Descendant of Lot 65, 31, 30 PEI Donald Livingstone family

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Garland LivingstoneC

Descendant of Lot 65, 31, 30 PEI Donald Livingstone family

Post by Garland LivingstoneC »

Hello Everyone,

I am a descendant of the Lot 65, 31, 30 PEI Donald Livingstone family, and I am looking to broaden my understanding of my family's history, and to form new relationships with those seeking the same. Here is what I have as to my MacLea/Livingstone lineage so far, and I would welcome any insight, and/or correction suggestions that any may have:

Emigrated to PEI June 20 1806 on the brig Rambler:" Donald Livingstone & Mary Campbell family > Duncan Livingstone; John Livingstone; Donald Livingstone; Flora MacPhail [Livingstone];Alexander Livingstone

Duncan Livingstone & Catherine ? family > Margaret MacLean [Livingstone]; Flora McDonald [Livingstone]; Catherine MacPhee [Livingstone]; Mary McKinnon [Livingstone]; Allan Livingstone; John Livingstone; Donald Livingstone; Dugald Livingstone

Allan Livingstone & Jannet McDonald family > Allan Livingstone; John Ewen Livingstone, Alexander Livingstone; Hugh Livingstone

Hugh Livingstone & Isabelle Florence White family > Elmo Garland Livingstone; Edna P Holmes [Livingstone]; Alton Hugh Livingstone Sr.

Elmo Garland Livingstone & Florence Anna Hegner, (1st. wife) family > Phyllis Isabelle Cole [Livingstone]; Robert Livingstone
Elmo Garland Livingstone & Rosauro Gonzalez (2nd wife) family > Marie Doria [Livingstone]; Tina Livingstone, Ernest Livingstone; Rosalie Livingstone; Paul Livingstone; David Livingstone; Hugh Livingstone

Harold F Cole & Phyllis Isabelle Livingstone family > Garland Livingstone Cole; Stacey Florence Cole; Julia Catherine Cole

Garland Livingstone Cole<Harold F Cole & Phyllis Isabelle Livingstone< Elmo Garland Livingstone & Florence Anna Hegner< Hugh Livingstone & Isabelle Florence White< Allan Livingstone & Jannet McDonald< Duncan Livingstone & Catherine ?< Donald Livingstone & Mary Campbell

I was wondering if anyone has some information on the maiden name of Catherine, Duncan Livingstone's wife. I am also looking to find more information on the Jannet McDonald line of my family. I have her parents names as, John McDonald & Margaret MacKenzie, and her siblings names, Charles McDonald & John McDonald.

Thanks to all of you in your keeping this forum so vital with family history, records, and resources. It was wonderful to find postings of my grandfather's brother, Alton Hugh Livingstone Sr.'s grandchildren, Ralph 'Don' Livingstone & Donna Reale [Livingstone]. As yet, I have not made direct contact with them. I have never met any of the descendants of Alton, and I look forward to the future possible opportunity to do so. And, thanks to this forum the opportunity is now possible.

Garland Livingstone Cole
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Descendant of Lot 65, 31, 30 PEI Donald Livingstone fami

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Garland,

Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you have visited here before. It is good to hear that you found in the past some family info here of help to your Prince Edward Island QUeens County Lot 65 Livingstone family research. On behalf of all who have contributed to the PRince Edward Island Livingstone family research over the years, thank-you very much for that ringing endorsement of the Forum. We appreciate your input and that of everyone who has shared their PEI Livingston family information with us and participated in the discussions over the years.

If I understand correctly you are a direct descendant of Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65 farmer/ resident Allan Livingston b.1814 d. 1888 his wife Janet McDonald, his son Hugh and Hugh's son Elmo Garland Livingstone. We would greatly appreciate information on your ancestral trail by that I mean when your Livingstons left Nine Mile Creek, QUeens County, PEI and who went where and when. David Michael Livingston of California like you is a direct descendant of Allan Livingstone and Janet McDonald. I will look up the details of his ancestral connection to Nine Mile Creek Allan Livingston. One of his ancestors a son of Allan Livingston left Nine Mile Creek and settled in Massachussetts. I have noticed a few Livingstons from both PEI and Nova Scotia who ended up in Massachusetts given it's close proximity to Atlantic Canada.

