Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

One of the challenges of researching or should I say the limitations of researching Morvern Livingstones is that there are no surving Parish Baptisms or Marriages recorded before the early 1800's. I have however worked out by other means this family tree of Livingstones and related kin of a Donald Livingstone and Catharine McInnis who resided in Morvern in late 1700's. This all came about as I was contacted by a descendant of their son Donald Livingstone and his Sarah Livingston who a Savary Livingstone by birth and the eldest daughter of Adam Livingston a miller of Savary in the early 1800's and a son of the famous Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and his wife Jean Jane Stewart who resided for many years at Savary, Morvern.

The family of Donald Livingstone and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

1.Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1788 in Morvern died February 6, 1868 in lochaline, Morvern married Myles McInnes b. abt. 1779 in Savary, Morvern died March 20, 1865 Lochaline, Morvern
Children of Myles McInnes and Catharine Livingston
1.Betty McInnes born January 18, 1818 (baptized July 30, 1818) in Savary, Morvern died January 17, 1912 in Lochaline, Morvern married abt. 1842 in Savary Donald Livingston born abt.1805 or 1806 in Portvada, Morvern died March 11, 1877 in Lochaline Village. (Betty's husband Donald in her 1912 obituary was said to be a great-great nephew of Donald Livingstone of Savary according to Betty's obituary in the Oban TImes. After her husband's death Betty became a Merchant at Lochaline and lived to be 94. A lengthy obituary and tribute to her was published in an 1912 issue of the Oban Times of Argyll. (Thanks to John Freeman for sending me that).

2. Angus McInnes born abt. 1820 in Savary, Morvern baptised August 27, 1820

2. Mary Livingston b. abt. 1790 in Morvern, died July 1, 1874 Lochaline, Morvern married Farquhard McInnes
Children of Mary Livingston and Farquhard McInnes
1. Donald McInnes born January 10, 1825 Sornagan,Morvern
2. John McInnes born January 1, 1827 Sornagan, Morvern
3. Janet McInnes born April 23, 1831 Sornagan,Morvern

3. Donald Livingston b. abt. 1794 or 1796 in Morvern died April 6, 1872 in Keil, Morvern married Sarah Livingston b. abt. 1813 in Savary, Morvern died March 17, 1891 in Lochaline,
Morvern. Donald's wife Sarah Livingston daughter of Adam Livingston Savary Miller and son of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816
Children of Donald Livingston and Sarah Livingston
1. Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1842 Savary, Morvern
2. Jane Livingston b. abt. 1844 Keil, Morvern
3. Janet Livingston b. abt. 1847 Keil, Morvern
4. Sarah Livingston b. abt. 1850 Keil, Morvern
5. Donald Livingston b.Sept 13, 1856 Keil, Morvern died August 10, 1933 in Balachulish, Argyll m. Annie McLean January 5,1886 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire ( The descendants in Canada thought it was Annie Mcleod but the marriage and death record of Donald indicates Ann McLean) Donald and Anne's son Donald David Livingston and his wife Jean came to Alberta, Canada in 1924.

4. Janet Livingston b. abt. 1798 in Morvern d. Oct.1,1867 Portmore, Tobermory, Mull married June 18, 1824 Morvern Peter McPherson born in Morvern
1. Donald McPherson born abt. 1825/1826 baptised March 23, 1826 Morvern,
2. Ann McPherson born abt. 1829 Morvern baptised January 21, 1829 in Ardchattan
3. John McPherson born abt. 1837 Morvern
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes of Morvern

Hi All,
I found this record pertaining to the son of Donald Livingston and Ann McLean of Balachulish which should be of interest to the descendants of their son Donald David Livingston in Canada.
The son of Donald Livingston (1856-1933) and Ann McLean of Balachulish, Argyll, Donald David Livingston and his wife Jean arrived in Canada aboard the SS Marburn on March 24, 1924. His occupation was Salesman and age given 37 years. His birthplace Ballachulish and his father listed as D. Livingston of Benver Ho, Balachulish. He and his wife our destined to journey by CPR train to Calgary Alberta where his brother-in-law M.W Currie resides and to seek permanent residency in Canada. This should be of some interest to the two descendants of Donald, ANn and their son Donald David Livingstone.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

Betty McInnes born 1818 daughter of Miles McInnes of Savary and his wife Catharine Livingston Married Donald Livingston b. abt. 1820 said to be a great-grand nephew of Donald Livingstone and Jean Stewart of Savary.

