Angus Livingstone of Boularderie, Cape Breton

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Angus Livingstone of Boularderie, Cape Breton

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,
The information below and my most recent thoughts on this subject are the culmination of earlier forum discussions and input in times past from our Cape Breton Livingstons the late Roberta Livingston, Jewel Brown, Barry Judson and others. For their Livingston ancestors and other Livingston families of Mull origin, Cape Breton became their second homeland and not unlike Mull and Argyllshire with its rugged coastline and natural beauty. Here they passed on their celtic heritage to future Livingston generations and years later Roberta, Jewel and Barry and many others of Mull and Cape Breton Scottish origins have found themselves seeking information on their ancestors, their origins and family history. Regarding Angus Livingston 1773-1840 of Penmore? Kilninian, Mull a former sailor and Royal Navy veteran having served on the Royal George which was defending the English Channel during the Napoleonic War period, who in 1819 settled on Boularderie island in Victoria County, Cape Breton, the forum was in contact several years with Ann Capstick who is one of the descendants of Angus Livingston and has done much research on old Angus.

I think at this time I am confident that the Angus Livingstone who resided at the tenant settlement of Penmore in Kilninian Parish, on the North Mull coast in the County of Argyll, Scotland in the late 1700's and early 1800's is the same Angus Livingstone born abt. 1773 who arrived in Cape Breton in 1819 and received a land grant at Boularderie in Victoria County, Cape Breton.
After working with a group of dedicated Livingston researchers over the years and recently taking a second look at the information originating from both Nova Scotia and from Scotland it is my opinion that Angus Livingstone who came to Cape Breton in Sept. of 1819, a former sailor on the H.M.S. Royal George was Angus Livingstone of Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Northern Mull, Argyll, Scotland. ANgus Livingstone born abt. 1773 married Christina McLukas in 1796 in Kilninian Parish, Argyll location unknown but all of the children of Angus Livingstone and Christina McLukas were residing at Penmore at the time of their baptisms which took place from the year 1798 to 1815. In addition to a marriage record from 1796 which just states Livingston and McLukas the rest not legible, there was a marriage record for a Lachlan Livingston of Penmore in 1818 a year or so before the family of ANgus Livingston including one of his eldest sons Lachlan left in 1819 for Nova Scotia and settled in Cape Breton in Sept. of 1819 according to one of Angus Livingston land petitions in Cape Breton. The list of children below is based on the baptism entries I found for the children of Angus Livingston of Penmore and his wife Christina McLukas from the years 1798 to 1815. The only child I believed whose baptism is missing in the old Kilninian Parish book was the son Lachlan born abt. 1799 however with great luck I found the same Lachlan's marriage record an entry in the old parish book noting that Lachlan Livingston of Penmore married a Margaret Livingston on 1818. Subsequently in Lachlan's 1820 petition for a land grant in Cape Breton he mentions that he is age 21 and a new father with one child which fits very nicely with my notion that this is the Lachlan of Penmore, Kilninian Parish Mull Argyll who married in 1818 back in Mull, Scotland. Note that I included Lachlan with the baptism info of the other children and that we know the Lachlan that lived briefly in Cape Breton according to his land petition of 1820 was age 21 and therefore born abt. 1799 although no surviving birth or baptismal record exists. I have added him to the list of children from the baptism records so that all of ANgus Livingstone's children are documented.
The Scottish Parish Kilninian Parish, Mull, Argyll County Records
Angus Livingston and Christina (Christy) McLukas of Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Northern Mull
Angus Livingston b. 1773 of Kilninian Parish, Mull, Argyll, Scotland m. Christina McLukas on Feb. 8, 1796

Children: (Lachlan not listed in Baptism records but known to have been born in 1799 and Lachlan's 1818 marriage record before the Penmore family left Scotland in 1819 is in the Kilninian Parish records. A land petition from Cape Breton in the year 1820 indicates that the recently married elder son of ANgus is the father of one child likely his firstborn.)
1. Donald Levingston of Penmore bap. Nov. 12, 1798
2.Lachlan Livingstone of Penmore born abt. 1799? m. Margaret Livingstone Feb. 10, 1818 Penmore, Mull, Argyll (returned to Europe (Scotland?) in 1826 according to Cape Breton records)
3.Cathrine Livingstone of Penmore bapt. July 1, 1800
4. Archibald Livingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 23, 1803 in Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Mull d.May 21,1891 Bras d'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton
married in Cape Breton Jane Beaton b. abt. 1806 in Argyll, Scotland d. Sept. 25, 1869 Bras D'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton
5. Rodger (Roderick?) Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 Penmore d. 1870 Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton m. Isabella Sutherland
6. John Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 (twins) (Roger (Roderick) and John were twins)
7. Alexander Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 23, 1807 d. Sept. 1894 Big Bras d'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton
Mull married Isabella Deeson in Cape Breton
8. Anne Livingston of Penmore bapt. Nov. 6, 1809
9. Cathrine Livingstone of Penmore bapt. Sep. 4. 1811
10. Angus Livingstone of Penmore bapt. March 28, 1815

Angus Livingston from Kilninian Parish, Mull arrived in Cape Breton in 1819 and
received land at Boularderie in Victoria County,Cape Breton with several of his children and the known sons were Lachlan, Archibald, Roderick
and Alexander. One of the eldest sons of old ANgus of Boularderie, Lachlan born abt. 1799 returned to Europe (Scotland?) in 1826.