You may be especially surprised when I tell you that the actually history of the NIne Mile Creek Livingstons is much more complicated than most ever suspected and David Michael Livingston a direct descendant of Allan Livingston and Janet McDonald and I have been working over the last few years to make sense of a most odd turn of events at Nine Mile Creek in the 19th century. It turns out odd as this may seem that there are two unrelated or I should say not very closely related Livingston families that settled at Nine Mile Creek one after the other in the 19th century; the original family of DOnald Livingstone b. 1750 of Morvern and later Mull and after 1840 Allan Livingston 1814-1888 and his apparent brother Donald Livingston born abt 1810 both oddly enough born in Scotland several years after old Nine Mile Creek pioneer Donald Livingston b. 1750 and his family arrived in 1806 in the Nine Mile Creek Queens county area. I noticed this oddity that the two late 19th century farmer of the Nine Mile Creek area Allan Livingston married to Janet McDonald and DOnald Livingston married Catharine Cameron should be born in Scotland not in PEI and seem to arrive at Nine Mile Creek after old Donald had died and most of his sons had left to other parts of PRince Edward Island. To make certain this theory of two distinct Western Argyll Livingston families settling both one after the other apparently in Nine Mile Creek we actually were able to determine through genealogical DNA testing that they dont appear to be closely related only distantly related as Argyll Livingstons. More to follow tomorrow.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Garland LivingstoneC

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your quick response. You bring up some very interesting points as it pertains to Allen and Donald Livingstone not being directly related to the Donald Sr. family. I have a US census from 1900 that has listed: Hugh Livingstone, wife Isabelle, daughter Edna, sons Elmo & Alton, and brother Alex Livingstone. The daughter and sons birth places are listed as Ma., USA. The wife Isabelle's country of birth is Canada. Hugh and his brother Alex list their birth countries as Canada, but interesting enough, it is listed that BOTH father and mother's birth countries are Scotland. I assume that Isabelle provided the information to the Census taker as the two men were employed, and she is listed as a house wife, and one of her children was to young to attend school. She is listed as having been born on PEI. Hugh and Isabelle's naturalization papers read that they were both 16 years of age when they emigrated to the US from PEI by way of Pictou, N.S. in 1885. I have Hugh and Alex's mother's information as Jannet McDonald, "- On 3 Nov 1847 Allan married Janet (JENNET) McDONALD, in Charlottetown, PEI. Clergy Rev. Silas F. Rand, Baptist minister; witnesses John McDonald & Margaret McKenzie. Born in 1825/1826 in Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65, PEI. Janet (JENNET) died in Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65, PEI, on 20 Mar 1891. Buried in Canoe Cove Cem., Lot 65, PEI. Religion: Free Ch. Of Scot." I also have quotes from her will: "- Her will [Lib 12, Folio 542 PEI Archives Registers of Wills] gives her farm of 60 ac. and stock, implements and furniture to her son John Ewen Livingstone. Executors were her son Allan Livingstone and her brothers John and Charles McDonald, all of Nine Mile Creek. Jennet made her mark on 2 Sept 1890, witnessed by Neil S. McKenzie and Angus Campbell, and the will was proved on oath of Angus Campbell 1 April 1891. This farm may have been a piece of land that she inherited in her own name from the McDonald family as the Livingston farm is thought to have gone to the first son Allan Livingston." Currently, I have Allan Livingstone & Jannet McDonald's children as: Allan b. 1848; John Ewen b. 1857; Alexander b. 1865; & Hugh b. 1869. In the 1910 US census, Hugh's brother Alex is no longer listed as living in his household. We know that he returned to PEI. I have photographs dating from the 1920's of my grandfather, Elmo taking his immediate family up to visit the Livingstone family farm on PEI. Unfortunately, the back of the pictures do not spell out any names for identification purposes. I assume the identities of the persons in the photo's to be that of 1st. cousins on his father, Hugh's side of the family. Elmo's siblings, Edna, and Alton resided in the Boston, Ma. area during the 1920's as did Elmo.

