvern died 1906 Cambuslang Parish Lanarkshire m. Agnes Nicol
5. John Livingstone b. 1862 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire died 1934 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire m. Jane (Jeannie) Hood
6. children of John Livingstone and Jane (Jeannie) Hood: Agnes Nicol Hood Livingstone b.1895,RUtherglen, Lanarkshire Robert Hood Livingston b.1897 Rutherglen, Lanarkshire- d.1958 Giffnock, Renfrewshire m. Christina Mary Nicol d. 1964 Giffnock,Renfrewshire John Hood Livingston b. 1899 Rutherglen, Lanarkshire d.1968 Glasgow m. Margaret D. Paul

Beyond this I dont have too much information, however I think I have found some leads regarding the family of Robert Hood Livingston and Christina Mary Nicol
His son John Nicol Livingston b.1932 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire son of Robert Hood Livingston and Christina Mary Nicol m. Margaret Eileen Davidson 1957 at Newton Mearns Renfrewshire
Gordon Nicol Livingston born 1958 at Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire may the son of John Nicol Livingstone and Margaret Eileen Davidson of Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire but I don't have proof of that. It does seem probable given that John and Eilleen married at Newton Mearns the previous year.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: John Livingston and Jane (Jeannie) Hood of Rutherglen Pa

Hi John,

I have updated the list of children of Robert Livingston b.1825 in Savary Morvern Ploughman and his wife Agnes Nicol
that you submitted earlier. I am pretty certain that their son born in 1862 was John Livingstone husband of Jane (Jeannie Hood). John lived in Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire and died there. We worked on some of the other sons to see if their were any more recent descendants but I am more luck I think with Robert and Agnes Livingstone's son John Livingstone b. 1862. I think there is a good chance there are one or two descendants of Robert's son John in East Renfrewshire. See my latest research on the family line of John Livingstone b. 1862 and his wife Jane Hood of Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire in my previous post. Later his descendants ended in nearby East Renfrewshire apparently and I know where I think at least where some of them ended up.

The updated list of children of Robert Livington b. 1825 in Savary, Morvern and Agnes Nicol of Cambuslang Parish and later Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire Robert was grandson of the Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 though his son Adam Livingstone a miller at Savary Morvern in the early 1800's and second wife Margaret McDonald.

1. Agnes b. 19 June 1855.
2. Adam b. 12 May 1857. m. Annabella M. before 1901 resided in 1901 in Cambelang Parish no children before 1901 census not sure they had family
3. Margaret b. 15 Sept. 1859.
4. Janet b. 15 Aug. 1864.
5. John? b. 28 Jan. 1862. married Jane Hood (descendants ended up in East Renfrewshire in recent years)
6. Robert b. 11 May 1867 (not sure what happened to Robert after the late 1800's)
7. James b. 01 May 1870.
8. Jane b. 12 Fb. 1873.

Robert was in both Cambuslang and Rutherglen Parish in Lanarkshire and later generations of the family after Rutherglen are residing in neighbouring East Renfrewshire in Giffnock and nearby Newton Means I believe. Looking on a map all these parishes are quite near to each other in Scotland. I don't have detailed information for later generations but have managed to piece together some basic information which has been helpful in possibly pointing me in the right direction. I am going to see what I can find out in East Renfrewshire on one branch of the family I think I have located of John Livingston and Jane Hood.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I've just had a quick look in the local phone books, there are not a lot of Livingstones in the area, unfortunately, none of them who do appear, tie in, I'll have a look tomorrow again, maybe even try phoning them, all two of them,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

If this family line is correct there was at least till relatively recently a descendant or descendants of the old highland Savary, Morvern Livingstons residing in Giffnock and subsequently nearby Newton Mearns but whether they are still in this area. Since DOnald's grandson Robert Livington arrived by the 1850's in Cumberslang Parish, Lanarkshire this family group has generation by generation gradually moved out of Lanarkshire into East Renfrewshire so it could well be finding current descendants may prove challenging. Compounded by the fact that we dont have access to all the records to identify all of the current descendants if there are more. This and one other family line connected to another son of Donald his son Allan Livingstone borrn abt. 1770/1771 I have been also working on with some success recently though I only got as far as about 1920. This family line of Robert Livingston b.1825 and his wife Agnes Nicol has not been challenging as you well know but his son John Livingstone and wife Jane Hood and their line seem hold some hope for us as you see from my latest work on it.

