Alexander Livingston and Margaret Stewart

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Alexander Livingston and Margaret Stewart

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,
I done a bit of revision on the family line of this Donald Livingstone and Jane/Jean Stewart' and youngest known son Alexander Livingstone that I mentioned in a recent Parnassus article on Donald Livingtone's next of kin born in Savary, Morvern. I have had some trouble determining the approximate birth years because the ages included in the census records seem to vary from census to census and have not been that helpful in determining a precise birth date. Something important that I was missed was the fact that their was an elder daughter Christina who resided in Glasgow and that their youngest daughter Betsy (Elizabeth Livingston) married a Duncan McVicar a sailor in the 1860's. From time to time I find new information so it is inevitable that updates and indeed corrections of family info will have to made. I hope to make the addition/correction in the next edition of Parnassus.

Alexander Livingston retired (meal miller) b. abt 1783 probably in Savary, Morvern died December 23,1864 Barr, Morvern and his wife Margaret Stewart b. abt. 1801 Appin, Argyll died unknown. Last known residence of widow Margaret Livingston age 80 Barr, Morvern 1881 Census. Alexander Livingston is recorded as 77 years of age in the 1861 Census done likely before the end of the year and in his death record 81 at the time of his death December 23, 1864 so I think it likely he was born in 1783 rather than 1784.
1.Duncan Livingstone b. abt. 1819 in Morvern died in childhood?
2. Mary Stewart Livingstone b. abt. 1821 in Morvern died unknown in Morvern?
3. Christina Livingston b. abt. 1825 in Morvern died Nov. 1, 1906 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire (not married) A "McVIcar" her "nephew" is mentioned in her death record)
(not mentioned in either the Morvern baptismal records or in the Morvern census records but Christina's death clearly states she is the daughter of Alexander Livingston (meal miller) and Margaret Stewart and her name appears on the monument with brother Robert Stewart Livingston in the Keil Cemetery in Morvern.)
4. Robert Stewart Livingston b. abt. 1826 in Morvern died February 24, 1903 Kelvin District, Glasgow, Lanarkshire (not married)
5. Elizabeth (Betsy) Livingston b. abt. 1838/1840 in Morvern died unknown m. Duncan McVicar sailor b. abt. 1836 Lochaline, Morvern (They married October 17, 1867 Helensburgh, Parish of Row, County of Dunbarton,Scotland and had two sons Duncan and Alexander McVIcar born by the time of the 1871 Census. In the 1881 Census Elizabeth McVicar her sons Duncan and Alexander McVicar are living with her elderly mother Margaret Livingston age 80 at the widower's home at Barr, Morvern along with Elizabeth's brother Robert and sister Mary Livingston.

Interestingly there is a granite gravestone in Keil Cemetery, Morvern where the Savary Livingstones are buried, erected in memory of Robert Stewart Livingston and sister Christina Livingston. Mary's name is also on the stone but no birth or death date has been recorded on the stone. No doubt some people are puzzled why there are no apparent graves of Donald Livingstone's children in Keil Cemetery. I am pretty certain his son Robert and other children are likely buried there but due to their poverty they were possibly never given a cemetery stone or at one which has survived over the years. Robert Stewart Livington as mentioned a grandson of Donald Livingstone is located in close proximity to the 18th Livingstone table tomb erected by Donald Livingstone in 1760 for his father John Livingstone who died in 1757 and for his mother Anna McInnis. I think it is presumed that Donald Livingstone and his wife Jean/Jane Stewart are also buried beside this elaborate tomb, though there is no original marker or inscription indicating precisely where old Donald and his wife were buried. In more recent times a memorial was placed by the old table tomb in memory of Donald Livingstone.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Alexander Livingston and Margaret Stewart

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

Alexander was apparently the youngest child of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern and his Jean (Jane) Stewart.
This was my updated family list of Alexander Livingston.

regards,

Donald