Looking forward to our next communica,

Garland Livingstone Cole
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Garland,

Yes I think that 1881 Census info clearly indicating that your ancestor Allan Livingston born abt. 1814 was born in Scotland and that other Nine Mile Creek area Livingston farmer Donald Livingston born abt. 1810 or 1811 also in Scotland was a major clue that they are a second highland Livingston to reside in Nine Mile Creek as odd as this may all seem. Believe me David Michael livingston and I scratched our heads for many an hour over this one. THe DNA test though between two descendants of the two families seems to concur with the notion that while both share a common Maconlea/Livingstone ancestor long ago in Western Argyllshire, Scotland they are not a close as one expect to be if they were descended from the same more recent family group. THe census information pretty back the DNA results and the DNA results back the Census information I guess you could say. I just don't relish the thought of trying to explain this to the descendants of both Nine Mile Creek Livingston families as may greatly confuse things, but it would seem to be the only explanation we can come up with. It is pretty clear that Allan Livingston and Donald Livingston were not born residing in PEI at the time of their birth and the fact that is the case for both of them suggests they both are of another Livingston family.

I guess you have this marriage info from 1894 of your ancestors Hugh and Isobel Livingston

City of Cambridge, Massachusetts
July 3 1894 Hugh A. Livingston born PEI carpenter age 24 son of Allan and Janet married Isobel F. White born PEI age 24 domestic daughter of Charles and Sarah

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Garland,

Have you been to the Canoe Cove Cemetery at Lot 65, Queens County, PEI where your ancestors Allan Livingstone and Janet McDonald are buried? Buried there is also Catharine Cameron wife of the Donald Livingston I mentioned born abt. 1810 or 1811 also in Scotland. No information on where Donald was buried. Also buried in that cemetery an older Catharine Livingston widow of a Duncan Livingston. I thought this Duncan Livingston born in the late 1700's to be the son of the original pioneer Donald Livingstone born abt. 1750 and that may be the case. My research of the early land maps suggests from an early land map that a Duncan Livingston was residing in the 1840's and probably before on a lot which Alexander Livingston Sr. and his son Alexander Livingston Jr. subsequently acquired. Originally I just assumed that this was because Alexander Sr. was the son of Duncan who was the son of pioneer settler Donald Livingstone but now of course that logical scenario apparently is not the case.

The Nine Mile Creek Livingstons I understand have long since left the Nine Mile Creek area.

regards,

Donald
Garland LivingstoneC

Hi Donald,

I have other US census reports that designate Allan Sr. as originating from Scotland. I think it safe to say that between the DNA discrepancies, and these census reports that this line of Allen & Donald is not directly related to the to the Donald Livingstone family emigrated from Mull in 1806. I think that I need to begin studying passenger list to see if there is a Livingstone family with two sons that migrated sometime after Allan and Donald's birth.

Yes, I have visited the Canoe Cove cemetery online.

Thanks for your help.

Garland
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Garland,
This was one thing I found interesting, intruiging and somewhat puzzling regarding the notion that there are two unrelated highland Livingston families that settled in the Nine Mile Creek area.
My understanding is that before the death of Nine Mile Creek pioneer Donald Livingstone Sr. b.1750 around 1840 he was located on a 100 acre lot west of the actual creek and that his son? Duncan Livingston was located on a lot east of the Creek. An old land use map in the PEI archives shows a Duncan Livingston and beside his lot a Widow McInnes residing on two lot east of the Creek. Later land Use Maps done sometime after 1840 then and after this DUncan Livingston apparently died I suprised that Allan Livingston and later his son Allan Livingston Jr. occupied the lot formerly occupied by Duncan Livingston and this neighbour circa 1840's and probably before that the Widow McINnes. At first I though ok as Researcher John Collins had thought this Allan Livingston Sr. was a son of DUncan Livingston and he simply occupied this lot and his son later the one next to it or whichever lot of the two it was some years after Duncan Livingston's death because they were kin to him. Seemed to make sense. Only later I began to realize from the DNA testing and that born in Scotland info that they could be Duncan Livingston's son. And then I discovered that this mysterious Allan Livingston Sr. who was born in Scotland seemed to have an older brother Donald Cameron Livingston also married to a Catharine Cameron a Cameron herself. He also was located in the Nine Mile Creek apparently on a 100 acre lot west of Nine Mile Creek. At first I assumed that he in the years after 1840 being a grandson the original Donald livingston b. 1750 ended up on his 100 acre lot west of the creek but I could of course not prove that. In the end all I really know is that after the death of Donald Livingston, a Duncan Livingston possibly his son had died we see the emergence of your ancestor Allan Livingston in the land records and subsequence Census records along with this DOnald Livingston born abt. 1811 or 1810 in Scotland like Alexander and clearly to my thinking Brothers from Scotland.