Speaking of Savary Livingstone families if you get around to exploring Western Argyll and visiting the Clan chief at Bachuil on the Isle of Lismore, it would be great if you drop by the adjacent Morvern coastline and visit the Keil Cemetery near Lochaline where Donald Livingstone's parents are buried in an elaborate table top tomb complete with ornate carving and a family coat of arms created for Old Donald around 1759 for his Parents John Livingston and Ann McInnis. There are a number of other Savary Livingstons buried there including a few of Donald Livingstons's children in the 1850's and 1860's and before that. I dont know that any of their stones are still standing. For that matter there is no original stone for Donald Livingston which has always surprised me given his fame in Western Argyll. Is he buried alongside his parents. The late Donald McINnis of Cumbernauld I got to know when I started doing Savary Livingstone research way back when and he spent alot of time visiting the Keil Cemetery and passed on some interesting info on old DOnald Livingston that was helpful. I dont recall though asking him about where Donald was buried because I just assumed that he is buried with his parents. THe children of DOnald Livingston I discovered in my researched were poor agricultural laborers and paupers in their old age so that is probably why there seem to be no impressive stones in that cemetery for the old Savary Livingstons beyond the impressive stone Donald had erected about 1759 1760 for his own parents. From what I seen Donald was relatively successful after the rebellion of 1745 as a cattle man, supplier to British troops quartered in a nearby fort after the rebellion, operated the Savary Mill with his sons and in old age ran an Inn at Savary. So he was quite a bit more successful that his sons who were for most part agricultural laborers and impoverished tenants. Son Adam Livngston operated the mill at Savary in the early 1800's. THere was a croft attached or beside the mill and that is where Donald and family and later his son Adam lived. Now is just a ruin apparently near to the Savary River. If there is any ruined stonework still left it is probably overgrown, although I believe in the 1990's they were going to clear some of the brush. If you ever looking for a Livingstone based adventure you could stop by that part of Morvern and search for the ruins of the old mill and the croft beside it where Donald Livingston 1728-1816 lived. I am hoping to get someone out there from the Society to locate the site of the old mill and Donald's croft at Savary near the Savary river I assume and take a few photos of the site sometime in the future.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
East Renfrewshire has apparently an archives and a site for genealogy research, so I am hoping to let them know about the apparent Savary, Morvern highland Livingstone connection to this family group that lived in East Renfrewshire and before that in nearby Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire. Given that the family resided in Lanarkshire for a time it may be that some descendants of this family more likely suspected a Dr. David Livingstone connection and may not have known at all about the Savary, Morvern Donald Livingston connection. We have over the years traced the family line of the Bachuil Livingstones, Dr. David Livingston but next to nothing (until recently) was known of what became of the Savary, Morvern Livingstons connected to Donald Livingstone (1728-1816).

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Update. A bit of a setback but perhaps also lead possibly. John Nicol Livingston b. 1932 passed away in 2011 in Barrhead, Renfrewshire which is a few miles east of Newton Mearns I mentioned. It appears that John only had one son Gordon born in NEwton Mearns in the 1950's from what I can tell from the birth records. Perhaps someone in Barrhead would have info on John Nicol Livingston and his kin.

regards,

Donald
GordonLivingstone

Post by GordonLivingstone »

Hi Donald/John,
Came across your post by chance.I am Gordon Nicol Livingstone born 25/10/58 - live in Newton Mearns.Son of John (Jack) Nicol Livingstone born 19/06/32 and Margaret Eileen Davidson born 26/04/1934.I have a sister Alison Margaret (now Mackeachan) born 20/12/61 and a brother Graham Allan born 26/11/71.
My father died in 2011 in Newton Mearns - my mother is still alive. My father had a sister Janette who is still alive born in 1928 I think.She was a history teacher and did the family tree and I believe got back to Donald Livingstone being carried from Culloden wrapped in the standard of the Stuarts and taken back to Lismore.I think there is a letter about this perhaps in the museum ? I can get my sister to send me a copy of the tree by E-mail and could then send it on to you ? Anything else my mum or my aunt will know more.Also I have children and so do my brother and sister.
Slainte
Gordon
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Gordon,
Welcome the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum
You have made my day. I have been doing extensive research on Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern over the years, discovering the names of some of his children and if his children had family their children and trying in some cases to go further in the family line to more recent times with not very much success. Your family line and connection I made to a son of Donald son Adam Livingston seemed to be the most success I had to date on that effort and it is now turned out to be successful. John Livingstone, one of Livingstons of Ross of Mull and Colonsay, Argyll Livingstone ancestry who lives in Scotland and his also a regular contributor to this forum, had joined in that search at the time in Scotland, but one way or another we just could not find you or your kin. Anyways it was my hope that my post here on this Clan forum might be seen by you or one of your relatives.

