Livingstons of Northern Mull, Argyll, Kilninian Parish

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Livingstons of Northern Mull, Argyll, Kilninian Parish

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

I have been assisting in some Livingston family research this time on the opposite end of Mull from your Livingston family, in Kilninan Parish in Northern Mull. I think I have found two Livingston families from Kilninian Parish that settled in Cape Breton in 1819 and the early 1820's both possibly related and from now long ago abandoned and cleared tenant settlement of Penmore in Northern Mull. Neither of them has left a paper trail making it precisely clear where in Kilninian Parish they came from but there is enough information to make it clear that the two families originated from Kilninian Parish, in Northern Mull. I know the history of these two families in Cape Breton, the challenge at the moment is linking them with the Kilninian Parish records. There are however some surviving parish records which I think pertain to these two families.

John Livingston and his wife Catharine Campbell are said to have arrived in Nova Scotia in 1821 after leaving Kilninian Parish, Mull and a few years later settled in Cape BReton. A search fo John Livingston and Catharine Campbell and family in the Scottish Parish records provides this information:

Looking at the information collected from the original Kilninian Parish records I am thinking that we are dealing with two John Livingston and Catharine (Mary?) Campbell's one of which is
probably connected to the tenant settlement at Penmore and Aird of Penmore and another John Livingston and Catharine Campbell family east and north of Tobermory at Penalbanach.
Other researchers over the years have reached the same conclusion that this information refers to two families not one. If so then this is probably
how the information should read:

My Revision

John Levingston of Morvern and Catharine Campbell of Teang (Aros, Mull) were married January 22, 1805 Family No.1
1. John Livingston of Penalbannach bapt. January 24,1810 (Mother recorded as Mary Campbell)
2. Grace Livingstone of Penalbanach bapt. Dec. 15, 1811
3. Duncan Livingstone of Penalbanach bapt. Nov. 14, 1813
4. Hugh Livingstone of Kilmory bapt. Feb. 3, 1815
5.Flory Livingston of Kilmory bapt. Jan. 2, 1817
6. Mary Livingstone of Kingarar bapt. Aug. 1, 1818

John Livingston of Penmore, Mull and Catharine Campbell Family No. 2
married Dec.31, 1805 in Kilninian Parish, Mull
Children
1. Mary Levingston of Penmore bapt. Nov. 17,1806
2. John Levingston of Penmore bapt. June 27, 1808
3. Jannet Livingston of Aird (of Penmore) bapt. Sept.3,1810
4. Donald Livingston of Aird (of Penmore) bapt. Nov. 8, 1812
5. Alexander Livingston of Aird (of Penmore) bapt. June 3,1814
6. Catharine Livingston of Penmore bapt. Aug. 21, 1816
7. Colin Livingstone of Penmore bapt. Sept. 1, 1818
8. Christina Livingstone of Penmore bapt. Dec. 26, 1820

Another Livingston who may be related to John Livingston of Penmore, in Kininian Parish, Mull is Angus Livingston who married Christina (Christy) McLukas in 1796. All their children's baptism place them as family as residents of Penmore. I believe this ANgus Livingston, his wife and family or some of his family settled at Boularderie,Victoria County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1819. Victoria County as it turns out is near to Inverness County where I suspect one if not both of the John Livingston and Catharine Campbell families settled.
[b]Angus Livingston and Christina (Christy) McLukas of Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Northern Mull
Angus Livingston b. 1773 of Kilninian Parish, Mull, Argyll, Scotland m. Christina McLukas on Feb. 8, 1796[/b].

Children: (Lachlan not listed in Baptism records but known to have been born in 1799 and his 1818 marriage record is in the Kilninian Parish records)
1. Donald Levingston of Penmore bap. Nov. 12, 1798
2.Lachlan Livingstone of Penmore born abt. 1799? m. Margaret
Livingston Feb. 10, 1818 Penmore, Mull, Argyll (returned to Europe (Scotland?) in 1826 according to Cape Breton records)
3.Cathrine Livingstone of Penmore bapt. July 1, 1800
4. Archibald Livingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 23, 1803
married Jane Beaton in Cape Breton
5. Rodger (Roderick?) Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 Penmore d. 1870 Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton
6. John Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 (twins)
7. Alexander Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 23, 1807
Mull married Isabella Deeson in Cape Breton
8. Anne Livingston of Penmore bapt. Nov. 6, 1809
9. Cathrine Livingstone of Penmore bapt. Sep. 4. 1811
10. Angus Livingstone of Penmore bapt. March 28, 1815

Angus Livingston from Kilninian Parish, Mull arrived in Cape Breton about 1819 and
Received land at Boularderie in Victoria County,Cape Breton with several of his children and the known sons were Lachlan, Archibald, Roderick
and Alexander.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstons of Northern Mull, Argyll, Kilninian Parish

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

There are some picturesque ruins at the 19th century Penalbanach, Mull north of Tobermory where John Livingston and Catharine (Mary) Campbell lived for a time in the early 1800's after their 1803 marriage when they were living at Teang, Mull. By 1824, this John Livingston and Catharine Campbell with their family settled in Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton. Their January 22, 1803 marriage indicates that John Levingston of Morvern (Parish) and Catharine Campbell of Teang (Aros,Mull) married in Kilninian Parish.

http://www.mull-historical-society.co.u ... nalbanach/

regards,

Donald