Middle River Livingstones

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
MidRiverLivs

Middle River Livingstones

Post by MidRiverLivs »

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am the great granddaughter of Angus Livingstone b. 12/16/1885 of Alexander L. & Ann McDonald. Census logs from 1871-1901 have the family living in Middle River. I would like to trace them back to Scotland and to find out where Alexander & other members may be buried. I believe that others are also researching Middle River Livingstones. Thanks so much!
Greg Livingston

Re: Middle River Livingstones

Post by Greg Livingston »

Welcome to our forum. We have some great researchers here and the should be in with some information for you soon. Good luck on your genealogy research.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Welcome to the Clan McLea Livingstone Forum,
There was at one time some years ago now, a long discussion here regarding a much older Angus Livingston and his family of Bras d'or Boularderie not too far from the Middle River you mention in Victoria County, Cape Breton but he was a former sailor from HMS.Royal George that guarded the English Channel from an invasion from Napoleon, boatbuilder and veteran of the Napoleonic War who settled after the war in the Bras d'or Boularderie area where some descendants still reside. He was given a land grant around 1816 I think it was and signficantly named it "Kilninian" which is in fact a major parish in Mull in Western Argyllshire. It is Mull in Western Argyllshire where most of the Cape Breton Livingstons ancestors who settled throughout the island seem to have originated from in the 1800's.

Sorry I am not familiar unfortunately with the Angus Livingston b. 1885 you mentioned from Middle River, Victoria County son of an Alexander and Ann Livingston. Perhaps I am missing some information. The earliest info I have of Livingstons in Middle River is from the 1881 Census Record which records ALexander Livingston born in Scotland about 1821 and his wife Ann born abt. 1828 in Nova Scotia who had a son ANgus born abt. 1854 in Cape Breton. The 1871 and 1881 Census for Middle River seems to indicate they are were the only ALexander and Ann Livingston in 1871 and 1881. Their children were in recorded in that period Flora, Angus, John, Catherine, Rory or Roderick,Duncan, and Simon. Fro the census info it is clear that this ALexander Livingston was born abt. 1821 in Scotland and married in the late 1840's or early 1850's in Nova Scotia possibly in Cape Breton. In the 1901 Canadian Census Alexander indicates that he was born in Scotland on December 20 1823 and interestingly states that he arrrived in Nova Scotia in the year 1835. His wife Ann states she was born March 1 1827 in Nov Scotia and Bell Livingston an elderly sister of Alexander states she was born in Scotland March 17 1805 and also arrived in Nova Scotia in 1835. So they were one of the last of the Scottish pioneer Livingstons to settle in the Inverness and neighbouring Victoria County Cape Breton area from what I can tell. This was the only Alexander and Ann Livingston I found in Middle River but did not find a son born Angus born to them in 1885. I would suspect this Alexander Livington born abt. 1821 was born somewhere in Western Argyllshire Scotland as virtually all of the Cape Breton Livingstons settler in the early 1800's were. Alexander must have arrived in Nova Scotia after 1821 sometime then. The Livingstone of Bras d'or Boularderie arrived about 1816 or something like that and over east a bit in Inverness COunty the Mabou or Mull River John Livingston Sr. arrived around in the 1820's from Mull, Scotland which is where many of the Cape Breton Livingstons originated as did old ANgus LIvingston of Bras'd'or Boularderie who named his land grant Kilninian which is a major parish in Mull in Western Argyllshire in the highlands of Scotland.

If I find any more info on Angus Livingston you mentioned I will keep you posted. In the mean time perhaps other Cape Breton Livingston researchers more familiar with the LIvingstons of Middle River, VIctoria County, Cape Breton may have some be able to provide some assistance.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Clan Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
MidRiverLivs

Post by MidRiverLivs »

Thanks so much for this information, especially the connection to Mull. The d.o.b. info I posted for Angus was wrong, he was the one born about 1852. He was, apparently, the first of the family to leave Cape Breton, arriving in Massachusetts around 1872.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi,

Yes I thought that you might be referring to the apparent eldest son Angus born in the 1850's son of Alexander and Ann. It is interesting that there were other Atlantic Canada Livingston families that ended up in Massachusetts. Being relatively close to Nova Scotia and PEI I guess would explain that. I have been working on research with a Livingston gentleman from Massachusetts who is connected to two Livingston brothers likely from Mull, Argyllshire who settled in Prince Edward Island sometime before 1841. He lives in California but grew up in Massachusetts. He and his elderly father have visited the old graveyard in PEI where his ancestor is buried a few years ago. I think his grandfather was the one who first settled in Massachusetts in the late 1800's or early 1900's I think it was. No relation to your Livingston family though we are finding through our Clan Maclea Livingstone genealogy DNA project that many of these Nova Scotia and neighbouring PRince Edward Island highland Livingston families shared a more ancient ancestor some centuries ago back in Western Argyll, Scotland. I think the forum has been contacted in the past by a few Livingstons whose family story was one of Atlantic Canada Livingston family that migrated to Massachusetts interestingly enough in the late 1800's or early 1900's.

