Neil Livingston and Mary McIlriach

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
rmg1901

Neil Livingston and Mary McIlriach

Post by rmg1901 »

We are descendants of Neil Livingston and Mary McIlriach who had seven known children: Elizabeth b. 1796 Dunach, Kilmore & Kilbride; John b. 1798 Kiell, Ardchattan; Donald b. 1800 Kiell; James b. 1802 Kiell; Alexander b. 1804 Kiell; Archibald (our g-g-grandfather) b. 1807 Kenloch, Ardchattan; and Duncan b. 1810 Kenloch.
We'd be grateful for any information on Elizabeth b. 1796, Donald b. 1800 and Duncan b. 1810.
Happy to exchange information on the other children.
rmg1901

Re: Neil Livingston and Mary McIlriach

Post by rmg1901 »

Hi John
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately I was the contributor for the information on Neil and Mary in the first two links! The information came to me long ago from Scottish researcher Fiona Sinclair. However, as I've recently been updating our Livingston history prior to a trip to Scotland with my two sisters next year, I thought I'd try to fill in the gaps beforehand. So far no luck. However if for any reason you're interested in seeing the information we do have, do feel free to ask.
Thanks again, John
Kind regards
Robyn
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Robyn,

Just spotted the info below in a site called curiousfox.com, it was posted June 2006, so possibly one of your own enquiries, although it appears the writer did not know where the families moved after Scotland.

LIVINGSTON, McILRIACH Oban
Looking for information on descendants of Neil LIVINGSTON & Mary McILRIACH or McILWRAITH m. c.1795. Children: Elizabeth b. 1796 Kilmore & Kilbride, John b.1798, Donald b.1800, James b. 1802, Alexander b.1804 and Duncan b.1810, all in Ardchattan. Thought to have migrated to America and Canada. Have information on Archibald b. 1807 Ardchattan.

We are always grateful for any info posted on the site, it certainly makes life easier for future researchers,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Robyn and John,

I noticed from the Kilmore and Kilbride Parish records that Elizabeth's entry stated she was born or baptized in 1796 at Dunach and from that I assume that Neil and his wife were perhaps somewhere on the Dunach Estate of the then McDougall family south of Oban at that point in time and sometime after 1796 moved perhaps closer to Archattan Estate north of Oban.

The Maclea Livingstones in the Oban area shared a long history and friendship with the McDougalls of Dunollie and Dunach. Indeed while the McDougalls were at one time a very important family in the history of highlands, they recognized with great respect that the Maconleas (Maclea Livingstones) were one of the oldest clans in Western Argyll. Like the McDougalls in Kilmore and Kilbride Parish our clan had often found themselves in conflict with the more powerful Campbells in Western Argyll going back for a few centuries since the Duke of Argyll and his Campbell kin began confiscating the land of neighbouring clans in Argyllshire. In the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715 the legendary Clan Chief Ian Ciar McDougall of Donollie could count on his trusted servant Maconlea (Livingstone) to always be there with him. And during the Civil War of the 1640's the Maconleas (Livingstones) fought side by side with the McDougalls of Dunollie and after a major battle in 1647 at Dunaverty in Kintyre, several of our clansmen were taken prisoner along with large number of their allies the McDougalls of Dunollie and put to the sword.

The McDougalls of Dunollie were punished for having participated in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715 and had only had their property returned in 1745 when the another Jacobite Rebellion this time led by Bonnie Prince Charlie broke out. Clan CHief Alexander McDougall son of Ian Ciar was with good reason hesitant to get involved in another Rebellion that he felt could ruin his family and his Clan this time round and decided to stay it out. Clan Maclea Livingstone ardent Jacobites supporters of the bold young prince Charles were recruited into the Appin Regiment of the local Stewarts of Appin in Western Argyllshire and the Appin Regiment was at the decisive Battle of Culloden in April 1746 when Bonnie Prince Charlie's Jacobite armies were defeated by those of the English King's son the Duke of Cumberland.

regards,

Donald
rmg1901

Post by rmg1901 »

Thank you John, for the entry in Curious Fox. Yes indeed, it was another of my own postings! But I'm grateful for your interest.

Thank you Donald, for the interesting background regarding Livingstone/McDougall relationships. I shall be able to weave this information into the written history of our Livingston line. I see in our family tree that Flora, daughter of Mary Livingston & Alexander McCulloch, married a McDougall in 1833 Kilmore & Kilbride. I have a photo of Flora with her children Mary, Duncan and Maggie.
Kind regards, rmg1901