Looking for living relatives

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
D.W.Livingston

Looking for living relatives

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Everyone,

Normally we go back in time from me, to my father, grand father, great grand father, etc. and then branch off to aunts and uncles and children of my grand parents, great grand parents, etc. Has anyone had any good experience finding current relatives from old records? So if I know my GGGrandparents had 7 kids, and my GGrandmother was one,she had my Grand father and no other siblings (that I know to date). I know some of the marriage and births from my GGrand Uncles/Aunts but it all ends around 1910, because I stopped looking before they opened birth/death to 2013.... Now I will be going to Scotland next June and thought it would be interesting to find family still living there from when my Grandfather left in the 1940's.

My question is what is the best way to use Scotland People to work my way up to current time? I see that for births it has surname and forename but not parents names...

Like I have a Mary Darling Livingston, neice of my GGRandmother Agnes Pryde Livingston (born Nov 18, 1891) was born on June 18, 1905 and married a John White on April 6th, 1926....

A George Pryde Livingston (born Nov 12, 1869 ) married a Elizabeth Hennessey on October 28, 1890.... They were the parents of Mary Darling Livingston.

Any thoughts or ideas the best way to find current living relatives is greatly appreciated.
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
jmlivingstone

Re: Looking for living relatives

Post by jmlivingstone »

David,

Stirling has two local newspapers, the Stirling News & Stirling Observer, it might be worth contacting them, I see articles quite often in Scottish newspapers, requesting assistance in tracing family members. Presumably, Edinburgh also has a local newspaper, might be worth a try,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi David,
How are you? I recall we explored your ancestral line several years ago but I don't remember the details now.
Did your father arrive by himself or with his brother sisters and Mother and Father in the 1940's? Your kin and their kin would be in the 1911 Census I assume which is the latest census available through Scotland's People that you mentioned. So you could locate kin of your grandfather and father and their kin circa 1911 and the town where they lived in that census. Unfortunately all your Livingston relatives listed in the 1911 Census including infants are no longer living. Scotland's peoples does have marriage and birth records after 1911 so you could try and locate some specific Livingston cousins and some family members in later years of your father through that means. THat would however be a time consuming venture.

Perhaps locate some your father's closely related Livingston relatives in the 1911 census and then look them up in ancestry.com or ancestry.co.uk and see if anyone of their descendants has submitted family tree information including more recent family information that would be of some help in locating more recent kin. If your lucky enough to find someone from Scotland researching a Livingstone cousin and kin of your Dad or grandfather through ancestry.com you could contact them via ancestry.com.

John's suggestion is a good one. My cousin was looking for family in Northern Ireland before making a trip to County Antrim some years ago now and put an advertisement in a newspaper over there and actually got a couple of responses from distant cousins. THe family had almost died out in Northern Ireland by the late 20th century so they were no doubt interested that a branch of the family continued to thrive in North America.

regards,

Donald
Margaret Stewart

Post by Margaret Stewart »

Hello David,
I have traced one branch of Mary Darling Livingston's grandchildren, gt .grandchidren and gt.gt.grandchildren living in Stirling. I have an address but because these people are living I don't think I should put their details on an open forum. If you could PM me your email address I will send the details to you.
Kind regards

Margaret
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Thank you Margaret :)
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States