Descendants of Allan Livingstone and Margaret McLean

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Descendants of Allan Livingstone and Margaret McLean

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Allan Livingston born abt. 1770/1771 of Savary, Morvern d. between 1851 and 1855 probably in Knock, Morvern Parish, Argyll
married Margaret (Peggy) McLean presumingly in the 1790's in Morvern Parish. (There are no surviving parish records for Morvern Parish prior to the early 1800's) Allan Livingstone appears in the 1841 Scottish Census a resident of Savary, Morvern with his three children Majory, Duncan and John Livingston. His wife Margaret Livingston apparently died sometime before the 1841 Scottish census and following birth of their eldest son John abt. 1810. In the subsequent census of 1851 Allan Livingston is now residing with children: Majory, Duncan and John. Son Duncan married in 1848 while still residing in Savary but left his wife and child soon after and joined his father Allan Livingston, his sister and brother who by this time had left Savary and were residing in Knock,Morvern. Allan Livingstone was a son of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Morvern and Jane (Jean) Stewart of Ardnacloich, Appin

Known Children of Allan Livingston and Margaret Mclean originally of Savary, Morvern, Argyll

1. Majory Livingston born abt. 1796 in Savary, Morvern d. February 9, 1871 Lochaline village, Morvern (not married)

2. Duncan Livingston born abt 1799 in Savary, Morvern d. Feb. 3, 1875 Lochaline, Morvern married Christina (Christy) Cameron Feb. 9,1848 at Savary, Movern Parish

3. John Livingston born abt. 1804 in Savary, Morvern d. October 9, 1863 Knock, Morvern (not married) (also have John born or baptised about 1810?)

4. Ann Livingstone born abt. 1806 in Savary ,Morvern died unknown (not married)

Duncan Livingston born abt. 1799 in Savary, Morvern m. Christina Cameron February 9, 1848 in Savary, Morvern, Argyll
Children of Duncan Livington and Christina Cameron
1.John Livingston born November 26, 1848 in Savary, Morvern, Argyll died June 13, 1911 Inion Farm, Ardchattan Parish, Argyll married Marion Elphinstone on May 23, 1876 in Ardchattan Parish, Argyll

Children of John Livingston and Marion Elphinstone of Ardchattan Parish, Argyll
1. Donald Livingstone b. Oct. 1, 1876 District of Dennistoun, Glasgow,Lanarkshire died December 20, 1950 Oban, Argyll m. Jane Cameron or McDonald

2. Allan Livingtone b.Dec. 13,1879 in Achacha Barcaldine, Ardchattan Parish, Argyll died September 23, 1958 Achnaha near Savary, Morvern Parish, Argyll m. Margaret Brown Feb. 27,1919 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire (Allan Livingstone served in the Argyll Regiment during World War 1) His wife Margaret Brown born at Lorochbeg died February 24, 1965 aged 88 Allan Livingstone's stone is located most appropriately in Keil Cemetery in Morvern where his Savary kin and ancestor Donald Livingstone 1728-1816. He is likely one of the last of this Donald Livingstone Savary line buried in that old cemetery I suspect. I do not know if Allan and his wife Margaret had children. I am think they did not but not sure.

3. George Livingstone b.March 16,1881 in Achacha, Barcarldine, Ardchattan Parish, Argyll died unknown

4. Maggie Livingstone b. July 22,1884 in Barcarldine, Ardchattan Parish, Argyll died unknown
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Descendants of Allan Livingstone and Margaret McLean

Hi John,

Just an update on this Donald Livingstone of Savary family line which ended up In ardchattan Parish Argyll. I noticed in some photos I had actually forgotten about sent to me a while back taken at Keil Cemetery, Morvern, that Allan Livingstone son JOhn Livingstone and marion Elphinstone of Ardchattan, Argyll who died in 1958 at Achnaha, Morvern near Savary was buried and his gravestone is located at Keil Cemetery with other Livingstons connected to Donald Livingston 1728-1816. I found it interesting that Allan in later life returned to a farm apparently a short distance from Savary and died within walking distance of the croft of his ancestors or at least where it had been. At one time there were a number of Livingstons residing at Savary. In 1779 there were three brothers and their families including Donald Livingstone but with the death of Donald Livingstone's son Robert in 1856 his sister Ann left a croft at Savary where she had been living with brother RObert and went to live with her brother Alexander Livingstone elsewhere in Morvern. After that there does not appear to have been any Livingston families located in Savary. And I understand that the tenants living in Savary and nearby communities in MOrvern sometime in the 1860's were being evicted by their landlord. This just added to their difficulties as many of them were impoverished to begin with.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Descendants of Allan Livingstone and Margaret McLean

Hi John,

Achnaha Farm is just short walk east of the Savary River bridge. From a Ordnance Survey map from the 1800's that included the Savary area which includes Savary Mill on it I notice that the Mill was actually located on the north side of the Savary bridge and east side of the Savary river apparently. The river and Mill looks to be on the old map a little east of the main settlement of Savary. Allan Livingstone's death record from 1958 states that he was a retired shepherd at the time of his death. I dont know that he was the shepherd of Achnaha farm but that his death record and tombtone in Keil Cemetery near Lochaline indicate he died at Achnaha. Just to confuse things a bit there is also an Achnaha in the old Ardnamurchan Parish. And Allan's Livingston family was at one time in the 1800's at a place called Achacha in Barcaldine, Ardchattan so one could get easily confused. Someone erected a granite cemetery stone for Allan in Keil Cemetery near Lochaline in 1958 when he died. He may be the last descendant of Donald Livingstone of that family line as I dont see any evidence so far that he or his brothers Donald and George had any children. It is interesting in the course of researching the Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and Jean/Jane Stewart descendants that there were significant number of individuals who either did not marry or have children or the family line have long since died out. All this is making it a challenge to possibly locate any verifiable living descendants. So far the only living descendants of Donald Livingstone and Jean Stewart that I found are a brother and sister residing in Canada related through DOnald's Savary Miller son Adam Livingston who was the miller at Savary in the early 1800' and possibly late 1700's. There is one other person who was I located in Renfrewshire in more recent times who I also believe is a descendant of Donald And Jean whom I believe is probably still living and still residing in Scotland somewhere as I mentioned also a descendant of Donalds son Adam Livingston.

regards,

Donald