Middle River Livingstones

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
MidRiverLivs

Re: Middle River Livingstones

Post by MidRiverLivs »

Hello Donald
Just to keep you updated on my search: I have determined that Ann McDonald, wife to Alexander Livingstone, left Middle River after Alexander's death to live with her son Duncan in NJ and later with daughter Flora in MA, where she died Jan 22, 1914. So Alexander did indeed die sometime between 1901 and 1910 when Ann is listed as widow in MA. Flora married James E Spencer from Nova Scotia then went to US. Catherine may have also moved to NJ based on some notes my mother had, perhaps from interviewing her father. That leaves Simon,whom you note never left, and Roderick and John who perhaps stayed behind as well. As to Alexander's parents, the same notes refer to John Livingstone and Mary McRae as his parents. Since Alex was only 14 when he arrived, I am thinking the whole family all came over. Old family scribbles can be very unreliable though! I did reach out, through the Middle River Historical Society, to Peggy Macleod to see if they have any info on John.
All my best, Martha
MidRiverLivs

Post by MidRiverLivs »

Another update on the Middle River Livingstone's: Peggy Macleod at the historical society tells me that John Livingstone, father of Alexander settled on Livingstone Mt in Middle River. A search of Livingstone Mt led me to an article by Jim St Clair who links Alexander & Ann McDonald to a John Livingstone whose family were second cousins of Dr David. This was a development completely unexpected!
http://www.victoriastandard.ca/uploads/ ... _20-19.pdf
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Martha,

That is interesting. I had not seen that article before.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hello again,

Sorry to say Alexander Livingston and his wife Annie of Middle River, Victoria County, Cape Breton were not listed in the Middle River Cemetery book I looked through today and don't appear to have been buried there. Perhaps the Middle River Historical Society might have some thoughts where else they might have been buried or have that information. I also don't see any Nova Scotia death records for them. There deaths don't seem to have been registered I suspect. Still a good chance they are in a cemetery somewhere nearby to the Middle River area.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Anna Livingston left Middle River after the death of her husband sometime between 1901 and 1910 and appears in the 1910 U.S Census in Jersey City, New Jersey living with her son Duncan Livingston and his wife Mary Elizabeth Sadler who he married in New Jersey in 1895. This then is the last census in which Anna Livingston is recorded before her death in 1914.

1910 Census Jersey City Ward 9 Hudson, New Jersey
Duncan Livingston born Canada age 43
Mary E. Livingston born New Jersey age 42
Vincent Livingston born New Jersey age 13
Anna Livingston born Canada age 82

1900 Census Jersey City Ward 9 Hudson, New Jersey
Duncan Livingston born Nova Scotia age 37 born March 1863
Mary Livingston born New Jersey age 36 born October 1863
Vincent Livingston born New Jersey age 3 born August 1896
Nellie Skiffinton born New Jersey age 12 Boarder July 1887

As you mentioned Anna Livingston died January 22, 1914

Here is her death record info: