Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jan and John,

Apparently there are three villages with that name in Argyll I guess. Some of scottish gaelic village and old settlements of tenants in Western Argyll are a challenge to both spell and decipher from some of parish records to be sure. Especially for a Canadian like myself not familiar with gaelic. To further confuse things I have noticed more than spelling use for the name of old settlements in the records. I do a google search when in doubt and I usually can find currently used spelling but other times there is no record to determine what the correct spelling. Many a time I can't even make out the word not because it is in gaelic but because the handwriting is hard to read in some of the baptismal and marriage records.

I updated the Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes family tree that is with the original posting here to include the children of their daughter Mary Livingston and her husband Ferquhard McInnes. No one knows how to spell her husband's name even the minister or ministers who recorded the birth or baptismal records struggled with the spelling. I am still not certain what the correct spelling for Ferquhard is. No marriage record for them in Argyll apparently married I guess sometime before 1825 and the birth of their first child.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi All,

One of the challenges of researching or should I say the limitations of researching Morvern Livingstones is that there are no surving Parish Baptisms or Marriages recorded before the early 1800's. I have however worked out by other means this family tree of Livingstones and related kin of a Donald Livingstone and Catharine McInnis who resided in Morvern in late 1700's. This all came about as I was contacted by a descendant of their son Donald Livingstone and his Sarah Livingston who a Savary Livingstone by birth and the eldest daughter of Adam Livingston a miller of Savary in the early 1800's and a son of the famous Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and his wife Jean Jane Stewart who resided for many years at Savary, Morvern.

The family of Donald Livingstone and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

1.Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1788 in Morvern died February 6, 1868 in lochaline, Morvern married Myles McInnes b. abt. 1779 in Savary, Morvern died March 20, 1865 Lochaline, Morvern
Children of Myles McInnes and Catharine Livingston
1.Betty McInnes born January 18, 1818 (baptized July 30, 1818) in Savary, Morvern died January 17, 1912 in Lochaline, Morvern married abt. 1842 in Savary Donald Livingston born abt.1805 or 1806 in Portvada, Morvern died March 11, 1877 in Lochaline Village. (Betty's husband Donald in her 1912 obituary was said to be a great-great nephew of Donald Livingstone of Savary according to Betty's obituary in the Oban TImes. After her husband's death Betty became a Merchant at Lochaline and lived to be 94. A lengthy obituary and tribute to her was published in an 1912 issue of the Oban Times of Argyll. (Thanks to John Freeman for sending me that).

2. Angus McInnes born abt. 1820 in Savary, Morvern baptised August 27, 1820

2. Mary Livingston b. abt. 1790 in Morvern, died July 1, 1874 Lochaline, Morvern married Farquhard McInnes
Children of Mary Livingston and Farquhard McInnes
1. Donald McInnes born January 10, 1825 Sornagan,Morvern
2. John McInnes born January 1, 1827 Sornagan, Morvern
3. Janet McInnes born April 23, 1831 Sornagan,Morvern

3. Donald Livingston b. abt. 1794 or 1796 in Morvern died April 6, 1872 in Keil, Morvern married Sarah Livingston b. abt. 1813 in Savary, Morvern died March 17, 1891 in Lochaline,
Morvern. Donald's wife Sarah Livingston daughter of Adam Livingston Savary Miller and son of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816
Children of Donald Livingston and Sarah Livingston
1. Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1842 Savary, Morvern
2. Jane Livingston b. abt. 1844 Keil, Morvern
3. Janet Livingston b. abt. 1847 Keil, Morvern
4. Sarah Livingston b. abt. 1850 Keil, Morvern
5. Donald Livingston b.Sept 13, 1856 Keil, Morvern died August 10, 1933 in Balachulish, Argyll m. Annie McLean January 5,1886 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire ( The descendants in Canada thought it was Annie Mcleod but the marriage and death record of Donald indicates Ann McLean) Donald and Anne's son Donald David Livingston and his wife Jean came to Alberta, Canada in 1924.

4. Janet Livingston b. abt. 1798 in Morvern d. Oct.1,1867 Portmore, Tobermory, Mull married June 18, 1824 Morvern Peter McPherson born in Morvern
1. Donald McPherson born abt. 1825/1826 baptised March 23, 1826 Morvern,
2. Ann McPherson born abt. 1829 Morvern baptised January 21, 1829 in Ardchattan
3. John McPherson born abt. 1837 Morvern