Shiaba, Ross of Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Shiaba, Ross of Mull

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

I was wondering if you saw this interesting write up on the Ross of Mull settlement at Shiaba where you ancestor Angus Livingston 1775-1846 and his kin resided early on. Very well researched and informative. Includes a detailed map. I had not seen this before I don't think.

http://www.mull-historical-society.co.u ... ns/shiaba/

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Re: Shiaba, Ross of Mull

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I've not seen this particular write up on Shiaba, so thanks. I'm hoping to get a visit to Islay shortly, don't think I'll make it to Mull, unfortunately,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Shiaba, Ross of Mull

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Bit of my own Livingston family trivia and Islay connection. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston b.1775 Morvern, Argyll and his wife Janet/Janette Livingston married June 20,1812 Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Islay. Church of Scotland minister of the old Round Church at Bowmore recorded their marriage and as they were not from Kilarrow Parish made a special note that they were"natives of Morvern" in his entry that day. A day or two later the married couple was off to Sligo Ireland aboard the Schooner "Staffa" where they boarded the "Robert Taylor" with a number of Mull and Islay settlers and some Irish folks heading for Settlement at Lord Selkirks Red RIver Colony in British North America.

Regretably there are no birth or baptismal records for Movern Parish before 1803 but oddly enough there is a records of a "Myles Livingstone" the son of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell of Cloichlea, Island of lismore baptized in 1775. I was able to determine from an early settler list with ages recorded from the early 1800's in the Red River Colony of Lord Selkirk in then British North America,that he was born around 1775. Given that Myles (Miles) Livingston was not as Baron Livingston a common name in Western Argyll and seems to only appear in the 1700's and early 1800's in Lismore and neighbouring Morvern it is indeed an interesting coincidence that my ancestor born abt 1775 states he was born in Morvern or was recorded as being born in Morvern when there was a Myles/Miles Livingston born/baptized on the neighbouring small island of Lismore. Perhaps Miles stated he was born on the Island of Lismore and his wife Janet on mainland Morvern and in haste the Church of SCotland minister recorded their origin as Morvern. Well I quess I will never know.

Miles was a boatbuilder/barrel maker who apparently had been living and working on the Isle of Islay for a few years and he was recruited in 1811/1812 by a highland recruiter of Lord Selkirk for a settlement he was establishing along the Red River on land he had acquired in Hudsons Bay Company territory in British North AMerica. A second Livingston boatbuilder whose family resided on Isle of islay Donald Livingston b. abt. 1791 was also recruited for the Colony and travelled on the same ship with my ancestor Miles Livngston, Miles son Donald b. abt. 1796-1862 from his first marriage and his Miles second wife "Jessie" Livingston who is actually Janet Livingston. Jessie was her nickname. INterestingly, the other livingston boatbuilder travelling to British North America with Miles on the Hudson Bay Company vessel " RObert Taylor" was a great-great-great Uncle of Jerry Schmidt one of our fellow Clan Society members. Later this Donald Livingston's father Neil Livingston and the rest of family joined Donald at Lord Selkirks Red River Colony around 1819 I think it was and one of those was a brother of Donald who was Jerry's ancestor. Jerry and I have reason to suspect that Donald's livngston family that were in Islay in the early 1800's also likely originally of Morvern origin and possibly related to my ancestor Miles Livingston. A deposition from the early 1800's from the Red River colony by a Donald Livingston indicates that he was born in Morvern Parish, Argyll. I believe it was from Jerry's Uncle Donald Livingston and not from MIles Livingston's son Donald Livingston. For these reasons Jerry and I have some reason to suspect we may be distant cousins.

THe original CHurch of Scotland Round CHurch building at Bowmore is in fact still there looking pretty much as it it did I would assume when my great-great-great grandparents were married. So like your Livingstons I also have a bit of an Islay connection. My ancestor Miles Livingston did some boat building when in years after he settled in Canada and later in life was a barrel maker. Baron Livingston at one time pointed out to me that Islay with it's whiskey trade would no doubt have had a need for barrel making and perhaps that is where my ancestor learned to make barrels.

regards,

Donald