David Livingston 1856-1901 of Stockton, Australia update

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

David Livingston 1856-1901 of Stockton, Australia update

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

In light of updated research of David Wyse Livingston's Tranent parish, East Lothian ancestors I have noticed a possible error in the lineage of another David Livingston born 1855 or 1856 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian, Scotland who was married to Jessie Stout and who later in the 1800's settled in New South Wales in Australia where he was employed as miner in the Stockton Colliery and apparently died in an accident on November 2, 1901. I noticed what I think may be an error regarding one of his 18th century ancestors which results in necessary corrections in his lineage info which I am now undertaking. New information has come to light which points to this possible error in one of the generations and that points me in another direction regarding his earliest known Livingston ancestors in Scotland. The changes interestingly seem to link this Livingston in Australia as a distant relative of David Wyse Livingston and I think this is probably the case.

This is the updated and corrected ancestral line info with a few correction of David Livingston (1855-1901) of Stockton, New South Wales, Australia
David moved to Sydney Australia in 1884 and later to Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.

1. David Livingston coal miner born November 10, 1855 or 1856 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. Nov. 2, 1901 in Stockton,Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia m. June 22, 1880 in District of Old Marcher, County of Aberdeen Jessie Stout b. January 19, 1862 in Lerwick Parish, Shetland, Scotland daughter of Oliver Stout sailor, ship master, merchant services and Louisa Williamson.

2. William Livingston coal miner born June 15, 1815 Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. ? after 1881 m. unknown Margaret Landels or Landells b. January 20, 1816 baptized Feb. 4, 1816 Tranent parish, East Lothian d. Feb. 11, 1883 Tranent Parish, Haddington County Parents: Archibald Landells or Landles coal miner and Jane Jeffrey

3. Alexander Livingston b. March 22 or 29 1789 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. before 1841 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian m. March 24, 1809 Tranent Parish, East Lothian Janet Mark b. 1789 Elphinstone, Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. aft. 1851

4. James Livingston b. August 21, 1763 Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. ? m. 1780's Sarah Wood in Tranent Parish, East Lothian

5. Alexander Livingston b. unknown d. unknown m. Dec. 25, 1751 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian Elizabeth Hog

(The last one is not a certainty but was the only Livingstons of their generation residing in Tranent Parish in the 1720's and 1730's.)
6. William Livingston m. Margaret Innes May 8, 1730 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian (this assumes that Alexander was born in Tranent Parish) ?
No birth record for Alexander Livingston but as William Livingston was the only Livingston of the next generation recorded in the records residing in Tranent Parish during the period that Alexander was born I think it quite probable that William Livingston and his wife Margaret Innes are his parents.

As the old article on David states that he worked in a coal mine at the time of his death and was born at Tranent on November 10th 1856 I think I have the found your ancestor David Livingston and his family in the Scottish records. The family lived at what was called the Coal Nook in village of Tranent in the 1850's and 1860's apparently. William Livingston is residing at Tranent in the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, and 1881 census then he seems to disappear. I could not find a death record in East Lothian County for him however. I think that his wife Margaret died sometime between 1871 and 1881 as she does appear with him in the 1881 Census at Tranent. William is a boarder by the time of the 1881 census and not living with family. In the 1881 Census there is a WIlliam Livingston born abt. 1815 at Tranent a solitary Boarder but no signs of the rest of the family at Tranent. Not sure if this is David's father William. Could the family have gone to Australlia after 1871? I assume from the article that you included that your ancestor David Livingstone was in Australia by the early 1880's if not before.

I believe that William Livingston was born or baptised on 02/07/1815 in Tranent Parish,East Lothian County, Scotland or born June 15, 1815. HIs parents recorded as Alexander Livingston and Janet Mark. Alexander Livingston died sometime before the 1841 Census. The 1851 Census confirms that Janet Mark (Mrs Alexander Livingston) widower was very likely William of Coal Nook, Tranent mother and therefore Alexander Livingston and Janet Mark are almost certainly your ancestors. The 1851 census indicates tha Janet Mark was born in Elphinston, East Lothian. I dont know where Alexander was born though I may be able find their East Lothian County marriage record which may tell us where Alexander lived at the time of his marriage to Janet Mark.

1841 Tranent Parish, Tranent New Row (earliest census records of your kin)
Widow Livingstone age 49 (|This would be Janet Mark the widow Alexander Livingstone)
William Coalminer age 25 (a few years before his marriage to Margaret Landales of Tranent)
Margaret age 20
David age 17
Hugh age 14
Janet age 10

1851 Tranent Parish, Tranent Coal Nook
Janet Mark age 62 widow b. Elphinston, East Lothian (Mrs.Alexander Livingstone) (Note: Alexander Livingston married Janet Mark daughter of James Mark March 24,1809)
Hugh Livingstone age 24
Janet age 20

1861 Tranent Parish, Tranent address: Coal Nook
William Livingston age 45
Margaret age 43 (Margaret Landales)
Janet age 16
Archibald age 14
William age 11
Margaret age 10
Jane age 8
David age 5 (your David Livingston)

1871 Tranent Parish Tranent