So i assume that Alexander Sr. is not related to DUncan Livingston. That DUncan Livingston was the Duncan Livingston son of old Donald of Nine Mile Creek and that he like his father died around 1840 and that he is buried in Canoe Cove Cemetery in an unmarked grave beside his wife Catharine. She has a gravestone and it states that she died in the 1870's in her 90's a relict of Duncan Livingston. Farmer Donald C Livingston, Allan's brother? has no gravestone but his wife Catharine Cameron you may have noticed also has a gravestone she also dying in the 1870's. It is pretty interesting to me that Alexander who I think is not related to or not closely related to original Livingston family at Nine Mile ends up with son Alexander Livingston Jr. settling on the lot of DUncans and the one right beside it in the years following Duncan's death. What do you make of that? My original thoughts as mentioned was simply that Allan and his son settled on DUncan's lot and the neighbouring one of the Widow Mcinness after their deaths and his brother Donald settled on a 100 acre lot formerly occupied by pioneer Donald Livingston but I not certain that the latter part of this is accurate though we do know that this Donald Livingston brother? of Allan Livingston did end up by the 1860's I think on a 100 acre lot a little west of the Creek while Allan and his son were a little east of creek. There is some conflicting info on this but that is where they seem be looking at the later land maps of the area. So know you see why your cousin David Michael Livingston and I were so perplexed by this mystery of all this. I can direct you to source of the land maps and you can take a look at them if you like. John Collins the Donald Livingston of Nine Mile Creek and family researcher quite logically assumed that this Duncan b. abt. 1775? and Catharine Cameron who is buried in the Canoe Cove cemetery were the parents of Allan Livingston and Donald Livingston of later Nine Mile Creek but as David Michael and i were to find out that seems not to be the case. I have contacted David and hope that he will drop by and provide you with his own insights.

regards,

Donald
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald and Garland,

In researching my 4th great-grandfather, Malcolm Livingstone of Pictou, NS 1791, I came across references to two John Livingstone's: one being Malcolm's brother and the other being Malcolm's son, both of whom left Pictou and went to Prince Edward Island. I looked further and I found information that I believe is about Malcolm's brother John, an early settler of PEI. I thought it was worth sharing.

Best regards,
Susan

On page 161 of A History of the County of Antigonish, Nova Scotia, (1929), Rev. D.J. Rankin writes mostly about Malcolm, but he begins the Livingstone chapter by writing:

LIVINGSTONE
This family came from Lochaber, Scotland and settled at what is now called Livingstone Cove. MALCOLM LIVINGSTONE was the original of this family. A brother of his went to Prince Edward Island and another brother, John, went to Inverness where he was married to Isabella MacDonald of Eigg. He had two sons: Angus who died young and Malcolm who was married to Sarah Cameron, with issue: Allan (Captain); Alexander (Captain); Donald died unmarried; Angus and Colin not married; John; Ann married to Alex MacIsaac; and Mary married to John MacDonald.

On page 260 of History of Inverness County, Nova Scotia (1922), J.L. MacDougall's chapter on the Livingstone Family is entirely about John. Not only does he confirm Rev. Rankin's writings, but J.L. MacDougall provides even more details:

THE LIVINGSTONE FAMILY
John Livingstone of Fort William, Scotland, came to Cape George, Antigonish, about the year 1812. He was married to Isabel MacDonald, A native of Eigg, and has two sons and seven daughters. They moved to Little Judique in 1818 and bought 400 acres of land from a Mr. Watts. One of the sons, Angus, died at the age of 10 years.

The other son, Malcolm, stayed on the Little Judique Farm and married Sarah Cameron, who’s people settled in Judique, and had a family of twelve children, among who were the following: Captain Allan, who died a few years ago; Captain Alick drowned on the Grand Banks in 1888; Donald and Angus who died in midlife at home; Colin, who died on the farm unmarried, not many years since; and John, who is still living on the farm at the advanced age of 90 years.