I will have to refresh my memory but have also traced and I think documented a direct ancestral line from Donald Livingston's parents John Livingston and Anna Mcinnes buried at Keil Cemetery in an elaborate 18th century highland style table tomb to Gordon Livingston which is obviously you. I am so glad you found this site.

Interestingly enough I have recently been in touch with a Livingston gentleman from Texas who is seems to be descended from Donald's brother Hugh (Ewen) Livingston who is listed with old Donald in the 1779 Argyll as a tenant at Savary, Morvern which as you probably know is where Old Donald came from. He is now participating in our Clan Maclea Livingstone Society DNA Project which has been on the go for the last 10 years as we have three other Livingston of Morvern ancestry including my third cousin who have participated in project and three of them according to their test results are a close match to one another and have documentation of being descended from a Morvern Livingston ancestor. In the case of Stephen the most recent participant of the Clan Maclea Livingstone DNA Test his ancestor according to the 1841 Census Hugh Livingston born abt. 1811 and his Euphemia Campbell of Achabeg Morvern lived only a short distance from Savary. In a few weeks we will know for sure just how closely related Stephen is with the other three Livingstons of documented Morvern origin are. My own ancestor and my Livingston cousin's was Miles Livingston b. 1775 in Morvern Parish who settled in what is now Western Canada in 1812. The name Miles may indicate that he is connected to a McInnes family who were known to live in Savary area some of whom were named Miles and related to Savary Livingstones. There are so Livingston-McInnes marriages in that area of Morvern that in the 19th century most McInnes and Livingston families were in one way or another I suspect. As mentioned Donald Livingstone's mother was also an McInnes. I have no information whether or not my ancestor Miles Livingston was related to the famous Donald Livington of Savary, Morvern that i pretty sure you are descended from Old Donald. And with Stephen's results soon being completed by familytreedna we are much closer to finding out how closely related these four Morvern Livingstons who have now taken the test really are. So far it is clear that the three of them are descended from one common ancestor presumingly himself of Morvern origin in the 18th century.

I have lots of information to share with you regarding Donald Livingstone and have written a couple of articles from our clan newsletter regarding your famous ancestor over the last few years. I actually posted this message way back when hoping that there was some chance that you or one of your kin might by chance be doing family research and stumble across this posting. Guess this is my lucky day. My wife seems to bruised and may have fractured her ribs when a deck railing at a cottage we rented gave way so she is slowing mending and things have been rather stressful here in last couple of week and she is coping but in some pain as you can imagine, so good news like finding a lost Livingstone family member related to Old Donald is always welcome.

I am just finishing up some research for today and will refresh my memory on your direct ancestral connection to Donald Livingstone and his wife Jean/Jane Stewart of Savary, Morvern and get back to you. Old Donald (Domhnull Mollach) is considered a legendary hero by our clan members for rescuing his Appin Regiment's banner at the Battle of Culloden in April of 1746 and returning to Appin and apparently to Charles Stewart of Ardsheil the Commander of the Appin Regiment, before he in hiding at the time later fled to France and lived in exile. After that it ended up for many years in the possession of another branch of the Stewart family up until the 1930's.

You and your Aunt might find it interesting to learn that a few years ago I found out about an old Scottish folklore book that was written in Scottish gaelic and edited by a Patrick Turner and published in 1813 by subscription only. Quite by accident I discovered that the book although entirely in gaelic had an english list of all Scottish persons who subscribed for the book including several Livingstons who lived in Western Argyll in year 1813. Among them named in the back of the old book and who ordered as copy of this Scottish folklore book in Scottish gaelic was an Adam Livingston address given Savary, MOrvern and I am certain that was old Donald's son Adam Livingston whom I was told from a descendant from Australia lived at Savary and worked at the mill there in the early 1800's. I imagine that Adam might have shared his copy of this Scottish folklore book with his elderly father Donald in 1813 given that Donald was alive until the year 1816 living well into his eighties at his home in Savary. A few years I found an original edition of that book in an used book store.