Children of Betty McInnes and Donald Livingston of Achabegg, Morvern were:
1. Margaret Livingston born abt. 1842
2. Duncan Livingston born abt. 1845
3. Catharine Livingston born abt. 1848
4. John Livingston born abt. 1851
5. Christy Livingston born May 14, 1856 Achabegg, Morvern

Duncan Livingston born abt. 1845 Morvern m. Christina McLean in Kelvin, Glasgow on January 29, 1876

The 1881 Scottish Census records Duncan, his wife Christina and family residing at Anderton, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Duncan Livingston b. Morvern age 33
Christina Livingston age 28
Donald Livingston age 3 b. Glasgow
Hector Livingston age 1 b. Glasgow

I lost them after the 1881 Census and I have no idea where they went after the 1881. If I understand correctly Duncan's mothers 1912 obituary then would seem likely that Duncan and his father Donald are descended from a brother of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 possibly Hugh (Ewen) Livingston who lived near to him at Savary with his family.
Misty

Post by Misty »

My family line from Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes of Morvern
Janet Livingstone born 1798 Morvern Argyll, Scotland Married Peter McPherson 18 Jun 1824 Morvern,Argyll,Scotland
Died 01 Oct 1867 Portmore, Tobermory Argyll Scotland ( got her father and mother name from her death cert).
Ann McPherson born 28 Jan 1829 Ardchattan, Argyll, Scotland Married Duncan Campbell 06 Mar 1850 Tyree, Argyll,
Died 04 Apr 1912 21 Stafford Street Helensburgh Scotland.( father and mother name from death cert)
Janet Campbell born 31 Oct 1856 Coll, Argyll, Scotland Married Thomas Whyte 02 Dec 1884 Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Died 07 Feb 1909 Elderslie Renfrewshire Scotland ( father and mother names from Marriage and death certs )
Annie McPherson Whyte 1885 New Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Married James McFarlane Cowan 27 Apr 1908
Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland Died 1977 Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland (father and mother names from Marriage cert )( my great gran )
Janet Campbell Cowan 21 Nov 1909 Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland Married James Thorpe 05 Jun 1937Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland ( my gran and grandfather )
Janet Cowan Thorpe born in Paisley Scotland now living in Suffolk England.
Last edited by Misty on Sun May 31, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Misty,

Thanks for that. It is great that you found that info on your ancestor and there is one more member of the Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes Morvern family that we know about now. I was not sure how you were connected to Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnes but all that detailed information makes it clear. I added Janet Livingston to the list I had created of the known Children of Donald Livingston and Catharine Mcinnes of Morvern and included Janet in the previous forum posting of May 15th.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Misty,

Circa 1841 and 1851 Peter and Janet McPherson are located in the Tyree and Coll Island area of Argyll. In the 1851 Census Peter McPherson is the head shepherd at Gallonach on the Isle of Coll. The ages vary as is often the case from census to census as they do in these two census records and are from time to time recorded at the time incorrect but hopefully some of this census info is helpful to your research.

1841 Census Tiree and Coll, Argyll Briachachos? (I think that should be Breachacha on the Isle of Coll)

Peter Mcpherson age 40
Janet Mcpherson age 35
Donald Mcpherson age 14
Ann Mcpherson age 12
John McPherson age 4

1851 Census Tyree and Coll Gallonach Isle of Coll, Argyll (I think it should be Gallanach, Isle of Coll)
Peter Mcpherson age 52 born Morvern Head Shepherd
Janet McPherson age 57 born Morvern
Donald Mcpherson age 27 born Morvern
Anne Mcpherson age 21 born Morvern
John McPherson age 14 born Morvern

regards,
Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Misty/Donald,

I had a look at Tyree & Coll records, & found the following;

1. Catherine McInnes b. abt. 21 Oct. 1794 at Ruaig, Tyree

f. Archibald, m. Mary McLean.

2. Donald Livingstone - m - Catherine McInnes abt. ??.
Daughter Janet b. abt. 1798 ?? Tyree/Coll.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Thanks for that.

regards,

Donald
Misty

Post by Misty »

Hello Donald & John
Thanks for the info about the Livingstone's I am just back from a week holiday so just started reading the forum so look forward to finding out more about the livingston.
I look on google maps for Gallanach and found it south of Oban not on Isle of Coll is there two Gallanach.
thanks again
Jan
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Jan & Donald,

Just checked on Gallanach, the one near Oban is not a place name, it's the name of a street or road in North Connel, about 1.5 miles from Oban.

There is another Gallanach on the Isle of Muck, & one on Coll, the one on Coll is situated on the coast, slightly southwest of Coll cemetery, spelling is Gallenach.

I would say spelling of Breachacha is correct, it is situated on the southeast coast,

John