The daughters of the first John Livingstone were: Ann, married to Alexander MacIsaac, a native of Eigg, who settled at Little Judique about 1815, with issue; Mary, who married John MacDonald of Judique Banks and had a family; Catherine, who married James MacDonald, Rear Judique, with issue; Sarah, who was married to Roderick MacDonald of Low Point, with issue; and Margaret, who was married to Donald MacDonald of Judique Banks, and had a family. Two daughters remained single and died at home.

John, son of Malcolm (son of John) was married to Katie, daughter of Big Rory MacDonald of Judique, with issue: Malcolm, Roderick, Alexander, Hugh and Jessie.

Captain Allan was married to a daughter of John Chisholm (Colin), river Dennis, with issue: Malcolm on the homestead, two daughters in the United States and one at home.

Captain Alick not married.

Donald married to a daughter of Big John MacIsaac, Upper South West, with issue: one son Malcolm and two daughters, one married in the United States and one married to Duncan MacInnis (Sandy Rob’s), Judique.

The daughters of Malcolm Livingstone (son of Donald, son of John) were: Christy, Isabel and Mary.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

I was not very certain in the past as to the Fort William area connection of John Livingston settler of Judique, Inverness County and his possible connection to Malcolm Livingston early settler of Cape George, Antigonish County and before that Merigomish, Pictou County, but of course since locating those 1780's baptisms from Garvan which took place in Kilmallie parish in Ardgour a district in Lochaber, Argyll a few miles the nearest town of Fort William in neighbouring Inverness-shire I am much more convinced that there is a family connection between Malcolm Livingston born abt. 1740? of Antigonish County and John Livingston born abt. 1773? of Judique, Inverness County. THe fact that John named his son born in 1803 Malcolm and the fact that Livingstone Cove is relatively close to the Western shore of Inverness County, Cape Breton where Judique is located. See the map I included in the other posting. I think there is good chance that the author of that old Antigonish County history could have been correct about that connection. My own hunch is that John Livingston is an older son of the Malcolm Livingston born abt. 1740 perhaps from earlier marriage and arrrived later in 1803 as indicated in John Livingstone's census record of 1818.

THe PEI families we are discussing that settled at Nine Mile Creek in particular old Donald Livingstone b. 1750, his son Duncan and others are recorded in a passenger list of a vessel that arrived at PEI in 1806 from Mull and it is known from other records by a family researcher in Canada related to old Donald Livingstone that this family originated in Movern parish and later were in neighbouring Mull where in 1806 they departed for Prince Edward Island. The second Livingston family that includes two apparent brothers Allan Lvingston born abt. 1814 in Scotland and Donald Livingston born abt. 1811 in Scotland arrived in PEI sometime around 1840 or early 1830's and unfortunately Allan's descendant and I have been working for a few years now to solve the Nine Mile Creek mystery, all aspects of it including where Allan and Donald came from. The dna testing of a descendant of Allan Livingston 1814-1888 indentifies this Livingston famlly as being likely from Mull or neighbouring Morvern in Western Argyll but have not been found in the Scottish parish records. So precisely when or where they came from is still a mystery but they are only known as the last of the pioneer Livingstons to farm at Nine Mile Creek or at least they and the family of these two Livingstons. I knew how hopeless and complex this Nine Mile Creek Livingston family project was but Allan's descendant David Michael and I took another look at the information in 2015 and made some progress on it, though there is no simple answer to this mystery of the two unrelated Livingston families ending up in the same general location and apparently on the same lot in some or all cases that alludes us.

regards,

Donald
Garland LivingstoneC

Hi Donald,
All of the information that you have provided is fascinating. I can see how researcher Collin Wood could easily assume the direct lineage tie to Donald Sr. of the 1806 emigration from Mull.

I would appreciate it very much if you could direct me to your land maps source. As I mentioned earlier, I have photos of my mother and grandfather visiting the relative Livingstone farm on PEI back in the 1920's. If there were any Lot 65, PEI plot maps from that time period that had a Livingstone name attached I would find that an interesting subject to pursue.

Thanks again,
Garland