For their later years, he and his wife Jean ran an inn at Savary. Old Donald of Savary was a great story teller and later relatives from Morvern related to his brother Hugh (Ewen Livingstone) of Savary who settled in Ohio and New York State years later passed on some information to a young Duncan Livingston 1850-1910 whose father Angus Livingston settled in Ohio USA in the 1840's. Later Duncan Livingston became a prominent Ohio Lawyer and in his later life a family genealogist who published an article on the Appin Regiment at Culloden mentioning his relative Donald Livingston and some of the stories that two elderly Morvern Livington nieces of old Donald had told Duncan when he was a boy growing up in Ohio. Duncan had no children and his father and mother only had the one son so this line is no more but another Livingston family also from Morvern related to Duncan's settled in the neighbouring County in Ohio in the 1850's and I in contact with two descendants of this family who are quite interested in Donald Livingston as their possible family connection to him perhaps through Donald's brother hugh.

There is regrettably not much info on your ancestor Adam Livingston. I presume he was born in the 1770's but as there are no surviving birth or baptism parish records before 1803 I really don't know when he was born or baptized and he died before the 1841 census but there is no record of his death or tombstone in Kiel Cemetery where some of the Savary Livingstons were apparently buried. All that survives int he Morvern Parish records are the baptism records of some of his children including his son Robert your ancestor. Your ancestor Robert Livingston of Savary, Morvern was born on the 19th September 1825 the son of Adam Livingston and Peggy McDonald. More later when I have chance to look over my notes.

I really appreciate you contacting the forum.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Gordon,

I would be interested in seeing your Aunt's family history research info and family tree connecting your family to Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern.

I just basically put together an ancestral line here from info extracted from my earlier research showing how I think you descend from John livingston 1700-1759 and Anna McInnes the father of Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern according to the records. It looks like my hunch turned out to be right regarding your ancestral connection to Donald Livingstone of Savary, but I was not at all certain you would see the information that was earlier posted.

1. John Livingston 1700-1757 of Savary, Morvern,Argyll m. Anna Mcinnes (See 18th century Highland Table Tomb in Kiel Cemetery, Morvern erected by son Donald Livingstone for his parents in 1760)

2. Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern, Argyll m. Jean/Jane Stewart of Ardnacloich

3. Adam Livingston b.1770s? Savary, Morvern, Argyll died bef. 1841 m. wife no.(2) Margaret McDonald

4. Robert Livingston b. Sept. 19, 1825 Savary, Morvern d. March 19, 1906 Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire m. Dec. 15, 1854 Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire Agnes Nicol

5. John Livingston b.Jan. 28,1862 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire died Feb.15,1934 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire m. Nov. 28, 1888 Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire Jane (Jeannie) Hood b.Jan. 22, 1859 Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire d.?

6.Robert Hood Livingston b.July 7,1897 Rutherglen, Lanarkshire- d.March 24,1958 Giffnock, Renfrewshire m.August 14, 1925 Douglas Hotel,Blythswood District, Glasgow, Lanarkshire Christina Mary Nicol b.Jan.8, 1897 District of Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanarkshire d. 1964 Giffnock,Renfrewshire

7. John (Jack) Nicol Livingston 19/06/1932 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire d. 2011 m. Margaret Eileen Davidson 26/04/1934 in 1957 at Newton Mearns Renfrewshire

8. Gordon Nicol Livingston born 25/10/58 Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire

All of the Scottish death records from Adam's son Robert onward includes the names of the parents of the deceased if anyone wishes to double check the family line as I have stated here. They can access the original death, birth and marriage records of these families online through Scotlands People.com It is not known when Adam Livingston of Savary, Morvern died but he and his second wife Margaret McDonald apparently died sometime between the birth of their last born child and only known son Robert born in 1825 and 1841 when they don't appear in the 1841 Scottish Census.

With the death records from each generation after Adam for the most part giving the name of the deceased and being able in many cases to verify the names of parents from marriage and birth as well from year 1855 onward I am quite certain this is the definite ancestral line that connects to your late father, your brother and your sister and you.

Photo of 18th century Table tomb of John Livingston and Anna McInnes erected by Donald Livingstone in 1760 for his parents and more recent memorial in front of the grave site erected in memory of Donald Livingstone. There is no actual tombstone for Donald Livingston and I think it is assumed he is buried beside his parents which he most probably is.

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... m=14&pos=5

regards,

Donald
GordonLivingstone

Post by GordonLivingstone »

Dear Donald,
A lot to take in ! I only found this when I was looking to see if there was an imageof my grandfathers tailors shop online and came across the Livingston/Hood connection.
I told my sister about this and have asked her to dig out the family tree and scan it and send to me.I will send it to you as soon as I receive it.She also seems to have a copy of a letter about a couple of Livingstone brothers from Savary which sounds interesting.Glad I found your forum.
Best Regards,
Gordon