Malcolm Livingstone of Pictou County Nova Scotia 1791

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
SusanJohnson

Re: Malcolm Livingstone of Pictou County Nova Scotia 1791

Post by SusanJohnson »

Donald,

I called you David in my previous email; I apologize. It's been one of those weeks!

Susan
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Susan,

Not a problem. Sometimes I forget my own name. I was going to remind you that Janet's brother Allan and some other Livingston family connected to old Malcolm's sons are buried at St David's United Church Cemetery also known I think as Cape George Pioneer Cemetery. You might want to put that on your list of places to check out when your in the Cape George area. And of course Livingstone Cove. If you are going to have a camera with you be sure to take some photos of Livingstone's cove and Cape George in Antigonish County, the coastal scenery and where Malcolm and family settled if that be determined. Not too far from there is Pictou County and Merigomish and somewhere in the Merigomish and Little Harbour area I think Malcolm and family first settled before some years later receiving land in the Cape George/Livingstone Cove area of ANtigonish County.

regards,

Donald
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald,

I recently came across this obituary for John Livingstone, son of John. Thought you might find it interesting.

Best regards,
Susan

Last Name: Livingstone
Full Name: John Livingstone
Date Published: 5/14/1900
Date of Death: 5/1/1900

Obituary: There died at his home in Victoria Mines, C.B., on the 1st. day of May 1900, Mr. John Livingstone at the advanced age of 93. He was born on June 7, 1807 and was married in 1829 to Miss Annie McGillivray. He was the father of eleven children; 53 grandchildren, 71 great grandchildren. His father John Livingstone was born in the Isle of Mull and married a Miss McPhee in 1806, came to this country and settled in PEI the same year. Although living to such a great age, the deceased was strong and robust until within a short time of his death. He was well and favourably known throughout the county and was particularly esteemed in his own village as a charitable and good living man. D.D. Livingstone late collector of Pilotage, North Sydney, Angus Livingstone, Victoria Mines, and George Livingstone of Shawnee, Ohio are sons of the deceased.

Published in: The Casket
Contributor: Maureen McNeil
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Susan,

I found this Livingston death notice for Duncan Livingstone of Livingstone's Cove, Cape George, ANtigonish County, Nova Scotia a son of Malcolm Livingston particularly of interest in that it confirms the 1791 arrival year as indicated in his father Malcolm Livingston Junior's 1792 land petition in Nova Scotia.

b]Morning Chronicle (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
Monday, 20 December 1880, p. 3, col. 3:

Deaths - At Livingstone's Cove, Cape George, Antigonish County, on the 8th inst., in the 90th year of his age, Duncan LIVINGSTONE. Deceased was born in the year 1791 on board the emigrant ship Ann, off the coast of Ireland, on a voyage from Scotland to America.

Compare this to his father Malcolm Livington Junior's earlier Land Petition back in the year 1792

Malcolm Livingstone Jr. 1792

To his Excellency John Wentworth Esquire Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief in and over his Majesty's Province of Nova Scotia
and Honorable His Majestie's Council
THe Memorial of Malcolm Livingstone Junior of Merrigomish
Humbly Shewith
That your Excellency and Honours Memorialist come to this settler and his family consisting of Nine in number from the Highlands of Scotland in the month of September last with other Emigrants brought by Simon Frazer
That your Excellency's memorialist has been very assidious in promoting the plan of emigration and has made very considerable improvement upon a small lot of land that he purchased and lives upon it presently with his family but has never received his own lands from Government. May it therefore please your Excellency and Honours to consider what is above represented
and to authorize or to grant to your memorialist such quantity as may be thought fit.
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald,

It's been a while and I hope this message finds you well. I think I have found my ggggg grandfather, Malcolm Livingstone's parents!

Here's what I have found:

Malcolm Livingstone
b. January 1, 1729, Kildalton
d. March 18, 1821, W. Kilpatrick

Katherine McArthur
b. August 23, 1738, Kildalton

Malcolm (Sr.) and Katherine were married in 1758 in Lismore.

A son, Duncan was born 1759 in Lismore
A son, Malcolm (Jr.) was born 1769 in Lismore (Malcolm Jr. died in 1815 in Cape Breton, NS)
A daughter, Kate was born

Malcolm Jr (my ggggg grandfather) married Catherine "Kate" McPhee in 1779 in Argyll, Scotland.
They had 10 children.

My search continues, but wanted to share this find!

Best,
Susan