Early Cape Breton, (Nova Scotia) Information on Angus Livingston and family

1820 Land Petition Cape Breton
Angus Livingstone Petition to Ainslie
Petitioner a native of Scotland is married and has eight children. He has lived in Cape Breton since Sept. 1819. He served in the navy. He asks for a lot in the west side of Boularderie. Note: recommended name: Kilninian.

1820 Land Petition Cape Breton
Lachlan Livingstone Petition to Ainslie
Petitioner age 21 a native of Scotland is married and has one child. He has lived in Cape Breton about four months. He asks for a lot on the south side Great Bras d'Or Note: Recommended name Frackit Hill

1825 Land Petition Cape Breton
Archibald Livingstone Petition to Wallace
Petitioner is a native of Scotland 21 single and asks for a lot on the south side of Boularderie near the entrance of the Bras d'Or. The lot was formerly located to petitioner brother Lachlan who resigned it and has gone back to Europe. Note: A fishers lot 100 acres approved.

1826 Land Petition Cape Breton
Angus Livingston Petition to Kempt
Petitioner is a native of Scotland age 53 is married and has eight children. He received from Gov. Ainslie a lot in Great Bras d'or where he is the first settler. He served in the navy on the Royal George and also in the local militia. He asks a grant of 100 acres conferred on him and of another 100 acres on the outside of the fishing lots. Note: Approved
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Angus Livingstone of Boularderie, Cape Breton

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

I know how much time Donald has been investing in Livingstone geneology research lately and if anyone could have thought it possible, he has raised the bar once again. A big thank you to Donald :)

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone of Boularderie, Cape Breton

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

I think the next step regarding Angus Livingston (1773-1840) of Boularderie and Bras'd'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia is to try to prove that Angus Livingston was an Uncle of Alexander Livingston and his brother Collin Livingston of Whycocomagh, Inverness. John Livingston of Penmore, Mull had several children including a Colin and Alexander Livingston apparently born around the same time as Alexander Livingston and his brother your ancestor Colin Livingston who lived years later in Whycocomagh in the 1850's before Colin and his family went to PEI in the 1860's. While I have reason to believe that Alexander and possibly Colin lived in the Mull River area before Alexander established a farm on Skye Mt. near Whycocomagh I now do not think that Alexander and Colin Livingston of the Skye Mt /Whycocomagh area of Inverness County and John Livingston Jr of Mull River were related. Alexander and John Livingston Juniors wife were apparently sisters both born in PEI but I don't believe that Alexander of Skye Mt. Whycocomagh and John Livingston Junior though both distant ancestrally related as Western Argyll Livingstons weren't closely related. I am thinking now that it is the nearby Bouladerie, Bras D'ror, Victoria County Livingstons that may be more closely related to the descendants of Alexander Livingston of Skye Mt. Whycocomagh and your Livingston cousin a descendant of your ancestor Colin Livingston of Whycocomagh, Inverness County, Cape Breton and later in the 1860's Kings County, PEI. In any event I think it possible for us to eventually be able to prove this to be the case or not. I think in looking for kin to Alexander and his brother Colin Livingston your ancestor and your cousins that we looked at the other original 19th century Livingston family in Inverness County where Alexander and Colin lived and I think we have pretty much done that. I think given the recent research I did that showed the possibility that Alexander and Colin might be the sons of a John Livingston of PEnmore Mull who seems to have lived at Penmore Mull around the same time probably as the Angus Livingston also of Penmore Mull, who came to Cape Breton in 1819 and settled not far in the next county where two Sons Alexander and Colin sons of this John Livingston of Penmore, Mull later I believe appear years later in the records. Phase 2 of the Alexander and Colin Livingston of Whycocomagh, Inverness County and the search for their relatives in the early 1800's begins. Part of that is a study of Alexander Livingston of Penmore Mull who settled in 1819 in Boularderie area of Victoria County, Cape Breton and research regarding his descendants. I really think it quite possible that the Skye Mt. WHycocommagh Livingstons in 19th century Inverness County, Cape Breton and the Livingstons of Boularderie/Bras d'or in nearby Victoria County were cousins both families connected to Penmore Mull.

regards,

Donald