Yes I see now that your Angus is recorded residing in Middle River, Victoria County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in the 1871 and 1881 census with his parents Alexander and Ann and according to the 1900 U.S Census Angus Livingston was born in Nova Scotia in April of 1852 and came to Massachusetts in the year 1880. The 1900 Census also tells us that he was married in 1885 to his wife Lennie m. Livingston was born in Nova Scotia in July 1863. They are living in Saugas, Essex County, Mass. Also there is information in the 1880 U.S Census that a Angus Livingston born abt. 1854 in Nova Scotia was residing in Lynnfield, Essex County, Mass. Perhaps at the time he lived in both the U.S and Canada before finally settling permanently in Mass. Also the 1900 Census records at this time their one son Harry A. Livingston born September of 1886 in Massachusetts according to that Census. Not sure what happened to Angus Livingston after the 1900 Census. I think his wife Lennie died around 1900 but not 100 percent certain. Their only son Harry A. Livingston then appears in the 1920 Census at Holyoke, Hampden, Massachusetts with his wife Mary J. Livingston born abt. 1885 in Massachusetts and with a son Harry R. Livingston born abt. 1914 in Mass. and two daughters Barbara born abt. 1918 and Phylis born abt. 1920 in Mass. The family is also recorded in same area in the subsequent 1930 and 1940 Census. I assume that you are descended from Angus Livingston's son Harry A. Livingston. Most of this information you probably already have but this gives me a basic sense of the settlement history of your Livingston family.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Great work, Donald! And I hope this helps you out, Donald is incredibly resourceful and knowledgeable about all of these families, work he has undertaken with John and others over the years.

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
MidRiverLivs

Post by MidRiverLivs »

Donald,
Thank you so much for this comprehensive report! Indeed I am Barbara's daughter. The story of Angus is actually interesting. His wife Lennie left him with 8 year old Harry and ran away to join a traveling theater troupe! Angus and my grandfather then headed west to the Washington territories where Angus worked as a rural postman (on horseback) and eventually to Alaska. They had many adventures together before Harry joined the merchant navy at age 16 and settled in Seattle for a time before returning to Massachusetts. I do hope to make the trip up to Cape Breton at some point to try to find Alexander and Ann's burial spot. Cheers!
Canadian Livingstone

Hello again,
Interestingly enough I knew from past research and my list of early pioneer Cape Breton Livingston families that there were Livingstons at MIddle River but I myself had contact with Livingstons in the past connected to relatively nearby Judique/Port Hood, Mabou/Mull River/Skye Mt. Inverness County and Boularderie/Bras d'or Victoria County, Cape BReton. Your family information is yet another piece of important information in the study of Cape Breton Livingstones in what was and still is a sizeable and significant highland community in Nova Scotia.
I think the next question would be if as Alexander Livingston born abt. 1821 in Scotland states that he came to Nova Scotia presumingly arriving in Cape Breton in 1835 then at the age of about 14 years did he arrive with his parents and if so who were they? The 1901 Census also tells us that a Bell Livingston an older sister born abt. 1805 arrived also in 1805. from Scotland. So one suspects Alexander arrived likely arrived in 1835 with his parents or at least with other family members such as this Bell Livingston. I don't see any records for Middle River before the 1871 Census but no doubt there is something. Census records for Cape Breton if they do exist at all before 1871 won't tell you much about the family but might include the head of household prior to 1871. Sometimes there are early tax lists or militia lists that include local residents. I am not familiar with early Cape Breton land records, but if Alexander was granted or purchased his land there is some chance that there is a old paper trail that still survives with that info. IF there is a Middle River historical society you could check with those folks and see if there are any old information on Alexander Livingston or any other Livingstons arriving in the Middle River in the 1830's or later. If they were tenants or squatters when they first arrived in the 1830's then chances are there may be no documentation regarding their early setttlement in the Middle River area. Anyways there are likely some folks in Victoria County, Cape Breton and perhaps even in the Middle River vicinity who have much greater knowledge than I regarding the possibility of any early records existing for Alexander or any other Livingstons that might have been situated at Middle River in the 1830's and 1840's presuming that is where ALex first settled in Cape Breton.
Canadian Livingstone

Hello again,

I am assuming that Alexander and his wife Ann died sometime following the 1901 Canadian census and if they did not join their son in Massacchusetts then they may be buried perhaps in the Middle River Presbyterian Church Cemetery as they were Presbyterians. In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia the Middle RIver Historical Society published a transcription book for this Cemetery in 2007 which is 319 pages long as I think includes comprehensive information extracted from those stones still legible. THere is some chance that they were buried in that cemetery sometime after their last census of 1901. Just guessing probably sometime between 1901 and 1921 if they are in there. Did not find either Alex or Ann so far in the 1911 Census but maybe I missed them. YOur best bet is to contact the MIddle River Historical Society. I wonder what happened to the rest of family of Alexander and Ann besides Angus? Did any of them remain in the Middle River Area. That is probably something else you will want find out. The cemetery information may or may not prove to be helpful depending on whether or not there are any family buried there.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hello again,

Found a registered birth for Alexander Livingston and Annie McDonald's younger children a Duncan Livingston birth date recorded as May 20 1866 in Middle River and includes in the ledger the date of their marriage in Middle River which was simply dated as 1848. This may be the only mention of their marriage date anywhere. Not sure, but is probably the correct year of their marriage in Middle River and it also establishes that he and his wife were in Middle River by at least 1848 and the 1901 Census tells us that Alexander arrived in Nova Scotia in 1835 with other family possibly his parents who are unknown. The Middle River cemetery records are recorded in a published book by the Middle River Historical Society so there could be a gravestone there for ALex and Annie and other family members. The other youngest son Simon Livingston farmer I have info was born in March 1866 and died APril 12, 1939 in MIddle River. Parent listed were Alexander Livingston born Scotland and Annie McDonald, born Nova Scotia. Unfortunately and disapointedly I have not been able to find either Alexander or Annie McDonald's death record as yet. I assume they also died in Middle River.

regards,

Donald